Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stop the heavy handed moderating, please

PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

I just spent almost two hours of my life working very hard writing up what I thought was a thoughtful commentary on the features of AC1 vs. the current crop of MMORPGs (for another persons thread here at The Pub, 'AC1 deserves more respect'). Only to have that thread promptly moved to the AC1 forum. Where of course it will be completely ignored.

Was that the whole idea? If not, would you please cut us a little more slack to talk about what we wish to here. Thanks very much.

Comments

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

You could send a mail to the moderators([email protected]) instead of making this topic. Feel it would help you more then by making this topic. I do understand your frustration, but this is just not the way to do it

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

How is moving a topic to a forum more in line with the topic heavy moderation?

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Jefferson81Jefferson81 Member Posts: 730

My post got deleted because I said that I'm in the beta.

Apparently you can't even say that you are in the beta.

Originally posted by Jefferson81

My post got deleted because I said that I'm in the beta.
    Apparently you can't even say that you are in the beta.

That is one of the rules in most beta NDAs. Reading them is quite informing.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

I felt the move was highly inappropriate because we were talking about a series of (it so happens, rapidly vanishing) design features in MMORPGs in general, and not hyping the game AC1 per se. In my opinion this is exactly what The Pub exists for. But I suppose I could understand it if a mod took it differently on first impulse.

But still, what I'm asking is for is a little more toleration and a little less instant reaction. Sending this topic to the AC1 forums was condemning it to death. And it didn't deserve that.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

Originally posted by Pynda

I felt the move was highly inappropriate because we were talking about a series of (it so happens, rapidly vanishing) design features in MMORPGs in general, and not hyping the game AC1 per se. In my opinion this is exactly what The Pub exists for. But I suppose I could understand it if a mod took it differently on first impulse.
    But still, what I'm asking is for is a little more toleration and a little less instant reaction. Sending this topic to the AC1 forums was condemning it to death. And it didn't deserve that.

Take a look at the Asheron's Call forum topic list.  Except for this new topic almost none have fewer than 200 views.  The AC forum is not a desert.

• spinach8puffspinach8puff Member CommonPosts: 864

The thread title was Asheron's Call deserves more respect. If a thread is about a particular game it should be in its appropriate forum. I don't see how that's difficult to understand. It sounds like you were trying to subtly advertise the game and are upset it was moved. Don't worry intelligent people will try a game despite its flaws. Not that I am bashing the game I am just saying it's kinda old and it seems you are worried about its popularity or something to that effect.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

I feel with you smaller games are not realy appreciated here:(

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827
    Originally posted by spinach8puff

The thread title was Asheron's Call deserves more respect. If a thread is about a particular game it should be in its appropriate forum. I don't see how that's difficult to understand. It sounds like you were trying to subtly advertise the game and are upset it was moved. Don't worry intelligent people will try a game despite its flaws. Not that I am bashing the game I am just saying it's kinda old and it seems you are worried about its popularity or something to that effect.

Lol shall we summon up all wow topics war aoc topics in GD they are solely topics for these games but not removed.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

Originally posted by spinach8puff

It sounds like you were trying to subtly advertise the game and are upset it was moved.

Thanks for not reading my post. If you had you would have seen that I said I wouldn't be going back to AC1 again because the populations were too small, and that server merges were technically impossible to do. And I ended it with the quote "you can never go home again".

But nice try.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

I just spent almost two hours of my life working very hard writing up what I thought was a thoughtful commentary on the features of AC1 vs. the current crop of MMORPGs (for another persons thread here at The Pub, 'AC1 deserves more respect'). Only to have that thread promptly moved to the AC1 forum. Where of course it will be completely ignored.
    Was that the whole idea? If not, would you please cut us a little more slack to talk about what we wish to here. Thanks very much.

Read the RoC, link at the bottom of this page. I believe complaining about mods will get you in hot water also.

What you shoulda did was title the post something like 'Why the current generation of MMOs don't compare to the old" and then used AC as your primary example in the body of the post.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Off-Topic Posting

* Posting in boards that clearly have nothing to do with your topic is not tolerated. Typically, posts of this nature will be moved to the appropriate board.

Example: A post in the EverQuest II boards about how much you love World of WarCraft is off topic.

Originally posted by Evasia 
    Lol shall we summon up all wow topics war aoc topics in GD they are solely topics for these games but not removed.

If it has the name of a game in its title then I'm all for shoving them into their appropriate forums right away. All of the rest depend on what the original post was about. Reading the original post  Pynda posted under was only about AC. If it was a general topic about vanishing design features Tenspotting wouldn't have put the name of the game in the title. Anyways the only other game I see mentioned in that thread was EQ by the OP (Tenspotting). Everyone else only talked about AC. Therefore making the thread about AC and requiring a move to the AC forum.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

It is especially bad with some of the less used forums, some might have 1 visitor a week, yet they still move t.hose threads.

Thanks for not reading my post. If you had you would have seen that I said I wouldn't be going back to AC1 again because the populations were too small, and that server merges were technically impossible to do. And I ended it with the quote "you can never go home again".
    But nice try.

That's why I said it "sounds like..." because I didn't read your post. If I had said "You tried to subtly advertise the game and are upset it was moved." Then that means I would have read your post and found some sort of evidence to support my accusation.

So why are you upset it was moved to its appropriate forum then?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I think that the mods are doing a good job now, a lot better than a year ago. Keep up the good work.

Originally posted by Evasia 
    Anyways the only other game I see mentioned in that thread was EQ by the OP (Tenspotting). Everyone else only talked about AC. Therefore making the thread about AC and requiring a move to the AC forum.

Evasia, I used the phrase the "Terrific features AC1 had, but which you never see anymore:", and then went on to talk about randomly generated loot, multiple damage types/weaknesses, rare drop types, skill based character creation, etc..

Spinach, I don't find it very polite to throw out a really nasty (false) accusation, and then claim an exemption because you attached some weak ass qualifier to your insult. I was trying to talk about old style MMORPG features, not pump AC1. Things you may not know much about.

As for the rest, and especially as opinion seems to be so strongly against me here, I guess I'd better shut my mouth before I get my arse banned. Because I really do enjoy participating at this site, and have been coming here for years.

• dterrydterry Member Posts: 449

If you wanted your article to use AC1 as an example but to have it read as general article then you should probably just consider a different subject line for it. As for the moderators here... this website has been criminally devoid of moderation for as long as I have been surfing here. If the Mods are becoming more active it can only improve things around here.

Spinach, I don't find it very polite to throw out a really nasty (false) accusation, and then claim an exemption because you attached some weak ass qualifier to your insult. I was trying to talk about old style MMORPG features, not pump AC1. Things you may not know much about.

I think you're assuming my attitude is malicious, but nonetheless I apologize as I didn't mean for it to come off as an insult. I only wanted to comment on what it sounded like to me and possibly others.

• DarcknyghtDarcknyght Member Posts: 127

Well my experiance with the heavy handed moderating is, banned for saying Vanboi to many times(three total). Serious? Can't say Vanboi more then once. Plus the mods have it out for me and i know this because i get banned rather quickly after a return for saying the same everyone else says but i still see them posting the next day. So its whatever MMORPG.com staff well some of em are communist and i know the ones that ban me were picked on in high school and now feel they have some kind of power. Well FYI ya don't, being banned from mmorpg.com is the least of anybodies worries.

I can't help myself.

It wasn't my topic, I wasn't the OP. But I did put a lot of effort into my reply.

One Note - It's occurred to me since that the thread may have been moved while I was actually writing my magnificent opus. So..... But I still think some of the other replies previous to mine were general enough that the thread could have been allowed to stay at The Pub.

Note 2 - I was also kind of hoping some of my old guildies would see my post and say hello as well. So this was another reason for my disappointment.

I can't help myself.
    It wasn't my topic, I wasn't the OP. But I did put a lot of effort into my reply.
    One Note - It's occurred to me since that the thread may have been moved while I was actually writing my magnificent opus. So..... But I still think some of the other replies previous to mine were general enough that the thread could have been allowed to stay at The Pub.
    Note 2 - I was also kind of hoping some of my old guildies would see my post and say hello as well. So this was another reason for my disappointment.

Each of the threads before yours are only talking about AC and yes I read them.

Yes, you can help yourself. You can edit your post right now, cut everything in there, make a new topic in The Pub forums titled something like "Vanishing Design Features", and paste everything in there that was in your post. Then to keep the topic ongoing add a line at the bottom saying something like "What design features in games have you guys seen in past MMOs that you don't in todays MMOs." That way you can keep the topic general and keep your post in The Pub. Problem solved.

That's actually pretty sound and well written advice Spinach. I wish I had thought of that. But I think I'm a little too tired for it now. Next time...

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

I think the moderation is way to merciful. The OP should be banned, and all his posts erased.

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493
    Originally posted by Torak

Read the RoC, link at the bottom of this page. I believe complaining about mods will get you in hot water also.

What you shoulda did was title the post something like 'Why the current generation of MMOs don't compare to the old" and then used AC as your primary example in the body of the post.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Off-Topic Posting

* Posting in boards that clearly have nothing to do with your topic is not tolerated. Typically, posts of this nature will be moved to the appropriate board.

Example: A post in the EverQuest II boards about how much you love World of WarCraft is off topic.

Torak is correct about this. IMO, this site need more rules of conduct and should be more strick about posting and banning.