Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions for the RoM Devs!

RJCoxRJCox Member Posts: 2,686

We wanted to do a continuation of today's Dev Chat so I figured I'd gather up some community questions to send their way. So, post your questions here and I'll go through em and send off a bunch to the fine folks behind Runes of Magic and see what we can learn!

Richard J. Cox
"There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."

Comments

• CryoCodeCryoCode Member UncommonPosts: 5

will guilds get capes, tabards or cloaks to show there guild symbol?

• vbathoryvbathory Member UncommonPosts: 4

I have a couple of questions.

Is there talent trees in rom if so can you explain how they work if not how can you improve your skills?

what kind of guild tools will there be ingame?will there be calendars so guild leaders can schedule raids,pvp etc in game?

• AsvaroxAsvarox Member Posts: 1

Are you going to support fansites and such? If so, how?

• LunarhoundLunarhound Member UncommonPosts: 17

Do you plan on improving the beginning of the game at all? I really like the "pioneer" storyline set-up, but right now, it doesn't amount to anything. You just get plopped into the world with no explanation.

How about a new tutorial that takes place on a ship, on its way to the continent, or at least making a port near the Pioneer Colony and placing players at the docks as if they've just arrived, instead of plunking them down outside the pioneer colony with no reasoning behind it.

For that matter, how about some sort of opening cut scene to explain things, and set the mood? These things would go a long way toward getting new players excited about starting their adventures.

• Kerensky_RoMKerensky_RoM Member Posts: 12

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't dropped by earlier - bit of a busy time for us. The Open Beta is coming closer and closer and we are preparing a few events and contests to go with that.

Now, I'd like to thank you for your questions and before I go answering the ones, I can answer right away, I would like to apologise if not everything I write makes 100% sense. Although I have been studying English and have (as some might know) lived in the UK for a couple of years, I am far from perfect and might not always hit what I want to say spot-on. So please let me know if I don't make sense. :)

Let me start with some kind of good, old-fashioned apology...

I know that many of my answers to your questions might sound a bit... thin and are not quite what people want to hear. I would really love to give you more concrete information, but there is a good reason I can't: Runes of Magic is still in the making - and we still take our community's feedback into consideration. In our case "Open Beta" is not simply a marketing stunt to hype the game, it's a statement that there a still rough edges and features that are being worked on.

We are commited to making a game that appeals to the western players in terms of depths, gameplay, features and story and so we are really looking forward hearing your feedback.

And here is what I can tell you so far.

CryoCode: At the moment it is already possible for guilds to chose a symbol. With the introduction of the guild houses we will depict these symbols on the houses. We don't show guild symbols on the capes as yet but from what I have heard so far, there will be more places where guilds can fly their colours.

Vbathory: Runes of Magic doesn't feature skill trees. When advancing in level, players unlock their characters' skill one by one.

Guild tools are not yet fully implemented - they are being worked on but we don't expect to have them ready when the open beta starts in early December. The mentioned calendar feature is on the to-do-list.

Asvarox: Fansites are an important pillar of our community (guess you heard that before :) ) and we are already working with a number of fan sites across Europe. When RoM goes into open beta we can and we will intensify our cooperation and will run events, competitions, give-aways and much more with our fansite partners.

If any of you are running a fansite, please drop me a PM and let me know so I can get in touch with you. :)

Lunarhound: A good idea, which I will gladly pass on to the developers. At the moment Runewaker and we are focussing on improving overall gameplay, balancing and adding continously more content (more quests across all level ranges, raid dungeons and instances, and more features in general) to the game. Some might have already heard that Runewaker is working on new races and classes...

Thanks a lot - I'll drop by much more often now.

Kerensky

Jörg "Kerensky" Koonen
    Community Manager Runes of Magic

• mmorpgamesmmorpgames Member Posts: 26

Hi! is World of Warcraft the same as Runes of Magic? What are the differences? because from what i see is that RoM looks like WoW? correct me if im wrong...

Will it take long to level up? Will quests be needing groups to complete a quest? Is there a storyline to the Game?

Are the maps huge? Yes i know i should download the game but the game file is alot! so i won't want to waste my time downloading a game that isn't going to be good..

i just read the FAQ lol...well can you just answer the first question?

Originally posted by mmorpgames

Hi! is World of Warcraft the same as Runes of Magic? What are the differences? because from what i see is that RoM looks like WoW? correct me if im wrong...

Will it take long to level up? Will quests be needing groups to complete a quest? Is there a storyline to the Game?

Are the maps huge? Yes i know i should download the game but the game file is alot! so i won't want to waste my time downloading a game that isn't going to be good..

i just read the FAQ lol...well can you just answer the first question?

On your first question: Runes of Magic is a game of its own. :) Runewaker took a lot of good ideas from other successful games but they didn't simply "rip off" but used the inspiration and refined the ideas.

The general idea was to have a game that runs on as many rigs as possible so the system specs are relatively low. On my provisional office machine (AMD 3800+ (single core) w/ GeForce 7500) I can run it without issues - it doesn't look as pretty as on my colleague's machine, but I can play the game well enough. (I hope the high-end box will arrive this side of christmas :) )

We have group quests and solo quests - e.g. instances are designed for full groups - while there are plenty of quests for solo players.

A storyline? Of course. :)

The maps are quite big - comparable to any full-sized MMORPG I know. I can't tell you if you like it or if you might think "it's any good" - but I assume that if you like Fantasy MMORPGs, you will find Runes of Magic measuring up to your standard. :)

Jörg "Kerensky" Koonen

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

I'd like to know if the patching process will ever be friendlier to those with slower connections? Or even just friendlier to people who can't let something download for 10 hours in a row uninterupted. (Right now I'm not speed capped by my ISP and patching is still insanely slow to download)

I want to try the closed beta (have a key and all), but can't patch it, because I can't do it in one sitting and it seems to start over at the begining every time. Most other MMORPGs I've played will update one file at a time, so if you stop, it merely continues at the last file.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

Originally posted by trancejeremy

I'd like to know if the patching process will ever be friendlier to those with slower connections? Or even just friendlier to people who can't let something download for 10 hours in a row uninterupted. (Right now I'm not speed capped by my ISP and patching is still insanely slow to download)
    I want to try the closed beta (have a key and all), but can't patch it, because I can't do it in one sitting and it seems to start over at the begining every time. Most other MMORPGs I've played will update one file at a time, so if you stop, it merely continues at the last file.

We are working on tools that make downloading the initial game much simpler than it is now. But patching will always be an issue for some - which is - partially - attributed to the fact that there is a huge number of systems between our servers and our users home PC.

But from time to time we have to get huge amounts of content to our users somehow. A resume-option for the patch-download is - in my opinion, too - an important feature. And although I am not aware if the patcher is high on any priority list but I am happy to pass that information on to our team.

Thanks!

Jörg "Kerensky" Koonen

• HannahMontanHannahMontan Member Posts: 12

How many servers will there be for Open Beta?

Is it ok to download the Cilent and wait till open beta starts and just click on the game..Will that still work?? And the RoM cilent download takes forever!! 19hours to complete....10hours passed and it was 30% and 14hours to complete! I really don't get it...i passed the system requirements and i have a good internet connection? Can you make the file faster to download or something? I ''REALLY'' want to play RoM...even if i have to wait for 3-full-straight days to download it....but that would make my bills high lol...So i was wondering if you can solve my problem PLEASE?

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

I had to use a torrent to download it myself (took about a week). Then sadly I found out I just couldn't patch it, since it starts over every time.

I really don't know why companies spend so much on developing games (or even localizing), only to make them extremely difficult to download. Just about every free MMORPG is like that, they rely on dodgy file service places that spam you and don't offer resume. Never had a patcher this bad though.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

I finally fixed the problem! just had to click on a ''Other'' link to download on gamershell.com then all of a sudden 200+kbp and downloaded the game in 3hours ! Anyways try Defragging your computer. Use tuneups uitilies 09.You can get a free trail for 30days. I hope this fixed your problem.

Originally posted by HannahMontan

How many servers will there be for Open Beta?

For the start we will have six servers ready - 2 English PvE, 1 English PvP, and the same for German.

We have additional servers on stand-by and can add more on short notice - the reasoning is that we don't want to fragment the playerbase across too many servers too early. Our hardware is exceptionally high-spec and - as the stresstest has proven - can cope with much more higher player number than we initially expected.

Downloading: We expect that we have a new, more recent client ready for the OB launch. So we strongly suggest that you check our site for an updated list of DL mirrors.

Thanks a lot!

Jörg "Kerensky" Koonen

May you please explain what the differences of the server ''PvP'' and ''PvE''?

• TwisterSoulTwisterSoul Member Posts: 2

PvP is Player vs. Player, so more battleish type servers

PvE is Player vs. Environment so more kill monsters and stuff and lvl

(if im not mistaken, correct me if im wrong, just dont bash me)

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow" - James Dean

So which one would you suggested for me?

I like questing/killing creatures/storymode and lots more if you know what i mean...and i also like to pvp.

Whats the most popular server?

can pve have pvp as well?

• TwisterSoulTwisterSoul Member Posts: 2

Im just like you, I like killing creatures and stuff, and also like some PVP, I usually go for the PVE Servers. But its all up to you. And i havent played in the CB, so i dont which server is which.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow" - James Dean

I like questing/killing creatures/storymode and lots more if you know what i mean...and i also like to pvp.

Our PvP server allows free-for-all open PvP. Starting at Lv. 15 you can flag yourself "PK" and start fighting other players. Of course apart from this tiny little difference, everything else is identical. It's just a bit more difficult at times because you don't have to worry about getting aggro'd by monster alone. ;D

In your case I'd suggest you'll join the PvE server which, I think, is the most popular server (don't tell the PvP players, I said that - their opinion usually differs. :) )

Jörg "Kerensky" Koonen

Originally posted by Kerensky_RoM

Our PvP server allows free-for-all open PvP. Starting at Lv. 15 you can flag yourself "PK" and start fighting other players. Of course apart from this tiny little difference, everything else is identical. It's just a bit more difficult at times because you don't have to worry about getting aggro'd by monster alone. ;D

In your case I'd suggest you'll join the PvE server which, I think, is the most popular server (don't tell the PvP players, I said that - their opinion usually differs. :) )

haha! More questions...Will you be able to walk? If so..what is the key to walk?

Will you be a in-game player?

What level can you ride the mounts?

*I really think this will happen* Will there be any gold/ad spammers?

Will the game be ''IMPOSSIBLE'' to be able to cheat?? because i really hate people who cheat!

Are you allowed to sleep or anything like that in your ''house''?

How does every class get a pet?(ask a trainer? tame one?)

Will there be flying mounts? (travel by air)? And will there be boats?(travel by sea?)

Will there be mini games such as fishing?

Will there be like Inns?

Can you still ''PK'' in PvE?

Can you Swim in the game?(lakes)

Will there be role-playing senes?

Will Runes of Magic celebrate ''Every'' holidays?

If there will be more races like elfs or anything like that..wouldn't that change the storyline?

Can you become a CM in Runes of Magic?

Well thats all for now..hehe!

Oh and i almost forgot...Will there be games like capture the flag?

! More questions...Will you be able to walk? If so..what is the key to walk?

Will you be a in-game player?

What level can you ride the mounts?

*I really think this will happen* Will there be any gold/ad spammers?

Will the game be ''IMPOSSIBLE'' to be able to cheat?? because i really hate people who cheat!

Are you allowed to sleep or anything like that in your ''house''?

How does every class get a pet?(ask a trainer? tame one?)

Will there be flying mounts? (travel by air)? And will there be boats?(travel by sea?)

Will there be mini games such as fishing?

Will there be like Inns?

Can you still ''PK'' in PvE?

Can you Swim in the game?(lakes)

Will there be role-playing senes?

Will Runes of Magic celebrate ''Every'' holidays?

If there will be more races like elfs or anything like that..wouldn't that change the storyline?

Can you become a CM in Runes of Magic?

Well thats all for now..hehe!

Oh and i almost forgot...Will there be games like capture the flag?

1) You can walk - the key can be reassigned in the options menu.

2) Yes, I am. But I'm not gonna tell you which server I'm on or the name of my char. :)

3) Mounts are available for all players on all levels.

4) I guess they will try, but we don't encourage them. On the contrary: we will do whatever we can to keep them out.

5) Again: We will do whatever we can to discourage cheaters and exploiters. When we catch them, their accounts are gone in an instant.

6) We are working on a system that encourages you to stay at home when you're logged out. More on that when it's ready to be released.

7) Either find a drop or buy one in the item shop. As of yet there are no pet classes or pets that do anything but look nice. :)

8) Flying mounts are an option we're looking into. Boats? The size of the water bodies at the moment is so small that it would not justify travel by boat.

9) Mini games - that's a possible addition for the future.

10) Inns and Taverns are a much requested feature that we are considering of implementing at some point.

11) When players are flagged "PK" they can bash each others' heads in - if you're not flagged, you're safe.

12) Yes. You neither walk on water or across the ground of a lake. There will even be additional features... :)

13) Role-Playing scenes?! It's up to the players to use whatever element in the game they want as setting for roleplaying. We haven't yet made any additional provisions for RP gamers but we are happy to hear more on that topic.

14) "Every holiday"? That depends on what "every holiday" means. :)

15) Additional races have always been planned and their background stories will fit in nicely with that of the "original" game.

16) CM? Community Manager? Sorry, that position is already taken. ;) - All GMs are officially employed by Frogster. You can, however become a "Mentor" - voluntary helpers guiding new players through the game, supporting us on the boards etc.

17) Yes. :)

You have already checked out the game yourself, I assume? If you haven't, check it out:

RoM US - Rom EU - just register on the site, download the client and give it a ride.

Jörg "Kerensky" Koonen

• infrared1infrared1 Member UncommonPosts: 440

How much are you guys willing to listen to the players for tweeks to the game? I hav only played for a couple hours carefully testing every aspect of every conponent. One small thing that really bugs me is the combat animations, they seema little too slow. Could you speed them up just a tad?They almost look like they are in slow motion ATM. I will continue to test this game out and give a complete review when I am done.

We're always happy to hear your opinions - we can't always fullfill all wishes or make all the changes players are asking for (especially if these wishes would break the game :) ) but we take everything into consideration.

Jörg "Kerensky" Koonen

• infrared1infrared1 Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by Kerensky_RoM

We're always happy to hear your opinions - we can't always fullfill all wishes or make all the changes players are asking for (especially if these wishes would break the game :) ) but we take everything into consideration.

well if you are listening, then please check out this thread.

www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/351/view/forums/post/2525076#2525076

After doing some research I was very disappointed with crafting myself. I hadnt done much cyz of trying to test other aspects. I checked this out and i have to agree that crafting is horribly flawed and unbalanced. There is no point to it what so ever. From what i can see so far you put crafting in the game, WHY? You wasted your time building a system into the game that sadly i dont see anyone useing. If you plan on keeping it even remotely like this, you might as well remove it from the game. Its not fun at all and there is no sense of accomplishment.So why do it.

• slighter22slighter22 Member Posts: 1

I'm currently trying the game...and for the moment i'm very impressed though i didn't even try crafting, I think that the other game features are very fun and somehow "different" from other mmo's i tried...I only have a request, are you thinking of making the game run also in 16-bit mode?...since im playing on a laptop with vista im having quite poor performances and i can't really enjoy the game, when i played other games as Shaiya or Rohan running the game in 16-bit instead of 32-bit really helped the frame rate go up^^...hope in a positive response.