Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fans of a certain MMORPG rejoice.

Relentless02Relentless02 Member UncommonPosts: 126

I think that this game will be a really good game to fill the void that that is going to made when Tabula Rasa shuts down. This is a Sci-Fi Third Person Shooter MMO (from what I can tell), so I think this game will cater well to the crowd thats going to be left over when Tabula Rasa shuts down. Not saying it's only going to cater to them, I myself an going to try this game, but Tabula Rasa fans will have a new game to adhere to when Tabula Rasa shuts down. Just have to switch your futuristic guns for modern guns lol, P90s and M60s and all.

PS. I avoided having Tabula Rasa in the thread title because I didn't want fans to come here with "flame mode" on lol. Not before hearing me out at least.

Comments

• KalengarKalengar Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by Relentless02

I think that this game will be a really good game to fill the void that that is going to made when Tabula Rasa shuts down. This is a Sci-Fi Third Person Shooter MMO (from what I can tell), so I think this game will cater well to the crowd thats going to be left over when Tabula Rasa shuts down. Not saying it's only going to cater to them, I myself an going to try this game, but Tabula Rasa fans will have a new game to adhere to when Tabula Rasa shuts down. Just have to switch your futuristic guns for modern guns lol, P90s and M60s and all.
    PS. I avoided having Tabula Rasa in the thread title because I didn't want fans to come here with "flame mode" on lol. Not before hearing me out at least.

I would be very surprised if we don't see an announcement very soon that this game has been cancelled.  The developer is out of money and the game is still at least 18 months from release.  So don't get your hopse up.

• supremeaaronsupremeaaron Member UncommonPosts: 189

CME maybe in  financial crises but so would many companies since we are in a recession and it is a new company's with no income only from investors and I doubt the company will go under and anyway in the SGW forums community manager Tkksnow has said  in this post forums.stargateworlds.com/showpost.php Also were did you get 18 months from Kalengar the game is entering phase 2 of closed beta and depending if there are many bugs or not I say they will release in Q2 2009 in my opinion and probably as close as possible to the release of Stargate universe (the new Stargate spin off).

• MwajiMwaji Member Posts: 229

I wouldn't count on it, just as many people ( ME ) hate stargate

as inferior Sci Fi.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    Originally posted by Mwaji

as inferior Sci Fi.

I hate star gate too doesnt change the fact that it could be a fun mmo.

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by aleos

as inferior Sci Fi.

I will pass on this one as it is yet another "Brand Name" mmo ... the mmo industry needs to get away from brand name universe/worlds and go back to the roots of original content... I will also be passing on StarTrek and Star Wars as well...

My message to the devs/publishers... don't over saturate and flood the market w/ name brand... we want new, fresh ideas not the same one either based on a movie and/or comic book universe...  new content please.

hidden1  I  absolutely agree with you  about the brand name mmos in this industry, but the problem is with most people today if they don't know what it is they hate it ( you could see a bit of the hatred at CME in the first yr of its announcing publicly of SGW because it was new) and what they hear is good  or being around for a long time most people rejoice over it (World of Warcraft is a good example over 10 million players and I would say probably rising and the game is well in my opinion boring after your first lvl cap i take that from experience I'm 2 yr into game, but people say its good it had a good fanbase before so was known to a lot off people and people trusted it straight away blindly running to it)  Now back to brand name mmos in my opinion they want stop no matter if they all turn in to star Wars galaxies

Thats my 2 cents there

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

hidden1, be realistic. Game developers are not making "art for art's sake". They're in it for a profit. And a recognizable IP is much more likely to draw the attention of the casual player than an unknown title. And there are many more casual players than hardcore. You do the math.

• AlxgrangerAlxgranger Member Posts: 36

as inferior Sci Fi.

Do u refer to Stargate as an inferior sci fi show because they actually use more science FACT than any other sci fi show out there?   In turn making stargate a more realistic  sci fi show than some of the other crappy sci fi out there which im sure some ppl out there watch.

"you know that whole 'we come in peace business.' Bite me!"

• SersiSersi Member Posts: 3

Tabula Rasa wasn't a brand name and we all know its fate - but it had its own problems.

• AlxgrangerAlxgranger Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by Sersi

Tabula Rasa wasn't a brand name and we all know its fate - but it had its own problems.

And by problems u mean, whoever paid to play it only funded richard garriot's selfish pursuit to go into space, and they never fixed any bugs in TR then yeah id say those are problems

"you know that whole 'we come in peace business.' Bite me!"

• icyredicyred Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by hidden1

as inferior Sci Fi.

I will pass on this one as it is yet another "Brand Name" mmo ... the mmo industry needs to get away from brand name universe/worlds and go back to the roots of original content... I will also be passing on StarTrek and Star Wars as well...

My message to the devs/publishers... don't over saturate and flood the market w/ name brand... we want new, fresh ideas not the same one either based on a movie and/or comic book universe...  new content please.

Funny how the "brand name" games stay longer and have more players then non "brand name" games..... Look at the top 5 MMO.... 4 out of 5 are "brand name"

World Of Warcraft (though i hate it its the most popular Mmo)

Age of conan (only game thats not a Brand Name)

Final Fantasy XI

Lord of the rings

SWG (alot of ppl in Forums hate the game but it still has more players then almost every mmo out there except for WoW and LOTRO.

• Originally posted by icyred

Funny how the "brand name" games stay longer and have more players then non "brand name" games..... Look at the top 5 MMO.... 4 out of 5 are "brand name"
    World Of Warcraft (though i hate it its the most popular Mmo)
    Age of conan (only game thats not a Brand Name)
    Final Fantasy XI
    Lord of the rings
    SWG (alot of ppl in Forums hate the game but it still has more players then almost every mmo out there except for WoW and LOTRO.

I guess the dozens of Conan books, comics, and the two Arnie movies don't count?

• BlakeySGVBlakeySGV Member Posts: 106

The game might still make it out. If they make some changes, do it fast, and get the word out about those changes. They might get people coming back and showing some interest and activity again, thus maybe giving potential investors some confidence that the game could make some money in the end.

They need to change the focus of the game and emphasize the faction vs faction conflict between the SGU and Praxis forces, focusing all the PvP and most of the PvE on that conflict. They need to quit being arrogant and thinking they know what gamers should want, and pay attention to the market and give them what they actually want.

They need to decide to have a fully flushed out faction vs faction PvP system, with players locked into one faction or the other per server played, ready to go at launch instead of paying it lip service and promising to flush it out later. Make the PvP mean something and let people know it will mean something.

They need to get over this anti-instancing kick some of the devs are on and realize that when people read them describing things it comes off as sounding like a cheap f2p Asian based MMO.

They need to can most, if not all, of their amatuer moderators on their forums, and disaccociate themselves from self serving community members (including some of the mods) that under the guise of "helping" have been trying to set up little businesses around the game (and are now showing they had no loyalty to SGW at all by trying to worm their "projects" into other games). This bunch has turned most people completely off getting more involved in the community and supporting the game, leaving just their little clique hanging around.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by BlakeySGV

The game might still make it out. If they make some changes, do it fast, and get the word out about those changes. They might get people coming back and showing some interest and activity again, thus maybe giving potential investors some confidence that the game could make some money in the end.
    They need to change the focus of the game and emphasize the faction vs faction conflict between the SGU and Praxis forces, focusing all the PvP and most of the PvE on that conflict. They need to quit being arrogant and thinking they know what gamers should want, and pay attention to the market and give them what they actually want.
    They need to decide to have a fully flushed out faction vs faction PvP system, with players locked into one faction or the other per server played, ready to go at launch instead of paying it lip service and promising to flush it out later. Make the PvP mean something and let people know it will mean something.
    They need to get over this anti-instancing kick some of the devs are on and realize that when people read them describing things it comes off as sounding like a cheap f2p Asian based MMO.
    They need to can most, if not all, of their amatuer moderators on their forums, and disaccociate themselves from self serving community members (including some of the mods) that under the guise of "helping" have been trying to set up little businesses around the game (and are now showing they had no loyalty to SGW at all by trying to worm their "projects" into other games). This bunch has turned most people completely off getting more involved in the community and supporting the game, leaving just their little clique hanging around.

Agreed, although I'm not certain what you meant concerning the DEVs and anti-instancing. The rest however is 100% correct in my opinion, faction vs faction needs to be finished before release. PvP has to have some sort of reward, and not a shitty points system or access to pvp goodies.

I'd like to see some sort of PvP raiding where once a week one, or both factions (sat for one sunday the other) get to raid the others base of operations. Who wouldn't want to be able to try and storm the SGC or a Goa'uld palace or maybe a mothership, not populated by NPCs but other players? I wouldn't give a crap if I won or lost, being gunned down by 50 noobs 10 seconds after we storm through the gate would be a great laugh!

Also they do need to clean up thier official forums where a small group of posters keep other people who are interested in SGW away. CME needs to clean house, because as it stands the community on thier forums is dead thanks to those few.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

A little say about the pvp CME said there will be little pvp at launch with pvp servers and duels. They also said they will add pvp content i believe in what they call episode 1 which they say they will introduce more pvp like battlegrounds and maybe more I hope. Also I don't see anything wrong with CME so why do they need to clean house?

Originally posted by supremeaaron

A little say about the pvp CME said there will be little pvp at launch with pvp servers and duels. They also said they will add pvp content i believe in what they call episode 1 which they say they will introduce more pvp like battlegrounds and maybe more I hope. Also I don't see anything wrong with CME so why do they need to clean house?

Well faction vs faction needs more than duels and battlegrounds to keep the player interested in my opinion. As for CME there are people I know personally that have gone to thier forums posted once and left. Usually it's for similar reasons, but if you are curios to know why, you can go there and see for yourself. Considering they have the Stargate IP and the game will be released this year, probably by summer when the new SG series is launched, the forums aren't reflecting the amount of interest in the game that there is.

CME need to sort it out, as someone who enjoys both the Stargate TV show and MMORPGs I believe that the forums don't do justice to the IP. That's just my opinion however although others seem to share it, have a look and decide for yourself is the only way to make an informed decision I suppose.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

maybe they will add more after release in the way off pvp but I myself am not huge into pvp. I say what will keep people interested in the story and gamplay. Also I have gone to the SGW forums ty I have being there since 2007 also I doubt the forums is a true showing of the interest in SGW there is probley more but they just dont want to go to the forums for their own reason. Also CME dont need to sort out anything on the forum except get rid of some troll posts about make SGW free to play which is funny. In all the forums are good maybe they might look at it when the staff return to work tomorrow after christmas holidays.

• DeziTorekDeziTorek Member Posts: 9

as inferior Sci Fi.

I think games like this are mostly about the fans, not about someone's love for MMOs.  Just like Star Trek Online (if it ever happens).

Why even bother trolling the SGW forums or play it if you hate the show, it seems a bit rediculous.  It's like if you hated boating, but love vacationing, and you go on a cruise. duh

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by Kalengar

Originally posted by Relentless02

I would be very surprised if we don't see an announcement very soon that this game has been cancelled.  The developer is out of money and the game is still at least 18 months from release.  So don't get your hopse up.

Lord i hope not. I need a break ( a short one anyway) from elves and dwarves. Im looking forward to a sci fi mmo done right.

maybe they will add more after release in the way off pvp but I myself am not huge into pvp. I say what will keep people interested in the story and gamplay. Also I have gone to the SGW forums ty I have being there since 2007 also I doubt the forums is a true showing of the interest in SGW there is probley more but they just dont want to go to the forums for their own reason. Also CME dont need to sort out anything on the forum except get rid of some troll posts about make SGW free to play which is funny. In all the forums are good maybe they might look at it when the staff return to work tomorrow after christmas holidays.

I agree on the story and gameplay being the major factors in the game. Since it's Stargate dropping the ball on the story part of the game would be a form of financial suicide for CME and heresy towards the gamers. From what I've read they seem to be on the ball with providing the SGC as a base of operations with the TV shows characters in there. The combat looks fun, some claim the combat is just TR reskinned. Well I played TR and to be honest combat was the one aspect of the game they did better than nearly everyother MMO in my opinion.

I'd just like them to do a full proper job with PvP and factions instead of it being some after thought that doesn't do much or make a difference ultimately. I'm not saying focus on PvP to the detriment of other aspects, just make sure it has it's place and keeps us interested. Perhaps CME DEVs should spend 1 month playing a lvl 80 char in AoC, sort of a basic course for what not to do with crafting, PvP and well everything! Also having some real live events and story arcs would be nice, used to enjoy those in SWG, I miss the days when MMOs actually had a community instead of a bunch of people with a mental age of seven running around shouting leet speek :(

CS Lewis

hmm I  can see where you are coming from im sure the pvp and fractions will get more flushed out (well i hope) I would like maybe to see a less stagnint world. For example maye on tollana have the npc loyal jaffa  fight the npc tollan rebels hmm would be an interesting event, they could tie it into the the goa'uld ha'tak blowing up in a video we saw a while ago. what you think? as for some fractions maybe they could have big backstory to why the op-core have done like why join the goa'uld and what your character did to be locked in jail on the castle(op-core character). I hope CME are holding secrets but I'm not keeping my hopes up. Also never seen AoC crafting so I  dont know. Heres hoping CME listen to their community more

hmm I  can see where you are coming from im sure the pvp and fractions will get more flushed out (well i hope) I would like maybe to see a less stagnint world. For example maye on tollana have the npc loyal jaffa  fight the npc tollan rebels hmm would be an interesting event, they could tie it into the the goa'uld ha'tak blowing up in a video we saw a while ago. what you think? as for some fractions maybe they could have big backstory to why the op-core have done like why join the goa'uld and what your character did to be locked in jail on the castle(op-core character). I hope CME are holding secrets but I'm not keeping my hopes up. Also never seen AoC crafting so I  dont know. Heres hoping CME listen to their community more

Listening to the community is paramount (a reason they need more people on thier boards giving input), I believe CME is providing some good tools for community building however. For starters having the SGC as a starting area and base of operations for the SG faction is a good community builder. In SWG we had cantinas and starports where people would meet and do deals, duel or get buffs and services. The SGC and similar places for the praxis faction could serve as great community builders, not just a place to get missions and powerlevel by yourself.

Having dynamic worlds would be good, with perhaps PvP battles occuring once a week or so for POIs resulting in the political landscape changing? I just feel that things like this need to be player driven and CME needs to put in the incentive for us to group up and do it. Victory resulting in claiming a POI that gives benefits to your faction is much better than some honour point system that gives you access to better gear. Some of us want to get away from the mindless gear/xp grind sometimes, we need community hubs and activities as I've just mentioned. Too many companies take the easy route out which is concentrate on the PVE grind to the detriment of everything else including community. This is why so many MMOs are just solo PVE grind turds now with no community, I pray SGW will be different.

CS Lewis

• BlakeySGVBlakeySGV Member Posts: 106

The problem with sticking mainly to PvE and relying on the story is that the IP isn't big enough to do that with. Stargate is a pretty weak IP in the end, despite what many naive SG fans following the game seem to think.

They need to attract non-SG fans, and given the type of combat proposed (which is inevitable to have considering the IP and the setting), PvP is what will primarily attract those players.

They do need to make changes in the community. For whatever reason they've let the inmates run the asylum pretty much. They've brought community members up to mod, then let those same people pick their friends as additional mods, then they've actually taken some of those mods and made them CME staff. In the end it's become a "think our way or you're on the outside looking in" community, and unfortunately the way these mods think the game should be is completely backward.

Then they've allowed those mods to steer the community toward supporting outside projects that are not controlled by CME and are nothing more than a way for some of these amateur (and not very good) mods to make money. It's all totally unproffesional, and that unproffesional feel tends to make the rest of the things surrounding the game seem so.

• Kieth75Kieth75 Member Posts: 51

Make Farscape MMO it will succeed it was better show to.

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

I am a huge SG fan and even bought the seasons dvds but I have to agree with most who posted here that CME is lacking in all aspects of the game and their forums.  Just look at the way they chose their beta testers and the amount of or lack of info put out in their forums along with the rumors of the financial problems and then their is that HALO Armour that they sported in their short video's  and that horrid pic of the SG1 team, well don't want to rant but you can see where I am going with this.

This discussion has been closed.