Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Review of Atlantica Online

AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

On first glance of the web page and the launcher Atlantica looks like every other korean cash shop MMO, but once you start playing you will see a big difference. The game does not feel grindy, and is surprisingly fast paced- especially for a turn based game. I have played just about every F2P MMO from shaiya, perfect world, cabal online, rappelz. etc. to games like maple story.

Important: This game is turn-based, so before you keep reading you might want to check out this video to see it's play style. Just keep in mind it is very fast paced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mRjpT2qvgg&feature=related

^footage is from closed beta I believe.

If you don't watch the video- just think of the final fantasy games that weren't online, or most other classic RPGs. But the speed is much faster than the console games I believe.

================================

Atlantica Online was released October 30, 2008. It is set in the planet Earth, but with an alternate history, and is fantasy themed. There is only one race (human) which can be either gender, and seven different classes: Swordsman, Spearman, Viking, Archer, Gunner, Artilleryman, and Shaman. The game starts with you "in a dream" which is the tutorial on how to play. There are mounts, an auction house, mail box, and many other things that most MMOs have.

There is a cash shop, and I won't include this on the cons, because from what I've been told nothing there is required from it to get the full experience of the game, and everything you can buy on the cash shop can be obtained in game or traded in game.

There is also a stamina system where you start at 100 every day, and lose one point after each battle; except for certain battles. You get 3x the amount of experience, and 2x the amount of items with stamina. This has been implemented to discourage boting I believe, and everyone I've talked to says they don't even notice it (I didn't even know about it until I actually looked for it).

Pros:

- Tactical, turn based battles. Involves a lot of strategy, and it seems like every single fight feels different than the last. It's very fast paced even when in groups with other players. I played an MMO a while ago called Dofus, and one reason I quit was because fights could be so unbearably long while in a group. Battles are very fast and fluid.

- Mercenaries. Basically characters that you carry around and control in a party- makes most fights easy enough since you can essentially have a complete group with you at all times, and makes fights have more a lot more depth.

- Doesn't feel grindy. One of the biggest pros for me definitely. It only took me around an hour to reach level 10 (that's with me stumbling around like an idiot in a new world) and even in the beginning battles feel exciting and fresh. Always a lot to do as well, so you don't feel like you are being repetitive. Max level is either 100 or 120, and takes around what it takes to get to 70 in WoW I believe. Still somewhat of a grind, but at least it doesn't take days for each level, or is reliant on farming mobs vs. doing quests.

- Graphics/Sound/Server communication.

- The graphics are very beautiful IMO, more realistic than say WoW's art style, but a lot of fantasy type things in game.

- Music in the game is amazing to me so far; loving the sound track and I think it's different for each area and battle (but not 100% sure) some sounds in game can get repetitive, but not a huge deal.

- Server communication is great on my set up; as soon as I input any command I will instantly see the effect. Some games seem to have a problem with this, so I thought I would mention it.

- Community. Not only are there guilds in the game (which I will discuss more later) but there are things like "the mentor system" where a mentor can recruit peers (usually low level players) and there you can talk with peers and mentors about the game (like guild chat), and there is a list of your peers and mentors.

The tutorial and quests in game help a lot, but having a mentor system takes it to another level. The group I'm in everyone is so helpful and they all have answered my questions (no matter how stupid) and I even quest with people in my group that are around my level sometimes.

- Guilds. From what I hear guilds are evolving, and get better as they go being able to recruit more people and other things. Guilds can own towns, go to war with other guilds, have special buildings, and more.

- PvP. You can "compete", or duel, other players in the world and eventually you get to a point where you can enter PvP tournaments with rankings and prizes called the free league. I think there is an arena where players can compete, and other players can bet on the fights. There are also Guild vs. Guild fights, and Nation vs. Nation fights.

- Questing. A nice part about questing is that if you don't feel like reading the quest log and figuring it out yourself there is an arrow that will guide you were you need to be, and for most quests you can have it automatically run your character to the area of the quest. You can also teleport to where members of your party are as long as you have been to the place they are at. I'm not sure at this time whether or not you can share quests with other players.

- Game Info. The game info is a database built into the game that has information on everything in the game- you can also share information with other people. You can do things like put in the name of any NPC, or find them on the list, and have it auto run you to their location.

- Crafting. I haven't learned a lot about this yet, but from what I hear you can craft everything in the game. I know that when you start out you can do some limited crafting by making your weapons and armor better.

Cons:

- Quests. Although there are a few quests here or there that are different and somewhat interesting most quests are bland go kill X, or go talk to Y. Most of the story line is also bland, but some of it is good.

- UI. Very limited customization of the interface, and it feels very confined.

- Willpower. This is something you have to use to do some things in game like share skills or teleport. If it regenerated faster or there was some way to speed up the process I might not mind it so much, but I personally find it very annoying having to wait for it to regenerate so slowly.

- Death. When you die you usually lose EXP. You don't go back levels, and it doesn't take long to earn EXP, but it can be particularly frustrating on a tough boss, and it just isnt' a good feature for any game.

Also when your main character dies in a fight your mercenaries run and you can't keep fighting. Seems a little stupid to me, and takes away from the PvP experience somewhat... but I guess it makes PvP battles shorter anyway.

- Scrolls. They aren't terribly over powered or anything, but some fights can be made a lot easier with them, and some people are reliant on using them in PvP. It isn't game breaking and it adds some strategy in certain circumstances, but I feel like it cheapens some fights.

- Character appearance. Very limited on options for your character's appearance. Compromises on making your character look different from everyone else. Gear helps though.

- Graphics. They are pretty, but there are the occasional graphical "oopsies", and in a couple places it just isn't well done.

- Your character can't jump. Not a big deal for some, but I do enjoy jumping around.

Score: 8/10

===============================

Min requirements are:

CPU- Pentium 4 or better

RAM- 512MB or more

Video- 64MB or better, graphic card supporting vertex pixel shader

HDD- Free space of 5G or more.

Dirext X 9.0 or better.

http://support.ndoorsgames.com/KB/a2/minimum-system-requirements.aspx

Here's the game website if you are interested in trying it; It's about a 2 gig download.:

http://atlantica.ndoorsgames.com/center/default.asp

If you would like to join me I'm on the Thebes server, and my in game name is Aeroangel

--------------------------
Playing:
FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
My Rig:
GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

Comments

• kokoro-chinkokoro-chin Member Posts: 181

I like your review very much. I agree with you that the biggest pro of the game is that it doesn't feel grindy. I also definitely LOVE the auto-move function of the game that basically lets you complete quests much easier and even helps you in multi-tasking (since you can somewhat leave your character to do the workwhile you surf the net and stuff).

I also wish they would expand the character appearance options. It's true that gears help but almost all players can get all the gears in game and it still doesn't really make my character unique. I'm not sure how the devs can incorporate jumping, though... I guess I'm one of those 'no big deal' guys...

I'm not really playing too much PvP in the game but I do believe the scrolls usable in the game are quite limited. Only craftable scrolls can be used, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, if I happen to create character in Thebes, I'll try to look you up. I spend much of my time in Mycenae though I've just created another at Argos.

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

Thanks kokoro ^_^ 

Playing:
    My Rig:

• BOnz0BOnz0 Member Posts: 6

Yeah, they really need to increase character appearance options. Maybe even some way to change the appearance of your mercs?

And yes, alot of things need to be worked out with the PvP system.  But hey, it's a new game, and I'm staying optimistic. I think the game is going in the right direction, and I hope some of the missing continents will be added eventually.

Originally posted by BOnz0

Yeah, they really need to increase character appearance options. Maybe even some way to change the appearance of your mercs?
    And yes, alot of things need to be worked out with the PvP system.  But hey, it's a new game, and I'm staying optimistic. I think the game is going in the right direction, and I hope some of the missing continents will be added eventually.

Changing your mercs appearance is a great idea! The least they could do is make more character models for each merc.

I'm also staying optimistic for this game, because despite what they naysayers say I think the game looks good, and I'm having fun.

And on another note: Does anyone know if crafting skills are listed in Game Info? There are so many of them that it makes my head spin just looking at the list

Playing:
    My Rig:

• pateericpateeric Member Posts: 4

Something to add to the con list, I've been told You can't advance your main characters class like you can with your mercs, this is a little bit of a let down. at end game leveling/pvp it'll just be like FLAME SWORD while your mercs change appearences and use more indepth skills.

• JkoolerJkooler Member Posts: 66

Nice review am going to try it out tonight and see whut all the fuzz about! ill like to see a review of Aion from you. Kudous

A weapon doesn’t make a Warrior Legendary, Is the warrior who makes the weapon.

• BOnz0BOnz0 Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by pateeric

Something to add to the con list, I've been told You can't advance your main characters class like you can with your mercs, this is a little bit of a let down. at end game leveling/pvp it'll just be like FLAME SWORD while your mercs change appearences and use more indepth skills.

Nope. You're character changes appearances too, much more than your mercs. And its the other way around. AT higher levels, your main charater will be doing much more complicated moves than the merc version of your character.

I went to the website, and when you click choose class just gives you the basic classes, while if you click merc he is expanded into several different classes, and if you do more advanced skills, how do you obtain them and what are some of the names of the skills for the swordsman?

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

your main changes looks alot more and gets better indepth moves then your mercs.....

Thanks for clearing that up for us about main characters being able to advance in class just like mercs can BOnz0 and Frostbite05 .

I added one more con to my list about Willpower. It's not a huge deal, but I felt like it generates too slowly.

Also disappointed that banks are only used for money, but I'm going to refrain from adding item storage to my con list until I get farther in the game. I might just be missing something that's obvious.. someone told me about a warehouse you can purchase so I'm going to have to find out about that.

Playing:
    My Rig:

Again, can you give me some examples of the new skills and classes that you can advance to?

Again, can you give me some examples of the new skills and classes that you can advance to?

I'm not 100% on this yet, but I'm pretty sure all that happens is you improve your base line attributes (like vitality, intelligence, etc.) and possibly learn some new abilities. This along with your avatar looking different. I haven't been able to upgrade my class yet so I'm not the best person to answer =( 

Playing:
    My Rig:

I have another noob question, been looking thru the menu's and how do you update your stats like vitality and str etc? just thru the growth vials?

I have another noob question, been looking thru the menu's and how do you update your stats like vitality and str etc? just thru the growth vials?

I think that and leveling.

Playing:
    My Rig:

• shadow_51shadow_51 Member Posts: 35

At level 20 and level 50 all mercs can be upgraded in order to improve stats (not main char, he grows automatically)

• dt1984dt1984 Member Posts: 218

As a clarification, main  characters changes appearnce through equips as for mercenaries, you can only see the change in shield and weapon unless you upgrade them at level 20, 50, 80 and hero class.

For the stats, it automatically goes up once you level adn you can add more using growth vial. ^-^

For the spells, heroes get to learn class d mercenary spells and main user only exclusive spells.

Main characters doesn't branch out like other mercs such as exorcist becoming Michael, etc. Which is why threads in the atlantica main forum is asking for any possibilty that devs will add a branching of main character to different ones under the same weapon class.

You may see a lot of mercs under each weapon class in the game info but each item on the list to the left is a different mercenary that can be obtained at certain levels. For example, is the sword user. Under it, you can see sailor, swordsman, exorcist and lady knight. Each of those are different mercs all in all. Thes one to the right is their upgrade form.

I hope this one clarifies some of the questions.

Originally posted by dt1984

As a clarification, main  characters changes appearnce through equips as for mercenaries, you can only see the change in shield and weapon unless you upgrade them at level 20, 50, 80 and hero class.
    For the stats, it automatically goes up once you level adn you can add more using growth vial. ^-^
    For the spells, heroes get to learn class d mercenary spells and main user only exclusive spells.
    Main characters doesn't branch out like other mercs such as exorcist becoming Michael, etc. Which is why threads in the atlantica main forum is asking for any possibilty that devs will add a branching of main character to different ones under the same weapon class.
    You may see a lot of mercs under each weapon class in the game info but each item on the list to the left is a different mercenary that can be obtained at certain levels. For example, is the sword user. Under it, you can see sailor, swordsman, exorcist and lady knight. Each of those are different mercs all in all. Thes one to the right is their upgrade form.
    I hope this one clarifies some of the questions.

That does! Tyvm

Playing:
    My Rig:

• DrSpankyDrSpanky Member Posts: 341

I'm enjoying the heck out of this game! (Don't tell anyone though cause I know I'm not supposed to enjoy free mmo's that much ) It kind of reminds me of the old console RPG's I grew up on (which I loved).

It's a proven historical fact that beer saved humankind.

• repapipsrepapips Member Posts: 450

The economy system^^ it helps you earn gold because the market system lets you vend your items and leave it in order for you to play more... the gold youve earn in selling items will transfer automatically to your bank…

• fherdzfherdz Member Posts: 33

Atlantica is a very promising game. The gameplay is really solid and the storyline is quite impressive. The turn based system really gives you the opportunity to strategize and think about your next action. It is really a turning point in the mmorpg community. Unlike the usual “hack and slash” genre that most mmorpg offer, Atlantica’s turn based system is very unique. In addition to that, choosing the right kind of mercenaries really adds the challenge in the game. Graphics are like other mmorpg like Lineage 2, RF online etc. It does need a good video card and the cost may hurt the consumer but it is all worth it because games nowadays are requiring good to high end video cards so might as well buy a new card. The only thing that a beginner player will worry about is the whisper system in the game. I had trouble whispering the other players because it always says “unable to whisper because the other player can’t whisper” or something like that. Other than that, it is very easy to play its like players are being spoon fed. There is an auto-move button where in your character goes directly to the quest making it time saving for all players who don’t know where to go.

The real challenge in Atlantica is getting the best equipments for your party. The upgrading system of the game is not an easy task. You have to hunt boxes that enchant your equipments (give them added attack or added def.) I think the safety limit for enchanting your equipments is up only up to +3, there is a high chance that your equipment might be broken if you tend to enchanting it up to +4. As far as getting the equipments in the game, I only know that you get these weapons and armors from the spirit boxes that the enemies usually drop. I have to further investigate the game if monsters can drop equipments and not only the spirit boxes.

The game only started a few weeks ago and yet Players are very active and I’ve seen a lot of players playing the game. I’m sure that Atlantica is on its way to being one of the most popular mmorpg to date. I am confident that more and more players are joining the game.

• wrathshieldwrathshield Member UncommonPosts: 39

Growth vials - randomly up a stat on you or your mercs - remember growth vials have usage levels Beg, Int, Adv....save your Int and Adv ones because you get to a level where you can no longer use the Beg(inner) ones.  I used up 5 Int(ermediate) ones back when I got them out of a treasure chest when I still should have been using Beg ones.  Now I have a stack of 100 Beg ones that I can't use on any of my mercs (well I can use them when I get a new merc for the first 20 levels anyway)

Rings you can craft or buy will also help up your stats.

Warehouse in Rome which you can teleport to at level 20 for free(uses will of course but no gold) gives you an additional 20-25 storage spots although I have never counted them.  Never-the-less, I have every warehouse spot full, I have 9 characters (mercs and hero) and I probably have maybe 10 total open spots for storage.  The cash shop sells a permanent extra inventory spot that I am contemplating purchasing.  When I open 30 equipment boxes, enhance/plus everything I can up, and then I am stuck with 18 pieces of equipment that I know I will use and need to plus some more, they take quite a bit of inventory space.  

Anyway, I like your review, I am having a ball playing AO and I would rank it as my favorite MMO to date but that is just me since I am old, have a wife, a stressful job, kids old enough to be gaming, and playing MMOs is my chill time away from the stressful work world.  

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

A good review.  I've seen several people say that this is another asian grind game.  This isn't true at all, glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks that.  My only disagreement with you is in the graphics department.  You have them listed as a Con.  I personally love the graphics, but I think you're talking about the good old pink panties glitch.  Other than that, I would have to give graphics a 9 or 10.    And your Crafting Pro, you can craft almost everything as far as weapons and such go, except there are several weapons that are drop only, but you won't have to worry about that until around level 100

Review of your Review 10/10