Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HUGE update in GW!!!

illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

huge update for GW on nov13!

here's a list:
November 13 Updates

All of the methods for gaining Luxon and Kurzick faction which can be used to progress the Friend of the Luxons and Friend of the Kurzicks titles have been significantly rebalanced, and several new methods have been added. Players should now have many interesting options for gaining faction that are similar to the pace of the quests that had been efficient ways to earn these titles.

> new consumables and summoning stones!
> better rewards!
> account wide titles and title rebalances!!!
> new content!

For players who own all three campaigns, there is an additional book available.
* "Young Heroes of Tyria" tells three stories. First is the story of a young Ascalonian hero fighting a Charr invasion and eventually fleeing with Prince Rurik over the Shiverpeaks to Lion's Arch. Then there is the story of a young Canthan hero under the tutelage of Master Togo at the Shing Jea Monastery as together they discover a plague spreading throughout the land and travel to Kaineng Center in search of answers. Lastly, there is a young hero from Elona training to become a member of the elite military order, the Sunspears, while a storm begins to brew with Spearmarshal Kormir and Warmarshal Varesh of Kourna at the center. There is only a Hard Mode version of this book.

to those people who insistent say the GW is dying and ANET doesnt care about their player base:

IN YOUR *freaking ugly* FACES!!!
lol

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

Comments

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Now I don't wish GW to die, but I wouldn't call one 'major' patch a year after GW EN can be considered enough support to show that anet cares about the player base.  (I very well could be wrong about the patches, but I  honestly can't recall any other 'major' patches since GW EN)

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by Emeraq

Now I don't wish GW to die, but I wouldn't call one 'major' patch a year after GW EN can be considered enough support to show that anet cares about the player base.  (I very well could be wrong about the patches, but I  honestly can't recall any other 'major' patches since GW EN)

Let's put it this way:

1) There's no monthly fee - ANet aren't "entitled" to provide us with new content.

2) They're actively working on an entire game,  yet still manage to release small updates almost every week and, on occassions such as this one, large updates.

Whereas most MMOs release all their updates in one large patch every few months, ANet chose to release them in a small, continuous trickle. That's most likely why you're complaining. 

Anyway, thanks for the heads up! This update is indeed awesome. It's a great way to get people to start doing missions again.

• galliard1981galliard1981 Member Posts: 256

nobody dares say bad about anet. their game is perhaps still the best. let them focus on gw2

but to call this a major update? its only about some nub titles

Playing: Rohan
    Played (from best to worst): Shadowbane, Guild Wars, Shayia, Age of Conan, Warhammer, Runes of Magic, Rappelz, Archlord, Knight online, King of Kings, Kal online, Last chaos

Originally posted by galliard1981

nobody dares say bad about anet. their game is perhaps still the best. let them focus on gw2
    but to call this a major update? its only about some nub titles

Try reading all the patch notes before making uninformed comments.

Originally posted by Lydon

Let's put it this way:

1) There's no monthly fee - ANet aren't "entitled" to provide us with new content.

2) They're actively working on an entire game,  yet still manage to release small updates almost every week and, on occassions such as this one, large updates.

Whereas most MMOs release all their updates in one large patch every few months, ANet chose to release them in a small, continuous trickle. That's most likely why you're complaining. 

Anyway, thanks for the heads up! This update is indeed awesome. It's a great way to get people to start doing missions again.

1&2)  I am aware that we are not 'entitled' to have new content and that Anet is not 'obligated' to give it to us. My point on the issue was that I wouldn't consider the small infreguent updates, and the larger infrequent updates as reflecting active support to the game. 

It seemed to me that the OP was trying to use this patch as a proof of 'life' still left in the game. I believe a majority of NCsoft/Anet's focus is elsewhere, and you can't look at their patches for proof of life left in the game, you have to look at the number of players still playing the game. 

With that said, if players run out of things to do and start leaving GW because of lack of updates, new content etc, then at that point you can shift the burden of proof of life on updates.

the small infreguent updates

They update the game once, sometimes twice a week. If you consider that infrequent you clearly haven't played very many MMOs at all.

• robby5403robby5403 Member Posts: 368

Did they release new level content.... (new areas)?

No they didn't.

• robby5403robby5403 Member Posts: 368

No they didn't.

Pitty, but is it me or are there more people ingame currently then on every high peak hour last 7 months? Now the skill update everyones waiting for: Stop perma shadow form, put disenchanters and a lot of bosses in the way between beacons and drok to stop pro runners and balance pvp to stop smite assas/monk and others that ruin pvp. It would also be cool if they add a new real like in wow where everyone has 8 fresh char slots and noone is lvl 20 with no gold etc so everyone has start there over again to give us the good old time back where GW was the best (the 2 chapters ruined the game cause people where split up to much....)

• Lightscout11Lightscout11 Member UncommonPosts: 71

This is one of those things that make me pround that i am a GW player. ANET

They update the game once, sometimes twice a week. If you consider that infrequent you clearly haven't played very many MMOs at all.

Assume much don't we... Here's a list of the P2P MMO's that I've played UO, EQ, EQ2, DAOC, COH, GW, WoW, LotRO, DDO and Vanguard.

I see my updater bar move from time to time, but often I just don't see in-game what it is that they've updated. Aside from the holiday events, not much stands out, (And even those Holiday events seem to be repeats of the previous years event so to me 'updating' is not that big of a deal as they already have it saved)..

I see that  they have a monthly tonic or food... Whoopty doo.

And as far as updates go, over the course of a year, LOTRO (in my opinion) has outdone every MMO with updates and free content that might have otherwise been expansion content for other games.

Assume much don't we... Here's a list of the P2P MMO's that I've played UO, EQ, EQ2, DAOC, COH, GW, WoW, LotRO, DDO and Vanguard.

I see my updater bar move from time to time, but often I just don't see in-game what it is that they've updated. Aside from the holiday events, not much stands out, (And even those Holiday events seem to be repeats of the previous years event so to me 'updating' is not that big of a deal as they already have it saved)..

And as far as updates go, over the course of a year, LOTRO (in my opinion) has outdone every MMO with updates and free content that might have otherwise been expansion content for other games.

You can't blame ArenaNet for not updating the game if you don't read the update notes. The entire update last week was something like 300kb. I wouldn't have noticed the presence of the new NPCs or have known that I could increase my Luxon and Kurzick faction caps had I not read the update notes, for example. 

Since you've played a few MMOs, maybe you should consider putting that knowledge to use? Sure, LotRO may very well have huge updates on a semi-frequent basis, but you forget that that's what the monthly fee goes toward. 

ArenaNet could just so easily abandon Guild Wars in its current form. There is tons of content available (more so than in many other MMOs), so there really isn't a need for them to continually balance skills, add new features, adjust old features etc. Yet they do. Now how you can say they don't care is beyond me as they are under absolutely no obligation to do anything as we aren't forking over our cash to them every month. 

You can't blame ArenaNet for not updating the game if you don't read the update notes. The entire update last week was something like 300kb. I wouldn't have noticed the presence of the new NPCs or have known that I could increase my Luxon and Kurzick faction caps had I not read the update notes, for example.  I see what you mean, see below.

Since you've played a few MMOs, maybe you should consider putting that knowledge to use? Sure, LotRO may very well have huge updates on a semi-frequent basis, but you forget that that's what the monthly fee goes toward.  I don't know that I use a third party updater I believe it's the standard updater, but nowhere when I log in do I see a patch update info and explanation listing, or even a link to their website update page, such as you see in other MMO's.  I'm assuming that they want us to go to their website to see that, I'd rather see it when I'm signing in as well as being able to see it in game. 

ArenaNet could just so easily abandon Guild Wars in its current form. There is tons of content available (more so than in many other MMOs), so there really isn't a need for them to continually balance skills, add new features, adjust old features etc. Yet they do. Now how you can say they don't care is beyond me as they are under absolutely no obligation to do anything as we aren't forking over our cash to them every month.  Where, in either of my posts, did I type the words "they don't care" about GW? I was stating that I don't feel, from what I can see with my eyes, not just in game but my updates take mere seconds, and I don't have anything special as far as internet, I have comcast.

• SerlingSerling Member Posts: 662

The storybook idea is cool for all three campaigns, but gawd...if you already have a protector or guardian title, you have to redo EVERY mission to fill the books!!!

Why they couldn't have made them like the Hero books in EoTN, where if you've already completed the missions you just have to pay toi get them filled out is COMPLETELY idiotic!

For someone with multiple characters on one account, this is nothing more than A-Net's way of saying "jump through all these hoops AGAIN if you want anything from us!"

Screw it.  If this is how these devs treat their players, screw GW2.  I'm done with it.

^

Unfortunately things simply can't always be handed to you on a plate. The point of the story books are to get people playing the missions again. 

Let's put it this way...you're annoyed because you have to work for the story book rewards now. If story books weren't included in the game, what would have you been doing instead? Now do whatever you would have been doing or replay the missions. They're not forcing you to do anything. It would defy the point of the story books if you didn't have to work to fill them.

I see your point about having to redo things for those books and I can agree with you. I don't know that you should have to 'redo' anything that you've previously accomplished to complete the book... WoW recently introduced achievements and if memory serves me right, when it went live many players achievement books were already filled with achievements they had accomplished in the past.... But as Lydon indicated, WoW isp2p and GW is not.

• SerlingSerling Member Posts: 662

"It would defy the point of the story books if you didn't have to work to fill them."

It's a game.  None of it should be "work."  None of it.  But since it is, I have another name for it: "grind."

If what you're saying is correct, then why can you do EoTN missions once and pay to get your book filled if you forgot to get it???

My gawd, man, it ain't rocket science!  The books should be treated in every campaign the way they are in EoTN (since that's what they're modelled after): people who have done the missions should get credit for doing them.  People who haven't can fill their books by doing them.  It's not freaking hard to grasp!

Originally posted by Serling

"It would defy the point of the story books if you didn't have to work to fill them."

It's a game.  None of it should be "work."  None of it.  But since it is, I have another name for it: "grind."
    If what you're saying is correct, then why can you do EoTN missions once and pay to get your book filled if you forgot to get it???
    My gawd, man, it ain't rocket science!  The books should be treated in every campaign the way they are in EoTN (since that's what they're modelled after): people who have done the missions should get credit for doing them.  People who haven't can fill their books by doing them.  It's not freaking hard to grasp!

You're right...I used the term "work" lightly. One needs to mission for them then. Same concept, different connotations. 

As I have said before, you're failing to see the point of this update. It's meant to get people playing missions again as most mission towns are barren - especially in Prophecies. Releasing books for Prophecies 3 years after the game was released only to allow people to fill them if they've already done the missions would be quite pointless. Why spend the time developing it in the first place if the large majority of the community has already completed many/most of the missions? It would be like dishing out free rewards and a waste of development time. 

I would expect that a guild wars player would be very happy that it's gotten people playing together again, because as you just said - it's not meant to be work. You're meant to enjoy doing the missions over again. But alas, the incessant whining of the community will probably see them allow us to fill the storybooks if we've already done the missions soon.

• Shaggy67Shaggy67 Member Posts: 76

This is in reply to Serlings post above.             Just wanted to ask  Serling did you enjoy doing the missions the first time around or did you think it was work?           If you enjoyed the missions the first time around then you should enjoy them the second time.   With your vast knowledge you should be able to breeze right through them again unless you had significant help with them the first time around.   It usually takes me more than one attempt for some missions. Even the ones I can breeze through on my first attempt I usually go through them again to get the bonus that I didn't get the first time around or to help other players get through the mission. I don't have a problem with doing missions over again. If I plan to do a mission over again and a new person needs some help with that particular mission I'll help them out. I want to help others enjoy the game better and it makes the community better also.    These story books were made intentionally unlike the EOTN books. If they had wanted to have them exactly like the EOTN books, looks like they could have done them the same way  It seems like the intent of the story books is to get people to do the missions again as was said in other posts on this topic. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they have to have some reason for doing these books different than EOTN books. There has to be some train of thought that you don't see. You could just ask ANet if they had a reason for it or if it was just an oversight on their part.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by robby5403
    Did they release new level content.... (new areas)?

They're balancing the PvP content every month or so, and while I don't think the updates are very balanced they still do something and much more frequently than other game developers. Additionally Smiters got nerfed a while ago and sins haven't been that supreme for quite some time now. Sure they may seem so in RA, but RA is just about getting a decent healer - it has nothing at all to do with balance.

• MarkusDMarkusD Member Posts: 64
    Originally posted by Lightscout11

This is one of those things that make me pround that i am a GW player. ANET

me too