Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An original idea needs your support (for LoTRO players only)

TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

I hope this doesn't bother anyway but I found this post on the official LoTRO forums and was very impressed.  IMO it adds a tramendous amount of depth to the world and would really boost the RP aspects of the game.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=86442

This would bring so many people together in the game, which is what it's all about!

If you are a LoTRO player and like this well presented idea please take a minute to go /sign the thread in the hope the DEVs will take notice.

Thanks

Comments

• Bedlem3342Bedlem3342 Member UncommonPosts: 252

Wow that does sound like a good idea.

• Manu20Manu20 Member Posts: 22

"it adds a tramendous amount of death to the world"

Death?  Really?  Do we want that?  I would rather have depth.  ;O)

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by Manu20

"it adds a tramendous amount of death to the world"
    Death?  Really?  Do we want that?  I would rather have depth.  ;O)

Corrected.

That's what I get for posting at work.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Man, that guy is pretty brilliant. That's exactly the type of thing a LOTRO fan/player wants in this game.

I was kind of disheartened though, that it took Turbine almost a month to publicly acknowledge the guy's ideas as "seen" in the threads. It almost appeared they hoped the thread would die before having to comment on it. A few posters even posted before they responded "I'm not letting this thread die!" lol

I figure they'd jump at that one.. well thought out.

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

A lot of thought went into the guy's ideas, but I thought overall the concept was pretty dumb.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but there are so many better things Turbine could be working on to improve this game, many of which have been suggested frequently and well in the forums: changes to housing, changes in how the chat channels are set up, improvements to the LFF system, etc.

The ideas here (Tavern Revelries?) are just a waste of coding time, imo.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by tmr819

A lot of thought went into the guy's ideas, but I thought overall the concept was pretty dumb.
    I hate to be a wet blanket, but there are so many better things Turbine could be working on to improve this game, many of which have been suggested frequently and well in the forums: changes to housing, changes in how the chat channels are set up, improvements to the LFF system, etc.

Actually I don't agree. As I just posted in that forum, it's not my type of thing. I wouldn't be participating as I don't really care fo that stuff.

But I do think it would add an extra dimension to the game. It would add more meaning to taverns and public places. Being a part of a city I've noticed that that is a huge part of the city culture. Whether it be buskers or street performers or small bands playing on a saturday afternoon, it gives life to the city other than shopping.

I don't think it would be a huge deal at all. And as they have separate people who work on things such as the interface or the class balance or what have you, I don't see this really taking any more time then say the fishing system.

They have one hobby for a system where they intend to add more so this could fall right in.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

I don't think this would be a major undertaking for the developers.  For me this idea not only added to the mechanics of the game but signifigantly enhances the feel of the world. 

• Gamer_17Gamer_17 Member Posts: 202

that is an amazing post he made,

but i do like the inovation of it having to do more with how much hope the party has or if its going in to a suicide mission but then that becomes the problem of why do it if you might make it worst i hope turbine has this in very soon

do u think turbine will put this in live game?>?

• Larry2298Larry2298 Member Posts: 865

I really much disliked and disagreed any sort of creation like this to become a mainstream or twisted the traditional gameplay. I prefer to see more improvements to make reputation system worthier while it takes long time for player to reach kindred status.

In other games, your reputation allowed you to enter into a disputable area, in lotro, it is pointless to have kindred reputation. For example, 3 factions sold horses but you can get horses from festival without grinding. Housing decorations? Armors and weapons? Sry, they are all junks.

With Moria released, Virtues in group instances already like give away.

Originally posted by Sovrath

Actually I don't agree. As I just posted in that forum, it's not my type of thing. I wouldn't be participating as I don't really care fo that stuff.
    But I do think it would add an extra dimension to the game. It would add more meaning to taverns and public places. Being a part of a city I've noticed that that is a huge part of the city culture. Whether it be buskers or street performers or small bands playing on a saturday afternoon, it gives life to the city other than shopping.
    I don't think it would be a huge deal at all. And as they have separate people who work on things such as the interface or the class balance or what have you, I don't see this really taking any more time then say the fishing system.
    They have one hobby for a system where they intend to add more so this could fall right in.

In truth, I have no interest whatsoever for dimensions to any game that I consider peripheral or off-track. In that category, I would also include fishing and all "holiday events" (Yule, hah). Maybe, I'm just a Scrooge, but my primary focus is the central game: the primary quests, advancing my character. I don't mind that these side-show things are in the game, I just wish the more important stuff could be focused on instead of the frou-frou. Yule and other such events just annoy me because I get "faked out" by the Yule-associated quests, thinking they are "real quests". Once I know it's holiday related, I know to skip it.

The guy's idea, while well thought out and inventive, is a major MAJOR example of frou-frou.

There is so much more important stuff needed in this game than anything like this. You are correct in that I can just ignore its existence, of course, but it would irk me to no end to see a major upgrade patch include something like this instead of an overhaul to housing (which needs help desperately) or LFF channel/interface improvements, which as the lower-level population continues to thin out, really needs some loving attention.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Like th eposter after you I don't agree I am certainlynot the type of player who would use this skill but the truth is if you kow anything of the lotro community this is in fact something that lot's of players of the game would use and enjoy. I certainly don't expect everything they "waste" their time coding to affect me directly. 

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

Originally posted by Sovrath

In truth, I have no interest whatsoever for dimensions to any game that I consider peripheral or off-track. In that category, I would also include fishing and all "holiday events" (Yule, hah). Maybe, I'm just a Scrooge, but my primary focus is the central game: the primary quests, advancing my character. I don't mind that these side-show things are in the game, I just wish the more important stuff could be focused on instead of the frou-frou. Yule and other such events just annoy me because I get "faked out" by the Yule-associated quests, thinking they are "real quests". Once I know it's holiday related, I know to skip it.

The guy's idea, while well thought out and inventive, is a major MAJOR example of frou-frou.

There is so much more important stuff needed in this game than anything like this. You are correct in that I can just ignore its existence, of course, but it would irk me to no end to see a major upgrade patch include something like this instead of an overhaul to housing (which needs help desperately) or LFF channel/interface improvements, which as the lower-level population continues to thin out, really needs some loving attention.

I certainly respect your opinion but for your sake I'm hoping the three yule spirits will pay you a visit and set you on the right path.  j/k but I do think you are in the minority here. Most people I know who play in online worlds enjoy participating in special events for the sole purpose of having fun. Special events also strengthen the community providing more opportunity for people to interact with one another.

That's the biggest part of the posters proposal.  It would facilitate a more natural way of creating and joining groups. Since the dawn of Fantasy games the tavern or inn has served as the starting point of all adventures. It's where you joined others or sought others to join you in some common goal or quest.  How much more fun would it be to walk into the local pub and see groups being formed with people smoking, playing music, dancing  and heaven forbid talking to each other.  All the while  gaining in merriment resulting in added party bonuses that will give a minor or even major advantage.  This to me seems so much more fun than simply standing in the streets of Bree spamming LFG over and over again.

Now I realize there are lots of things on the Turbine list to address in the way of game mechanics. However I submit that most people who play this game are looking for something more than spreadsheet gear grinding.  LoTRO is not about rushing to the end of the game to raid. It's about enjoying all the moments of the game, and an idea like this would go along way to making that happen.

I'll let you know whether the three spirits show up, but I have a feeling that if they have any message for me, it'll be to stop playing online games so much. :)

Again, I say that I wouldn't care if this Revelries thing is instituted, I guess, even though it is completely irrelevant to me and what I want to do in this game. What I *would* mind is to see something like this added into the game while other, more important game elements continue to remain limited, sub-par, and/or broken.

• beaverzbeaverz Member Posts: 660

The person that thought about this concept should be hung.

For forgetting about fishing, whats better than fishing with you kin having beer before doing a rift raid?

Only problem with this is that it would be qutie  big thing to implement. But heh if a dev reads this post, we might get it with a future expansion.

I'm not a no life that sits in front of his computer all day long, I'm an intern that sits in front of his computer all day long.