Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

anyone else feeling burnt out?

Comments

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138
    Originally posted by Azrile

I think a lot of problems people have with WOW is that they focus too much on 'progress' rather then just enjoing the content.  If you are staring at your EXP bar every time you turn in a quest, then yeah, it will become boring.   If you check how much honor you gained after every battleground, then yeah it will be boring.  Alternate the things you do.  Instead of questing for 4 hours, quest for 1,  do a battleground or 2, run an instance etc.  People tend to look for the 'next' goal, and then force themselves to do what is necessary to get to that goal repeatedly.  In your case, leveling.   Take a break from leveling, and earn some honor you will need at 80.  Or run some instances for stonekeeper's shards (you'll have to go win lake wintergrasp first).

Or do something completely insane for no particular purpose whatsoever.  I decided recently to run through some old instances with my Death Knight, just to get the achievement.  I first ran thru the deadmines and had a blast.  You just can't fathom just how much fun it is to purposely try to aggro as many possible mobs as you can and then stand there and AoE them into oblivian.  Would take me about a minute just to loot the bodies laying in a circle at my feet, LOL.  Finished the instance in like 15 minutes and sent all the green items that weren't bound to me to my brand new enchanter.  Did that with as many of the low level instances as I could.  Deadmines, Blackfathom Deeps, Shadowfang Keep, Stockades, Gnomeregan, Razorfen Kraul, Razorfen Downs, Scarlet Monastery.  Leveled up enchanting to like 60 by doing nothing but disenchanting.  I stopped when I hit Uldamann and realized that I couldn't finish it by myself.  Not because the mobs were too tough but because to complete the instance you have to rub on an altar to open the doors to the next area and I think it requires like 3 people rubbing.

I got next to nothing out of it, but it was still fun and wasted a good couple hours that way.

I also went with 2 other Death Knights thru Stratholme and Ramparts just for the achievement and to comlete the quests in Ramparts that I hadn't done earlier.  I have a lvl 70 Death Knight and the other 2 were around lvl 60 so they finished all the quests and I think they even got a couple blues out of it that were worth keeping.  It's easy to find stuff to do if you think outside the box a bit.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by Pappy13

I think a lot of problems people have with WOW is that they focus too much on 'progress' rather then just enjoing the content.  If you are staring at your EXP bar every time you turn in a quest, then yeah, it will become boring.   If you check how much honor you gained after every battleground, then yeah it will be boring.  Alternate the things you do.  Instead of questing for 4 hours, quest for 1,  do a battleground or 2, run an instance etc.  People tend to look for the 'next' goal, and then force themselves to do what is necessary to get to that goal repeatedly.  In your case, leveling.   Take a break from leveling, and earn some honor you will need at 80.  Or run some instances for stonekeeper's shards (you'll have to go win lake wintergrasp first).

Or do something completely insane for no particular purpose whatsoever.  I decided recently to run through some old instances with my Death Knight, just to get the achievement.  I first ran thru the deadmines and had a blast.  You just can't fathom just how much fun it is to purposely try to aggro as many possible mobs as you can and then stand there and AoE them into oblivian.  Would take me about a minute just to loot the bodies laying in a circle at my feet, LOL.  Finished the instance in like 15 minutes and sent all the green items that weren't bound to me to my brand new enchanter.  Did that with as many of the low level instances as I could.  Deadmines, Blackfathom Deeps, Shadowfang Keep, Stockades, Gnomeregan, Razorfen Kraul, Razorfen Downs, Scarlet Monastery.  Leveled up enchanting to like 60 by doing nothing but disenchanting.  I stopped when I hit Uldamann and realized that I couldn't finish it by myself.  Not because the mobs were too tough but because to complete the instance you have to rub on an altar to open the doors to the next area and I think it requires like 3 people rubbing.

I got next to nothing out of it, but it was still fun and wasted a good couple hours that way.

I also went with 2 other Death Knights thru Stratholme and Ramparts just for the achievement and to comlete the quests in Ramparts that I hadn't done earlier.  I have a lvl 70 Death Knight and the other 2 were around lvl 60 so they finished all the quests and I think they even got a couple blues out of it that were worth keeping.  It's easy to find stuff to do if you think outside the box a bit.

Pappy, I think what you had fun doing is going where you choose and playing the way you want, instead of the way WOW tries to direct you to play.  And this is in spite of, not because of, WOW's design.

Part of the fun in early MMORPG's was to be able to wander the world freely, without feeling compelled to follow some linear quest grind.  Freedom is fun.

• S1GNALS1GNAL Member Posts: 366

Its very normal to get boored of a game you spend so much time playing. And from what I can see, the OP went straight away creating a Death Knight when WotLK was released. I assume you where already  boored of the class concept as it was.

What most people do not get, is that some days you will be bored like hell. This is very normal feeling. And you will encounter it in any game, at some point. No matter how well the game is. See your frustration, allow it to be, but do not cling to it.

There is a reason why WoW got close to 12 million subscribers. It delivers the stuff that keeps people playing. Every other MMO try desperately to copy WoW's success. Who want a copy of WoW? I do not. I would rather play the real thing.

• S1GNALS1GNAL Member Posts: 366

As pencilrick said so wisely, find the place inside yourself, that allows you to do what you want in the game. Instead of letting the game or other tell you what to do.

Freedom is never freedom from. Freedom is freedom to. Always remember this.

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

I'm fairly impressed with WoW. It's a well polished game with more thought put into the design and continuous design of the game than a person would think just glancing at it. It's a lot better when you've played WC 3 and understand first hand the things you are encountering.

Blizzard has a way of creating stories within stories, that culminate in the climax of another story. All the while, you're getitng new gear, skills, and making friends. Every Northrend zone, for example, has a few seperate mini-stories, which are set in the backdrop of the zone story. That zone story plays into the entire continents story.

If you like a good story, I don't see why anyone would get burnt out with WoW until after they've completed all the content. Most people who get burnt out admit to not caring about the lore and admit to not reading the quests. So in essense, the person is "grinding" their way through the game in hopes of obtaining some elusive goal that is never as sweet as you dream it to be when you get it.

I hit lvl 80 today on my DK and I'm having a lot of fun. End game is a lot different than leveling up, because instead of my focus being on leveling, it is on doing dungeons and PvP, leveling up professions (yuck), and being more involved in the community.

My first day as 80 and I already helped guildies free Thrall in CoT, complete a few instances, including a Heroic, killed many Horde taking away Wintergrasp, and have a couple upgrades in my gear/weapon to show for it.

A lot has to do with your perspective. If you are approaching the game in a boring manner, the game will be boring. That brings us back to "grinding" the game, instead of "playing" the game.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• iisflyiisfly Member Posts: 2

Wow. This is the same thing that has happened to me too.  I am feeling a little bored of the game, and I am awaiting Aion.  Hopefully, it will replace the game that I have played for so long.  I have played it since it came out, and I have been bored with it more than once,  I even quit for three months.  Now  I am ready to quit for good.

• SinentSinent Member Posts: 137

I have found the same thing and usally it can be attributed to the fact its really tuff to find groups or reason to group.

you dont get the same feel fromm mmo now adays as games of old when you actually had to group to get rid of yard trash.

not saying old way was so hot either because as game aged it got increasingly harder to get anything done.

that said i think its the way with all games now adays not that its a bad thing its just the way it is.

Some lead and some follow I prefer to stand beside!

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I feel the burnout coming once again, but still play it, I got another 15 days left on my account and may take a break once again.

• Originally posted by Sinent

I have found the same thing and usally it can be attributed to the fact its really tuff to find groups or reason to group.

I think that is the key with WOTLK, at least for me. LK was too easy, and the gear itemization was poorly done.

There are so many easy ways to get purple gear for both pve and pvp that it rapidly becomes a "why bother" thing with groups and heroics etc.

If I did max out most factions and got tons of heroic emblems, it would only allow me about a 5% max upgrade in all gear.

Why bother. ATM I am pretty much reduced to doing a couple of the really easy and quick dailies, like the cooking one, and even there it all has kind of a "bleh" feeling to it.

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357
    Originally posted by Laiina

Originally posted by Sinent

I think that is the key with WOTLK, at least for me. LK was too easy, and the gear itemization was poorly done.

There are so many easy ways to get purple gear for both pve and pvp that it rapidly becomes a "why bother" thing with groups and heroics etc.

If I did max out most factions and got tons of heroic emblems, it would only allow me about a 5% max upgrade in all gear.

Why bother. ATM I am pretty much reduced to doing a couple of the really easy and quick dailies, like the cooking one, and even there it all has kind of a "bleh" feeling to it.

I "bother" because I like grouping and I like doing Heroics and Raids. Getting Epics are nice, but getting Epics isn't the main reason I run those. Once I run them so much that they aren't a challenge anymore, I'll probably quit until a new patch has released with more raids and heroics.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• floppyfacefloppyface Member Posts: 97
    Originally posted by Pappy13

Hardly a ringing endorsement from the Great Protector of WoW on mmorpg to suggest doing 4 year old content is it now? 

I knew my time on WoW was coming to an end when I went back to do lvl 60 raid encounters after patch 3.0 came out and before the release of WotLK and enjoyed them much more than the lvl 70 raid content. I remember riding through ZG and looking at it and realising at how much superior it was to ZA in every way. Solo'ing stratholme for the mount I was astounded just how much effort and time Blizzard put into 5 mans pre-BC. BC is just hallway, boss, hallway boss end. WotLK is only marginally better. Now its prettier hallway, boss, prettier hallway boss with trash that can be aoe'ed down by a bunch of monkeys.

I lead 39 other people through BWL, 30 of who had never done BWL (and had to be summoned in by warlocks) and actually enjoying the content even though most of them were brain dead turkeys.

When 2-4 year old content gives you more fun than the new content you know its time move on.

• aqua61209aqua61209 Member Posts: 46

I was bored as all hell. Canceled sub and uninstalled WoW. Playing 360 while waiting for aion/darkfall lol

• BouncyCansBouncyCans Member Posts: 3

WOW doesn't retain "hardcore achievers" anymore. Those players get epics, do arenas, get bored, and quit. The people like yourself and others who become bored of WoW will typically go on to try other MMO's, become bored of those, and then change their forum sig to "waiting for *insert next upcoming MMO here*". Of which they'll also become bored of after reaching the top or "winning the game".

WOW retains those who play it purely for the social aspect. The people who level multiple toons with other people and probably have a few toons that have mostly blues and a few lowly epics. The people who are in the game while they are BS'ing on vent or in-game chat or the forums as a time-killing hobby. This is the vast majority of those numbers.

If you were to look at the accounts of people who have been hardcore raiding or hardcore arenaing for over the last 6 months or more, you'd find it to be such an insanely small chunk of that 11 million number. Not even 10K probably.

It doesn't take long to finally catch that carrot on the stick and become disillusioned with the epics that you thought you just had to have.

• QarkQark Member Posts: 234

This is just bunch of speculations and personal opinions. I like Wii, someone likes PS3 while some like Xbox...none of MMO games i played doesnt have non instanced world like WoW, or at least it doesnt look like its instance, no loading times when you walk from are to area.

Players who think WoW is boring are usualy players who like more "solo" playing. WoW become more guild and friends depending. Solo players get bored soon because there is not much to do...

-------------------->
    Would you like some cheese with that whine?

• BasbouwensBasbouwens Member Posts: 1

Uhhm i know you feeling. You want to be level 80 and you have the wrong class or WTH.

Ur friends have a good class and are lvl 80 and have a good life on world of warcraft. But what u need to do is enjoy the game, Go make instances and dungeons. Do things u want to do then the levels came.

A lot of people forget that to enjoy they only GRIND GRIND OMFGOSH MY FRIEND IS 3,2 bars better then my AAAAAAH  

Why the fack you think achievments points are there. To help people who have make a other game of the game.

Probz haarlem

hoi

• GazenthiaGazenthia Member Posts: 1,186
    This is a good answer.  Go play Warhammer or AOC for a month and you'll remember exactly why you play WOW.    I tried both AOC in May, and Warhammer in september while waiting for Wrath.  Both of them made me actually log into WOW even more than I would have without them.

I'm actually probably going to head back to Warhammer. That game was and still is superior to WoW. The only problems with it were low population caps set on the servers and I heard they fixed that.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/12/13/

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Most of the people reading these forums are hardly casual players. You may think that you are because you no longer spend all your free time into gaming, but you do play a considerable amount more than most people.

To put you into perspective, a WoW developer mentioned just before wraith hit the shelves that the majority of the WoW population didn't hit the level cap yet, and that was 2 years after the expansion.

I guess we consume content too fast. So we can all agree that it is nice to have alternative MMOs to spend your time, once the current MMO's content was experienced to its fullest.

Originally posted by Xasapis

Most of the people reading these forums are hardly casual players. You may think that you are because you no longer spend all your free time into gaming, but you do play a considerable amount more than most people.

2-3 hours a day on average.

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408
    Originally posted by Gazenthia

This is a good answer.  Go play Warhammer or AOC for a month and you'll remember exactly why you play WOW.    I tried both AOC in May, and Warhammer in september while waiting for Wrath.  Both of them made me actually log into WOW even more than I would have without them.

I'm actually probably going to head back to Warhammer. That game was and still is superior to WoW. The only problems with it were low population caps set on the servers and I heard they fixed that.

And the fact that noone could progress endgame since it was broken but I'm guessing you haven't gotten there yet, which probably also means you haven't experienced the mass amount of CC that happens in T4, which would also mean you don't really have anything to base WAR's superiority over WOW's on ... hmmm...

Originally posted by Pheace

And the fact that noone could progress endgame since it was broken but I'm guessing you haven't gotten there yet, which probably also means you haven't experienced the mass amount of CC that happens in T4, which would also mean you don't really have anything to base WAR's superiority over WOW's on ... hmmm...

I haven't reached T4 Warhammer yet. However I have experienced enough to tell me that WAR is in fact much better than WoW in almost every way. I don't see how endgame WAR can be anymore CC reliant or imbalanced than WoW is currently. I DO see that the talent and specializing system is far superior, as is the tank-dps-healer paradigm which is a major issue that WoW will never overcome due to mechanical reasons.

Additionally, the PvE is also still vastly superior to WoWs even though Wrath was a major improvement. Graphics should go without saying.

Make that 2-3 hours per week and you'll getting closer to the real definition of casual player.

Edit: WAR is indeed better if you're looking for specific things. If you're more PvP oriented and don't mind the not so responsive combat, WAR is much much better than WoW, even taking Wintergrasp into the picture.

Also make sure you are in a heavy populated server, otherwise your experience with the game will not be as good. WAR needs a lot of people around you, otherwise it looses it's appeal really really fast. WoW is more PvE centric, thus more resilient to low populated servers.

WAR graphics are better at places, worse at others. Overall the feeling is that they are sharper. WoW LK vistas have improved a lot, especially compared to the BC expansion. The textures badly need some more detailing. I understand why they don't do it, I still don't like it though.

I would have probably still be playing WAR, if GOA wasn't so slow with the EU merges. On the other hand I'm glad I played LK expansion, because it was a really well made expansion and definitely worth my money.

Make that 2-3 hours per week and you'll getting closer to the real definition of casual player.

Alright. I don't know why you would pay a subscription fee for that though. At that point, are you even getting your money-worth of game time?

How much does it cost you to go to the cinema 4 times in a month?

How much does it cost you to go to the cinema 4 times in a month?

Lol, you know I have no idea? There hasn't been a movie I wanted to see in a couple of years.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

*one* movie could swallow all of $15.00

if you got a cola and popcorn to watch the movie with