Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Practically finished with MMO's

GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514

I was alpha testing a game and the first quest was some lame delivery mission , the 2nd was kill 10 of this or that.  I"ve just about had it with this type of gameplay.  I uninstalled the game soon after.  Is this the way all the MMO"s are gonna be?  Man I miss early UO. 

The only MMO i'll be playing is Warhammer since I can just PVP to level without feeling like its much of a grind.   

Going back to regular games like Lego Starwars , Bioshock and regular RPGS (oblivion and oldschool ultima games).  Since i've started playing games non-MMO, I've really started to enjoy gaming again. 

Anyone else feeling this?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by GungaDin

I was alpha testing a game and the first quest was some lame delivery mission , the 2nd was kill 10 of this or that.  I"ve just about had it with this type of gameplay.  I uninstalled the game soon after.  Is this the way all the MMO"s are gonna be?  Man I miss early UO. 
    The only MMO i'll be playing is Warhammer since I can just PVP to level without feeling like its much of a grind.   
     Going back to regular games like Lego Starwars , Bioshock and regular RPGS (oblivion and oldschool ultima games).  Since i've started playing games non-MMO, I've really started to enjoy gaming again. 

Nope. Early UO sucks big time. I was a beta tester. It is either boring mining (digging in a mine with 2000 others) or being ganged. Everyone is a tank mage ... way worse than any class system.

I would prefer fedex + kill quest 100x as long as the mobs are interesting and there is variety of tactics, locations and small scripted events.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by GungaDin

I 100% agree OP. My first MMO was SWG and since it was destroyed I haven't been able to find ANYTHING even close to as good. A few games have kept me occupied, like WoW and Guild Wars, but being completely burnt out on WoW doesn't leave me many options in any of the other currently released games.

I am waiting on a few upcoming games like Jumpgate Evolution, Earthrise, and Fallen Earth, but until then I am utilizing my new found free time to practice and learn more programming skills so that I may one day make my own game the way they should be made.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

A lot of games are like that, but there are some that aren't.  If you really want something different, try A Tale in the Desert or Puzzle Pirates.

That you're playing a game in alpha might also be the problem.  Alpha testing is to test particular systems to see if they actually work, often with a lot of pieces of the game disabled entirely because they're known to not yet work.  Even a game that will be really great once released isn't likely to be particularly fun to play in alpha testing apart from the novelty factor.

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514

its not the alpha, trust me .  i've tested a ton of games.  I just have zero desire right now.   I'd rather play a shooter or lego starwars or a game like that lol.  Just more fun.  

• BooksyBooksy Member Posts: 64

Aion and Kotor are like this too OP. 

So yes, there's going to be a whole lot of trash still to come LOL.

I play a lot of single player games too again.

• TatumTatum Member Posts: 1,153

To be honest, I can't stand any type of questing, it just bores the hell out of me.  Following a script isn't my idea of entertainment.  Seriously, even in single player RPGs theres only so much questing that I can stomach.

Unfortunately though, yea, it does look like all of the AAA MMOs are headed in that direction.  The only thing you can do is wait around for one of the smaller titles to actually survive.  Apparently, they're the only ones with an interest in open world style game play.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Some of these problems stem from the audience that the games cater to.  Since the taste of games is so varied usually the larger part or the louder part gets their way and games end up being what they see as ideal.  Now you take someone who jsut wants to be thrown in there and find his own pat and give him a game like this and the majority begins to look down on said person because he's either laging behind or isn't following the "norm"

After a while of hearing constant negativity he/she is bound to just pack up and leave.  Nobody wants to be subjected to crap like that.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

There is maybe a handful of MMO i want to try left before quitting mostly ones not released yet, Star Trek Online, Crusades, Fallen Earth, Darkfall and Jumpgate Evoultion other than that is the SOS out there , more glorified single player MMORPGs that are really MMOGs with a monthly fee like Star Wars The Old Republic, and Aion luckily all that is in development right now are indie companies making a comeback with sandbox titles and non high fantasy games which is a relief to the over saturation of fantasy and failure MMOs.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

The games have been dumbed down but you haven’t. MMO’s cost more than solo games, the risk of them going pear shaped makes designers stick with the standard template more. That’s just an exaggeration of what has happened to the whole games industry.

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514

I'm gonna try out Oblivion again.  I have the game but only played for a short time because LOTRO sucked me in.  Hopefully it will be a refreshing RPG.  Also, looking forward to Diablo 3.  Its time for me to start playing games again instead of killing 300 slugs for +1 to a Virtue. 

But your right,  u either follow the WOW forumla or risk losing money. 

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

Yep, I feel the same way. I'm on the verge of taking a nice long break from mmorpgs. I have been playing mmorpgs for over 10 years now and I'm just burned out on the same tired concepts. Here are the last 4 mmorpgs I have played:

LOTRO - Cancelled after 2 months out of boredom

AOC - Cancelled after 2 months out of boredom

WAR - Cancelled after 2 weeks out of boredom

WOTLK Expansion - Still have an active account......but have only made it to level 72 since it released. Just can't bring myself to play it.

I have a nice stack of dvd-coasters on my coffee table.

From looking at the new mmorpgs coming down the pipe, I don't even see anything that looks like it will break away from the WOW-clone mold. Darkfall seems to be the only game that does.......but I have serious doubts about that game. It's seems like Dark and Light all over again.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

you would appreciate this commentary

Anti-Aliased: Top 5 things MMOs should learn in the new year
    www.massively.com/2009/01/02/anti-aliased-top-5-things-mmos-should-learn-in-the-new-year/

#1 -- "Kill/Quest, Level" concept is a dead horse, get on with it already!

Yes! Get on with it! This is, without a doubt, in my mind, the biggest failure of the industry today. We're following along a solved formula, and it's shooting this industry in the foot. Player needs to level, player completes quests and kills monsters, player reaches next level, player gets new abilities, player uses abilities to go complete quests and kill monsters, et cetera.

We keep asking the question, "Why don't these new games seem like they're as good?" And then we begin this in-depth analysis and begin checking every aspect of the game to find out why this feels like we've done it all before. The answer is taking a step back, looking at the model and exclaiming aloud, "Holy heck in a handwoven handkerchief, we have done this before!"

The reason we keep playing single player games is because each one has it's own twist on the core formula. Couple that with the story and personal experience, and you get a great game. Our MMO industry needs to learn this fact this year -- not next year. The quest/kill, level, quest/kill model has been done and overdone. Gameplay needs to expand past this. Even reputation grinding is nothing more than the quest/kill to level system.