Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryzom on High graphic detail (Added Pics)

metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

Saga of Ryzom on high graphics detail looks freaking awesome.

This game could easily rival EQ2,Lotro and Vanguard in graphics.

On high detail the game world really comes alive and animations are fluid.

normally i play my mmos on medium detail for large group pvp, I only recently turned the graphics up.

I'm glad i did.

Here's is a couple screenies i had both are decent.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

Comments

• GilgameeshGilgameesh Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Originally posted by metalhead980

Saga of Ryzom on high graphics detail looks freaking awesome.
    This game could easily rival EQ2,Lotro and Vanguard in graphics.
    On high detail the game world really comes alive and animations are fluid.
    normally i play my mmos on medium detail for large group pvp, I only recently turned the graphics up.
    I'm glad i did.

Yes, I agree.

Despite the age of the game, the graphic is awesome. I always played the game in full high details at 1600x1200 and now, since the reopening i'm playing it at 1920x1440 (I'm still using a 4:3 CRT monitor). I never never needed to lower the details, even during OP battles with massive player numbers.

If you are lucky to have a stable client (i never crash in game and pw's are very very rare if nothing at all) the game is incredibly smooth and clean.

Ryzom rocks.

Nickname registered on www.mynickname.org

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

How about some screenshots to make a comparision?

• SasiSasi Member Posts: 144

I can't really comment on the high graphics since I'm running on an aging business laptop and have to use mostly medium settings (or lower than that in newer games).

I can say that I've tried many different games in the last year, and Ryzom just "feels" better to me. The characters, landscape, mobs, plants, weather, seasons, and sounds all just seem to belong together in ways that I haven't experienced elsewhere (save the real world).

That is a purely subjective thing, of course, and can't be measured with polygon counts or frames per second. Nor does it specify exactly what combination of graphics engine features and art direction makes it that way for me.

I *can* say that I prefer a game that feels more like original art and less like an attempt to mimic reality (or mimic other art, like anime). I'm sure there are games that have more "realistic" graphics, but to me realism is less important than an integrated and aesthetically pleasing experience. Ryzom has that, and I like it.

Last night I (my character) sat under cover in Dyron as a thunderstorm blew through. The wind whipped the trees about and blew waves of sand across the desert ground. The light grew gray and dim, the flashes of lightning briefly picking out details in the distance. Even the animals seemed affected, the NPCs seemed to scurry a little faster about their business and hunch their shoulders against the wind and rain. (I know that was just my overactive imagination, but still...) Then after a while the clouds parted, the wind abated, and the sun came peeking out again. The colors warmed in the light, and everything seemed to relax again.

I spent probably twenty minutes just watching the environment, and had an amazing time "not doing anything". I've never, ever, ever done that in any other game. And that's on MEDIUM!!!!

===============================
    Sasi
    Guild Leader of Pegasus Foundation
    in Ryzom

• MaDSaMMaDSaM Member Posts: 627
    Originally posted by Loke666

How about some screenshots to make a comparision?

I don´t have low res. screenies, but how about some high res. Videos?

www.vimeo.com/1417970 - about Matia

www.vimeo.com/1417585 - about Zoraï

www.vimeo.com/1413505 - about the Fyros

www.vimeo.com/1655106 - about combating the Kitin

www.vimeo.com/1725194 - about the World and friends ;)

Enjoy

SaM

Ryzom, we dare to be different.
    Do you dare to adapt?
  • gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

i find the water the most amazing part of Ryzoms graphics

i haven't seen better in any other MMO i've tried

• catfudcatfud Member Posts: 135

I love the grapics in ryzom and the art style. I often read how it looks 'cartoony' but I just don't see this at all. For me the apeal is how realistic the art style looks. It has a flare that makes everything 'feel alive' which is great for submersion.

I've played far too many MMOs where the game worlds just feel flat/fake (I'm racking my brain but I really can't think of a better word to describe what I mean right now)

------------------------------------------------
    Founder of The Divine Council of Pyr
    MMO: Ryzom - RF Online
    ------------------------------------------------
    Ryzom FREE Trial: PLAY NOW!!! - The must play MMO!

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816
    Originally posted by gatheris

Either you have not tried LOTRO or you are lying.

• SasiSasi Member Posts: 144

Originally posted by donjn
    Originally posted by gatheris i find the water the most amazing part of Ryzoms graphics

I believe gatheris was doing something known as "expressing an opinion".

I have played both games, and LOTRO does indeed have a pretty world and nice water. So does Ryzom, though the styles differ greatly. You pays your money and takes your pick. (Or feel free to enjoy both.)

===============================
    Sasi
    Guild Leader of Pegasus Foundation
    in Ryzom

Originally posted by donjn

Originally posted by gatheris

If you speak technicallly, Lotro has more realistic graphic and looks good. But graphic is not just 'realism'.

I played Lotro with big hope, because of Tolkien mainly, and i found myself really disappointed. The Middle Earth is very cold, there is no soul in the Lotro graphics. And, considering the difference in technology between 2004 and 2007, Ryzom is by far much better than Lotro. The world is alive in Ryzom, in Lotro is just a series  of obvious postcards. A good game need not only good graphics, it needs a 'style' and Ryzom has a style, Lotro not. You can easy confuse a Lotro screenshot with a Vanguard one, in example. When you see a Ryzom screen, you immediately recognize it.

What it's true is that Lotro has good graphics implementation, very polished. I think it is a good game for people new to the MMO genre and probably for people that loves rp, it's a bit banal tho,despite of his realistic water, for old time players.

Ryzom is special, even with his 2004-directX8 graphics.

At the end, if I have to compare water implementation in different games, then the best water I've ever seen is in Myst Online (no surprise as Myst series had always a very high standard graphic).

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

yes game looks great, need to try it out agai...is it still in the free trial thingy?

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Looks nice to me but LOTRO and AoC looks better. This is in class with Vanguard in my book.

That is still good however, looks better than WAR.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Looks nice to me but LOTRO and AoC looks better. This is in class with Vanguard in my book.

Vanguard is not even remotely close to the environments in this game. Not even a little with its clunky Unreal2 engine.

• MachieltjeMachieltje Member UncommonPosts: 131

LOTRO and AOC probably do look better (haven't played either..) but they were released fairly recent and not in 2004 like Ryzom so I'd say graphics are pretty good all things considering.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

When I say that Ryzom could Rival Lotro and EQ2 in graphics I don't mean that the game totally looks better all those games have great graphics imo.

Ryzom is just up there with them.

I never said Ryzom > Lotro/EQ2.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• AlchimesAlchimes Member UncommonPosts: 27

You said that you have not seen better water in any MMO than in Ryzom?

I saw the water in LOTRO and I think its the best looking in all MMO.

Screen for comparison.

http://img842.imageshack.us/i/screenshot00303.jpg/

http://img217.imageshack.us/i/screenshot00304o.jpg/

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Originally posted by Alchimes
    Screen for comparison.

Way to resurrect an ancient thread...

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• MaDSaMMaDSaM Member Posts: 627

So, leave him with his obsession with water.

It´s so rare that trolls are actually interested in it image

Anyway, Yes Lotros Water IS realy nice and cool and such. So what?

Is water the new cure all for reasons to play a game?

Well, not to me. *shrugs*

Like Lotro, still like Ryzom better.

Both have their moments.

CU

SaM

Ryzom, we dare to be different.
    Do you dare to adapt?

Originally posted by Alchimes

Screen for comparison.

You missed the point, but I understand why. You are judging screenshots, not the real virtual world.

Technically, Lotro is, most probably, the best developed MMO for the graphics, in terms of polish and stability. Technically....

The point is that the middle earth in Lotro is "cold", there is no soul into. Something exists called "art style", and Ryzom has it.

And more, middle earth is not alive... have you ever seen all entities breathing in MMOs?

In Ryzom, your character and all the animals breath.

Ecosystem behaviour, environmental sounds and all the little details make Atys, the Ryzom world, "alive".

Leaves moving in the wind, seasons that changes the whole landscape, weather with thunders, rain and snow (in winter of course), animals that do their own affairs even without any player around, herds migrating at season changes....

Do you think the fantastic graphic of lotro (and even aoc) can match this?

Technically, Ryzom is dated 2004, but the entire world feels like a real virtual world.

And with max settings and a bit of bloom, Ryzom doesn't sounds so dated, at the end.

I played Lotro and I can judge (of course, i second my personal tastes). If you never seen Atys, better you at least try it out for a while (just the time to make a trek in the mainland), just to see if I'm lying or not.

So, just to answer better at the quote: sure the water in Lotro is better than in Ryzom (but in ryzom is still good), but what makes the difference is the overall world in all his aspects.

Last thing: in lotro players are on Earth. In Ryzom, the world is alien, and it's not a normal planet, but an organic plant!

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

Originally posted by Gilgameesh

At the end, if I have to compare water implementation in different games, then the best water I've ever seen is in Myst Online (no surprise as Myst series had always a very high standard graphic).

You should check out Bioshock, it has amazing water graphics and also a great style :p

But it is really awesome how Ryzom ages, I mean, WoW has timeless graphics, but Ryzom tops it, because it is less cartoony and even more alife imho.

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• lancelot76lancelot76 Member Posts: 119

Still trying to get over the whole necro thread issue here. :-)

On topic: I agree Ryzom looks very good for its age, period. Even most games with "better" graphics don't seem to match Ryzom at least in the MMO space. Much of it is subjective of course, but my point is if you max out the settings like many others have been saying for years, you really don't need another game with "better" graphics because this one does just fine as is, thanks. :-) My 2 dappers/cents anyway...