Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sims 2 like foundation for MMORPG

AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

So I've been lurking on the forums.. seen plenty of ideas tossed around like your character actually dying in game, and sex in MMOs like from sims, and I thought "What about an MMORPG that has a Sims 2 like foundation?" 

Perhaps...

- Expansive world with a good bit of variety, detail, polish, etc.

- Either basic combat system, or one where ranged actually have to aim and stuff like that. Probably collision detection so that tanks can PvP.

- A couple of big towns where everyone can get together; fitted with your basic auction house, mail system, and the like.

- Only open world PvP (no scenarios/instances) with great reward for doing it (and not completely screwing losers) success in PvP based on group formation like (healer, tank, DPS) 

- raiding, dungeons, and such

- Player housing, furniture, clothing, toys, other items, etc. all craftable by players.

People could construct their house (probably just one house per account, and they would get to pick one place in the world) it would be made with materials gained from the game (maybe even a profession that turns stuff into building mats) and you could build houses just like in the sims, and place items in the house just like sims.

- Player based economy

- Musical abilities that people could acquire, ability to form a band, and their music could be broadcast on a radio station (could be listened to on people's radios ^.^) 

- Aging where your character starts out as a child/teenager and grows up to be an adult ( like fable ^.^), not like the aspiration system from sims 2 exactly.

- Either no levels or no emphasis on leveling, but instead just becomming and adult

- tons of emotes, and tons of player interactions like in the sims.

The ability to have sex like in sims (to keep it rated T, but maybe not as retarded looking) or at least the ability for women to get pregnant.

Children would be a NPC that acted on it's free will. You take care of it, you could send them off to military training or something if you got tired of them, maybe when they are adults they move into a major city or they never grow past a certain age and stay in your house.

- Marriage system, maybe the ability to have actual weddings in town

So yeah I love theory crafting . What are your thoughts on a MMORPG with a sims 2 like foundation?

--------------------------
Playing:
FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
My Rig:
GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

I like The Sims, and am looking forward to Sims 3, but it should only ever be a SP game.

There is already too much drama in MMO's without virtual 'marriages' that are part of the gameplay. We don't want more news headlines about some crazed woman killing her husband for sleeping with a pixellated hooker.

Like the guy above said - EA tried and failed with The Sims Online.

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by grunty

No one cared.

Did you even read my post?  In that sims there was no combat, and nothing much of the things I talked about. There wasn't even the ability to have children in the sims online

Mainly it would be these ideas from sims 2: character aging, abilitiy to build houses/decorate house-characters, player interactions (dancing/backrubs/etc.), sex and children, and marriage.

It would be without all the lame things like having to use the bathroom, keep your character entertained, permanent death, etc. And it obviously wouldn't have things like gibberish talk.

Imagine getting a game where you start out as a boy or girl and through learning the basics of the game and the story you eventually become an adult. Once you are an adult you have many possibilities from battling other players, slaying monsters, crafting, forming a band, etc. There could be so many possibilities for a game like that

Playing:
    My Rig:

Originally posted by Zayne3145

I like The Sims, and am looking forward to Sims 3, but it should only ever be a SP game.
    There is already too much drama in MMO's without virtual 'marriages' that are part of the gameplay. We don't want more news headlines about some crazed woman killing her husband for sleeping with a pixellated hooker.
    Like the guy above said - EA tried and failed with The Sims Online.

That's actually an interesting point, but where do you draw the line? Someone gets killed repeatedly in a game, so they take revenge on the player responsible for their grief in real life or something... I dunno. Hopefully most people would keep in mind that it's just a game

Playing:
    My Rig:

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

No one cared.

Yeah but the game was a piece o'shut. My wife played it for about a week back in 2003 if memory serves. It was difficult to believe the same people who made the Sims made the Sims Online.

That doesn't mean its not a viable idea.

OP, I would think a lot of the social games releasing are sorta "Sim" focuses. MMO's as they are today are turning into dinosaurs. The age of the fantasy rat killer are at an end.

Originally posted by Torak

No one cared.

Yeah but the game was a piece o'shut. My wife played it for about a week back in 2003 if memory serves. It was difficult to believe the same people who made the Sims made the Sims Online.

That doesn't mean its not a viable idea.

Maybe I should reword my original post and title, because I don't mean it would literally be like the sims. Just a few elements from it: 

- Players building their own houses; able to design house themselves like in sims. Could be anywhere in the world (probably one per account)

- Aging: from child/teen to adult preferably

- Sex, pregnancy, and marriage

- Clothing and items (but these would be created/designed by the players) Would be able to have a wardrobe like from sims, and would be able to put items about house like from sims

- Player interactions like back rub, hand shake, kiss, etc.

Playing:
    My Rig:

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

Are you suggesting a Sims Online or are you simply suggesting a mmo extending it's features to include stuff like the Sims has?

By the way I agree the original Sims Online wasn't done too well which was the reason for it's failure, however, at the same time while Sims is one of the biggest selling franchises on the PC it's questionable whether when the majority of Sims players are actually female that a potential mmo would (1) draw many guys (2) actually draw those females in the first place.

However saying that I would think the Sims is pretty easy money for the makers since I'd imagine low development costs relative to other games (due it's low graphic requirement) could easily venture with another mmo that is actually half-decent and still make money even if it did relatively badly. (with the subscription fees) I think it would have to look more at titles like Second Life than say WoW which is a combat-orientated mmo(with Sims really being the averse) Although actually how a Sims Online would work would be tough- I mean I haven't played the Sims in a long time but to make it multiplayer surely you'd have to make it sort of competitive and that might alienate a lot of normal Sims players.