Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I got curious and logged into live EQ and this is what I saw ...

qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

I found this funny and thought I would share. Sadly that is about how I would feel if I logged in to EQ live today. I think you will have a good laugh anyway if you get it. 

Hint: Charlton Heston :P

Comments

• declaredemerdeclaredemer Member Posts: 2,698

Today, there is little left to burn, change, or "enhance." 

It is not so much that EQ died.  It is worse than that.  It is looking at this industry and knowing, not only that EQ is dead, but the EQ-gaming that so many of us love and cherish is never going to return.

• Everquest was the Vision of a Virtual World;
    • The Hope of Gaming; and
    • The Triumph of "Immersion Gamers" Over Their Simple Peers.

Long Live Everquest - May Our Memories Never Fade... Even in the Dust.

www.youtube.com/watch

We few... we happy few....

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by declaredemer 

We few... we happy few....

I think I found the problem.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • I dont know why these developers are so stupid.  They think are nostalgia will be short lived and they know what we want but we dont.  If everquest were to rerelease right now i would be the first one on it.  If a newer everquest type game were to come out i would be even more enthused.  I dont want it to be easy!  I dont want an exclamation a quest tracker and a question mark.  I dont want to turn level 35 in an hour of soloing.  Its stupid.  Yes I want to spend horus getting my corpse back, traveling for no reason, and actually bargain for items.  I want to walk if I can't cast, and splurge on a gate potion if im really tired.  I want to spend time looking for groups and depending on my guild. 

If I play one more game that is entirely solo im going to jump off of somethign large.  Everquest 3 plsplspls

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

That's great, and so true. 

The first time I felt that way was when I logged in just after Luclin came out and found the East Commonlands zone.... EMPTY.  And that was around 2001/2002.

Whenever dev's do something arfificial, the end up taking away from some of that a game is.

• krenalorkrenalor Member Posts: 214
    Originally posted by Xiliaro

I dont know why these developers are so stupid.  They think are nostalgia will be short lived and they know what we want but we dont.  If everquest were to rerelease right now i would be the first one on it.  If a newer everquest type game were to come out i would be even more enthused.  I dont want it to be easy!  I dont want an exclamation a quest tracker and a question mark.  I dont want to turn level 35 in an hour of soloing.  Its stupid.  Yes I want to spend horus getting my corpse back, traveling for no reason, and actually bargain for items.  I want to walk if I can't cast, and splurge on a gate potion if im really tired.  I want to spend time looking for groups and depending on my guild. 
    If I play one more game that is entirely solo im going to jump off of somethign large.  Everquest 3 plsplspls

You will be in a very empty world, we have all heard the stupidity of "how popular it will be" AKA "we have 40k people on one Vantard board alone!!!, so we will kill WoW when we launch"....ROFLMAO, but you will have no players, so YOU fund the flop. No one wants to play the silly EQ1 dumb sitting and slowly grind game and lose corpse silliness that was original EQ.

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715
    Originally posted by krenalor

I dont know why these developers are so stupid.  They think are nostalgia will be short lived and they know what we want but we dont.  If everquest were to rerelease right now i would be the first one on it.  If a newer everquest type game were to come out i would be even more enthused.  I dont want it to be easy!  I dont want an exclamation a quest tracker and a question mark.  I dont want to turn level 35 in an hour of soloing.  Its stupid.  Yes I want to spend horus getting my corpse back, traveling for no reason, and actually bargain for items.  I want to walk if I can't cast, and splurge on a gate potion if im really tired.  I want to spend time looking for groups and depending on my guild. 

You will be in a very empty world, we have all heard the stupidity of "how popular it will be" AKA "we have 40k people on one Vantard board alone!!!, so we will kill WoW when we launch"....ROFLMAO, but you will have no players, so YOU fund the flop. No one wants to play the silly EQ1 dumb sitting and slowly grind game and lose corpse silliness that was original EQ.

Lemme guess. WoW is your first and only MMO...

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

You would not be forced to play. I think they could have one server there with a healthy population. It would be a lot better than the current version of EQ. Sure it wasn't perfect but there are a lot of positives that a lot of people miss. Anyhow I think all MMORPG companies should keep a classic version of their game going to provide that experience. Players love options give them to us.

• krenalorkrenalor Member Posts: 214

My FIRST was EQ1, and the game sucked beyond belief. Here are a few reasons:

Looking at a spell book for first 35 levels, melee play like shit, and no dev  EVER tried to balance them, dr00ds kiting zones empty with the idiotic quading or more, Bards kiting entire zones, Knights no groups in Kunark, Warriors no groups in PoP, haphazard class nerfs (Monk in Velious/early Luclin), Complete Heal grossly over-powered, Charm grossly overpowered, idiots training because of no instancing, necromancer grossly over-powered, 

How about YOU answer some questions Mr. Know it all?

So we do a world no later than Velious, is it pre or post nerf on:

Necromancer pet weapon speed nerf, DoTs while kiting, Knights exp penalties, Knight modification to hit points, Knightimiztion of items in Velious, nerf Monks, Necromancers greedily hogging high value spawns, "play nice" or not, Noobie guards buffed, nerf Mana Burn, Bards kiting, Charm killing, Racial penalties, Racial bonuses, 105 people in LGuk - 110 in Sol B and no instancing to clear the glut of people up, etc, etc, etc..

Since you are such an expert you can tell me WHY they enacted the nerfs, lol, I bet you can't! You play AT EQ1 not IN EQ1, you piddled around with some low level turd characters, I feel sorry for people who DID NOT raid, not the ones that did. YOU missed a good 50%+ of the game!  I saw way more of the low level zones than I wanted and not enough of the high level ones due to people stupidly playing six characters instead of leveling ONE. I Identified with ONE character and knew when my class was being screwed by some of the most incompetant devs EVER, you didn't.

Funny how you bash questing in WoW, well in EverQUEST there was only a tiny, ity bity handful of quests worth doing, why call it EverQUEST and not EverRAID instead?

BTW, how is that RMT system going? Way to go and typical of Smedley to screw the player base, he has done it year after year and chumps still pay him. 

My FIRST was EQ1, and the game sucked beyond belief. Here are a few reasons:
    Looking at a spell book for first 35 levels, melee play like shit, and no dev  EVER tried to balance them, dr00ds kiting zones empty with the idiotic quading or more, Bards kiting entire zones, Knights no groups in Kunark, Warriors no groups in PoP, haphazard class nerfs (Monk in Velious/early Luclin), Complete Heal grossly over-powered, Charm grossly overpowered, idiots training because of no instancing, necromancer grossly over-powered, 
    How about YOU answer some questions Mr. Know it all?
    So we do a world no later than Velious, is it pre or post nerf on:
    DoTs while kiting, Knights exp penalties, Knight modification to hit points, Knightimiztion of items in Velious, nerf Monks, Necromancers greedily hogging high value spawns, "play nice" or not, Noobie guards buffed, nerf Mana Burn, Bards kiting, Charm killing, Racial penalties, Racial bonuses, etc, etc, etc..

Since you are such an expert you can tell me WHY they enacted the nerfs, lol, I bet you can't! You play AT EQ1 not IN EQ1, you piddled around with some low level turd characters, I feel sorry for people who DID NOT raid, not the ones that did. YOU missed a good 50%+ of the game!  I saw way more of the low level zones than I wanted and not enough of the high level ones due to people stupidly playing six characters instead of leveling ONE. I Identified with ONE character and knew when my class was being screwed by some of the most incompetant devs EVER, you didn't.
     Funny how you bash questing in WoW, well in EverQUEST there was only a tiny, ity bity handful of quests worth doing, why call it EverQUEST and not EverRAID instead?

You wouldn't have to play it if you enjoy the current games. I believe there are plenty of players out there that would enjoy it, at least enough for one server. The unbalances were there but this led to  class variety that is missing from newer games today such as WoW. Only way to remove imbalances for the most part has been to give everyone everything. You are making assumptions about how long others have played. You don't know how much or how little anyone has played. Yes there was some issues with the original EQ but you leave out all the positives. All games can be picked apart and the negatives pointed out.

I will tell you some things I personally miss about EQ. I miss having different characters than my friends. Leveling was a slow process and most everyone I knew only had one class .. not all of them. We enjoyed being different than our friends. This leads to the next point, we enjoyed the classes having such different abilities. In WoW classes have some different abilities but nothing that was so drastic that made you such a part of the puzzle to a good group. No Quest, I loved this. You made you adventure. You stated that it was ironic that it was called Everquest but very little quest. YOU made your own quest with your friends. Every time you set out to do things it was a quest that you were in control of not some npc. I like the freedom. I think quest make games too linear. I am smart enough to explore and find named monsters that I want to kill to get it's loot.

I like the player interaction required in EQ. You really made some friends in EQ. These games now you don't need anyone to do hardly anything. I like alot about EQ that would have me subscribed today. You talk about the issues of the original game, bugs, inbalances etc. Wouldn't it be fun to have a trilogy server that the developers could work with the "modernize" with input from the players. A game not ruined by expansions with bad lore and content that does not fit in.

I like the original graphics but it would be neat to see them redo them but not change them drastically like they did with luclin and this time they should change all the graphics not just parts here and there. Not change them from what they original looked like just more detailed, polygons, just updated.

Next they could instance some of those encounters with the technology today so there would not be long waits. Maybe like WoW did with their dungeons.

How about a lessened xp curve? There are things they could do to enhance old Everquest without taking away from what it is. Sure I enjoyed the original but I would play "Everquest Classic Enhanced" if it was offered today. I would play the original as well if it was offered.

• Tyvolus1Tyvolus1 Member Posts: 815

"Yes I want to spend horus getting my corpse back"

ABSOLUTELY not.  I loved the original EQ (pre expansions) but corpse runs almost caused me to quit and I loved the game.  Xp penalty yes, rez sickness, item decay all that is fine.  I am all about a strong death penalty.  But at 11 pm at night I should not be scared to play longer because I might die and spend 3 hours trying to find my corpse when I have to be up for work at 6 am the next day.  

Originally posted by Tyvolus1

"Yes I want to spend horus getting my corpse back"

ABSOLUTELY not.  I loved the original EQ (pre expansions) but corpse runs almost caused me to quit and I loved the game.  Xp penalty yes, rez sickness, item decay all that is fine.  I am all about a strong death penalty.  But at 11 pm at night I should not be scared to play longer because I might die and spend 3 hours trying to find my corpse when I have to be up for work at 6 am the next day.  

Every MMORPG that is out there should be different in my opinion. If all games try to be the same, we are going to have some boring gaming. I think EQ Classic deserves to be playable today. It was a great game and still is!

I would be okay with them changing somethings though. If they removed corpse runs I would be okay with that. To me though it was a big part of that game. It might lose the same feeling if they did that.

• I think alot of people are misunderstanding what the EQ supporters are saying.  Some posters are suggesting that it won't kill WoW.  No one wants it to, just because it doesn't kill WoW doesn't mean it won't turn a profit.  Second off, I know IRL many people who want the game back to how it was and cancled specifically because it is going in a direction they don't like, also whom have not found a game that could replicate the experience.  The reason their sub numbers have gone so low is because they are losing the appeal of a huge portion of their customers (former customers).  Its true that they still have some people who like how it is, but I wouldnt be suprised if most of them couldnt agree that EQ was better before.  And OK you think its silly to want to chase your corpse, but you have to understand that some people don't mind, or laugh at a failed attempted corpse run, who can deal with losing some experience (OH NO I HAVE TO PLAY A GAME LONGER TO COMPENSATE FOR MY LOSS :P).  I can understand why WoWs or other games simpler corpse recovery systems are more popular.  Not every game needs to have hard corpse runs.  In fact if that feature is a deal breaker for you there are tons of other options.  Even if I was meh on the idea I think there are other redeeming qualities.  Also who is to say that the quests arent worth doing.  For the story alone ive hailed some random NPCs and found myself on a mission I hadnt known would be in the game.  Also I've handed in some quests where I was fascinated at the obscurity of them and suprised at how many people i spoke to, what they said.

To sum things up, I dont think all other MMOs suck, or that everyone should play eq.  Personally I dont like other MMOs nearly as much, I know what I (I ALONE) want, and think that there are enough people that feel similarly to warrent a new server or new game which brings back features that are under-represented in todays games.  I also think thats partially why all the new games releasing are generally disliked.   That and I dislike that you attack the validity of our posts just because we did not post our raiding scheduales >_<.  I played EQ consistantly for several years (I can't remeber entirely but somewhere around 4-5) and even today i sub for a month now and then.  I'm suprised somone coudl assume a poster who likes the way EQ was illegitamte just because he/she did not speak about every bug or mistake in the game.  Not to mention WoW is exceptionally unbalanced at the moment, i've recently cancled my account with my warlock on it because he was my pvp character and he is nearly unplayable in arena combat.  WoW is a good game, but it still has critical flaws.  Just because you didn't jump right to how Warlocks are shred like tissue paper in your post doesnt mean you are a level 34 who hasn't figured out that there are flght paths yet.

Edit: I think a World of Warcraft Classic Server woudl do well too.

Great post X, I feel the same way you do. I would to like to replay EQ when it was a great cohesive gaming experience. Maybe one day we will get this server. If SOE doesn't want to, maybe they should sell server licenses to people who may would like to try to turn a profit with an EQ classic server.

They could franchise it and the company would have to pay a franchise fee. They could only make more money like this. Are they possibly afraid it may dwarf their current population? That might actually be a true fact but we will never know. I would like to take my time in a classic EQ knowing that the game will not change past original, kunark or velious .. I don't care which they stop it at up to that point. I would be able to explore everything I may have missed the first time. I would actually hunt out quest and do them, something I didn't do the first time around.

I would like to add one idea I have always though should be common in MMORPGs is a legacy server that is the original game that will not change. There should always be one of these to provide those players that do not like the expansions a place to play. I have seen every MMO I love explode over the years. I can go back and play my original Diablo game but I will never get to play my EQ classic game again ..unless something changes.