Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The big game tomorrow

ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Yeah im tired already thought it was saturday

So this game will pretty much determine who will be playing Flordia for the natl champ.(sorry bama cant beat them) I think Texas is done, if we lose tech will stay in front of them and OU will move to 2. Tech wins they stay undeafeted take 1 when bama lose then wins the natl champ. Though atm OU has a 7 point spread and I think theyll hit it at home.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

Comments

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

Oh, I thought you said the big game.  In OU-Tech, I think it'll be too close to call.  But I'll pick Tech just to get under your skin.

In the big game, I'm picking Ohio State to beat Michigan. :)

• DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306

I agree, I don't think the SEC championship will even be close.

This OU / Tech matchup should be dramatic. I think Tech will pull it out, but they better be ready to play four full quarters. I'm not quite sure what it would take to get Harrell out of his rhythm. I think the only operson that may know is Stoops. We shall see.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

38 - 42 Tech

• ahnonamisahnonamis Member UncommonPosts: 10

On paper I'd give OU a slight advantage, and that's why I'm going to have to go with Tech. If I've learned anything so far this season (and last...) it's don't bet on the favorite in close games unless they have a clear-cut likelihood to win.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

BOOMER SOONER

That is all

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.

Texas does not derserve a rank above ou, we destroyed Tech while Texas only beat us by 10 points. We put up points agnist the #2 team that Flordia did to a team not even close to being ranked. It should fall Bama, OU, Flordia, Texas, USC tomorrow.

Originally posted by Arndur

Texas does not derserve a rank above ou, we destroyed Tech while Texas only beat us by 10 points. We put up points agnist the #2 team that Flordia did to a team not even close to being ranked. It should fall Bama, OU, Flordia, Texas, USC tomorrow.

It doesn't really matter that much, this throws the BCS into complete chaos and it's the BCS committee's worst nightmare, which makes it a good thing from my perspective.  Now if Florida beats 'Bama as most people seem to think will happen, then we'll have a situation about as bad as the global economy.

Suppose, 'Bama, Florida, OU, Texas, USC, Penn St and Texas Tech all finish the season with one loss.  Not to mention, Utah and Boise St, who are non-BCS schools, undefeated and both very good teams.  How can you possibly pick two teams out of that mess to go to the BCS Championship game?

Well let's look at a couple situations.  Texas Tech is almost certainly eliminated even if they win out.  The drubbing that they took tonight will not look good in the eyes of the voters.  If Florida beats Alabama bad, then they will be eliminated as well.  But if the game is close, then 'Bama will still probably be eliminated, but they would also have an argument as a one loss team, imo.

Penn St is an automatic qualifier to the Rose Bowl, so I'm betting they will not be considered for the Championship game since they fit so well into that BCS game.  Utah and Boise St, even if they go undefeated, will probably not make it since they are considered to be in weaker conferences.

So that leaves Florida, Texas, OU and USC.  Picking two teams out of that group is going to be tough.  Normally, USC would be the other automatic to the Rose Bowl, which would solve that problem.  But USC lost to Oregon St, so the Beavers have the tiebreaker if they beat Oregon in the Civil War next week.  Now if Oregon wins that game, then USC will go to the Rose Bowl and that would take care of the Trojans.

Of course, if Alabama beats Florida, then the Crimson Tide will be an automatic qualfier and the Gators will be eliminated from the BCS altogether.  One scenario that cannot happen is another match-up between OU and Texas in the Championship.  It will either be one or the other.  My guess is whoever goes to the Big 12 Championship game between those two schools based on the tie-breaker, will go onto the BCS Championship, if they win it.  If that school loses in the Big 12 Championsip, then it will be eliminated and the other school that didn't go, might find themselves in the BCS Championship.  But don't forget, OU still plays a very tough Okla St team next week, so the Sooners should not count their eggs before they are hatched.  Heck, Florida plays a pretty good Fla St team as well, so there's still a lot of football to play.

I think the morale of the story is, there should be a college football playoff so all this guessing could be put to rest once and for all.

As a sidenote, tonight's game puts Tebow back in the Heisman picture big time.  Colt McCoy and Bradford will still be up there, but the down side for them is that they will probably split a lot of votes from the Midwest.

Damn Sooners...nothing will stop them now. Any team that makes out of the big 12 South this year has to be a powerhouse.

I think Texas and Texas Tech would both beat USC.

Then again, I have no leverage for making predictions

OU was impressive. I'd really like to see them play Florida. That would be the most competative championshp in my opinion. Of course, there's still a couple of games left before we can print the game programs, and we still may have to let the computers decide who the best team is.

Oklahoma State Baylor Texas A&M Kansas
    Oklahoma 61-41 49-17 66-28 45-31
    Texas 28-24 45-21 49-9 35-7
    Texas Tech 56-20 35-28 43-25 63-21

A couple of notes:

• Texas played Missouri earlier in the season, which gives them an extra ranked opponent

• Oklahoma and Tech both played Nebraska (which probably would have been a top 20 team without their loss to VaTech)
    • Both games between OU/UT and Tech/UT were close, but OU dismantled Tech

Texas Tech is out of the running. The decision will be between Texas and Oklahoma, which makes things a little more convoluted. I would say that Oklahoma has the advantage, seeing as they just ripped apart the number 2 team in the country, and they still have a ranked opponent left to play (big games late in the season are worth more points).

With that said, don't be surprised if they give the spot to Texas since they did have Mizzou on the schedule.

Originally posted by DailyBuzz

I think Texas and Texas Tech would both beat USC.

Then again, I have no leverage for making predictions

OU was impressive. I'd really like to see them play Florida. That would be the most competative championshp in my opinion. Of course, there's still a couple of games left before we can print the game programs, and we still may have to let the computers decide who the best team is.

Oklahoma State
    Baylor
    Texas A&M
    Kansas

Oklahoma
    N/A
    49-17
    66-28
    45-31

Texas
    28-24
    45-21
    N/A
    35-7

Texas Tech
    56-20
    N/A
    43-25
    63-21

A couple of notes:

Texas played Missouri earlier in the season, which gives them an extra ranked opponent

Oklahoma and Tech both played Nebraska (which probably would have been a top 20 team without their loss to VaTech)
    Both games between OU/UT and Tech/UT were close, but OU dismantled Tech

Texas Tech is out of the running. The decision will be between Texas and Oklahoma, which makes things a little more convoluted. I would say that Oklahoma has the advantage, seeing as they just ripped apart the number 2 team in the country, and they still have a ranked opponent left to play (big games late in the season are worth more points).
    With that said, don't be surprised if they give the spot to Texas since they did have Mizzou on the schedule.

OU also played TCU whos only losses were to OU and BYU both top 10 teams. Also we beat Cincinnati.

Where was the defense today?  Oregon 65 - Oregon St 38, Oklahoma 61 - Okla St 41, Ga Tech 45 - UGA 42, Kansas 40 - Mizzou 37.  Give me a good defensive game please.

Anyway, the news of the day is...the picture isn't any clearer tonight.  Florida plays Alabama next week in the SEC Championship.  Everyone is saying Florida is going to win and they may.  But I'll tell ya, 'Bama is no slouch.  They crushed a decent Auburn team today.  I think it will be a good game, not going to pick a winner though.  Saban is an excellent coach, but then again, Meyer is pretty good too.

On the other side you got Mizzou playing -?-.  The Big 12 has decided that the team with the highest BCS ranking will go.  Doesn't seem like a very definitive criterion to me.  Whoever it is, two teams are going to be pretty upset.  I think based on last week's game, Texas Tech should probably be eliminated.  Texas and OU both have a single loss, but they were close games.  Tech got pummeled.  I personally would base it on the head to head meeting, but since there are three teams with one loss and they each knocked each other off, that makes things a bit more complicated.  Sooners had a good day today regardless.  Not only did they beat OSU, but Tech came from behind to beat Baylor.  If Baylor had won that game, Oklahoma would have been eliminated since it would come down to the head to head between them and Texas.

And Oregon St losing helped out the other one loss teams too.  Now USC will automatically go to the Rose Bowl (provided they beat UCLA next week).  So USC and Penn St are set, which means it is almost certainly going to be the winner of the Alabama-Florida game vs either Texas or Oklahoma.

But I'll tell ya how the team that is left out of the Big 12 Championship can still make it, is if Mizzou can somehow beat the team that does go.  I know it's a long shot, but it's still possible.

The fact that OU took the lead in the human polls and wer enot far behind in the computer polls shows that we should easily take over the #2 spot.

Also the refs sucked in that game. How the hell did that ref miss the fumble right in front of him. Should've been 68-34 just like it should've been 75-14 for the tech game. Yes Im mad that we were cheated out of even bigger wins. With the way our destiny is decided this season we needed them.

I still think it'll be Oklahoma and Florida. I hope it is anyway. Florida will beat the hell out of OU. Texas plays better defense than Oklahoma, but not as good as Florida, and Florida beats Texas in offense as well. There's no way OU can stop Florida, but Florida can stop OU. Florida has given up less than half of the total points that Oklahoma has this season. LESS THAN HALF!

Points Scored Points Allowed
    Florida 556 147

Texas 527 223
    Oklahoma 640 298

With that said, Florida would beat Texas even worse. I don't really want to see it get that bad. Oklahoma and Florida is the only option for a competitive game.

The Bama game should put things into perspective. Bama's average offense is 32, allowing 11.5. We'll see how they hold up against Florida.

I think a OU Florida will hit huge numbers. But no one can stop Bradford. I think hes gonna lead the charge very well agnist who ever they play.

Before we get to the championship game, let's talk about the BCS system.  I know Arndur is happy with the results, but even he should be willing to admit that there's no fair outcome here.  I don't have a stake in the Big 12 Championship game and if Texas had been chosen over OU, I would have said it was just as unfair to the Sooners.  But Texas certainly has every reason to be upset tonight.  After all, as an article I read tonight said, not only are they 11-1, but they are really a single play from being undefeated.  For it was the last second touchdown against Tech that beat them.  It's too bad Texas and OU can't play a second time for the Big 12, because either one of those teams are better than Missouri.  Regardless, the Longhorns are going to be rooting bid time for Mizzou next Saturday.  But if the Sooners do lose, would that mean that Texas would be taken in favor of them or would a team like USC jump ahead of them?

Now as far as comparing pts for and against between the teams, I don't think that's necessarily a fair comparison, Buzz.  After all, take into account all the high powered offenses that are in the Big 12.  They're bound to have more pts scored against them than Florida.  But I till tell you where Oklahoma is vulnerable.  Special teams.  They've given up too many pts on special teams this season.  Both against Texas and yesterday against OSU.  And, Florida is great on special teams.  So if they play each other, I think that could be the difference.  Stoops is going to have to whip his special teams into shape if they go to the championship game.

Also, I don't think Florida winning the SEC Championship is a given.  It's amazing to me how much Alabama is being disrespected.  Undefeated and the #1 team in the nation.  They are an excellent team.  I don't disagree that Florida is probably playing better than anyone right now and if I were to bet on the game, I think I would put my money down of Florida.  But the fact that 'Bama will surely be the underdogs in that game and they way Florida is being talked up will probably be a big motivater for the Crimson Tide.  Even though I think Florida will win the game, I will not be at all surprised if Alabama does.

Texas beat Missouri 56-31 and Oklahoma 45-35 yet they go to the championship game. No way thats right!

They should have a special playoff after the Big 12 championship game. It's the only way to be fair to all the teams and there fans.

BTW I would like to see what some of these other teams records would look like (bama,florida) if they had to play three conference games against a top 10 team. I'm just saying they deserve (have earned) a special playoff game.

Still, I will concede Oklahoma is probably playing the best football out of the Big 12 south ATM. That dosn't mean they had the best season.

Originally posted by Zindaihas

Now as far as comparing pts for and against between the teams, I don't think that's necessarily a fair comparison, Buzz.  After all, take into account all the high powered offenses that are in the Big 12.  They're bound to have more pts scored against them than Florida.  But I till tell you where Oklahoma is vulnerable.  Special teams.  They've given up too many pts on special teams this season.  Both against Texas and yesterday against OSU.  And, Florida is great on special teams.  So if they play each other, I think that could be the difference.  Stoops is going to have to whip his special teams into shape if they go to the championship game.

It's not an accurate representation of cross-conference play, but it is a descriptor of the game plan and focus. It's fairly common for the Big 12 to focus purely on offense. They grease the wheels of their offenses and wait for the other team to make mistakes. Teams like Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Missouri can win because their offenses don't make as many mistakes as their opponents do. It was Texas' defense that could have secured the win against Tech, but the secondary dropped the pick and gave the ball back to Tech's offense. As previously stated, this is how they win games. Florida will not be so generous.

Conferences like the SEC, Big 10, and Pac 10 do have a focus on playing defense. So, in the SEC, you would expect a lower scoring percentage opposed to the Big 12. Here's the thing though, while Florida has allowed less than half of the total points that Oklahoma has, they have also outscored Texas, Texas Tech, and Missouri in offense. This is why they win the big game. They are a well oiled machine on both sides of the ball. Oklahoma has only faced one significant defense this season, and that was Texas. Texas couldn't put up enough offense to get the blowout and secure a spot in the Big 12 championship. This, however, is not a problem for Florida, even playing in a conference where defense is our name brand.

1 Either way OU or UT going I think its unfair. I would had loved a one game rematch to decide just to shut up all the UT fans.

2 I think both OU and UT can handle florida and bama. If you havn't noticed OU has been missing a few huge key defensive players. Yes our special teams sucks no way to go around that they need to practice as much as possible.

3 USC should not jump anyone and imo even if florida beats bama they shouldn't jump UT. Why? Because their lost was at home too a unranked team. OU and UT both lost on the road(Dallas may be netural but its far from a home game) and to a top 5 team. UT knocked off #1 once just so if florida does it they shouldn't go ahead. Anyways the Orange bowl is praying for a OU U game because that means a shit load of money from tourist. Because those fans will go anywhere to watch their team.

Well now that he Sooners, Longhorns question has been answered, the next big question is...Buckeyes or Broncos?

Originally posted by Zindaihas

Well now that he Sooners, Longhorns question has been answered, the next big question is...Buckeyes or Broncos?

I hate OSU. If people are going to use OUs record in bowl games aganist them why not OSU's. I say let Boise State go.

OK......Oklahoma beat Baylor 17-49 and Texas beat Baylor 21-45. Missouri, on the other hand, beat Baylor 28-31.

Why is Oklahoma playing Missouri????

Oh well Oklahoma's been getting a free ride all year, I guess next week shouldn't be any different.

As for Hawaii, %#$% wait I mean Boise State, they really need to get rid of that blue field. OR....maybe they could play Baylor.....

Originally posted by qazyman

Oh well Oklahoma's been getting a free ride all year, I guess next week shouldn't be any different.

Oklahoma has the best offense in the nation. That's all people want to see nowadays. It's like when they started making baseball fields smaller so there would be more home runs. Touchdowns are exciting, but there needs to be an accomplishment attached to it. It's not very impressive when you score touchdowns against a phoned-in defense. Granted, there are some offenses that make even skilled defenses look befuddled. We can't say whether that's the case with OU or not, since the Big 12 doesn't play defense.

Best game of the year was OSU and PSU. I still got it on Tivo UGA and South Carolina was a close second. USC and Arizona was also a great game. Alas, these are the games you can win and still drop in the polls, though. Bring on the barn burners!

OK......Oklahoma beat Baylor 17-49 and Texas beat Baylor 21-45. Missouri, on the other hand, beat Baylor 28-31.
    As for Hawaii, %#$% wait I mean Boise State, they really need to get rid of that blue field. OR....maybe they could play Baylor.....

Because its the Big 12 south vs the north. Or do you mean Texas should be going? What free ride have we gotten? There is a reason our str of schedule is so high along with UTs.

I was just having some fun, and I am glad Missouri is getting some recognition.

But if the Big 12 is going to have a Championship game it should be a real Championship game, not just a chance for OU to show how strong they are. I know it's a bit of a whine, but do you really think the game will be anything other than a blow out?

You probably think I'm a Texas fan, I'm really not. I just think OU/UT would be a great game.

I get the N/S part.

I was just having some fun, and I am glad Missouri is getting some recognition.
    But if the Big 12 is going to have a Championship game it should be a real Championship game, not just a chance for OU to show how strong they are. I know it's a bit of a whine, but do you really think the game will be anything other than a blow out?
    You probably think I'm a Texas fan, I'm really not. I just think OU/UT would be a great game.
    I get the N/S part.

I would love a rematch between OU and UT. Who ever lost could say nothing at that point. I think OU was not at their best in Dallas and right now they are playing imo the best in the country. A rematch would be great but would knock one great Big 12 team from the BCS.