Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: A Talk About 1.1 Open RvR

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com Managing Editor Jon Wood had the chance recently to sit down and speak with the folks from Mythic Entertainment about yesterday's update 1.1 and specifically about the changes that were made to the Open RvR system. In this interview, the team discusses the changes, ORvR vs. scenarios, their intentions for feature balance and more.

Patch 1.1a, the biggest update to Mythic Entertainment’s Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning since the game’s launch back in September, has made a number of additions to the game, including: the introduction of two of the four classes that didn’t make the cut at the game’s original launch, new open RvR rewards, scaled difficulty public quests, and quite a bit more.

Earlier this week, I had the opportunity to sit down with a number of developers from WAR to talk about the changes to the game. In Part one of the interview, we talked about the changes to open field RvR.

“We’re very confident that this will be an even better version of Warhammer Online, Post 1.1,” said Associate Producer Josh Drescher when asked how 1.1 would impact the game. “We’re very excited about the positive response that we’ve been getting.”

Read A Talk About 1.1 Open RvR

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

Great! I can't wait to get home from work! :)

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Alwways cracks me up, Mythic's insistance in using the RvR acronym verses the normal PvP one.  They are essentially  one and the same.   

• JpizzleJpizzle Member Posts: 371

You want to know why people aren't RvRing? 

BECAUSE EVERY DAMN SERVER CRASHES AT >>>>>***EVERY****<<<<<< FORTRESS SEIGE! 

Stop focusing on giving us rewards to a system that is broken. Fix that shit, and people will be inspired to take part in it. Right now those players think "what's the point?" 

And those defending say in /region "need more players at the fortress to crash the server". What kinda damn defense is that!?!?! 

FIX

THE 

SERVER

STABILITY!!!!! (and actual fix it. Don't just tell us you did) 

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Originally posted by Jpizzle

Stop focusing on giving us rewards to a system that is broken. Fix that shit, and people will be inspired to take part in it. Right now those players think "what's the point?" 
    And those defending say in /region "need more players at the fortress to crash the server". What kinda damn defense is that!?!?! 

FIX

THE 

SERVER

I've been in a number of keep sieges and haven't crashed once. Maybe you're talking about something else and I'm mistaking, or maybe it's not a universal problem?

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• xbellx777xbellx777 Member Posts: 716

FIX

THE 

SERVER

um i havent had one crash in two months. can you tell us what server you play on? maybe its your computer or your internet. cuz while i might get lag i never get ctd's

• rjp14rjp14 Member Posts: 16

It apparently happens with the FORTRESS seiges. But keep seiges have no problems and are running less slide show since the patch. Which is a great!!

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891

Destruction recently fully sacked Altdorf on Skull Throne and there were no crashes.  If your still crashing your either getting a CTD, your system sucks, or its like any other game..patches = (usually) temporary stability issues.

that sacking was 300+ destruction againsta bout 48 - 100 order since many from order (admited on WHA boards) didn't show up figuring it would just crash and cause the siege to reset.  Haha sucked to bethem when their city went down and they logged on the next day and had to Pay Taxes to Use the AH, pay taxes to Bank, and pay well extra fees just to train at the Refugee camps rofl :) Sucka's learned that losing your city is a real bitch.

• SyntalkasSyntalkas Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by xbellx777

FIX

THE 

SERVER

um i havent had one crash in two months. can you tell us what server you play on? maybe its your computer or your internet. cuz while i might get lag i never get ctd's

what the heck are you talking about? crash? ctd? you understand that you are the CLIENT, don't you? it doesn't matter if you run warhammer on a high end PC or on a potatoe, your answer is not relevant. Jpizzle talks about the SERVER stability, and he is right.

Originally posted by Stradden

FIX

THE 

SERVER

I've been in a number of keep sieges and haven't crashed once. Maybe you're talking about something else and I'm mistaking, or maybe it's not a universal problem?

Not Keeps. Fotresses.

I've been on 3 servers. It's happen on all of them. Drifting Castle, Averhiem and Ungrim. I'm one of the few in my guild willing to stick around while they fix it. And I'm only willing to stick around until the end of the year.

Originally posted by banthis

Destruction recently fully sacked Altdorf on Skull Throne and there were no crashes.  If your still crashing your either getting a CTD, your system sucks, or its like any other game..patches = (usually) temporary stability issues.

Well, lucky for you. It sure isn't eh majority of servers w/ no issues. Ungrim can't field 6 total WBs at the fortress (destro/order combined) w/out the server shitting out on us.

Originally posted by Stradden

FIX

THE 

SERVER

Not Keeps. Fotresses.

I've been on 3 servers. It's happen on all of them. Drifting Castle, Averhiem and Ungrim. I'm one of the few in my guild willing to stick around while they fix it. And I'm only willing to stick around until the end of the year.

ah ok well that sucks hopefully they can fix it before you leave. hey stradden are you order or destro on ironfist? im destro so i was just curios to what you were

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649

The big issue with these ORVR items is that it CALLS OUT FOR ONE SIDE FACTION SERVER !!!

Thus its no longer PVP !  Its 10000 against 1 .....  And you all know what faction is beeing played !

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Fortress sieges are prone to crashing -- not client crashes either.  So this is only affecting the T4 players. However, since this is the major focus of the game, it's a pretty critical topic. (keeps are fine -- just laggy)

Mythic has provided more incentive to be out in oRvR.  However, at T4 they need to *quickly* resolve the stability issues if they want this to be effective for the T4 players.  From what I saw last night, the new oRVR influence system was bringing out players in large numbers from both sides in T1 and T2 (didn't have time to check out T3 or T4).  Hopefully, it will keep bringing them out regularly.

I'm glad to see content and rewards being worked on but I think the technical folks need to step up to the plate and deliver. It seems like every patch delivers something about "increased stability and performance" but I haven't seen any increase in performance (and I'm well above the minimum spec).  Honestly, I don't have the time to do much with the T4 campaign so the fortress issues don't hit me as directly as the do the rest of my guild. But the issues are so aggravating that I'm not sure how many people will stay around if this doesn't get resolved quickly.  My limited playtime has reduced me to a more casual player so I can generally keep busy with the T1-3 stuff and only do T4 on the weekends.

• PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250

Well, lucky for you. It sure isn't eh majority of servers w/ no issues. Ungrim can't field 6 total WBs at the fortress (destro/order combined) w/out the server shitting out on us.

QFT!!! This happens on Ungrim constantly.

• FosheezyFosheezy Member Posts: 6

Yes stability would be a major improvment for sure.  Another thing i wish they had fixed was bright wizzards and Knights of the blazing sun.  Because on the Ironfist server those guys are still over powered.  So all the patching they did is still not enough to offset the imbalance from all the stat boosts they have.

• CropperCropper Member Posts: 198

I play on Badlands and I've personally never experienced a fortress siege that didn't have the zone crash at some point.  It's getting better, last time it was Destro's rush through the fortress door that did it as opposed to it happening before the first door was down and we did in fact finish the siege out after the restart.  It's getting better, but even the full on siege we saw from start to finish was in essence a slide show for all involved (this was a problem for everyone so it's not just my less than uber rig)

• UruktosUruktos Member Posts: 153

They need to delete the GOA from totality of existence fix GOA issues first.

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456

So much for this game being less gear dependant....... I mean that was supposed to be one of the boasts before release. What happens to the RvR lakes when people fill the Influence bars and get the gear they want? Then they'll go own everyone in the scenarios with their new "phat loot".

Originally posted by Cochran1

So much for this game being less gear dependant....... I mean that was supposed to be one of the boasts before release. What happens to the RvR lakes when people fill the Influence bars and get the gear they want? Then they'll go own everyone in the scenarios with their new "phat loot".

Not quite. It hardly owns anything. It's better, but it won't tip the scale.

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

The article doesn’t mention one another problem with oRvR compared to Scenarios.  Scenarios have more variety.   In each Tier you have different Scenarios with capture points or murderballs or other different mechanics. Also the terrain and scenery is different and distinct in each.

From what I’ve seen, keeps sieges all end up being the same. Stand in front of gate, attack gate, charge in and kill NPCs while opposing players try to stop you.   The keeps might look different but the layout is the same, just different number of gates.   Once inside the keep it’s the same - one bottom room, one stairway, one side door, one top room, same keep lord with same guards. 

There needs to be more variety of mechanics and layouts for each individual keep. You should feel like each keep is unique, not just a copy of every other one you’ve already seen with a different skin. There should be distinct mechanics for each keep - falling boulders, exploding armories or whatever.

Dungeon bosses each get their own unique personalities and need different tactics. Scenarios have their own unique personalities and need different tactics.   oRvR keeps don’t have any real personalities and attacking them always feels the same.    Giving Keep lords distinct mechanics doesn't help because those get lost in the zerg that streamrolls them once that gate is down.  It should be the keeps themselves that are made to be unique.  

I'd like to do more oRvR rather than Scenarios.   Better rewards will help but it already feels that after having done several keep sieges, it's all pretty much the same.   I have different Tactic abilities set up for based on which Scenarios I get into.   I have yet to see any need to use different tactics when attacking a keep.       Mythic should make attacking a new keep as unique as entering a new scenario.

• DeathTrippDeathTripp Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Alienovrlord

The article doesn’t mention one another problem with oRvR compared to Scenarios.  Scenarios have more variety.   In each Tier you have different Scenarios with capture points or murderballs or other different mechanics. Also the terrain and scenery is different and distinct in each.
    From what I’ve seen, keeps sieges all end up being the same. Stand in front of gate, attack gate, charge in and kill NPCs while opposing players try to stop you.   The keeps might look different but the layout is the same, just different number of gates.   Once inside the keep it’s the same - one bottom room, one stairway, one side door, one top room, same keep lord with same guards. 
    There needs to be more variety of mechanics and layouts for each individual keep. You should feel like each keep is unique, not just a copy of every other one you’ve already seen with a different skin. There should be distinct mechanics for each keep - falling boulders, exploding armories or whatever.
    Dungeon bosses each get their own unique personalities and need different tactics. Scenarios have their own unique personalities and need different tactics.   oRvR keeps don’t have any real personalities and attacking them always feels the same.    Giving Keep lords distinct mechanics doesn't help because those get lost in the zerg that streamrolls them once that gate is down.  It should be the keeps themselves that are made to be unique.  
    I'd like to do more oRvR rather than Scenarios.   Better rewards will help but it already feels that after having done several keep sieges, it's all pretty much the same.   I have different Tactic abilities set up for based on which Scenarios I get into.   I have yet to see any need to use different tactics when attacking a keep.       Mythic should make attacking a new keep as unique as entering a new scenario.

I agree with every fucking thing you just said. There needs to be some variety and special mechanics for each keep, just like there is for each scenario!!! Give us some falling boulders at the keep in bad lands, or maybe some exploding dwarf armories at a keep in kadrin valley!! Something so that each keep isn't the same shit! I haven't got to T4 to experience the stability issues , but mythic used to have HUGE battles in DAOC i'm talking hundreds vs hundreds, so they need to get that shit fixed quick.

-----------------------------
    Real as Reality Television!!!

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Ok, while I understand people getting frustrated about the fortresses crashing, they only crash when there are over 500 plus people in that small zone. That being said, do you really think that Mythic is just twiddling its thumbs hoping you won't think about the crashes? Give me a break and stop the griping, let the company work on this and practically have to invent new technological coding for their servers to handle this many frigging people. Even consoles can't handle this amount, not even the PS3 with that new M.A.G game coming, that still only supports 265 players in a zone at once.

• Bruticus_XIBruticus_XI Member Posts: 827
    Originally posted by Alienovrlord

While I agree with you, I can already see the counter-argument. People are going to flock to a particular Keep because 1) It's the "easiest", 2) It has the "coolest" effect, etc. That's why you're stuck grinding certain scenarios over others, because people like those the most. While I agree there needs to be some variety (the easiest thing Mythic can do is add destructible wall sections, or ladders...give melee some more purpose other than banging away at the door...siege towers?? There's alot of possibilities, they had them in DAoC...), I think you can't change things too much. People will just have to take Keeps because they're important to zone control, not because it's their favorite.

Good post though.

As for Mythic, I think this is a step in the right direction, and I heard him mention it's only one of the many changes coming for oRvR. I predict 1) More ways to take/defend a Keep, and 2) MORE INCENTIVE FOR DEFENDING STUFF! There HAS to be more motivation to the defend the Keep and the BO, and the Influence is just a start.

Originally posted by Fakamao

Originally posted by xbellx777

FIX

THE 

SERVER

what the heck are you talking about? crash? ctd? you understand that you are the CLIENT, don't you? it doesn't matter if you run warhammer on a high end PC or on a potatoe, your answer is not relevant. Jpizzle talks about the SERVER stability, and he is right.

keep your pants on little girl i now know what he was talking about since i re read it. my mistake it was in the morning when i read it and i read it wrong. still doesnt apply to me i really havent run into that issue yet at all. maybe better manners might get you futher in life rather than coming on here to bitch after getting off your shift at mcdonalds tho

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525
    Originally posted by Bruticus_XI

While I agree with you, I can already see the counter-argument. People are going to flock to a particular Keep because 1) It's the "easiest", 2) It has the "coolest" effect, etc. That's why you're stuck grinding certain scenarios over others, because people like those the most. While I agree there needs to be some variety (the easiest thing Mythic can do is add destructible wall sections, or ladders...give melee some more purpose other than banging away at the door...siege towers?? There's alot of possibilities, they had them in DAoC...), I think you can't change things too much. People will just have to take Keeps because they're important to zone control, not because it's their favorite.
    Good post though.
    As for Mythic, I think this is a step in the right direction, and I heard him mention it's only one of the many changes coming for oRvR. I predict 1) More ways to take/defend a Keep, and 2) MORE INCENTIVE FOR DEFENDING STUFF! There HAS to be more motivation to the defend the Keep and the BO, and the Influence is just a start.

Excellent point.  Mythic was able to rotate Scenario queues to direct players into every scenario even if some were more popular.  That can't be done with oRvR.    Or can it?

How about this - Have a unique monster/boss spawn around a random keep or BO in each Pairing -  A dragon flies down or a giant appears, or some kind of special programmed 'event' that occurs at the randomly selected keeps with (and this is CRTIICAL) a Tier-wide announcement.    

People will see that something special is happening at keep X and that will draw players.   You can have the mob/events occur simultaneously at keeps in different pairings in the same Tier to spread players out and give them a tactical choice about which they want to go to.    

This could at least add more variety and it might allow the unique keep designs if the mobs offer rewards to draw players to less 'popular' keeps when they randomly are selected.   Perhaps after killing the unique mob, players are given a buff that will increase their rewards if they *then* take the keep so players will try even less popular ones for the better rewards (and because they're already there).

Apart from the lack of variety, the problem with oRvR is that the game relies on players wandering around and finding each other.     Some way for the game to direct players into the same area (like we saw with the Halloween PQ) would help a great deal.