Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VCO vs BBO

keslerikesleri Member Posts: 127

I will recreate this same thread in the BBO forum as well, since it's the same game run by 2 diffrent companies.

BBO is at  : http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/295

Well i have played and i am still playing BBO, on the F2p Server, all i can say that it is a diffrent change from VCO, with the community being wonderfull and helpfull . Not so many "spoiled" kids here compared to other MMO's population.

If you are at least 18+ and act mature, you will find a new home for your online gaming needs :)

As many of you know BBO is the same game as VCO (Voyage Century Online) but ran by a diffrent company ( with it's headquarters in Germany VCO is run by an US company but with it's HQ in Asia).

Bounty Bay Online - Run by Yusho, have decent staff members who actually know what they are doing and how they are doing it, so far i haven't seen them doing anything to the game in order to ruin it. I like it how a managing company doesn't interfeer in the game with all sorts of activities and does not make radical changes all of the sudden without making sure everything works perfectly and it is bug free. Even if there is a Bug of some sorts they can quickly fix it. The support team actually knows how to speak english and understands it perfectly and they provide real sollutions to problems you may encounter.

As for VCO,

VCO gives new players some "pimped" out Ship and Gear, to attract new players, but what this actually accomplished was to destroy 25-30% of the game's content, disolving any attempt to craft your own gear and leveling the inferior levels of your ship. (Practicly you are missing out since the lower levels are the most fun to play on, since they are not so grindy ) . I got a level 6 raider ship quite fast on BBO without the need help of "Newbie" items, and i enjoyed it. Besides the "Newbie" Gear you receive in VCO there are some really lame events with really dumb rewards, who put some players who have worked really hard for their gear in a disadvantage, making them question why they are still playing there.

VCO is ran by a really money hungry company as well, taking content out of the Free game, and making you Pay for it in order to gain access etc. (Yes not to mention the faulty support, in which if you are in trouble you could wait at least 1 week to explain and re-explain the same case over and over again untill you reach the end of your nerves)

BBO/VCO offers a lot of content with plenty trading skills (Mining/Logging/Fishing/Tailoring/ShipBuilding/Foundry/Alchemy etc. ) to intense Ship battles and Land Battle.

The newly F2p server  on BBO was launched aprox ~1 Month ago so you will find a lot of new players just starting out like yourself.

All in all if you are looking for some time to relax you can enjoy this game and at the same time find out how the world looked a few hundred years ago, then you should give this game a try.

Comments

• CaptAntillusCaptAntillus Member Posts: 58

A few questions/observations about this post.

Question: Is there no Dragon Gunboat? You start with the old basic ship and change it for a level 1 at the beggining? And no recruit´s weapons/jewels?

The publishers of these games are different, but the developer is the same, so how can I know the engine is not the same? For exemple, the  rl money draining fail rates of the two games are the same or different? I don´t mind to have a fail rate by crafting a weapon or uniform, but when it comes to refiners, that´s my hard earned rl money that goes on failed, failed, failed.

How are the quests? Are them the same as VCO or are different? I believe the new HI patch is implemented, so i have to ask: are there new quests? Honest new quests, or just lame excuses to make you spend money on Item Mall?

If the F2P server has just open, I think there are no High levels yet (one can never know, I started VCO in the end of open beta and already there was people there with every skill maxed), but how will it be for high level(dragon) equipment. Are the mats impossible to find or you have a good chance to get them?

IGG is a bloodsucking company, that is for sure. But how can I know Yusho will not become one too, once they have the chance? If the codes of the games are the same, that is much likely to happen.

Just to say: this is no flame. I am just a VCO addict that is very angry with IGG´s greed. But would not F2P BBO be just a trap for guys like me? people who are p****** off with IGG that may leave one evil to be victim of another?

• keslerikesleri Member Posts: 127

Please do not try to compare the German superiority of managing stuff to the Chinese management.

Well go ahead and check it out yourself, and no you do not get Dragon GunBoat or other new commer gear as you do in VCO.

About high level materials, that depends there is already a market for materials but as people get higher level in trading skills, more high level materials will be availeable. Regarding the IM Cash shop, guess you will have to come and see it for yourself.

Honestly, to come and see how it is to have my doubts cleared it would take 10 months or more. 

I understand you start the old fashioned way, lvl 1 boat, crappy weapons, no noob jewelry. I started like this in VCO, so no news here.

No answer about quests. Still don´t know if they are the same or different of VCO ones.

About mats to craft dragon, I really don´t see much a relation with high level trade skill. The most rare items if you want to craft dragon gear are the treasures(discovered after the making of high level treasure maps). if making a lvl 3 map in VCO is hard and a level 4 is nearly impossible, and there is always the chance you find a lower level treasure from a high level map. How hard it is to find a lvl 4 treasure weapon to craft a black dragon weapon?

I really don´t wanna join BBO to find out about IM because it would be exactly what I am trying to avoid coming to the foruns and asking users about game details. I play VCO for 13 months now, but it was only in the last couple of months that it really became expensive. In my first 11 months in game I´ve spent U$ 10/month in IM.

My doubts about the game engine(especially about fail rates) remain. And I can see, watching BBO IM, that even the infamous auto scrolls are present.  And the even more absurd phase 3 books either. And a few more stuff that would need a thread for them alone.

Seriously, a quick watch on BBO IM make it seems even worst than VCO one. But that would take a whole new thread alone.

If you aren't looking for a good experience then go ahead and stick with VCO.

The scroll books become useless once you reach a certain level as you can get more exp doing the actual thing that the skill was designed for.

In BBO there are phase 3 autoscrolls, that give you 3 times the xp gain of the regular ones. This means you get 64,8 million points on 6 hours of online imobility. This means a whole level and more after level 100.

Everything that is bad and in VCO is also in free BBO. Unless Yusho is a company of righteous paladins and asked for changes-in their disfavour-in a game engine designed to be a money drain.

I replied to your posts in the other thread. If you have so much against F2p games with Item Mall items then there's a p2p version which costs 15$/month.

I really never played a payed game, so I could never have an opinion about it. I played only F2P games, and the only one where I evolved a char till high level was VCO. All this argument began after I just stated a few opinions of mine about the game on latest stages that you didn´t took well.

I guess one should be cautious when get in some high debate about a game that is playing for a month or so, and never tasted the real deal. I´ve been  playing VCO for 14 months, now. And I just started to spend real money in the last 2 or 3. Before that, I used to spend U$ 10 a month. But I´m in a war guild, and if I want to keep up I need to spend much more money. That´s how it is in VCO. The game features are designed for it. And these features are the same in both VCO and BBO. Maybe Yusho still haven´t faced the problem yet, and maybe it reacts in a different way. But it´s IM is no different - or I should say-  even larger than VCO´s. And the points spendure is the same.

I don´t think I would try payed BBO. I think one account provides you a too limited experience of the game. One account, 2 chars, impossible to be logged at the same time.  If one could have 3 accounts for each subscription, then things could work, imho.

Well, anyway, I still haven´t found a game that could make me leave VCO. Free BBO could have its appeal. But I think I know where it´s going. I don´t want to spend 12 months playing a game just to find myself in the exact position I was a year before.

• SpirusSpirus Member Posts: 10

The truth behind all this is that BBO is not that great.

OK BBO members flame all you want at me but that is the truth. I mean firstly look at the ratings on mmorpg.com.I played VCO for a year and tried BBO to but didn't pay for more then a month or 2.

I just missed VCO and the large comunity(if BBO is larger i don't know but VCO's is better).I missed the alliances, the wars, the guys that were better then me believe it or not, In BBO everyone is all the same lvl.I even missed the rows between alliance members in public chat.

Hurricane patch may have lost alot of players but slowly they are all coming back. The new colonial patch will be released in May/June and it will certainly bring alot back.

I posted this in the bbo forum too

• peleg97peleg97 Member Posts: 2

i did not try BBO but VCO is a VERY GOOD game.

• nymphiladenymphilade Member Posts: 2

BBO is the copy of VCO ,BBO has no item mall and its not free.

VCO

Actually, BBO has two server, one P2P and other F2P with Item Mall.

The second one may be more successfull, once VCO/BBO is a game designed for multiple account and AFK leveling. That´s why I always thought  BBO was a bad idea. And Yusho seems to think the same, once they launched a F2P server.

• Mike215Mike215 Member Posts: 6

I will again try BBO ...with this so called f2p

Whats in the item mall in this one ?

BBO is same VCO without good gear .

Like the bragon head Gun boats and starter gear ?

The stuff VCO IGG gave out so new players can catch up faster to old ones ?

BTW --If you desire to have the freedom to play with Old ships and gear --and NOT use the new stuff in IGG version --you can just make an alt ...For FREE ...and go crazy ..in fact you can have three with one of each type of old ship --and NO new gear ..and you can not pay a dime .

but --you say BBO offers same thing ..but no choice ?

How is that better ??

[quote]Actually, BBO has two server, one P2P and other F2P with Item Mall.

The second one may be more successfull, once VCO/BBO is a game designed for multiple account and AFK leveling. That´s why I always thought BBO was a bad idea. And Yusho seems to think the same, once they launched a F2P server.

[/quote]

This guy says it same with less words.

Truth is --if VCO was a good p2p game ---they do not need to open f2p with item mall like vco  / IGG .

The true difference may only be in the Customer support.

I have experianced IGG ---I rather be shot in my groin with poison darts ---I never had to USE BBO support when I tried it --but servers were empty --so after the two weeks I was gone ..but my friends say the support is great ...those that stayed --or play both .

Thats the funny part ...so many play both games .

• AmeranaAmerana Member Posts: 20

BBO is dead on p2p they have closed the server and wont be long till they do the same to f2p vco is 4 updates ahead of bbo, Yusho has stopped investing in bbo

So i would say go with VCO

• globosudglobosud Member Posts: 2

this is not true, the yusho is investing, January 15 was announced the patch colony.  after 15 January  bbo and VCO will be same.  

Look the link: http://www.bountybayonline.com/index.php?content=News&news_id=175

Originally posted by globosud

this is not true, the yusho is investing, January 15 was announced the patch colony.  after 15 January  bbo and VCO will be same.  
    Look the link: http://www.bountybayonline.com/index.php?content=News&news_id=175

Sorry, but that´s not true. In march(probably) the new patch Era of Conquest will be released, and VCO will be, once again, ahead of BBO.

• globosudglobosud Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by CaptAntillus

Originally posted by globosud

Sorry, but that´s not true. In march(probably) the new patch Era of Conquest will be released, and VCO will be, once again, ahead of BBO.

Patch new era coming for june, 6 mounth.  After in bbo 1000 points worth is 25 euro in vco 55 dollars. from junuary and until june vco like bbo, in bbo there isn't event for upgradin armor and weapon, in bbo if want uniform next you need of treasure. I am ex vco columbus, and bbo is better , vco is for rich, bbo is for all-  in vco is easy to be strong, with event you can have black armor free , and can have ,without treasure without play  frozen loricae, vco not is a game but only a machine for earn money,in marco polo in 2 mouth many player have best armor and best uniform and jewlry , in vco important is only pay, not is more a game, vco was game when i played i, 2 years ago. Not important to have tortuga bs if not have fighuread with 600 cannons of bonus, in vco not important if have lorica if it not have mega bonus.                           sorry for my english.

• ghostlanceghostlance Member Posts: 1

Im a recent switcher  as the BBO community are mostly jerks of the first order as for BBO being better LOL the high lvl players will not help you nor will they leave u alone to level. Theres nothing like spending silver  for Ramie seeds and auto planting card only to have someone come kill you while afk planting and losing your seeds. I had 2 Arch-Duke chars and just deleted them

• CoffeeGirlCoffeeGirl Member Posts: 1

Voyage Century Online is one of the worst online mmorpg games out there. First off it starts off telling you a lie. It says it is a forever free game but it is not. The only way to get anywhere in the game is by using their Item Mall system and spending a ton of money on the game.

The game moderators are the worst. They only listen to the player if they have spend atleast $2,000 just in the last few months on the game. The normal player will not get any help or any consideration by the moderators. Instead they will tell the player they will submit the problem to their tech support and the tech support send a email. The email will never come. So if you have any problem in the game don't ask live support for help because they wont help you unless your spending $2,000 or more on the game. It is sad but true.

I have been playing the game for 3yrs and I still have yet to recieve an email from their so called Tech team. The only reason why I stayed for so long is the friends I made at the beginning.

I suppose the best part of the game is that you can cheat and get away with it. Making several Characters is just about the only way you can get the materials you need for the ships, armors and weapons, unless you are going to waste all your money on a supposed free game.

I have yet to try BBO. I was going to try it out because I was told it was Pay to play, but if it is Item Mall based then I dont want anything to do with it.

I must disagree with one things Coffee Girl said: VCO is the best MMO I ever played. By far. The game itself, I mean. However, it was developed by a crappy company, Snail, and was published by an equally crappy company, IGG. 

The rest is the absolute truth. If you want to be anything but cannonfodder in PvP you need to spend a ton of cash. Not to be the best. If you spend U$ 2000 you won´t be among the best. Because they have spent a lot more. The ERA OF CONQUEST patch was developed exactly to enhance even more your cash shop needs. Even PvE requires IM refiners, or you won´t be able to do any instances, but the low level ones. You need to use jewels, which loose durability with supersonic speed, especially in instances. And to repair them, you need IM repairs. IGG nerfed your ways to make money in game(trading should be an excellent way, but is not). A good Merchant task gives you, in average, like 4 million silvers. It may take hours to get completed. If you have a level 12 ship with supershield, and you get sunk in a siege war, you´ll need 2,5 million to repair Ship + Shield(unless, of course, you want to repair them yourself, with your shipbuilding skill. Which has a cap of 120 repair  per second. Considering your ship has 140000 dura and your shield 300000, you will take  an hour to get them repaired.  And you get sunk a lot, because heavy IM users can sink your 140k dura ship in one hit.

If you want to seriously collect materials, you need IM passports. Because the sources in game exhaust in like 5 minutes. and you have to wait more than an hour to get them refreshed.

Truth is, if VCO were not such an amazing game, it would have closed already, ages ago, because it´s the biggest moneysink in the history of MMO. And everyone knows that. Just can´t stop playing because it´s so good.

• KunightlyKunightly Member UncommonPosts: 7

Originally posted by CaptAntillus

I must disagree with one things Coffee Girl said: VCO is the best MMO I ever played. By far. The game itself, I mean. However, it was developed by a crappy company, Snail, and was published by an equally crappy company, IGG. 

The rest is the absolute truth. If you want to be anything but cannonfodder in PvP you need to spend a ton of cash. Not to be the best. If you spend U$ 2000 you won´t be among the best. Because they have spent a lot more. The ERA OF CONQUEST patch was developed exactly to enhance even more your cash shop needs. Even PvE requires IM refiners, or you won´t be able to do any instances, but the low level ones. You need to use jewels, which loose durability with supersonic speed, especially in instances. And to repair them, you need IM repairs. IGG nerfed your ways to make money in game(trading should be an excellent way, but is not). A good Merchant task gives you, in average, like 4 million silvers. It may take hours to get completed. If you have a level 12 ship with supershield, and you get sunk in a siege war, you´ll need 2,5 million to repair Ship + Shield(unless, of course, you want to repair them yourself, with your shipbuilding skill. Which has a cap of 120 repair  per second. Considering your ship has 140000 dura and your shield 300000, you will take  an hour to get them repaired.  And you get sunk a lot, because heavy IM users can sink your 140k dura ship in one hit.

If you want to seriously collect materials, you need IM passports. Because the sources in game exhaust in like 5 minutes. and you have to wait more than an hour to get them refreshed.

Truth is, if VCO were not such an amazing game, it would have closed already, ages ago, because it´s the biggest moneysink in the history of MMO. And everyone knows that. Just can´t stop playing because it´s so good.

This is nothing compared to Conquer Online, lol

7Knights