Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Best Expansion: Winner

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com is pleased to announce the winner of the 2008 Reader's Choice Award for Best Expansion of 2008.

In the voting for Best Expansion, 3627 votes were cast. The editorial nominees were: Empyrean Age (EVE Online), Mines of Moria (Lord of the Rings Online), Seeds of Destruction (EverQuest), The Shadow Odyssey (EverQuest II), Wrath of the Lich King (World of Warcraft)

Another impressive win for the Lord of the Rings team over at Turbine, with 48% of the vote, the winner of the Best new Expansion of 2008 was Turbine's Mines of Moria, the first expansion for their hit game, Lord of the Rings Online.

Read more here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Grats again Turbine!

MoM was awesome

• wickedptwickedpt Member Posts: 45

Grats Turbine. Your community really apreciates it. Specially not having to wait at midnight to buy the expansion since it was already download and sitting confortably in my PC at launch time.

*waits for other fanboys who have never got a character with enought level to venture into Moria to come ranting how the frozen king was alot better*

*flame jacket on*

• PathisPathis Member Posts: 39

Congrats to Turbine!

This expansion was really well done and the fact that there will be steady Books (mini expansions) to compliment it make it all the more exciting. 

==============================
    Currently Playing: Lord of the Rings Online since original Open Beta, Atlantica Online
    Waiting On: Knights of the Old Republic, Aion
    Played: World of Warcraft (3 years), Ultima Online (2 years), EvE Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Lineage, Perfect World

• kinikukiniku Member Posts: 53

Turbine has handled this franchise remarkably well.  From first launch of LOTRO, their free expansion, and now this one and just about everything with this game has gone very smoothly.  Of course you'll  have the D&D online crybabies, some of the AC fringe, and the others that saw the movies and think they could do better at designing and creating an MMO with the Middle Earth whining or bashing Turbine.

• firithnormfirithnorm Member UncommonPosts: 4

Congrats to Turbine!   The visual world they created is par excellance and they maintained the basic storyline through Moria (and beyond).  Just one clarification - Shadows of Angmar did have a balrog already, so having one in Moria, while cool, was not a truly new achievement.  Now the Watcher in the Water - that is cool!

• FiredornFiredorn Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by firithnorm

Congrats to Turbine!   The visual world they created is par excellance and they maintained the basic storyline through Moria (and beyond).  Just one clarification - Shadows of Angmar did have a balrog already, so having one in Moria, while cool, was not a truly new achievement.  Now the Watcher in the Water - that is cool!

Aye, but some people, like me, never got a chance to see in SoA.  I'm glad they made it "accessible" to everyone.  I think that in itself is a thumbs up...giving everyone the chance to at least see one.

Grats Turbine.  But I hate you!  I hate that you have me hooked on your game and that it taunts me in my sleep, waking me in a cold sweat.  The Eye, ever watchful, haunts me at every turn.  I hate it.  Thank you!

P.S.: Glad I could post a comment before the haters come and complain.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Mines of Moria is indeed a very good expansion! I really hope the first content update fixes some of the current issues thou!

Keep up the good work Turbine, it will be interesting to see what their new expansion will be and include!

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Congrats turbine pioneers of the horizontal expansion! Masters of free content! Kings of polish!

MoM is the best example of expanding your game, FOR ALL LEVELS and player types, not just dumping things on at the end! They know how to expand their game so well, even blizzard copies it! (looking at you barbershops, achievements, and 3-5 man instances!)

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Gratz MoM players. I wish Blizzard would learn from this and make their expansions more like MoM, more content for ALL levels!

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• skaiskai Member UncommonPosts: 100

I was under the impression that the Moria content was 50+. Is there a new area that was added that I don't know about?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by skai

I was under the impression that the Moria content was 50+. Is there a new area that was added that I don't know about?

They added two new classes which can be accessed by anyone with the expansion (as well as two character slots to accomodate those who have full character slots).

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Um, 2 new classes, one zone before 50, that doesn't even require the expansion to go to, crafting guilds, a completely revamped and expanded trait system, an ass ton of new items and quests......

Content does not only mean zone. B ut on that note, last year alone the added 4 new, entire zones to the game... FREE.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Ah ok, I've been casually leveling a warden (couple hours a week at most) using pre-expansion content.  So I knew about most of those.  Aren't the crafting guilds for high-level crafters only? They wouldn't let me join.  Also curious about which zone was added.

Reason I asked was mostly due to the comparisons made to Blizzard expansions which made me wonder if I had been misinformed.

Ah ok, I've been casually leveling a warden (couple hours a week at most) using pre-expansion content.  So I knew about most of those.  Aren't the crafting guilds for high-level crafters only? They wouldn't let me join.  Also curious about which zone was added.

Reason I asked was mostly due to the comparisons made to Blizzard expansions which made me wonder if I had been misinformed.

Crafting guilds are about mid-level crafting wise (based on your crafting level, not adventure).  New zone that came with the expansion is Eregion, it does not require the expansion to go to.

Expect about 2-4 new zones, and 2-4 new features to be added this year, free.

Lets also not forget, if you buy mines of moria, you do not need to have, or buy, the original game. Its included in the new box, for an old user, or a completely new one.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

Congrats Turbine.  Another well deserved award...by another landslide. 

I expect to see another mmorpg.com award early next week. 

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Um, 2 new classes, one zone before 50, that doesn't even require the expansion to go to, crafting guilds, a completely revamped and expanded trait system, an ass ton of new items and quests......

Content does not only mean zone. B ut on that note, last year alone the added 4 new, entire zones to the game... FREE.

Moria is an okay expansion but it is being overly hyped here. I dislike World of Warcraft but they did in their last expansion provide a new starting area and new races, so they too provided a little content that was not all at the top .. just as lotro did. lotro did provide about the same amount or maybe less. You have to remember also lotro is a tiny game compared to EQ and WoW in size. It is also very very casual with no end game except for one raid boss which is a little tiny raid size.

I think the expansion was okay but they really lack at least one big long raid. They really didn't provide that much content compared to other MMORPGs, it looks like a lot it being a smaller game though. I do think they have taken a step in the wrong direction with these new class line traits .. a copy of WoW's broken talent tree system that allows you to modify you role to some degree. I dislike this, lotro had solid class definitions now they have went to muddying them like WoW. This is my unbias feelings, I play neither of these games at this time but have experienced both. I am waiting on an EQ group based game but I think I will be waiting a long time. :P

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

With just under 4k votes casts for this award, it shows how little read this website is by the majority of MMO players in the genre. I mean hell, 4k people is almost what DAoC has active on a daily basis.

So I take these awards with a grain of salt, because these rewards don't represent what the majority think or what professionals think like most serious awards.

I honestly though mmorpg.com was read by a much wider playerbase than it really is, but I guess we all can't be right all the time. It's a good thing I'm trying to only come here for updates on MMO's in general now, because that's something the mmorpg.com staff is pretty good at keeping us up-to-date on.

I really apologize to those who will read my post and get bent out of shape over it, but look at this from my point of view. I looked forward to these awards to see what the majority of MMO player out there thought about the game. I've viewed these awards for a few years now. Only now I've noticed that less than .01 % of all MMO players out there actually voted on these rewards. Knowing that less than .01% of the MMO population voted for the rewards, how special do these nominations really mean to people now?

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I have a lifetime account, and I have to dissagree.

Mom was an expansion that I gave a "C" to.  It offered 2 new zones and a very small 3rd zone.  The crafting guilds were something a bit different..  However there were all around nerf's were handed out especially to the mini class.  Yes two new classes were handed out.  Another nerf was to those of us who already had mounts.  Guess what they don't work in the mines so now you got to get rep to get a new mount.  This new mount is a hideous goat, looks like a badly created thing that resembles a  waun-ton from star wars with 4 legs.  The new legendary weapons have totally ruined weapon crafting. The economy in game has been out of wack ever since.  We crash almost daily now in certain areas of the mines.  Last night 2800 folks had to wait for an hour before logging in.  There have been many problems with the new expansion they are still trying to fix.

I did not vote in this selection as there was a none of the above option listed.

I know a lot of folks were happy about mom, I am probably one of the few who felt let down by it, I have the lifetime account so I still play. 

This expansion felt to me the way that CU felt in SWG, and we have watched a lot of the mini class type players quit due to the fact of the nerf's.

• JonMichaelJonMichael Member Posts: 796
    Originally posted by JK-Kanosi

With just under 4k votes casts for this award, it shows how little read this website is by the majority of MMO players in the genre. I mean hell, 4k people is almost what DAoC has active on a daily basis.
    So I take these awards with a grain of salt, because these rewards don't represent what the majority think or what professionals think like most serious awards.
    I honestly though mmorpg.com was read by a much wider playerbase than it really is, but I guess we all can't be right all the time. It's a good thing I'm trying to only come here for updates on MMO's in general now, because that's something the mmorpg.com staff is pretty good at keeping us up-to-date on.
    I really apologize to those who will read my post and get bent out of shape over it, but look at this from my point of view. I looked forward to these awards to see what the majority of MMO player out there thought about the game. I've viewed these awards for a few years now. Only now I've noticed that less than .01 % of all MMO players out there actually voted on these rewards. Knowing that less than .01% of the MMO population voted for the rewards, how special do these nominations really mean to people now?

Out of the 4k of voters, the majority thought that MoM was the best expansion.

Somehow, I think your response would have been vastly different if Lich King would have won. ;)

Currently: AION, an MMO Beta under NDA
    Played: WAR, LOTRO, Hellgate: London, CoX, GW, SotNW, DAOC, EQ2, SWG, WoW, AO, Horizons, Second Life, There, TSO
    Beta'd: There, Second Life, EQ2, DAOC:LotM, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, Gods and Heroes, Hellgate: London, Requiem:Bloodymare, AoC, WAR, DDO, Fallen Earth

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

how oh how didn't Everquest's expansion win. This site has bias I tell you.

Originally posted by qombi

Moria is an okay expansion but it is being overly hyped here. I dislike World of Warcraft but they did in their last expansion provide a new starting area and new races, so they too provided a little content that was not all at the top .. just as lotro did. lotro did provide about the same amount or maybe less. You have to remember also lotro is a tiny game compared to EQ and WoW in size. It is also very very casual with no end game except for one raid boss which is a little tiny raid size.

I think the expansion was okay but they really lack at least one big long raid. They really didn't provide that much content compared to other MMORPGs, it looks like a lot it being a smaller game though. I do think they have taken a step in the wrong direction with these new class line traits .. a copy of WoW's broken talent tree system that allows you to modify you role to some degree. I dislike this, lotro had solid class definitions now they have went to muddying them like WoW. This is my unbias feelings, I play neither of these games at this time but have experienced both. I am waiting on an EQ group based game but I think I will be waiting a long time. :P

LOTRO is no longer as small as you think it is (its also much younger than anything you listed) , with 4 entire zones added last year alone, and Moria take about 6 itself, not to mention everything added to the east of Moria, it would be interesting to see the total landmass now. I think many would be surprised, especially with huge zones such as Evendom.

Also, what new race? The new class that can only be used if you have participated in the previous level cap? That one? (DK)

As far as endgame, people do not seem to realize that there is no need for "endgame", LOTRO is not about endgame, never was. This is a conditioning of the Wow Generation of MMO players, conditioning that says the end is the only part that matters. LOTRO is about story, and the journey through it, not some "End game" that is solely there to take up your time while new content is piled on top of the old. Turbine also believes in horizontal expansion of their games, not vertical, as evidenced by MoM and constant free updates of zones and features over the year. But, you are also forgetting the power of legendary items (when you speak of "end game"), and their use, and avenue of continued power gain and leveling to level cap players, not to mention customization.

Everyone likes different things; you want a long raid..... The player base of LOTRO does not. Turbine knows its player base, and its target audience, and makes the game for them. They do this very well. In fact! LOTRO has 3-5-12 man instances; they also have 25 man raids, something blizzard has recently decided to mimic (Not to mention deeds, barbershops, and legendary items (BOA) ).

I think many MMO players do not realize how influential LOTRO and turbine are on the MMO genre to date. You can thank Turbine for the standard MMO UI (hot bars and the like), as well as many other things to long to list here.

LOTRO Trait system is NOT a tree system, it is nothing like Wows system, and is now even more so distanced by trait sets, and the additions to it. Considering that each class already has more utility, less of a "you are a tank and that’s all you will ever be" class design, the trait system expands classes to all most "skill based" system like customization. You simply cannot compare the utility and uniqueness of the classes in LOTRO to any other game, if you do, you will be in for a shock. There is barely a holy trinity here, and thats a good thing.

I would say perhaps you have not played recently, because your comments to me, sound like you played for just a little bit, didn’t get very far, and potentially came in thinking the game was a Wow clone, with misconceptions.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• kingtommyboykingtommyboy Member Posts: 543

Gratz to Turbine! they deserve it

mmh, I really need to resub for lotro ^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    waiting for ... nothing..

LOTRO has 3-5-12 man instances; they also have 25 man raids, something blizzard has recently decided to mimic (Not to mention deeds, barbershops, and legendary items (BOA) ).

I like LOTRO enough that I feel lying about it would be doing it a disservice. So allow me to correct you about 25 man raids.  Blizzard introduced them in Burning Crusade which came out before LOTRO.  Barbershops were found in Everquest years ago and I'm sure someone will point our an even earlier instance of it.  The LOTRO Deeds system have next to nothing to do with Blizzard's achievement which seems to have derived its inspiration from Microsoft's achievement system more than anything else.  Blizzard has nothing like the legendary items system from LOTRO.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531
    Originally posted by nomadian

how oh how didn't Everquest's expansion win. This site has bias I tell you.

I'm sick of seeing EQ expansions too.. they lack content and anything exciting and they throw out like 10 a year.

• OweynOweyn Member Posts: 7

Yay, Mines of Moria, well deserved! I play for the community, beautiful game design and vistas, fun class gameplay and the epic story.  A few things need to be tweaked. Like a seperate holding bag for you extra legendaries. But for the most part I have been overjoyed with with MoM. Already looking forward to the first area expansion, Lothlorien (Full area).