Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people believe Darkfall is FFA PvP?

PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

Because the way I read the design documents (who knows what really exists), it won't be.

- There apparently will be dire consequences for killing race partners or allies (unless your guild is at war, I would suppose).

- It appears Darkfall will have a map large enough to make many places essentially safe. And realm chat should be able to warn people about the occasional trains roaming in rear areas if they are concerned about it.

So for me, this is all good. Because I do enjoy doing other things in MMORPGs besides always watching my back. But I keep reading post after post here talking about how Darkfall will only attract the (small) hardcore PvP crowd, etc.. And I wonder why. I'm not a hardcore ganker, and I will still be taking a serious look at the game.

Comments

• fantarosfantaros Member Posts: 394

FFA means u are not restricted to pvp with any1. A game having safezones and consequences can still be FFA.

• SomniferousSomniferous Member Posts: 153
    Originally posted by fantaros

FFA means u are not restricted to pvp with any1. A game having safezones and consequences can still be FFA.

This is technically correct. It just means you can attack anyone, anywhere, at any time. Even if the consequences were so dire, like you lose all your skill levels, all your money, all your gear, so no one would ever risk it, that would still be FFA, because you COULD do it, if you wanted to.

What the real game play will be, no one knows. Some people are sayiing it will be exactly like Darktide server on AC. Is that true? I got no idea until they drop the NDA.

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Originally posted by Pynda

Because the way I read the design documents (who knows what really exists), it won't be.
    - There apparently will be dire consequences for killing race partners or allies (unless your guild is at war, I would suppose).
    - It appears Darkfall will have a map large enough to make many places essentially safe. And realm chat should be able to warn people about the occasional trains roaming in rear areas if they are concerned about it.
    So for me, this is all good. Because I do enjoy doing other things in MMORPGs besides always watching my back. But I keep reading post after post here talking about how Darkfall will only attract the (small) hardcore PvP crowd, etc.. And I wonder why. I'm not a hardcore ganker, and I will still be taking a serious look at the game.

Good thinking and i agree with you.

Darkfall will most likely cater for many different set of playstyles.

• Adam1902Adam1902 Member UncommonPosts: 537

Yes, definately.

There will be consequences for killing your own race, but that doesn't stop PKers from doing it. It is very possible to live as a PKer, I've done it in past games. But it's not the kind of thing I'd like to do throughout my entire time in the game, maybe do it for a week or so. It's hard to play like that, because you can't get into your races towns (clan towns though, remember!).

But yeah, say one day you're with your friends searching for a boss mob because you want [INSERT ITEM NAME HERE] - then their's already a group of assholes killing your boss! They have nice shiny gear too, and their health is pretty low. I'm sure you'd think about killing them, maybe you'll agree you won't though.

**Off-Topic, skip if you're lazy**

Also remember, that even though other races NPCs hate you- nothing is stopping you from playing with someone from another race. You can chat, party, and form a guild with any race you like. And clans set their town guards however they want, so you can have a multi-race clan town, too. Remember to be careful partying with members of the enemy race who you don't know / trust properly, they could be leading you into their friends to kick your ass and take your loot.

**Back On-Topic**

And about warning people about gankers in the local shout channel, ofcourse! What did you think it'd be like? Dump you in an Unreal Tournament style map (just a bit larger) and everyone fight to the death in a big FFA fest? Sure, there will be times in-game where situations get out of hand, and stuff like this will happen, though...

But yeah, you are absolutely correct about what you said in your post. Good point there, and good info to newbies thinking it will just be some kind of "gankfest".

EDIT: Oh, but your thread title is sort-of incorrect though. This game is infact classed as FFA PvP, because there's no restrictions. Anything is possible.

_________
    Currently playing: Black Desert Korea (Waiting for EU)

Always hating on instances in MMOs! Open worlds, open PvP, territory control and housing please. More persistence, more fun.

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

As long as there are consequences for you killing others im extatic!  Much like real life, there are more than a few people alive today cause of consequences.

I guess we will have to see, but i bet there will be a decent deterrent to just killing every person you see.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

Originally posted by adderVXI

As long as there are consequences for you killing others im extatic!  Much like real life, there are more than a few people alive today cause of consequences.
    I guess we will have to see, but i bet there will be a decent deterrent to just killing every person you see.

Unless they're a member of the enemy race.

_________

Always hating on instances in MMOs! Open worlds, open PvP, territory control and housing please. More persistence, more fun.

• SoundbyteSoundbyte Member Posts: 109

You are very right. There will of course be *some* people who choose to kill their own race but for the most part, the alignment penalty will mean that *most* people will go kill enemy faction races rather than their own race.

I see Darkfall as playing out more like an RvR game for the most part. Even playing as Alfar, you will probably reap the most benefits by not killing Alfar.

The other big misconception is that Darkfall will be griefer-friendly, when in fact it will be the opposite. in WOW for example, you can mob-steal, corpse-camp, and grief lowbies, whereas in Darkfall you can kill a guy who tries to loot your mobs, you can't be corpse-camped cause you're ported back to your bindstone on death, and there are no levels, so no lowbies, and even the newbies in Darkfall are capable of beating veterans.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

FFA PvP - Free For All Player Versus Player.

DarkFall is indeed without a doubt FFA PvP. There may be consequence's involved if I attack you, but there is no fail safe mechanic saying I outright can't. The option to attack anyone, anywhere at anytime is present. There aren't safe zones where people can hide that make them invalid targets. They may run into a town, but I still have the option of attacking them, there are no true safe zones that dissallow PvP.

As far as why people claim DarkFall will only attract the small hardcore PvP crowd..... well in honest, with full loot and FFA PvP many no PvP oriented people will be turned off. This isn't an opinion it is a fact. A sad one because those people do not realise what this does for the game economy and the community as a whole. They only see how it may potentialy effect there toon. Without full loot and item degradation the in game economy would grow stale and stagnent fast like it has in every other MMO. Full loot also works well with the logical loot system. If Player A gets killed and looted by a Gob and player B happens to come apon the same Gob later and kills and loots it, player B gets everything in the Gobs pack. This includes the armor it used, weapons, any food or potions, any ammunition, any reagents, ect ect ect but you also get what ever it looted from Player A and any other Players it has killed and looted because NPC's are limited to the same rules we are. If they don't have it on them they can't use it, and if they have it on them it is lootable.

On Part, it stems from a lot of closed mindedness from others. They hear only Gankfest when you describe the game. Talk about how deep the crafting system is and they just hear DarkFall has FFA PvP and full loot. Talk about the AI and how gobs have actualy been Kiting players around while other gobs pelt them with arrows and even switch up tactics when needed, and all they hear is DarkFall has FFA PvP and full loot. Talk about just about anything and many seem to close up suck there thumb and say DarkFall has FFA PvP and full loot.

The truth is DarkFall is about a lot more than just FFA PvP and full loot but thats all most people hear.

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459
    Originally posted by Adam1902

Or if they attack you first, if they are an ally or of your race.

Originally posted by xzyax

Originally posted by Adam1902

Or if they attack you first, if they are an ally or of your race.

lol Friendly fire is going to make that one a bit fun lol.  You accidently AoE and nail a bunch of your faction members.......... suddenly your running from an angry mod lol.  Gonna be fun to see that happen every now and then lol.

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    Originally posted by Soundbyte

I see Darkfall as playing out more like an RvR game for the most part. Even playing as Alfar, you will probably reap the most benefits by not killing Alfar.

This is how I see Darkfall too. Sure you can kill your teammates, but why would you?

It`s not for the loot, because they`ll have more than enough enemies from the other races. If someone wants easy pray, they can kill the new players from the other faction, and get good alligment at the same time.

A noto PK will have to fight three factions and have no real safespot. Sure it can be fun to be a noto Pk, and I really hope some take that path.

But Darkfall will be RvR at the bigger part of the game, and that`s how it`s suppose to be.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

I think we can sum it up into this: You can, but you dont have to.

Some people think that just because there is a feature, they need to use it all the time. You dont have to attack everything all the time....just because there is  FFAPvP!

The other big misconception is that Darkfall will be griefer-friendly, when in fact it will be the opposite. in WOW for example, you can mob-steal, corpse-camp, and grief lowbies, whereas in Darkfall you can kill a guy who tries to loot your mobs, you can't be corpse-camped cause you're ported back to your bindstone on death, and there are no levels, so no lowbies, and even the newbies in Darkfall are capable of beating veterans.

I don't think we really know how it works exactly until the NDA is lifted. Might work out like that, might not.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

I can promise you that first few weeks will be absolutely FFA, on first day I'll hit anything that moves and laugh like a maniac the whole time!

The main continent of Agon is like a pie and every race has its own slice in it, at the centre it will be very much RvR, but inside every slice it's about guilds. That's the way I've always pictured it.

Originally posted by Hotjazz

This is how I see Darkfall too. Sure you can kill your teammates, but why would you?

For the lulz of course.

You'd want to kill people on your own race if they're being assholes ofcourse. No more eliteists running around thinking they're great, I'll smash their shitty little faces in.

You'd also want to do it now and then if you're with friends or  a party, and their's another party in the process of killing that boss you're after which takes [INSERT TIME HERE] to spawn. Get their loots, and the boss kill.

_________

• BulletLocoBulletLoco Member Posts: 16

Um, because it is FFA PvP.

Having consequenses for pking, no matter how dire, dosent change that.  You can attack anyone, anytime.  Thats FFA.  Also they have stated there are NO safezones. No safety cities where you get peace. Zero.

Why waste the forums time with this crap.

Read the documents again and this time read with your eyes open.

• TheDorTheDor Member UncommonPosts: 84

One thing people seem to be mistaking is the idea of safe zones. There are no safe zones. There are the starting regions which will have NPC guards, but it has been stated by the devs that if you get a large enough army you can raid the starter city (there just won't be hardly any reward for doing so, and lots of people will die in the process).

Similarly, the guards do not instantly kill you, if you're familiar with EVE there is a common play style called "suicide ganking." Basically nowhere is safe, you can be killed anywhere, but there are consequences to your killer.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

There are like 10 people on the planet that really want to play an FFA-PvP game.  Hopefully this is the last game that has to fail miserably before developers realize that.

Originally posted by Salvatoris

There are like 10 people on the planet that really want to play an FFA-PvP game.  Hopefully this is the last game that has to fail miserably before developers realize that.

lol, I would say this is about as off mark as you can get lol. EvE has 250kish subs and its FFA PvP LOL. Wasn't Lineage 2 FFA PvP? LOL and didn't they have 1mil subs LOL.

Care to try again?

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

lol, I would say this is about as off mark as you can get lol. EvE has 250kish subs and its FFA PvP LOL. Wasn't Lineage 2 FFA PvP? LOL and didn't they have 1mil subs LOL.

Care to try again?

Stop confusing him with facts!

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

You have a point... I should have said, 10 people in the Western hemisphere want to play a FFA-PvP game.   Regardless, this game will still fail miserably.  I expect it to do about as well as DnL did.  It should make TR look like a huge hit in comparison.

You have a point... I should have said, 10 people in the Western hemisphere want to play a FFA-PvP game.   Regardless, this game will still fail miserably.  I expect it to do about as well as DnL did.  It should make TR look like a huge hit in comparison.

AH, so those 100k-200k playing UO from the Western Hemisphere for 4 years while FFA PvP was still going is <10 as well. I mean..... wow you got me there bud.

• mylin1mylin1 Member UncommonPosts: 138

Why do people believe Darkfall is X

because so far its all smoke and pipe dreams so poeple are free to dream whatever they want :)

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

AH, so those 100k-200k playing UO from the Western Hemisphere for 4 years while FFA PvP was still going is <10 as well. I mean..... wow you got me there bud.

Let it go, he's a waaghboi. You know, one of those who enjoy a failure.