Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tabula Rasa: TR Now Free to Play

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

NCsoft has announced that Tabula Rasa has now gone free to play, and they have released a series of new content in the game.

We've released all new content - Earth, PvP Wargames, Epic Caves of Donn and more, and we want to remind you that Tabula Rasa is free to play, right now!

If you're a former player looking to return and check out the new content, just log into your PlayNC master account at www.plaync.com and visit Account Management to reactivate your account. It's as easy as clicking a button!

If you're a new player who has never tried Tabula Rasa, you can get a Tabula Rasa Serial Code by visiting our Support site and submitting a request for a new code. Use that code at www.plaync.com to create a new account!

You'll need to activate your new account with a credit card number, but don't worry - that's just so we know who you are. We will not charge your card for Tabula Rasa gameplay.

Read more here.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

I'm confused.  Why do this if they're just going to take the game down entirely soon?  It's not like NCsoft is going out of business, are they? 

• WolfdorWolfdor Member Posts: 123

Probably just a thank you to those who purchased the game in the past, instead of letting the game die a slow death til they pull the plug, they make it free to let their loyal players have some fun and go out on a high note.  Plus NC Soft will get the chance to pimp CoH or L2 on to the players that return for the final month.

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975

I was under the impression that they were going to make it free at least for current subscribers until it's taken down, but why make an announcement and advertise it as if it's going completely F2P when they are planning to shut down in a couple months?  I would be pretty irritated if I joined an MMO, only to have it close down and disappear after the first couple months (especially when they are actually PLANNING on doing it).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Wolfdor

Probably just a thank you to those who purchased the game in the past, instead of letting the game die a slow death til they pull the plug, they make it free to let their loyal players have some fun and go out on a high note.  Plus NC Soft will get the chance to pimp CoH or L2 on to the players that return for the final month.

Yup, you've got it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Maybe they could have it free to play and use a cash shop like other f2p games.  Might be an option for people who love the game and hate to see it go. 

• icelotusicelotus Member Posts: 17

As this came a little while after the latest shutdown announcement, wonder if they are palnning to keep it up...

-----------------------------------
    I saw the the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness,
    starving hysterical naked, dragging themselves through
    the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix
    angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection
    to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night.

Allen Ginsberg (1926-1997)

• YanenYanen Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by Terranah

Maybe they could have it free to play and use a cash shop like other f2p games.  Might be an option for people who love the game and hate to see it go. 

qft

or they could use ads- that saved Shadowbane.  they should just open item shops, stop doing regular updates, and have Richard drop by every few months to get shot at.  problem solved pretty quickly tbh

• Rehab13Rehab13 Member UncommonPosts: 24

Ok, I haven't play TR since beta, but I'm interested in trying it again. One problem though, how do you get the serial code, it's pretty vague and doesn't exactly explain how to get one. Do you go to the ask a question section of the support page? If anyone can shed some light on this subject I would very much appreciate it.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

The way they are acting, it does seem a little cruel in that, if anyone didn't know TR was closing, it seems like they are just making it F2P. I honestly doubt anyone doesn't know that, but just something I noticed and some others have noticed too.

Now, as for the account thing. Does it even really matter anymore? Why the hell should I have to get a serial key and enter credit card info, just to play a free game? There is no reason for it. Hell, I was considering playing the game again while it's F2P, but despite that "free" notion, I wont enter my credit card info just to do it. It just doesnt sit right with me, and I may be a bit paranoid in thinking that there could be some alterior motive to this, but hey, better to be paranoid and cautious then just doing it if you ask me.

Besides, how hard is it to just remove the two requirements from the game?

• todeswulftodeswulf Member Posts: 715
    Originally posted by solareus

That is a huge move for NcSoft. It will be even bigger if they can maintain the game for more then a year's time. Hat's off to NcSoft for actually giving back to the players.

Yes talking with a couple friends at DG it is something they are looking at, they will not make an official announcement that the Game is going the Guild wars route,until they see the server numbers.... but apparently NCsoft is considering this for all of their titles. That would mean of course that there would be less free add-ons and more pay for expansions, but it has worked wonderfully for GW and may just put NCsoft on top.

• muphilmuphil Member Posts: 27

im lost

how can i get a code to play the game? i've looke don support page but im lost doesn't have anything on it about get a code

• MahrtiirMahrtiir Member Posts: 29
    ...visiting our Support site and submitting a request for a new code...

Gotta read all of it, people.

• coldacidcoldacid Member Posts: 16

i tried it when it came out.  but i really didnt like it. free or not i am not going back.  they are just doing what rf online is doing.  rf used to have a sub cost back in the day.

• velebnicekvelebnicek Member UncommonPosts: 85

Getting a code is easy. Just go to their support site (as you are told to).
    I used the "Ask a question" section ( direct link http://help.plaync.com/cgi-bin/plaync.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php ), selected Tabula Rasa, Account department, asked nicely for a code and it arrived few hours later.

It's a pity that another promissing NC game was released in buggy unfinished state (first Auto Assault and later Tabula Rasa) and awaits it's termination.

Tabula Rasa improved a lot lately it seems from a few hours I got to play on new account today.

Nice move from NC with this "come and play" even if it's for 2 months. (It will be shut down on 28th of February 2009). Players that already subscribed won't be slowly getting more and more bored on empty dieing servers. AFAIK they even promissed some "farewell events" before they switch it off.
    NC will have an opportunity to show that they are able to get a game to a state when it's not only playable but enjoyable. Too bad they haven't done that 1 year ago...

• SpeedMannSpeedMann Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Originally posted by solareus

That is a huge move for NcSoft. It will be even bigger if they can maintain the game for more then a year's time. Hat's off to NcSoft for actually giving back to the players.

It's closing down Feb 28/09

==================================================
    Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Only free through the beginning of February.  I already deleted it from my hard disk.  It was ok, but when you get down to it just a FPS with MMO qualities.  It had potential, but it was never realized.  They just could not find the magic formula.

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

Sad to see this game go down.  I played for a few months and had a blast, but I'm more into the pvp aspect a game and it just didn't deliver sadly.  I'll have to pop my head back in to say goodbye before it shuts down.

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

i was interested in seeing this . if i recall nscoft originally said that tabula rasa would be made free to play from the 10 january through to the end of february . it could be no more than an early version of that but could it be rather than close the game down totally they are looking again at a " free to pay " (mircopayment/paid expansion) model .

• AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249

If we wanna safe this game we all need to get back to playing it right now to help boost the population and so NCsoft will permanently turn TR into a GW style game.  I'm luving this idea.  Please make it free to play NCsoft because i wouldn't mind buying expansion packs instead of paying a monthly fee.

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829
    Originally posted by Cursedsei

The way they are acting, it does seem a little cruel in that, if anyone didn't know TR was closing, it seems like they are just making it F2P. I honestly doubt anyone doesn't know that, but just something I noticed and some others have noticed too.

Now, as for the account thing. Does it even really matter anymore? Why the hell should I have to get a serial key and enter credit card info, just to play a free game? There is no reason for it. Hell, I was considering playing the game again while it's F2P, but despite that "free" notion, I wont enter my credit card info just to do it. It just doesnt sit right with me, and I may be a bit paranoid in thinking that there could be some alterior motive to this, but hey, better to be paranoid and cautious then just doing it if you ask me.
    Besides, how hard is it to just remove the two requirements from the game?

I think you are being a little paranoid (no offense). I have played NCSoft's games for a long time, and I have never once had a credit dispute with them. They may require the credit card for two reasons I can see. 1) That is how the system was already set up, so why change your account procedure just for a dying game. 2) They may not want to have the game completely spammed, and that is a concern when you have open enrollments.

I don't think they have an alterior motive, but I guess if that is what you are used to, I can understand your reluctance.

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

• soulwyndsoulwynd Member UncommonPosts: 47

Oh please, just die already and take Richard Gayriot with you.

• shade273shade273 Member UncommonPosts: 47

So is it really and finally free to play?  This is confusing the **** out of me cause of all you people speculating.

Someone says "10 of Jan. through Feb" while the SITE SAYS IT IS NOW FREE TO PLAY.  Someone else wanna throw a torche in the fire?  Maybe some napalm while we are at it?

• billiebillie Member UncommonPosts: 400

YOU LIE.

Did you even TRY and activate a TR account?
    It still requires a serial code from a purchased software copy to activate a closed account.

WHEN ONE submits a question to their "support" for such a serial code those people respond by email they will get back to you but cut and paste a blurbs from "help" section (that detail one can use a serial code from the (purchased) software to activate their account) then they CLOSE the question refusing to send the serial code.

IT STILL REQUIRES A SERIAL CODE TO PLAY.
    THE ONLY WAY TO GET THE SERIAL CODE IS BUY THE GAME THAT WILL BE SHUTING DOWN IN nine weeks.

It is a lie it is free to play.
    Like the lie there is no global warming when it is 80*F outside a day before xmas when it is supposed to be in the 30s !!

edit
    The email request for key sent last week and CLOSED without sending a key, i went back into that closed petition and updated it requesting a serial key to TR (otherwise i would still be waiting for the followup email promised by support that would NEVER come, since they closed that initial support petition and did not followed up!)
    A GM responded to the updated serial code request email he would escilate the problem, later that day a different GM sent a 20 diget code that was accepted (in the plaync master account management section) to upgrade my beta account into a standard account.
    Was able to log in and see about four servers & a pts test server i think.

ALL they had to do was remove the serial code block. TR is no longer listed as an available game for direct download purchase, so no way to try and access the serial code problem that way. The support process requires one to make a second or third account (a plaync master account, a TR login account and a support account for problems).

TR was/is a fun shooter game. It is a shame it will be closing. It is worth the effort to get back in before the loss.
    A64x2 3800+, ati x1950pro 256MB, 95KB/s dsl (low end beta tester desktop)

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

ok, their system right now is VERY confusing, but i just got my free key.

looks like they are doing this by hand, so you may have to wait a full day or more before you receive your key (i asked for one more than 12 hours ago, not sure when i got it in my email, but it wasn't within a few hours)

there's a few mislabelled buttons in the process.  or at least one.

you have to send them a message asking for a key.  then press a mislabelled button at the bottom of that screen.  then it brings up 4-5 options of what their automated services THINKS might help you out, because they don't want to send your message yet if one of those options COULD help you instead.  just ignore those options and click on some other possibly mislabelled button that confirms that you REALLY want to send your message.  then just wait and hope it doesn't take to long for them to MANUALLY mail you out a key.  its NOT automated so it likely won't be right away.

sorry i couldnt' be more specific, but i'm not gonna go thru the process to tell you the exact steps.  just be aware that its a messed up process but that it DOES WORK if you fool around with it long enough.

ok, i'm going to play now  8)

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------