Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Perfect MMORPG

AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

I know the definiton is subjective, so in your opinion: What qualities are necessary for a perfect MMORPG?

If you want go into detail for each quality that is necessary, and explain what should be avoided.

I think my perfect MMO would have:

- More than just raiding or PvP. Like crafting, music, etc. You could have a character that only crafts, or one that only works on playing music, or you could have a character that does it all.

- Immersive world. Little to no loading screens, polished and detailed.

- Player creations. Players have a house somewhere in the world, guild forts, etc. Players could create their own items, or at least personalize their crafts.

- A lot of mini games or puzzles. These would be for many of the quests (think about the zelda games or whatever). You would also be able to do most of them with other players.

- Crafting: Could be done without ever having to fight, and you would be able to craft most things. Crafting would also have different mini games for each profession, and maybe even some games you could play with other people at the same time to craft.

- Focus on the story! The MMO of my dreams would have a huge focus on the story from the beginning of the game and until the last possible quest. There would be a lot of in game cinematic type things, and you would feel immersed in the story and would want to keep progressing just to see the story unfold.

- PvP: All PvP would be based on traditional groups (DPS, Healer, tank). You would have the option to progress by only doing PvP if you wanted, but it would be a little slower than PvE. There would also be mass PvP battles, and PvP area.

- PvE: There would be many dungeons to explore, interesting quests, and epic raids.

- Lots of emotes and player actions. There would be a lot of emotes in games or at least a few good ones, and there would be more than just walking around. Your character would be able to do things like dance, jump, crawl, etc.

- Decent graphics. They would have to be 3D, and they wouldn't have to be spectacular but good enough to look at and become immersed in the game world.

- Focus on community. There would be a reason for people to get together, and you wouldn't be losing out if you didn't get together, but you would be rewarded and possibly have more fun in groups.

Gear wouldn't be that important. Gear would only have a slight increase on your performance in PvE or PvP. You would also be able to do both PvE and PvP in the same type of gear (there wouldn't be PvE only and PvP only gear). The game would be more skill based than anything.

Of course everything would have to be polished, and the combat system would have to be somewhat interesting. There would be more focus on just playing and having fun vs. getting bigger and better gear all of the time, and there would be a lot more then what I listed, and plenty of things to avoid but that would take me all day to write about

--------------------------
Playing:
FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
My Rig:
GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

Comments

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493

That I enjoy the experience.

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by wjrasmussen

What would be required for that to happen?

Playing:
    My Rig:

• JadedfireJadedfire Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Aeroangel

Originally posted by wjrasmussen

What would be required for that to happen?

lol Aeroangel.. I like you already!

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

- Focus on the story! The MMO of my dreams would have a huge focus on the story from the beginning of the game and until the last possible quest. There would be a lot of in game cinematic type things, and you would feel immersed in the story and would want to keep progressing just to see the story unfold.

I never read any of the  NPC dialog in an MMORPG if I can help it, and I never read any of the lore. It seems boring and pointless to me, since it doesnt' affect the game play.

One of the few RPG's where the story has actually interested me, is KOTOR. But I wouldn't want to play that as a multiplayer game. I was enjoying watching the cut scenes, and listening to the NPC 's tell me the story. I wouldn't need anyone else around while I'm watching cut scenes.

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288

I think open PvP where players could post bounties for players that just PKed them out of no where or something in which other, higher level players could take and get paid by the NPC based on the level difference if they succeed.

I also think it'd be great if, while the type of gear wouldn't be THAT importaint, it did affect how you performed in battle (i.e. Leather Armor wouldn't absorb all that much damage but would allow you to move around faster while something like Plate Mail would absorb a lot more damage but you would barely be able to move.)  and there would be weak spots that people could get through to do max damage (i.e. someone with a bow could aim for an exposed arm pit or other area not fully covered by plates and do critical damage)

I also think... I'll just stop here with these two points before I spend forever typing something up...

• JadedfireJadedfire Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Ihmotepp

I never read any of the  NPC dialog in an MMORPG if I can help it, and I never read any of the lore. It seems boring and pointless to me, since it doesnt' affect the game play.

One of the few RPG's where the story has actually interested me, is KOTOR. But I wouldn't want to play that as a multiplayer game. I was enjoying watching the cut scenes, and listening to the NPC 's tell me the story. I wouldn't need anyone else around while I'm watching cut scenes.

I think story is important in any game. But at the same time, I feel that the most important story of all should be the one you are living and the adventures you are experiencing in the game personally. Because after you complete the entire story of the game, and have visited each and every NPC down to the very last quest, you are still going to need something there to captivate your attention. And that is where your OWN adventure is important. I think that is why there are alot of Role-players in games these days. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, on the contrary, I have Role-played myself at times.  

Well on the subject of dialog I'm thinking the quest givers and NPCs would actually talk to you (like from oblivion), and it wouldn't be long winded and boring. You would be able to skip through or avoid the dialog if you wanted.

Like personally the one thing I enjoyed the most from WoTLK was the death knight quest line. It just felt epic to me, and it was almost like I was playing in a short movie or something. If you could make an entire game's quest line as interesting as that one I probably wouldn't mind doing the quests again

And I think pets would have to be in the game as well 

Playing:
    My Rig:

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495
    Originally posted by KyutaSyuko

I think open PvP where players could post bounties for players that just PKed them out of no where or something in which other, higher level players could take and get paid by the NPC based on the level difference if they succeed.

It's an appealing idea, but no one's come up with a great bounty system. The problem seems to be exploiting the system. We are friends, and I let you kill me a million times, so you can collect the bounty, and we'll split the money, for example.

It wasn't actually bounties because no one got paid, but the original Diablo had a lot of that. You could get killed by  another player, and then go to the lobby chat room and ask someone high level to go find them and kill them, and  bring you their ear. The ear was a drop you got when you killed someone, and it had their name attatched to it, like BigKillerJohn's Ear. That was fun.

It couldnt' be exploited, because nobody got anything for it really, they just wanted something to do. You had to chase people over different instances, till you caught them and killed them down in a dungeon somewhere.

• lordoftheloolordoftheloo Member Posts: 28

RUNESCAPE!!!!

lol Joking, Just having a good time. NOTHING is perfect.

Waiting for Aion!!

Originally posted by Jadedfire

I think story is important in any game. But at the same time, I feel that the most important story of all should be the one you are living and the adventures you are experiencing in the game personally. Because after you complete the entire story of the game, and have visited each and every NPC down to the very last quest, you are still going to need something there to captivate your attention. And that is where your OWN adventure is important. I think that is why there are alot of Role-players in games these days. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, on the contrary, I have Role-played myself at times.  

So you think people should be able to make their own quests in the game or what =O I'm curious about this!

I also think it'd be great if, while the type of gear wouldn't be THAT importaint, it did affect how you performed in battle (i.e. Leather Armor wouldn't absorb all that much damage but would allow you to move around faster while something like Plate Mail would absorb a lot more damage but you would barely be able to move.) and there would be weak spots that people could get through to do max damage (i.e. someone with a bow could aim for an exposed arm pit or other area not fully covered by plates and do critical damage)

I also think... I'll just stop here with these two points before I spend forever typing something up...

I think that's an excellent idea! I love the idea about gear! I also love the idea that people who play ranged classes (caster, archer, etc.) would have to actually AIM in combat! Would definitely take a lot of skill, and now I need to think of something fun and skillful for healers, melee, and tanks

Playing:
    My Rig:

Originally posted by KyutaSyuko

It's an appealing idea, but no one's come up with a great bounty system. The problem seems to be exploiting the system. We are friends, and I let you kill me a million times, so you can collect the bounty, and we'll split the money, for example.

It wasn't actually bounties because no one got paid, but the original Diablo had a lot of that. You could get killed by  another player, and then go to the lobby chat room and ask someone high level to go find them and kill them, and  bring you their ear. The ear was a drop you got when you killed someone, and it had their name attatched to it, like BigKillerJohn's Ear. That was fun.

It couldnt' be exploited, because nobody got anything for it really, they just wanted something to do. You had to chase people over different instances, till you caught them and killed them down in a dungeon somewhere.

I think that's an interesting idea  

I've never been big on the bounty idea, because when I or someone else got revenge that was satisfying enough for me.

Playing:
    My Rig:

Originally posted by lordoftheloo

RUNESCAPE!!!!

lol Joking, Just having a good time. NOTHING is perfect.

Well there has got to be something that could at least be nearly perfect for you.

I know there are games out there that I could give a 10/10 to.

Playing:
    My Rig:

• darianledarianle Member UncommonPosts: 47

The Perfect MMORPG....

is.... REAL LIFE

Originally posted by darianle

The Perfect MMORPG....

is.... REAL LIFE

No wondrous tales or violence in my life.

Unless you are saying that all hope for MMORPGs is lost, and I should just get my entertainment elsewhere.

Playing:
    My Rig:

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529

I know the definiton is subjective, so in your opinion: What qualities are necessary for a perfect MMORPG?

If you want go into detail for each quality that is necessary, and explain what should be avoided.

I think my perfect MMO would have:

- More than just raiding or PvP. Like crafting, music, etc. You could have a character that only crafts, or one that only works on playing music, or you could have a character that does it all.

- Immersive world. Little to no loading screens, polished and detailed.

- Player creations. Players have a house somewhere in the world, guild forts, etc. Players could create their own items, or at least personalize their crafts.

- A lot of mini games or puzzles. These would be for many of the quests (think about the zelda games or whatever). You would also be able to do most of them with other players.

- Crafting: Could be done without ever having to fight, and you would be able to craft most things. Crafting would also have different mini games for each profession, and maybe even some games you could play with other people at the same time to craft.

- PvP: All PvP would be based on traditional groups (DPS, Healer, tank). You would have the option to progress by only doing PvP if you wanted, but it would be a little slower than PvE. There would also be mass PvP battles, and PvP area.

- PvE: There would be many dungeons to explore, interesting quests, and epic raids.
    - Lots of emotes and player actions. There would be a lot of emotes in games or at least a few good ones, and there would be more than just walking around. Your character would be able to do things like dance, jump, crawl, etc.

- Decent graphics. They would have to be 3D, and they wouldn't have to be spectacular but good enough to look at and become immersed in the game world.

- Focus on community. There would be a reason for people to get together, and you wouldn't be losing out if you didn't get together, but you would be rewarded and possibly have more fun in groups.
    Gear wouldn't be that important. Gear would only have a slight increase on your performance in PvE or PvP. You would also be able to do both PvE and PvP in the same type of gear (there wouldn't be PvE only and PvP only gear). The game would be more skill based than anything.

Of course everything would have to be polished, and the combat system would have to be somewhat interesting. There would be more focus on just playing and having fun vs. getting bigger and better gear all of the time, and there would be a lot more then what I listed, and plenty of things to avoid but that would take me all day to write about

Aeroangel! glad you found your way to MMORPG.com

I think you will find that it's slightly more pleasent than the WoW Off-Topic Forums

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

Originally posted by Capn23
    Aeroangel! glad you found your way to MMORPG.com

I think you will find that it's slightly more pleasent than the WoW Off-Topic Forums

I dunno I've met some rude customers already

I've actually been lurking this site for years, but finally decided to start posting here

Playing:
    My Rig:

• TrissaTrissa Member Posts: 251

- Focus on community. There would be a reason for people to get together, and you wouldn't be losing out if you didn't get together, ...

I can agree with you more or less in all the other things, really i agree in most of them.

But this one is what makes my true MMORPG. This is what i miss more on the games i have been playing recently.

• Swiftblade13Swiftblade13 Member Posts: 638

Aero,

I already welcomed you to MMORPG.com on another thread, but in case you dont see it.... welcome!  I've read several of your posts and appreciate them!  Now on to your question!

My perfect MMO would be very expensive to make!  I dont ever expect it to happen.  Vanguard tried and we know what happened there.

Take the following features from each of these games:

EQ1- style death penalty, no in game maps, EQ style quests and epic quests, challenge!

SWG- player housing and cities, crafting system, maybe SWG style character advancement

L2- PvP rules (for one type of PvP server) also full loot PvP servers for those who want it. PvE servers for the carebears... SWG style consentual type PvP on PvE servers in case you want to pvp later.  Nice open world that grows

WoW- quality and polish, 5-6 man instanced dungeon content.... if conventional MMO then WoW type quest chains... I hope for some kind of brilliant breakthrough to replace this.

NO INSTANCED PVP!!!!! world pvp only with objectives (keeps or castles ala DAOC or L2)

Player owned and built ships and meaningful uses for them.. like Vanguard was supposed to have.

I got a little disorganized, but hopefully you get the gist of it =)

Grymm
    MMO addict in recovery!
    EQ,SWG preCU,L2,EQ2,GW,CoH/CoV,V:SOH,
    Aion,AoC,TR,WAR,EVE,BP,RIFT,WoW and others... no more!

• sonicwhipsonicwhip Member UncommonPosts: 117

*ahem*

guild wars 2

release: 2009/2010

better chance for a 2010 release.

Originally posted by Swiftblade13

Aero,
    I already welcomed you to MMORPG.com on another thread, but in case you dont see it.... welcome!  I've read several of your posts and appreciate them!  Now on to your question!
    My perfect MMO would be very expensive to make!  I dont ever expect it to happen.  Vanguard tried and we know what happened there.

Take the following features from each of these games:
    EQ1- style death penalty, no in game maps, EQ style quests and epic quests, challenge!
    SWG- player housing and cities, crafting system, maybe SWG style character advancement
    L2- PvP rules (for one type of PvP server) also full loot PvP servers for those who want it. PvE servers for the carebears... SWG style consentual type PvP on PvE servers in case you want to pvp later.  Nice open world that grows
    WoW- quality and polish, 5-6 man instanced dungeon content.... if conventional MMO then WoW type quest chains... I hope for some kind of brilliant breakthrough to replace this.
    NO INSTANCED PVP!!!!! world pvp only with objectives (keeps or castles ala DAOC or L2)
    Player owned and built ships and meaningful uses for them.. like Vanguard was supposed to have.

I got a little disorganized, but hopefully you get the gist of it =)

Interesting ideas, but I'm not sure if I could deal without any kind of map personally I also wouldn't say an MMO like that could never happen, because I have seen private servers for some games do some awesome things.

Anywho for those of us who haven't played some of those games (I'm such a newb to MMOs ) could you please explain: EQ1 death penalty, the "challenge" of EQ, SWG character advancement, L2 PvP rules and "open world that grows".

Playing:
    My Rig:

• RazimusRazimus Member UncommonPosts: 128

A perfect mmo for me is one that draws me in with a non-stop storyline that is consistant from beginning to end, I've yet to play a single mmorpg that has such a storyline, probably LOTR has it but I don't care for the movies so I doubt I'd care for the game... I'm looking for a story as good as the one I'm writing which I consider to be better than LOTR, yes arrogant opinion but nobody has read it yet except a select few so I wouldn't expect anyone here to believe me, it's just I really like in-depth storylines associated with complex quests and amazing pvp, good and evil options beyond anything any game has concieved of, and an attachment to ones character, the quests would be so complex it might take a month to complete a single one, and there would be few walkthroughs as all quests would be different for everyone, player housing and the threat of pk's around every corner in certain areas would add a great ammount to the RP aspect, roleplay being a standard and non RP-ers would be given only so many warnings before they would be re-named and/or deleted.

--- Razimus

Originally posted by Razimus

A perfect mmo for me is one that draws me in with a non-stop storyline that is consistant from beginning to end, I've yet to play a single mmorpg that has such a storyline, probably LOTR has it but I don't care for the movies so I doubt I'd care for the game... I'm looking for a story as good as the one I'm writing which I consider to be better than LOTR, yes arrogant opinion but nobody has read it yet except a select few so I wouldn't expect anyone here to believe me, it's just I really like in-depth storylines associated with complex quests and amazing pvp, good and evil options beyond anything any game has concieved of, and an attachment to ones character, the quests would be so complex it might take a month to complete a single one, and there would be few walkthroughs as all quests would be different for everyone, player housing and the threat of pk's around every corner in certain areas would add a great ammount to the RP aspect, roleplay being a standard and non RP-ers would be given only so many warnings before they would be re-named and/or deleted.

Sounds good to me except for month long quests (unless it had a great storyline and was near or at the end of the game) and pks only sound good to me if they are people around your level (unless there are no levels in your game ) I wouldn't hold out hope though, because there have been some single player RPGs that have pulled off great stories IMO =) 

Playing:
    My Rig:

Originally posted by sonicwhip

*ahem*
    guild wars 2
    release: 2009/2010
    better chance for a 2010 release.

Guild Wars isnt even really an MMORPG..... is GW2 going to be?

Grymm
    MMO addict in recovery!

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

That would be great.

ok this might take a bit of typing =) 

Eq death penalty- In EQ when you died two things happened... you lost at least several hours worth of EXP.... which was no joke.  Even more serious...your body and all your items are left wherever you died.  You had to form corpse runs to go get your bodies... but keep in mind unless you had a second set of gear in the bank you are naked and weaponless... trying to get back to a place that was bad enough to kill you in your best gear.  Usually you hooked up with another group that was going the same way... but since there were so many dungeons spread all over this wasnt  always easy.  If you didnt recover your items within a week or so they disappeared forever!  This made going deep into a dangerous place terrifying!

EQ style quests- In EQ quests were started with a text dialog from an NPC.  The NPC might say "I could really go for a <beer>"  You had to take the keyword that was in brackets and for a sentence to say back to the NPC in the /say channel....    so you type "Here you go my friend, have a beer!"... the NPC would then thank you for the beer and say something else with a bracket.  You had to form an intelligible sentence with the word.. you couldnt really cheat and just say "beer" and thats it.  It was very engaging.

EQ epic quests-  Eq epic quests were truly epic adventures for endgame characters to get a special weapon for your particular class.  The quests often took a month or more to complete and were very truly epic in scale and challenge... requiring full groups or even raids of max level people to help you.

Challenge!  Many played EQ for years without reaching max level... with the experience penalty upon death it was possible to play forever without making much progress if you were careless.  Monsters were challenging and it was easy to get yourself in trouble.

No MAPS!!!!  You had to learn your way around by landmarks... it made the world seem huge and intimidating... made you feel more like you were really there.  If something big and bad was chasing you you hoped like hell you were remembering the right direction to run in!

SWG- Allowed you to place your house nearly anywhere on certain planets... there were a variety of houses which could then be decorated with items either crafted or looted... display some of your old weapons and armor etc.  My house was amazing.. I wish I had a fraps of it.  Later they made player cities with elections for mayor and all.  It was great but they mostly felt abandoned since there were so many and players were spread so thin.... there were tons of NPC cities.. and even more player cities.

SWG character advancement:  Instead of picking a class you leveled up skills in whatever class trees you wanted.  There were a certain number of points you ultimately got to spend on skills so you couldnt possibly learn everything.  I was a Master Pistoleer/Expert Bounty Hunter.  You could mix and match however you wanted.  Also crafting was a whole game in itself and plenty of people played SWG with pure crafting/marketing toons who never killed a single thing!  They would set up a "house" and make it their shop.  Shops were searchable on the world maps.

L2 PvP rules:  You can attack anyone at any time, but doing so makes you a murderer.  This makes you a free target to any other players and makes guards aggro you.  You could work this off by killing evil stuff untill you made up for your murder... but tryign to actually accomplish this before a group of players found you and saw your name was red and ganked you was very difficult!  Also when players were killed they often dropped an item out of their inventory that the other players could loot and keep.

L2 growing map:  The L2 map isnt just an island with water all around it.... most of the edges of the map just fade out....  over time (with free expansions) the map gets bigger and bigger, giving you more land to explore.  L2 would be my choice MMO to play but its totally unpopulated at low level areas, you pretty much need two accounts to play, and the economy is a disaster.

Hope that answers most of your questions!

Grymm
    MMO addict in recovery!