Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Private servers just got owned.

PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Who wants to play on private servers anyway.

But this is a good laugh nonetheless.

• korvixkorvix Member Posts: 477

Soooo, one hosting company is asked to stop hosting private servers for WoW....so what? (this happens frequently for all private servers)

And how does that constitute "Private servers just got owned"? You realize there is more than ONE COMPANY you rent a server from? You also realize you could run one out of your own home right?

Anyone dumb enough to run a private server for any game out of US (or any country that gives a shit about copy rights) deserves to get shut down.

srsly

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

LOL I have just emailed Christian and told him to tell Blizzard to sort the frigging gold spammers out if they want to make a difference. Because they never respond to emails about these complaints.

Asbo

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Originally posted by korvix
    Soooo, one hosting company is asked to stop hosting private servers for WoW....so what? (this happens frequently for all private servers)
    And how does that constitute "Private servers just got owned"? You realize there is more than ONE COMPANY you rent a server from? You also realize you could run one out of your own home right?
    Anyone dumb enough to run a private server for any game out of US (or any country that gives a shit about copy rights) deserves to get shut down.
    srsly

I think that the overall point of the thread was that this letter does not 'ask nicely' for them to look into the matter, this letter basically says "sort it now or we will take you down!". It then goes on to say that they not only want the servers shut down and ensure that no further servers are opened, they also want the full details of every person that has opened a private server so the legal attention can be diverted at them.

It is a big move because it sends out the message to the private server community that Activision Blizzard/Vivendi will no longer tolerate these actions and if it means beating people with the legal baseball bat then so be it.

So now the choice is pretty simple from a business perspective, do you take notice as a provider and start shutting down private server users or do you risk having your whole business shut down for the sake of several users??

Then you have the choice faced by the people that are setting up these servers, do you run like hell and try and cover your tracks or do you try and continue and face personal financial ruin? I mean if Vivendi decide to sue you for the lost revenue of every person that has used your server, a couple of paychecks aint gonna cover it now, is it.

It isn't about one provider, it is about sending out the message and that has been done loud and clear.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• sushimeessushimees Member Posts: 489
    Originally posted by jason_webb

Originally posted by korvix

srsly

I think that the overall point of the thread was that this letter does not 'ask nicely' for them to look into the matter, this letter basically says "sort it now or we will take you down!". It then goes on to say that they not only want the servers shut down and ensure that no further servers are opened, they also want the full details of every person that has opened a private server so the legal attention can be diverted at them.

It is a big move because it sends out the message to the private server community that Activision Blizzard/Vivendi will no longer tolerate these actions and if it means beating people with the legal baseball bat then so be it.

So now the choice is pretty simple from a business perspective, do you take notice as a provider and start shutting down private server users or do you risk having your whole business shut down for the sake of several users??

Then you have the choice faced by the people that are setting up these servers, do you run like hell and try and cover your tracks or do you try and continue and face personal financial ruin? I mean if Vivendi decide to sue you for the lost revenue of every person that has used your server, a couple of paychecks aint gonna cover it now, is it.

It isn't about one provider, it is about sending out the message and that has been done loud and clear.

It may be possible that the company renting the servers has a policy that they have no liability to check their customers servers and that it is at customer's own risk to host illegal servers.

If their policy has accepted by the government then Blizzard cannot do anything to them. Their company may support them by giving out the names but they have no obligation to take down the servers.

• FunkwichFunkwich Member Posts: 7

This is a serious issue and has nothing to do with individual private servers being targeted. Blizzard is abusing the DMCA and setting a precidence for EULA's being legally enforcable instead of merely in game. The worst part is that none of the private servers could ever afford to fight this gross misuse of the DMCA.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

I understand every bussines want to make money. I know they are here to do that, but with 12 million customers they have enought, damn, what a greedy people.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Its not about the 12 million or being greedy, its about stopping it from escalating, if they let private servers being created, they are just pretty much saying "its ok to use our software illegally" and god knows where this would lead to, in no time you had people "selling" content in private servers much like what happened in Lineage 2, where one server had more than 1 million registered users and a revenue equivalent to 56% of NCSoft's NA L2 market.

• rwnemisisrwnemisis Member Posts: 28

Honestly, ok fine they are taking action against private servers but i do have to agree about the gold spammer remark, how about fix that problem first because they are getting rediculous in game and it gets annoying having to /ignor 30 different people a day lol

imageimage

Originally posted by sushimees
    It may be possible that the company renting the servers has a policy that they have no liability to check their customers servers and that it is at customer's own risk to host illegal servers.
    If their policy has accepted by the government then Blizzard cannot do anything to them. Their company may support them by giving out the names but they have no obligation to take down the servers.

I of course stand to be corrected, but i was under the impression that this was sorted out in law a long time ago and it is the reason why ISP's have to be very careful about the sites they host too. Basically, if you own the server then you are the one responsible for the content on it and although i am sure this was tested in court a long time ago i cannot quote where. What it is there to do is to stop people from placing illegal content on a server and then claiming "someone else did it" as a defense.

And Funkwich, you have to remember that there are also a lot of people producing online games out there that cannot afford to protect themselves against people that would steal and use their intellectual property. Although i won't go as far as to say that Blizzard are "protecting the little guy", any victory against this kind of 'theft' and piracy is good for the whole industry.

Can i just sideline and say that we do need to remember that this is in effect theft and the people running these servers are taking someone elses work (big corp or not) and using it for their own ends. Let's also not forget that for every one of these servers that is set up out of the goodness of someone's heart to allow people to play for free, there are another 10, 20, whatever amount out there for their own gain. That may be in the form of infecting your machine with a keylogger or stealing information about your own wow details or worse. Generally people do not do things of this scale just for the hell of it, 9 times out of 10 there will be something in it for them.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

People know they shouldn't be making these types of servers, they are illegal they shouldn't be surprised when they get shutdown, it isn't greed its protection of property if anything.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138
    Originally posted by sushimees

That doesn't protect them from abiding by what Blizzard has asked for, giving them the names/addresses in question.  Then Blizzard goes straight to the source of the problem.  The law is pretty clear, it's not enough to simply stand back and say, "But I'm not doing anything wrong."  If you are allowing or helping people do something illegal, you can be forced to stop it whether or not you are doing anything illegal yourself.

• uniushiuniushi Member Posts: 4

belive it or not , i don't care if people know my name

im nto giving out the details of how many people ive had on any of the private server ive ever made used or created in any order

and im a horrible speller

i make them for fun

i don't ask for donations

and i don't sell ingame items / money /right"@-#-$"; comands

i don't ask for mney for people too be my GM's

and on top of all that

I DO ASK FOR SOMETHING

i ask for my people

on MY server

too have fun

without being constantly bothered by advertising bot

hackers

gold selling spammers

or general a$$h0I3Z

i make the envirment clean

and i do not put virus's in clients

i make them so i can plainly see how people who enjoy my server compared too the idiots the realy own the game

and 9/10 times the servers i make have

#1 LESS LAGG

#2 LESS IDIOTS/ ^

#3 ITS FREE

#4 NO VIRUS 10/10

#5 ITS THE SAME GOD DANG GAME NOTHIGN HAS CHANGED 

you know what the best part is

i agree with you

shuting down servers would help too generaly industry this is why i don't host them anymore

but do you know the general reason people make them?

BECUASE THEY BOARD

MAD

HAT E THE GREEDY OWNERS

if your going to make 15 exspantions DO ASK the users too buy them all how much is that

ima round it off

lets say 20$ per XS xspantion set

and you make 15

and the game it self cost 60 in the very begining

hmm thats 360$ for a single game

and none of the sh*t you get in those XS give you the ability to get father they do the exsact oposite they make the game longer and make you even more of a nub

people dont want to always continue spnding 100$'s of $ on a game they want to pay for it once a month or play a game that does not have hackers or has a good GM team that REALY BANS THEM

and i don't mean just a temp ban

i mean AUTO BAN PERM foreven

name banning

mine is joshua arbuckle

theyd have to ban joshua arbuckle

my address

my phone number

my IP

and lastly my comp ID

it would cost more to go around these things then it would to just pay for the game

but do they stop the hackers no

becuase to them

this is a reason and on goignreason to say

o were doing the best we can

when we honestly know for a fact that if they wanted to stop this crap

they could but then theyd have nothign to do

ill pay 10 20 or even 30 a month for a REALY good mmo game that isnt boaing

but when you ahve add bots and hackers

site spammers

and crap that gets too you on a dayly basis you turn to private server

why?

becuase the normal EXP rate s a bit higher for the low rates

maing it a BIT easyer to get allt he stuff you left behind back

and there are NO AD SPAMMERS

no HACKERs

no PRICKS

and no LAGG

4 of the main reasons people quit are solve by moving

• thegeomanthegeoman Member Posts: 32

With multiple projects going on to develop sever emulation for WoW, it is pretty hard to get this cat back into the bag. 

I think that the only ones that should be really concerned are the private servers that accept money. These 'donations' are people making money from their servers, which I think would be a primary target for Blizzard's legal team. A few select servers (I won't name them here) have thousands of members, some of whom are paying for items on those servers.

Joe Schmo running an emulator on his computer so he and he alone can screw around and do whatever he wants in the game, has little to worry about, imo.

Originally posted by uniushi
    im nto giving out the details of how many people ive had on any of the private server ive ever made used or created in any order

You won't have to give out any details if someone else hosts your servers for you as they will do that on your behalf.

Whichever way you like to sugar coat it you are stealing someones property for your own ends and that is illegal, which would in turn make you a criminal? You may see yourself as some sort of romantic Robin Hood figure, taking from the large nasty profit making corporation and giving to those poor people who cannot afford to pay their subs or get hassled by those nasty gold sellers, but in reality something like this is in the books alongside tax evasion, drug dealing, money laundering etc...criminal offences!

Look, i can't say that i am some sort of squeeky clean saint, but anyone trying to justify why they are stealing someone elses property is just blowing hot air.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

Originally posted by thegeoman

some of whom are paying for items on those servers.

paying for items in a official server is stupid on a private server is just retarded

BestSigEver :P

• KroganKrogan Member UncommonPosts: 304

I'd suspect that all the owners of these servers will end up having to pay 4 years worth of subs for an entire server to blizzard as damages.

And this is just one server provider but blizzard is going after all of them hard. If you own a private server expect to pay a few million to Blizzard.

Originally posted by Krogan

I'd suspect that all the owners of these servers will end up having to pay 4 years worth of subs for an entire server to blizzard as damages.
    And this is just one server provider but blizzard is going after all of them hard. If you own a private server expect to pay a few million to Blizzard.

I am skeptical that any private server has millions. I can see them making thousands, but no more than this.

Originally posted by cosy

some of whom are paying for items on those servers.

paying for items in a official server is stupid on a private server is just retarded

But it is based on the same principle. If you're not paying for a monthly sub, they have to get money from somewhere to keep the servers running. It is like running a cash shop in one of the myriad free mmos out there.

I agree, though, it doesn't seem bright to spend money on a private server. You must really have some cash burning a hole in your pocket to spend what some people apparently spend on them.

Originally posted by Krogan I'd suspect that all the owners of these servers will end up having to pay 4 years worth of subs for an entire server to blizzard as damages.

I am skeptical that any private server has millions. I can see them making thousands, but no more than this.

You are right, some may have nothing at all, but that doesn't stop Blizzard from asking for the lost revenue from the private server founders. Of course the biggest problem with going down that road is that they would have to prove that the users of the private servers would have actually paid a sub if the private servers were not available, which is gonna be pretty damned difficult to prove. It will be much easier to claim damages for breach of copyright and theft of intellectual property from the guys that set up the private servers.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

I've had more fun on private servers than i ever did on the live game. but even as a f2p game wow is still bad.

My blog: image

• A_N_T_IA_N_T_I Member Posts: 159

In all fairness, it's not stealing. I mean: NO; I wouldn't steal a car, but I would sure copy it if I could. Though, I still agree that setting up big, private servers might hurt the industry. 

Hello there, adventurer!

Originally posted by A_N_T_I
     In all fairness, it's not stealing. I mean: NO; I wouldn't steal a car, but I would sure copy it if I could. Though, I still agree that setting up big, private servers might hurt the industry. 

In all fairness, it IS stealing!

It's like a thief telling the police that he just 'borrowed' the car he took, which ever way you colour it, it is stealing.

Did you code the game - NO

Did you come up with all of the original artwork and ideas - NO

Did you pay for the marketing and production - NO

So is it your property - NO

So with that in mind, knowing that it is not your property, at which point does it make it ok to take it or 'copy' it if you will?

Just because it is code on a machine it doesn't make it any less someone else's property that is being stolen. A grocer will keep his produce out in front of his store, it is in easy reach and not being watched over most of the time, but we don't steal that either do we because it is someone else's property and we know we have to pay for it if we want it.

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138
    Originally posted by A_N_T_I

If you could copy a car, it would be illegal to do it.

• thanos1313thanos1313 Member Posts: 183
    Originally posted by uniushi

and im a horrible speller
    i make them for fun
    i don't ask for donations
    and i don't sell ingame items / money /right"@-#-$"; comands
    i don't ask for mney for people too be my GM's
    and on top of all that
    I DO ASK FOR SOMETHING
    i ask for my people
    on MY server
    too have fun
    without being constantly bothered by advertising bot
    hackers
    gold selling spammers
    or general a$$h0I3Z
    i make the envirment clean
    and i do not put virus's in clients
    i make them so i can plainly see how people who enjoy my server compared too the idiots the realy own the game
    and 9/10 times the servers i make have
    #1 LESS LAGG
    #2 LESS IDIOTS/ ^
    #3 ITS FREE
    #4 NO VIRUS 10/10
    #5 ITS THE SAME GOD DANG GAME NOTHIGN HAS CHANGED 
    you know what the best part is
    i agree with you
    shuting down servers would help too generaly industry this is why i don't host them anymore
    but do you know the general reason people make them?
    BECUASE THEY BOARD
    MAD

HAT E THE GREEDY OWNERS
    if your going to make 15 exspantions DO ASK the users too buy them all how much is that
    ima round it off
    lets say 20$ per XS xspantion set
    and you make 15
    and the game it self cost 60 in the very begining
    hmm thats 360$ for a single game
    and none of the sh*t you get in those XS give you the ability to get father they do the exsact oposite they make the game longer and make you even more of a nub
    people dont want to always continue spnding 100$'s of $ on a game they want to pay for it once a month or play a game that does not have hackers or has a good GM team that REALY BANS THEM
    and i don't mean just a temp ban
    i mean AUTO BAN PERM foreven
    name banning
    mine is joshua arbuckle
    theyd have to ban joshua arbuckle
    my address
    my phone number
    my IP
    and lastly my comp ID
    it would cost more to go around these things then it would to just pay for the game
    but do they stop the hackers no
    becuase to them
    this is a reason and on goignreason to say
    o were doing the best we can
    when we honestly know for a fact that if they wanted to stop this crap
    they could but then theyd have nothign to do
    ill pay 10 20 or even 30 a month for a REALY good mmo game that isnt boaing
    but when you ahve add bots and hackers
    site spammers
    and crap that gets too you on a dayly basis you turn to private server
    why?
    becuase the normal EXP rate s a bit higher for the low rates
    maing it a BIT easyer to get allt he stuff you left behind back
    and there are NO AD SPAMMERS
    no HACKERs
    no PRICKS
    and no LAGG
    4 of the main reasons people quit are solve by moving

if you want people to take you seriously and actually read this, LEARN TO SPELL YOU F'N RETARD! and

dont

type

this

breaking news, a brawl broke out between the hogger and arthas the lich king downtown gadgetzan. there where no survivers