Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tabula Rasa: New Content Added

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

The folks at Tabula Rasa have announced that they have added new content to the game, including Earth, PvP Wargames, Epic Caves of Donn and more. They also remind players that the game is now free to play and open to all, including former subscribers and brand new players.

We've released all new content - Earth, PvP Wargames, Epic Caves of Donn and more, and we want to remind you that Tabula Rasa is free to play, right now!

If you're a former player looking to return and check out the new content, just log into your PlayNC master account at www.plaync.com and visit Account Management to reactivate your account. It's as easy as clicking a button!

If you're a new player who has never tried Tabula Rasa, you can get a Tabula Rasa Serial Code by visiting our Support site and submitting a request for a new code. Use that code at www.plaync.com to create a new account!

You'll need to activate your new account with a credit card number, but don't worry - that's just so we know who you are. We will not charge your card for Tabula Rasa gameplay before game service ends on Feb 28, 2009.

Read more here.

Comments

• britzbanbritzban Member UncommonPosts: 260

why would you add game content when you are closing down the servers in shortly....I'm confused.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Funny, but I could have sworn you released this "news" piece a week or so ago.

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050

Sic transit gloria mundi...

This could easily have been one of the best MMOs out there if NC SOFT had had balls. Closing it down is feeble and sad.

The classes were not badly thought out, but the most striking element was the adrenaline rush of seeing the enemies being shipped in right in front of you.

If they were wise they would have spent more money on rebuilding it and re-launching it.

• WolfdorWolfdor Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by britzban

why would you add game content when you are closing down the servers in shortly....I'm confused.

My guess is this is all content they were already working on before they got cancelled.  The remaining Dev team probably patched together what they could and released it for their loyal few fans who stuck with the game.  Better to release the content then just let it collect dust on some drive.  Was probably a nice surprise to the few who are currently playing.

It's a shame, I always thought TR was going to be a RvR type of game like DAoC or Team PvP like Planetside, with Humans vs Aliens.  I wonder if the game would have done better if it was open RvR at launch?  I know I would have played longer.

• DethnobleDethnoble Member Posts: 419

I'm willing to bet that alot of this was expansion content they were working on instead of pushing the money directly into the game to improve it when they should have been.

splat

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

If the game is free to play, why in the heck do they need a credit card.  Sorry I don't give that out to anyone unless I intend to make a purchase.   That just makes no sense at all.

• DethnobleDethnoble Member Posts: 419

You don't need a CC.  Just follow the instructions on getting your account setup.

splat

• haggus71haggus71 Member Posts: 254

Yeah...they came out with this news the 17th of December.  I went to Earth on the test server.  You need a group to do it, and there's nothing more impressive than anything else, other than "going home". 

They screwed this game big time.  The only good thing I'm getting out of it is a free pass to the beta of Aion, and a free sub for a month to Aion, CoX, and L2.  At least they gave a good consolation.

I feel for the guys with Hellgate.  They get nothing but a kick in the ass on the way out the door.

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483
    Originally posted by Wolfdor

Originally posted by britzban

My guess is this is all content they were already working on before they got cancelled.  The remaining Dev team probably patched together what they could and released it for their loyal few fans who stuck with the game.  Better to release the content then just let it collect dust on some drive.  Was probably a nice surprise to the few who are currently playing.

It's a shame, I always thought TR was going to be a RvR type of game like DAoC or Team PvP like Planetside, with Humans vs Aliens.  I wonder if the game would have done better if it was open RvR at launch?  I know I would have played longer.

I was hoping for exactly a Planetside type game myself.  The ONE thing I did like about the game was the graphics.  I thought they were done fairly well.  If this had the game play of Planetside, I would still be playing as well.

However, I'm also confused as to why they would make this kind of announcement.  It's like watching an injured animal suffer.  If it's going to die anyway, just put it out of it's misery already.

• lorddeath101lorddeath101 Member UncommonPosts: 315

I better start dl the game . I have dial up .  Going to take 1 month to download all the update since the beta version came out.

• Ravens0ulRavens0ul Member UncommonPosts: 51

<p>Its not free, only americans can get a key, Europe is left behind and <strong><span style="font-size:large;">STOP DECEIVING PEOPLE</span></strong>.</p>

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Why add content to game that will close down soon?

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

"You'll need to activate your new account with a credit card number, but don't worry - that's just so we know who you are. We will not charge your card for Tabula Rasa gameplay before game service ends on Feb 28, 2009."

You know I dont see me doing that somehow.Get the game knowing it is closing next month and give my credit card details even though I dont have to pay?they are having a laugh arent they?

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154
    Originally posted by daylight01

"You'll need to activate your new account with a credit card number, but don't worry - that's just so we know who you are. We will not charge your card for Tabula Rasa gameplay before game service ends on Feb 28, 2009."

You know I dont see me doing that somehow.Get the game knowing it is closing next month and give my credit card details even though I dont have to pay?they are having a laugh arent they?

Yeahhh, because NCSoft are renowned fraudsters and will steal all the available credit on your card. Furthermore, these credit card thingies come with zero protection for the consumer .

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250
    Originally posted by nikoliath

Yeahhh, because NCSoft are renowned fraudsters and will steal all the available credit on your card. Furthermore, these credit card thingies come with zero protection for the consumer .

Well it is better to be safe than sorry,look at what GOA did with Warhammer subs,everyone that had cancled in the 1st month all got automaticaly resubbed and for people that were not aware of this got charged for a month they didnt want,then comes tha hassle to get the money back.

Is fair enough if people want to give there credit card details out just so a company know's who you are and wont charge you,me I am a bit more careful with things like that.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

I honestly don't see why they don't take the game into the permanent free-to-play realm. They could do it with Dungeon Runners, so I don't see why they couldn't do it with Tabula Rasa. It's such a waste of a good game and all that money they spent. Why can't they make it ad-supported such as Dungeon Runners is? Surely a minor income is better than none?

• ZionnaxZionnax Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by alakram

Why add content to game that will close down soon?

One thing to keep in mind, they own a property.  If the development work was already done, and even reasonably tested, it makes sense to release it.  If it creates more buzz for the game, then it may also attract a third party interested in buying the game and relaunching it.  They paid for the development, only makes sense to get as much mileage out of their investment as possible.  Even if only to engender "good will" from their loyal fans.

I don't think TR was a "bad" game by any means.  It's just that gameplay and content seemed very stagnent...very "been there, done that" to me.

In the end, it would be a great base to develop a slightly different game; if you had the money to purchase the IP and the technical ability/help to improve it.

• ZionnaxZionnax Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by Lydon

I honestly don't see why they don't take the game into the permanent free-to-play realm. They could do it with Dungeon Runners, so I don't see why they couldn't do it with Tabula Rasa. It's such a waste of a good game and all that money they spent. Why can't they make it ad-supported such as Dungeon Runners is? Surely a minor income is better than none?

I wouldn't be surprised to see a third party purchase this IP and make this happen.  Depending on what NCSoft would want for the game (and whether Sir Richard has any ownership stake in it), it would be cake to take the current application and add a small advert. window, or replace load screens with advertisements.

If you have some money to invest, maybe you should contact NCSoft and find out what they want for it :)

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

Well, something to do for free for the next couple of weeks.  Not like there is anything out there worth PAYING for right now. 

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• RaggnarokhRaggnarokh Member UncommonPosts: 14

i got a key without anything but asking for it (nicely of course :D )at the support page...

and i am Spanish... so European ppl can get the game aswell...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Draccan

Sic transit gloria mundi...

This could easily have been one of the best MMOs out there if NC SOFT had had balls. Closing it down is feeble and sad.
    The classes were not badly thought out, but the most striking element was the adrenaline rush of seeing the enemies being shipped in right in front of you.

If they were wise they would have spent more money on rebuilding it and re-launching it.

I can't think of a single game that have pulled that off. They should have sold it to SOE for very little cash instead, SOE could have kept it running with the current playerbase.

It is sad but they did a too crappy launch so I don't think they could have saved it no matter, WAR and AoC may still go up again but they both have at least decent number of players still playing. Vanguard is fixed up and is a nice game but it still don't have many players, same thing would most likely happened to TR.

They should never have launched it soo early, it could have been a great game...

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by nikoliath

Well it is better to be safe than sorry,look at what GOA did with Warhammer subs,everyone that had cancled in the 1st month all got automaticaly resubbed and for people that were not aware of this got charged for a month they didnt want,then comes tha hassle to get the money back.

Is fair enough if people want to give there credit card details out just so a company know's who you are and wont charge you,me I am a bit more careful with things like that.

I sent an e-mail to support and asked for a key so that I could add it to my account. They sent one in a few hours. No credit card needed, just add the key to a PlayNC account that you already have.

• rsrestonrsreston Member UncommonPosts: 346

Could it be that NCSoft is secretly planning on making it a F2P with some form of item mall or micro payment?