Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stargate Universe 2009

EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Well if your a fan on the TV series we see there is another spin off coming later this year. I hear it sounds almost like a Lost in Space, but not to much detail has been said or even if this is true.

All I known from random website is that we have a Ancient Ship called the Destiny and apparently we are going to pick-up where the Ancients left off on this ship.

Comments

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

nice. i said lost in space as an MMO i would most def play a couple years ago on some forum.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by HiGHPLaiNS

Well if your a fan on the TV series we see there is another spin off coming later this year. I hear it sounds almost like a Lost in Space, but not to much detail has been said or even if this is true.
    All I known from random website is that we have a Ancient Ship called the Destiny and apparently we are going to pick-up where the Ancients left off on this ship.

Best place for information : www.gateworld.net/

Episode titles and interviews etc

Here is some info from that site:

NOTES & SPOILERS

(Newest information is added to the bottom)

The premiere episode of Stargate Universe will be two hours in length (including commercials), and will debut on the SCI FI Channel in 2009 (probably the summertime).

Stargate Universe will go before cameras in early 2009, at The Bridge Studios in Vancouver, British Columbia (where Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis were shot). Show creators Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper will serve as co-showrunners, and intend to also write a lot of the show, Wright told GateWorld in an interview.

The show's producers are looking to cast a "known" actor in one of the show's lead roles, and largely unknowns for the rest of the cast.

"Brad and I have written up basically a one-page document that outlines the concept and the characters for the series. That's being used as a sales document to put together the financing. It is definitely very, very high on the agenda of things for MGM to get going. They're asking us. Basically, MGM is saying to Brad and I, 'When can you have it ready? When can you physically, actually write the script and start production?' These things take time. They aren't just born and grow on their own, unfortunately.

"... In [the] typical Stargate world, it's not really a pilot. It's a premiere. We generally sell and proceed with a full season of television.

"... What I can tell you about the third Stargate series, conceptually as we've conceived it, is that it is a completely separate, third entity. Much more so than Atlantis was. Atlantis was much more of a spin-off series of SG-1. It was born out of SG-1.

"The idea for this -- this is going to sound like a broken record -- but it started as a movie idea. We originally were sitting around talking about this. We were trying to come up with ideas for a Stargate feature. Not an SG-1 feature or an Atlantis feature, but a feature that would fit into the Stargate franchise that we feel we've created. Because the studio, if they're going to spend whatever X millions of dollars on a movie, it needs to appeal to a broad audience. Maybe even a bigger audience than is loyal to the show.

"Although mathematically, if everyone around the world who watched the show went to the movie, it would be a tremendous success! Still, the studio is thinking bigger. And I think we were thinking bigger too. We were thinking, 'How do we create a third arm to the franchise that is very connective, and that fans will feel is born out of the material that has come before, but at the same time is very-much something that stands alone?'

"So when it became clear that a third series was a more realistic possibility at this point, from the studio's standpoint, we figured out how to tweak that idea and give it a little more legs than it would have had as a one-off story. We always, in the back of our minds, even in coming up with that concept, felt it could launch a third series. The idea was we do this big movie and then use that to launch the series. But now that story has become the core idea for the new show.

"One of the things that we love about Stargate is that it's us. It's our military. It's our scientists. It's our people. And we're going out into the galaxy and the universe to discover all the wonders that are out there, and dealing with our own limitations versus things that are far more advanced to us. That's identifiable. It's what we deal with every day in terms of medicine and science and astrophysics. We're just babies. We would always want to maintain that in anything that was Stargate-related.

"It certainly plays into mythology that's been pre-established, but it doesn't directly relate to anything that has been in either series, SG-1 or Atlantis."

(Series co-creator Robert C. Cooper, in an exclusive interview with GateWorld)

When Stargate Universe does get here how different do you think this series needs to be to move the franchise forward and attract new viewers? How closely, on the other hand, does it need to stay to the established formula?

"Well, you just hit the nail on the head because it's got to be both. It has to feel like Stargate and it has to feel new. And that's the tightrope, that's the balance you have to maintain, and that's the challenge. To put it in the simplest terms, if we had ever just done SG-2 as a series it would never have worked. It's not the C.S.I. model. And it's frankly because of the heroes that our team is.

"... The pitch [to the network] was received very well. ... We pitched an expensive series. The idea we have is not cheap. Universe, if we do it the way we want to do it, is very expensive, and I think we've proven ourselves, so 'Can we please have enough money to do it right this time?' And if not, then honestly I don't want to do it. Why do it wrong?

"... Stargate Universe, the idea of it, is that it is set on a ship that was part of an Ancient experiment that was set in motion probably millions of years ago. One that they never saw to fruition but that we can. They got a little busy with the whole ascension thing.

"Their goal for the creation of this experiment, which is to send a ship literally across the universe, and to send one ahead of it seeding the galaxies that they encounter with Stargates. And that they would one day use the ninth chevron to get there, and that's what Stargate Universe is."

(Series co-creator Brad Wright, in an exclusive interview with GateWorld)

"Robert and I feel like we're growing and have new challenges to do ourselves. And we feel like we want to be the agents of that change ourselves, and feel like we're capable of coming up with another engaging television show that is possibly more mainstream, possibly a little outside the Stargate box. Because we know where we've been. For us to remain engaged in the show creatively, we need to make those changes ourselves."

What do you mean by making it a little more mainstream?

"Maybe a little more character-based, a little less rooted in a sci-fi mythology. Those kinds of things -- that's all.

"I find the word 'mainstream' kind of silly. But it really does come down to characters and stories that are engaging, and that people want to see -- that they feel like they haven't seen before."

(Series co-creator Brad Wright, in an interview with GateWorld)

Here is how MGM and SCI FI describe the new series, in the first official press release:

After unlocking the mystery of the Stargate's ninth chevron, a team of explorers travels to an unmanned starship called the Destiny, launched by the Ancients at the height of their civilization as a grand experiment set in motion, but never completed.

What starts as a simple reconnaissance turns into a never ending mission, as the Stargate Universe crew discovers the ship is unable to return to Earth, and they must now fend for themselves aboard the Destiny.

The crew will travel to the far reaches of the universe, connecting with each of the previously launched Stargates, thus fulfilling the Destiny's original mission. Challenges will arise though as the ship comes into range of Stargates placed centuries ahead of the Destiny and the crew is unable to control the ship's navigational schedule. If someone is left behind, there is no way to go back for them, adding to the drama of encountering new races, enemies and adventures.

Read the complete press release (August 2008) here.

"The intention here is to make this one skew young and give it a contemporary vibe. ... As a network, obviously we look at Battlestar Galactica, that's set the standard in terms of tense character drama. Stargate does not have the intensity of a Battlestar Galactica. But it may well be somewhere in between.

"Brad and Robert are very eager to keep the action and adventure and the sense of humor [in Stargate Universe]. But I think there's an opportunity to maybe inject a bit more dramatic intensity into the series. But that's obviously a conversation for them as they start to script and move into development."

(SCI FI Channel president Dave Howe, in an interview with Multichannel News)

"What we endeavor to do each time is to introduce the franchise to a new audience, make it a bit more contemporary, more relatable. The ambition with Universe is to skew it younger than the previous two chapters and fill it with a fresh-faced cast; and a storytelling that is more for the late 2000s than it is for the 1990s.

"... What's unique about this [Stargate] chapter is it's going to be set entirely in space. ... That's also an opportunity for us because as Battlestar Galactica reaches a conclusion, it's nice for us to have within the mix of programming a space opera that serves the audience that's really into space operas."

(SCI FI Channel president Dave Howe, in an interview with Multichannel News)

Casting calls have gone out for the third series' main characters, with the short character break-downs arriving at GateWorld. As anticipated, the team is led by an older veteran officer, Colonel Everett Young. Young is described as "like the Jack O'Neill of ten years ago, but Young's edges have tended to sharpen over time." The show's producers are looking to cast an established, "name" actor in this role.

The rest of the cast of characters is made up of young men and women, mostly in their early to mid twenties: Tamara Jon, Chloe Carpenter, Eli Hitchcock, Lt. Jared Nash, and Ron "Psycho" Stasiak. Read all about the show's main characters here!

"One of the things I'm really excited about is that we're looking for people who are a little more identifiable and contemporary. I always thought one of the things that was attractive about the original series was the 'everyman on the street' point of view that O'Neill had to science fiction. It made the characters identifiable. They were more like we would be in a science fiction situation, and how we would react. And that's what we're trying to do with the new show -- create characters that are going to be challenged by the situation.

"The team that ends up on the ship is not really who was supposed to go, and in some cases they're very unprepared and unqualified to be in that situation. So they don't have all the answers as quickly, and the challenges are greater than they would be for people who have seen it all and don't have as far to go as characters when they encounter an incredible situation."

"... It's an all new cast. There will certainly be plenty of opportunity for cross over, and there certainly might be some familiar faces in the premiere and in subsequent episodes. But the core of the show is all new.

"... It says Stargate in the title, but it's also going to be something that is very different in tone. It will certainly have a Stargate in it, but is going to be unlike anything Stargate we've ever done before."

(Co-creator Robert C. Cooper, in an interview with Stargate.MGM.com)

Cooper also told the site that casting is underway, and the producers are aiming for a July 2009 premiere for the show.

"The premise of SGU is ... more intimate -- a limited group of people trapped aboard a space ship hurtling through distant space -- and therefore necessitates a more intimate form of storytelling."

(Writer-producer Joseph Mallozzi, in a post at his blog)

"Stargate Universe is a series that draws on established mythology yet blazes a bold, new path for the franchise. It's definitely more character-centered and intimate in its exploration of the interpersonal dynamics that will drive a lot of the shipboard developments (and, no, I'm not talking about romance). The premise of this ship hurtling through uncharted territories offers up unbounded story possibilities, yet also forces us to adopt a very different approach toward alien encounters and planetary investigation. Twin themes mentioned over the course of today's conversations: survival and sacrifice."

(Writer-producer Joseph Mallozzi, in a post at his blog)

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Good stuff Avery!

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Good stuff Avery!

No worries, I really like Stargate, big fan - got Amanda Tapping to autograph a t-shirt was wearing when walked in to them filming in Victoria BC a while back.

Hopefully the game can a good release and maybe some of the idea's for the spin off will find its way as an expac if it turns out good.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Good stuff Avery!

No worries, I really like Stargate, big fan - got Amanda Tapping to autograph a t-shirt was wearing when walked in to them filming in Victoria BC a while back.

Hopefully the game can a good release and maybe some of the idea's for the spin off will find its way as an expac if it turns out good.

Just one question, is she as hot in real life as she is on TV?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• icyredicyred Member Posts: 138

Well if you like her,,, watch her new series Sanctuary... pretty good and she sounds hot as a british lady :)

• X-PorterX-Porter Member Posts: 229

I'm sorry. I wasn't going to say anything, but then I went and read that review and I had to.

Of course they're looking to Battlestar Galactica, because that's about the only sci-fi property they haven't shamelessly ripped-off.

Let's qualify that for the fans a bit:

-Destroyed the Evil Dark Lord's Doomsday Weapon by firing a missile into a thermal exhaust port? Done.

-Blown up a Doomsday Asteroid by planting a bomb on it? Done.

-Fought off a Machine Hegemony determined to absorb our technology and culture? Done.

-Yes, they did the "Groundhog Day" thing. Done.

And let us not forget importing actors from every other sci-fi show on the air for cheap pops (as they say in the wrestling industry).

It really burns me that good shows like "Firefly" and "Enterprise" get dropped by major networks because they get better cost-vs-return on "So You Think You Can Survive America's Next Dance Idol"  or "Who Wants To Be The Biggest Loser: Claymation-Dude". Thank God BSG went right to Sci-Fi or we'd be watching  "Tha' Kink In My Girlfriend Eve's Hair".

The only reason SG1 lasted so long was because it was filmed here in Canada where our government practically begs people to pinch one off on film.  I admit Atlantis was a better effort, but I'm going to save you all some time and give you the plot for the new show right now...

"Fleeing from the Replicator tyrranny, the last Battlestar, Destiny, leads a rag-tag fugitive fleet on a lonely quest; A shining planet known as...Earth."

/end rant/ flame on/ whatever

(PS. I don't hold out a lot of hope for this game.)

• BodeusBodeus Member Posts: 516

sounds like Star Trek Voyager + Farscape + Stargate all rolled into one. I look forward to seeing it.

Originally posted by X-Porter

I'm sorry. I wasn't going to say anything, but then I went and read that review and I had to.
    Of course they're looking to Battlestar Galactica, because that's about the only sci-fi property they haven't shamelessly ripped-off.
    Let's qualify that for the fans a bit:
    -Destroyed the Evil Dark Lord's Doomsday Weapon by firing a missile into a thermal exhaust port? Done.
    -Blown up a Doomsday Asteroid by planting a bomb on it? Done.
    -Fought off a Machine Hegemony determined to absorb our technology and culture? Done.
    -Yes, they did the "Groundhog Day" thing. Done.
    And let us not forget importing actors from every other sci-fi show on the air for cheap pops (as they say in the wrestling industry).
    It really burns me that good shows like "Firefly" and "Enterprise" get dropped by major networks because they get better cost-vs-return on "So You Think You Can Survive America's Next Dance Idol"  or "Who Wants To Be The Biggest Loser: Claymation-Dude". Thank God BSG went right to Sci-Fi or we'd be watching  "Tha' Kink In My Girlfriend Eve's Hair".

Amount of Sci Fi Geeks that watch scifi.... 1 out of 10 guys and 1 out of 100 girls

amount of Reality Geeks that watch reality shows 1 out of 100 guys and 1 out of 2 girls. So yes... if you do the math there are Way more ppl that watch crappy reality shows.... I dont watch any of them except for Extreme make over home edition cause i like what they do there. but for sci fi i watch all of them but i noticed that UK does more Sci Fi / fantasy and Better ones usually i watch alot of UK Sci Fi like Doctor Who, Torchwood, Primeval, Merlin ect.... (i live in canada) so i usually have too download them. Even stargate i love how i live in canada.... i have too download the Stargate episodes off the UK site and 2 years later they play that same episode on canadian/american chanels lol.... until this last season of stargate atlantis.

The only reason SG1 lasted so long was because it was filmed here in Canada where our government practically begs people to pinch one off on film.  I admit Atlantis was a better effort, but I'm going to save you all some time and give you the plot for the new show right now...
    "Fleeing from the Replicator tyrranny, the last Battlestar, Destiny, leads a rag-tag fugitive fleet on a lonely quest; A shining planet known as...Earth."
    /end rant/ flame on/ whatever
     (PS. I don't hold out a lot of hope for this game.)

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

I'm an Andromeda fanbois, yes I know even the sci-fi geeks feel sorry for me!

I pray they don't ever make an Andromeda MMORPG, because after playing it I'd probably be forced to buy an air ticket to the Devs offices. Armed with my Tyr Anasazi combat knife kick down the doors and scream "I'm Tyr Anasazi out of Victoria by Barbarossa, where is the lead DEV that butchered my favourite TV show?". Then proceed to push my armed replica force lance up his behind sideways, whilst I cut out his heart, pull it through his eye socket then nail it to his head.

I feel sorry for any real big SG-1 fans in a way, as they will log on to see how some company full of suits did a hatchet job on thier favourite TV show just to make a quick buck. I'm not singling out CME for doing this sort of thing, pretty much every company is the same, that's why I wouldn't want anyone to make Andromeda.

Except maybe Raphael Koster, I'm certain he's a Nietzschian that took up programming!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

Originally posted by Agricola1

I'm an Andromeda fanbois, yes I know even the sci-fi geeks feel sorry for me!
    I pray they don't ever make an Andromeda MMORPG, because after playing it I'd probably be forced to buy an air ticket to the Devs offices. Armed with my Tyr Anasazi combat knife kick down the doors and scream "I'm Tyr Anasazi out of Victoria by Barbarossa, where is the lead DEV that butchered my favourite TV show?". Then proceed to push my armed replica force lance up his behind sideways, whilst I cut out his heart, pull it through his eye socket then nail it to his head.
    I feel sorry for any real big SG-1 fans in a way, as they will log on to see how some company full of suits did a hatchet job on thier favourite TV show just to make a quick buck. I'm not singling out CME for doing this sort of thing, pretty much every company is the same, that's why I wouldn't want anyone to make Andromeda.
    Except maybe Raphael Koster, I'm certain he's a Nietzschian that took up programming!

<---- Andromeda fan as well... Watched all the episodes then felt sad when it ended... there last season probably what killed the show but it was still good lol. Wish they would of continued... So many Sci-Fi's ending in the last 5 years and not enough comming onto air for us Sci Fi geeks.

• sh4dowst4lkrsh4dowst4lkr Member Posts: 208

It should be alright, but if it gets to populare, it will be like SG1 or atlantis or farscape all over again, it will get good, then when it becomes to expensive to produce anyme, they end the show and cap it off will a dvd movie release

• DragonSharkDragonShark Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Originally posted by X-Porter

You forgot to point out how Battlestar Galactica was already a shameless ripoff... of Battlestar Galactica. And Earth: Above and Beyond.

You make me cry by using "Firefly" and "Enterprise" in the same series. Quite clearly, Enterprise deserved the be flushed down the toilet of temporal continuity. Ironically, the original Battlestar Galactica was in the top five television shows of 1978, but it was cancelled anyway because the network already had several other shows in the top five that were much cheaper to make.

Oh, and Andromeda fan here too. Well, maybe not the last season. Except for Doyle. Oh, Doyle...

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

I am an Andromeda fan also and it was a shame that FireFly got the axe but you could tell that SG1 was on it's last leg when they pulled those two Far Scape rejects into the series but I do think that SG1 ended on time and did not drag it out, now with SGAtlantis, I just could not bond with any of the characters and it seemed that I was happier when one of them were suffering or got the stuffing kicked out of them, then again maybe they were going for the teen audience, but I can honestly say I do not miss the show.

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458

I really doubt the next stargate installment will last more than one or two seasons. Just seem to me now its going to be a half startrek clone.