Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using the same engine as SW:TOR. But more promising?...

Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

I literally stumbled across this game when looking up details of the HeroEngine which Bioware will be using to develop SW:TOR. Simutronics (the people that created HeroEngine) are also making their own MMORPG - Hero's Journey.

After being intitially disappointed with the direction Bioware are taking I must admit that Hero's Journey sounds more like the game I wish SW:TOR would be.

For those that don't know - have a look at the Wikipedia article concerning the game:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero%27s_Journey_(computer_game)

I for one am going to be looking out for this.

Comments

• RenessaRenessa Member Posts: 79

Hmm - more promising? In what way? It really depends on why you were not happy with the concept (as far as it is known) of the future SW:TOR.

As far as I remember, Hero's Journey did not promise to be a sandbox game. On the contrary, I think, the whole game was supposed to be extremely story (quest)-driven, similiar to Bioware's ideas really and actually something, that attracted me to both games.

The whole Wyr concept, with Wyrs being able to upgrade you gear and also enhance or even change skills etc. seems, at the moment, sadly, being taken up by the F2P Runes of Magic!

The graphics sofar are much nicer than SW:TOR, at least in my opinion, but then again, it is the same engine, so perhaps the SW:TOR graphics will improve during the further development of the game.

I think, Hero's Journey has (had?) a very good concept. If they really manage to get in a lot of player events (another of their selling points) and most of all, really support RP, even in two years time, they will still stand a fighting chance for a part of the market share, I hope.

Of course, all of this depends on Hero's Journey really being in development as an mmo and not just a marketing tool for the Hero's Engine. And this is something only Simutronics really knows.... 

• DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306
    Originally posted by Renessa

Of course, all of this depends on Hero's Journey really being in development as an mmo and not just a marketing tool for the Hero's Engine. And this is something only Simutronics really knows.... 

That's the big "IF". I'd love to see the Hero's Journey concept make it to market. However, the longer it goes without press, the more certain I am that it's only a platform for selling engine licensing (albeit a very successful platform).

Really, I couldn't balme them for not taking a plunge, considering the investment required to make a contender in the MMO market. My hopes were once high, but fading fast. At least I do have SW:TOR to look forward to. The HeroEngine might be as close to Hero's Journey as we ever get.

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

Yes this game is falling quickly into vaproware status.

Or maybe it is using the Darkfall strategy of marekting..

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Promising, yes. But there's just no info. I really hope they're still working on this one.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by fansede

Yes this game is falling quickly into vaproware status.
    Or maybe it is using the Darkfall strategy of marekting..

It exists it just has not been released, and regardless of the fact it is being worked on as a sales tool for HE or it is being developed slowly to add content and areas this game would always sell to a niche audience which would suit the MUD growd to a tee . You need to check you're vaporware definition as that is one thing HJ is not , it may never release but that is something totally different..

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

HJ started devleopment in 1998 its time to put this one to sleep ....

11 years of changes and development time .....

Fugedaboutit

• Well I believe that they did mention they put the development on HJ on the back burner while they finished the engine, and considering what the engine will be capable of, I'm thankful.  Their engine is getting a lot of publicity so I can't say I blame them for the decision.  Hopefully they'll get HJ rolling again because it does sound like it has some great ideas.

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Zayne3145

I literally stumbled across this game when looking up details of the HeroEngine which Bioware will be using to develop SW:TOR. Simutronics (the people that created HeroEngine) are also making their own MMORPG - Hero's Journey.
    After being intitially disappointed with the direction Bioware are taking I must admit that Hero's Journey sounds more like the game I wish SW:TOR would be.
    For those that don't know - have a look at the Wikipedia article concerning the game:
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero%27s_Journey_(computer_game)
    I for one am going to be looking out for this.

TOR is using a Striped down and modifided version on the Hero Engine, pretty much the only thing Hero in TOR is the Physics from the hero engine.