Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sale the original server software.

qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

I think the last thing EQ can do to squeeze a little money out of the old EQ would be to sell the original server software. Sell it retail for about $100 - $300. Let people make their own servers. I bet they would sell many boxes. Then they could resell the classic client software to go with it. Milk it SOE for once last cash pile!

I would purchase it to have a classic server. : P

Comments

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by qombi

I think the last thing EQ can do to squeeze a little money out of the old EQ would be to sell the original server software. Sell it retail for about $100 - $300. Let people make their own servers. I bet they would sell many boxes. Then they could resell the classic client software to go with it. Milk it SOE for once last cash pile!

I'd buy it too.  Nothing would be more cool than to have your own little "original" EQ world to share with friends and acquaintances.

• KoltraneKoltrane Member UncommonPosts: 1,049

I'd buy it just for nostalgia.  I'd love to have the original EQ with all the original zones and mobs up through Velious.  I would get a kick out of exploring Sol A or Misty Thicket, heading to the Overthere or riding the boat from Freeport to Butcherblock.

It'll never happen, but it's fun to think about.

-----

Old timer.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

yeah, i would DEFINITLY buy this and get my friends to play it.

After i had added Vesavius cash to it naturally! woot!

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170
    Originally posted by vesavius

yeah, i would DEFINITLY buy this and get my friends to play it.
    After i had added Vesavius cash to it naturally! woot!

haha

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

I'm against "private servers" when it comes to the "illegal" ones.

But i would love if game companies would sell server and software rights for games that get shut down.

Would be so nice to have Earth and Beyond up and running again..........

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

I feel the same about earth and beyond, man it would be nice to fly again.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by Zorvan
    I'm against "private servers" when it comes to the "illegal" ones.
    But i would love if game companies would sell server and software rights for games that get shut down.
    Would be so nice to have Earth and Beyond up and running again..........

Or Asheron's Call 2

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

I'd look at the source code and find out the EXACT mechanisms for some of those elusive mob spawns that haunted my youth.

I'd probably be disapointed though.

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by qombi

Why not go all the way and create some additional "build your own MMO" software.  Release the game as it was at launch in '99(technical lanuch bugs ironed out of course) and put sliders on everything.  Weapon damage, loot, spawn timers, drop rates, exp gains, cast times, etc...put a slider on all of it and let players adjust every aspect of it.

With the right tweaks EQ could be a AAA game even with the outdated graphics.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• ZANGFEIZANGFEI Member Posts: 439

Heck, The X and i played that for 5 years and never seen half of that game...... Im good to sign up for another 5 or more. hell even 10.

Make it 400$ and a yes.

• SatsukaziSatsukazi Member Posts: 9

Why not go all the way and create some additional "build your own MMO" software.  Release the game as it was at launch in '99(technical lanuch bugs ironed out of course) and put sliders on everything.  Weapon damage, loot, spawn timers, drop rates, exp gains, cast times, etc...put a slider on all of it and let players adjust every aspect of it.
    With the right tweaks EQ could be a AAA game even with the outdated graphics.

You are a genius. GENIUS. I am fucking DREAMING about this. Who do we have to pay to make this happen?

• imitatorimitator Member Posts: 29

Sadly Dev's have stated a few times that they do not have the code for the original game any longer, which is why a truely classic server was never done, and could not be done, in Everquest as of now. 

No clue if its entirely true, but considering the push back during the progression servers, and the repeated statements of such by the Dev's during that time, Id say it has some validity to it. 

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

There is a certain appeal to this idea and heck I know I'd buy it too if it was available but it wouldn't be that great honestly.

Basically we'd all end up with our own private servers devoid of other people.  You might get a few friends to play with you but that would be about it.  EQ without other people just wouldn't be much fun.  I'd still buy it but I wouldn't kid myself about the reality of the situation.

I actually did something like this once.  I found a site that had a walk through for setting up EQ as a single player game using the original discs.  So I did it and got it working.  Well, it had a lot of problems.  Mobs didn't walk around or agro but they would fight back if you attacked them.  You couldn't zone in the normal way but had to use GM powers to change zones.  Vendors didn't work.  Doors were missing.

Anyway, I suppose if I had been motivated enough I could have learned what I needed to learn to fix all of those problems.  But the thing is, when I was running around in my own private EQ (with all the problems) it was depressing because I felt like a ghost in a dead world.  No other people.  It simply isn't the same without other people.

It was fun for a while to revisit old zones just to look around (original graphics of course because you used the old discs).  But it wore thin pretty quickly and I felt no motivation to try to fix the problems it had because I knew it would never be anything more than me wandering around alone in a dead world.

PS: don't bother asking me for the site where I found this because they no longer have the walk through on their site or even anything relating to EQ anymore.  I think the guy who owns the site lost interest in it too.