Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My thoughts on WOTLK in two words: Too Easy

qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

I bought the recent expansion pack and have been playing it recently. Overall alot feels familar upon returning  after a year break or so. I quit shortly after TBC was released, I did not enjoy what the game had become. I did not enjoy the  new focus on arena play and I did not enjoy multitarget tanking with my warrior.

The game  felt seperated into two parts,  pve and pvp with the  resilience change and my warrior could only fit into one part. Well I have had  a better experience with multitarget tanking in WOTLK. The issue is I haven't found the challenge in instances in WOTLK. At this point Blackrock Depths is more challenging. Great tanking is easier now but no one crowd controls, and the mobs hit for so little. It is a cinch to keep every monster hitting me with ease the entire instance 4-6 at a time and take little damage and no downtime. People refuse to crowd control now because  you don't have to win.

In TBC tanking multiple targets was too hard as a warrior because the original game wasn't designed for you to tank multiple monsters. But at least in TBC the monsters would hit hard and crowd control was needed at least before everyone is wearing epic gear. I am in quest gear in WOTLK and haven't died once the entire time I have been in instances so far. The lack of a challenge bothers me. I like some strategy in dungeons, not AE everything down.

I will continue on playing past 76 and give further reports, but as of now WOTLK is too easy. I know the game is still seperated into two paths, pvp and pve which is not good in my opinion and arena is still a focus but I will try some raiding.

Comments

• blondehblondeh Member UncommonPosts: 540

TBC was too easy aswell pre level 70. Hell even the early level 70 content was very easy.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Yeah, they probably went overboard a little bit on multi-target threat for tanks.  The problem in the past was it was very hard to find tanks because there were so few really good tanks out there.    Multi-target tanking was by far the hardest thing in the game (warriors and druids).   There were so many bad warrior and druid tanks, that people would only PUG with a paladin, since even a bad paladin tank could do large pulls pretty easily.

In order to eleviate the high demand for tanks, and to get away from everyone wanting a pally tank, they gave warriors and druids much better multi-target tools.  The problem now is that bad tanks can get you through a dungeon run, but a good tank will allow you to AOE down every pull.   My tank is a bear, and I get annoyed when druids,mages and locks start hitting the big AOE nukes because I know that in the future, that will get us killed.   It makes for smooth runs now, but if they don't learn to use their CC abilities and focus fire, later on they will be doing a lot of death runs.

The devs said they are fine with people aoe'ing down the 'leveling' instances, but they doubt (and its' been my experience) that you can't aoe the lvl 80 instances or the heroic instances.   You will still have some idiots try, but as long as your healer says " sorry, my rez is on CD, you'll have to run back"... they will learn soon enough.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Originally posted by qombi
    I will continue on playing past 76 and give further reports, but as of now WOTLK is too easy. I know the game is still seperated into two paths, pvp and pve which is not good in my opinion and arena is still a focus but I will try some raiding.

I sorta get where you are coming from, but this final statement invalidates your whole point. You can't really write off the whole expansion as being too easy when you haven't completed all of the content now can you?

You also say that tanking is too easy, but you fail to mention what you have found too easy? Which instances and MOB's are you talking about?

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by jason_webb

I sorta get where you are coming from, but this final statement invalidates your whole point. You can't really write off the whole expansion as being too easy when you haven't completed all of the content now can you?

You also say that tanking is too easy, but you fail to mention what you have found too easy? Which instances and MOB's are you talking about?

ah, i just noticed that lvl 76 comment.   The leveling instances (pre 80) are definitely easy on a tank which allows the dps to use AOE abilities.   The lvl 80 dungeons and the heroics are harder.   They are more like BC where you can only really AOE down the non-elite mobs.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170
    Originally posted by blondeh

TBC was too easy aswell pre level 70. Hell even the early level 70 content was very easy.

Yes I will agree with you that previous content was easy as well but the point I am making is they have went too far this time. Now it is too easy to enjoy.

Originally posted by Azrile

ah, i just noticed that lvl 76 comment.   The leveling instances (pre 80) are definitely easy on a tank which allows the dps to use AOE abilities.   The lvl 80 dungeons and the heroics are harder.   They are more like BC where you can only really AOE down the non-elite mobs.

I will continue on to experience these dungeons as well. I have not written off the game just yet. I still think that even in these early level 80 dungeons a tank should not be able to take hits from that many elites without taking much damage. After all this isn't a beginner dungeon, the game is 1-80 now and  those  dungeons should have been back at Ragefire Chasm and Wailing Caverns .. but you know what I remember having more trouble out of Wailing Caverns and Deadmines than some of the new dungeons in  WOTLK. : ) Taking 3-6 monsters at a time in Deadmines could have been deadly.

• AirdefierAirdefier Member UncommonPosts: 33

You know they are going to release more patches with more content right?

T8 and T9 still have to come out.

not to mention several other dungeons.

stop the QQ

- Air

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

You shouldn't compare lvl 76 with 70 of TBC, you should compare it with lvl 66.

All that said, and I don't play Wow myself now but all my friends who are playing (a lot of people) do agree that the game is simpler now, seems like many players asked for that on the forums.

So, well OP if it is so easy why are you not 80 already?

Anyways, if the majority of the players wants a easier game, can you really blame Blizzard for giving them that? As far as I heard the complains were lot about that only a few selected players could experience the whole game so Blizzard made the RAIDs a bit easier so more could play them. Blizzard have always given the players what they wanted, that is why Wow have so many players.

If you want a really hard game, maybe you should try something else? There are harder games out there you know...

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Originally posted by Airdefier

stop the QQ

Then tier 10 and tier 11 gear right? Sorry, but after reading your post I had to chuckle. Is that really what WoW is all about now, gear gear and more gear. Blizzard needs to come out with a new MMO. People are soon going to realize that its nothing but a revolving wheel of gear. Every content patch and every expansion will be about gearing up. Forget story lines, forget lore, and forget role playing which is what an RPG stands for. Gear me up baby! BTW, I do play WoW. I just thought your post was funny and only shows how lame I am for playing this game. =)

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Seems to me like much of the lower 1-10 maybe even 1-20 content/quests are not as populated since everyone stays in Northrend now. They should give players an option to start a new character at level 20 with 200 gold and free skill training.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

I bought the recent expansion pack and have been playing it recently. Overall alot feels familar upon returning  after a year break or so. I quit shortly after TBC was released, I did not enjoy what the game had become. I did not enjoy the  new focus on arena play and I did not enjoy multitarget tanking with my warrior.
    The game  felt seperated into two parts,  pve and pvp with the  resilience change and my warrior could only fit into one part. Well I have had  a better experience with multitarget tanking in WOTLK. The issue is I haven't found the challenge in instances in WOTLK. At this point Blackrock Depths is more challenging. Great tanking is easier now but no one crowd controls, and the mobs hit for so little. It is a cinch to keep every monster hitting me with ease the entire instance 4-6 at a time and take little damage and no downtime. People refuse to crowd control now because  you don't have to win.
    In TBC tanking multiple targets was too hard as a warrior because the original game wasn't designed for you to tank multiple monsters. But at least in TBC the monsters would hit hard and crowd control was needed at least before everyone is wearing epic gear. I am in quest gear in WOTLK and haven't died once the entire time I have been in instances so far. The lack of a challenge bothers me. I like some strategy in dungeons, not AE everything down.

That's because WOTLK / WoW is an introductory mmo, made for non-gamers to learn about mmo-type games

That's why it's also very popular, it's a good place for people who are new to video games to have a rewarding experience

Real gamers, skilled PVPers and experienced mmo players might play WoW on the side, but their real game will be more challenging and more rewarding for players with skill and who want real open PVP

Games like Warhammer and EVE are where veteran gamers go :)

thats not what i meant, I dont know why you are so quick to be so rude.

I just mean they will release more content  as the game progresses.

you are always going to have hardcore players that speed through content to the point where you have to space the content out to keep it interesting.

- Air

stop the QQ

Now you are just being childish. Quit proving the WoW stereotype to be true.

you are always going to have hardcore players that speed through content to the point where you have to space the content out to keep it interesting.

How ironic you say this when your post contained a childish MMORPG slang term "QQ" Being rude must go around.

How ironic you say this when your post contained a childish MMORPG slang term "QQ" Being rude must go around.

I wasn't trying to be mean. i just don't know why people are trying to hard to find fault with things.

and I'm so so sure you haven't used a slang " childish MMORPG slang term " while posting in this MMORPG forum.

hahaha

get off your high horse.

- Air

I wasn't trying to be mean. i just don't know why people are trying to hard to find fault with things.

and I'm so so sure you haven't used a slang " childish MMORPG slang term " while posting in this MMORPG forum.

hahaha

get off your high horse.

Please point out a post where I have used something of that nature before assuming I have. Thank you.

• kxmodekxmode Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by mackdawg19

Then tier 10 and tier 11 gear right? Sorry, but after reading your post I had to chuckle. Is that really what WoW is all about now, gear gear and more gear. Blizzard needs to come out with a new MMO. People are soon going to realize that its nothing but a revolving wheel of gear. Every content patch and every expansion will be about gearing up. Forget story lines, forget lore, and forget role playing which is what an RPG stands for. Gear me up baby! BTW, I do play WoW. I just thought your post was funny and only shows how lame I am for playing this game. =)

WOW has ALWAYS been about "gearing up" because at its core gear equals rewards. But gear isn't the only thing. There are Achievements, Levels, Reputation, Professions, and other rewards. Forget story line? Forget lore? Forget role play? LOL. Please. Compared with classic WOW and TBC, WOTLK is by far the most story-driven, lore-centric expansion to date. The on-the-fly instanced content through Stormpeaks and Icecrown is stellar. The Death Knight starting zone is fantastic. The best part is once you hit level 80 you, and nine other friends, can go hit places like Serpentshrine Cavern and Black Temple for additional story and lore. So that's on the PVE front... on the PVP front the focus is on world PVP that used to be AWESOME back in the day when Southshore - Tarren Mill skirmishes occurred daily. Wintergrasp is the new Southshone-Tarren Mill and Alterac Valley rolled into one and it is AWESOME.

I will admit I am a fan boy but I've also been burnt out on WOW more than a few times and I have to say WOTLK is much more focused and all-around more fun to play than classic WOW and TBC.

Originally posted by kxmode

Originally posted by mackdawg19

WOW has ALWAYS been about "gearing up" because at its core gear equals rewards. But gear isn't the only thing. There are Achievements, Levels, Reputation, Professions, and other rewards. Forget story line? Forget lore? Forget role play? LOL. Please. Compared with classic WOW and TBC, WOTLK is by far the most story-driven, lore-centric expansion to date. The on-the-fly instanced content through Stormpeaks and Icecrown is stellar. The Death Knight starting zone is fantastic. The best part is once you hit level 80 you, and nine other friends, can go hit places like Serpentshrine Cavern and Black Temple for additional story and lore. So that's on the PVE front... on the PVP front the focus is on world PVP that used to be AWESOME back in the day when Southshore - Tarren Mill skirmishes occurred daily. Wintergrasp is the new Southshone-Tarren Mill and Alterac Valley rolled into one and it is AWESOME.

I will admit I am a fan boy but I've also been burnt out on WOW more than a few times and I have to say WOTLK is much more focused and all-around more fun to play than classic WOW and TBC.

There are alot of good qualities to WoW, and I am an EQ vet myself. but people  get upset if the game isn't exactly what they want. If you don't like it don't play.

and those who defend it, prepare to get bashed by those who love to hate.

- Air

• BladinBladin Member UncommonPosts: 1,089
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

That's because WOTLK / WoW is an introductory mmo, made for non-gamers to learn about mmo-type games

That's why it's also very popular, it's a good place for people who are new to video games to have a rewarding experience

Real gamers, skilled PVPers and experienced mmo players might play WoW on the side, but their real game will be more challenging and more rewarding for players with skill and who want real open PVP

Yeah games like WAR which is empty and has terrible PvE, and barren PvP, that is inferior to wows bgs and open rvr zone(wintergrasp>all open rvr in war by itself)

And eve?  Gotta enjoy grinding cash and raising skills while offline, just to pvp with random people for no point.  Really fun.

• MalvolentiaMalvolentia Member Posts: 253

I think you're easily the biggest fanboi I've come across on any game.  The OP's post was legit and you of course had to find some way to discredit him so you cry about him not giving you a full report on all the instances he ran and what he tanked.

The OP is right.  The game is waaaaay too easy.  It's targeted at mouthbreathers and facerollers which is the majority of the market.

He didn't have to name off any instance, the entire expansion has been retardly easy.  From the second you step foot in Northrend to the current endgame raid dungeons.

WoW fanboi: "lolz 11.5 million customers, itz obviously da best"

McDonald's: over 1 billion burgers served

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448
    Originally posted by Malvolentia

I think you're easily the biggest fanboi I've come across on any game.  The OP's post was legit and you of course had to find some way to discredit him so you cry about him not giving you a full report on all the instances he ran and what he tanked.

The OP is right.  The game is waaaaay too easy.  It's targeted at mouthbreathers and facerollers which is the majority of the market.

He didn't have to name off any instance, the entire expansion has been retardly easy.  From the second you step foot in Northrend to the current endgame raid dungeons.

So it's easy? You know there are other game out there, right? Oh wait ... you're an old school UO player clearly still smarting that the halcyon days of MMO's are over.

Well guess what - there are some things in life you just can't change and you either adapt and live with them, or let it eat you up inside. You are obviously going with the latter. I pity you and others like you that resort to derogatory terms like 'facerollers' and 'mouthbreathers' to vent your inner pain. Get over it already. Really.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

I just respecced my ret pally to prot (76 atm) and tanking on my pally is much easier then it was on my warrior pre 3.0.

Like the OP said, CC was a must, and you had to watch all the mobs carefully to be good at it.  Now, I throw maybe a mark or two to indicate who to kill first, and just jump in the middle of the fray.  I LOVE IT.  Tanking is so fun now, its like playing a dps class.  And the best part is, I TOP THE DMG METERS EVERYTIME.

I think blizzard took a step in the right direction because tanking pre-3.0 was the hardest thing to do in the game, atleast during tbc.

• VistaakahVistaakah Member Posts: 176
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

You were doing alright until you mentioned Warhammer which is basically WOW with the PVE turned down.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I bought WoW when it first came out and played for 30 days.  I happened to run into a guy who had been in the beta since the first public phase.  He was going to be unable to play for about 6 months (due to something work related) so he wanted to be 60 the first month.. and so we were (entire group).

I was burnt out.. level games aren't really my thing and on my own I don't level fast.  So I left.  I came back when TBC launched and left... So I bought WoTLK because there is nothing else for *me* to play.

Honestly I'll agree that "easy" is an accurate description.

I don't PvP in WoW... I liked PvP in Ultima Online (first year or two) and I liked DAoC RvR early on in that game as well.  So I don't have much perspective on that in WoW and its not a factor for me.

Prior to this last expansion I started a new character and in a couple weeks of playing at my pace (not overly fast) I was going through the TBC content I had never done.  Now I'm 75 and really don't feel like I've accomplished much of anything... made a lot of gold.. I've seen areas that are really nice to look at and some interesting things.

Yet when I think back to playing UO... EQ1.. heck even Anarchy Online or most any of the earlier MMO's...

Now I'm not sure easy is even the word I would use... I don't feel like I've "done anything".  I hate to say accomplished because its a game full of virtual aka unreal things.. but in UO after some PvP or EQ1 after fight certain mobs... it was like "omg that was crazy...AGAIN!!".. That's not something I've felt in a while now with any MMO.

Oh well.

• jvxmtgjvxmtg Member Posts: 371

WotLK "feels" easy because you're an experienced player, but for those who do not have the same battle scars that you have, it's far too difficult.

Why do you think that tanking and AE is a big deal for you? Because you already know what works and what doesn't works and that knowledge makes things seems easier.

I'ts like the first time you try to open a medicine bottle, without the knowledge that you have to push it down before twisting it to open, you'll still be there effortlessly trying to twist it open. But after knowing what to do, you can open many bottles without effort. Same concept.

Ready for GW2!!!