Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Player to MMO's Friendly Class

zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Ok just let me start off by saying,I am making this post more for my wife and not I. Shes fairly new to MMO's (a dash of FF11 and a hint of WoW).What class(s) are new player friendly/easy on the learning curve?

Comments

• WraithZeroWraithZero Member Posts: 2

There's two that one should definitely avoid, lore-master and burglar. Those are also the heavy Crowd Control classes.

Champ is probably easiest, with Guard and minstrel behind.

• WuppiecatWuppiecat Member UncommonPosts: 3

Without a shadow of a doubt hunter is the easiest (and fastest) to level in LOTRO, a hunter can dish out big damage almost right from the get go and has the "get out of jail free card" Desperate Flight* skill if things get hairy.  Hunters get a constant speed buff and later on the ability to move quickly about the game world with port skills which speeds many quests up.  Take the Explorer vocation and you have a character that move around quickly and can harvest all the key raw craft resources - an ideal first character I would say.

Having said all that I don't think there is a single class to truly "avoid" if your wife has even minimal MMO experience.

* Insta port skill to a safe zone

• MyPreciousssMyPreciousss Member Posts: 427
    Originally posted by Wuppiecat

Without a shadow of a doubt hunter is the easiest (and fastest) to level in LOTRO, a hunter can dish out big damage almost right from the get go and has the "get out of jail free card" Desperate Flight* skill if things get hairy.  Hunters get a constant speed buff and later on the ability to move quickly about the game world with port skills which speeds many quests up.  Take the Explorer vocation and you have a character that move around quickly and can harvest all the key raw craft resources - an ideal first character I would say.
    Having said all that I don't think there is a single class to truly "avoid" if your wife has even minimal MMO experience.

with Wuppie, I'm playing only guardian, but voted for hunter.

Trouble with guardian is it's a bit hard to solo imo and you'll get pressure and responsability when fellowshipping, you're supposed to protect, take the aggro, make the good decisions, stand and run quick in front, and everyone can see what you're doing (better be a social player in this case). You must be quick on keys and visual things too because you're in melee and it can get confusing.

A hunter is better for an unexperienced player in a group, he can follow others, dps reasonably, have a better overview from a distance, and take his time, and apart from shooting too hard/quick or the bad target he shouldn't endanger his fellows/himself.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

another hunter vote, either that or champion. Minstrels and guardians have too much responsibility in a fellowship , burgs and LM's are a bit tricky to play at first and I have zero experiance with captains so I can't even give any opinion there.

I miss DAoC

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by MyPreciousss

Originally posted by Wuppiecat

with Wuppie, I'm playing only guardian, but voted for hunter.

Trouble with guardian is it's a bit hard to solo imo and you'll get pressure and responsability when fellowshipping, you're supposed to protect, take the aggro, make the good decisions, stand and run quick in front, and everyone can see what you're doing (better be a social player in this case). You must be quick on keys and visual things too because you're in melee and it can get confusing.

A hunter is better for an unexperienced player in a group, he can follow others, dps reasonably, have a better overview from a distance, and take his time, and apart from shooting too hard/quick or the bad target he shouldn't endanger his fellows/himself.

Actually, Guardian is extremely easy to solo. That is why I ended up playing one (over Champion which was going to be my class in closed beta).

Now, it might take a bit to kill someting but you can do it and do it very well.

Having said that, you are correct in that you become a sort of focal point of the group as you are essentially the linchpin that holds it together. A lot of responsibility there.

So, Hunter then Champion methinks.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KajerKajer Member Posts: 1

But the question was for a "new player".

Guardian is easy to start off.  With Hunter, you have to figure out how to handle that extra mob.  With a Guardian, you just let em all whack on you while you kill them all one by one.

No hard skills to figure out how to put to use at first.  Simple for a first time player.

Champion is simple too.  Just click on skill buttons and kill everything in sight until you run out of power.

Sorry, I only solo.  That finding your niche in a group at higher levels just takes experience and you will figure out what you like or are good at on your own.  Or when everyone yells, "You suck as a (fill in the blank)!

Originally posted by Kajer

But the question was for a "new player".
      Guardian is easy to start off.  With Hunter, you have to figure out how to handle that extra mob.  With a Guardian, you just let em all whack on you while you kill them all one by one.
      No hard skills to figure out how to put to use at first.  Simple for a first time player.
      Champion is simple too.  Just click on skill buttons and kill everything in sight until you run out of power.
      Sorry, I only solo.  That finding your niche in a group at higher levels just takes experience and you will figure out what you like or are good at on your own.  Or when everyone yells, "You suck as a (fill in the blank)!

After replying to this thread I went and made a hunter just to check it's ease of use.

For a new player it seems pretty easy. I don't see that they would have a problem with it. You only get three skills in the first place until later levels. Plenty of time to learn the ins and outs.

Besides, being whacked on and dying is ok as it makes you learn what you can and can't do.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

thank ya'll fer the input

• RavbekRavbek Member Posts: 11

The problem with letting new people play hunters is that they tend to annoy people by getting too much agro...a good hunter has to have a certain amount in finesse....

Although when not grouping that's not a problem and they are probably the easiest class to level.

Ravbek, LOTRO Snowbourn
    Ravbek, DDO retired
    Tav Bek, SoG/DnL pah!!
    Tavin Bek, SWG retired

Servants of the Istari

• bokononlivesbokononlives Member Posts: 1

My wife and I duo'd are way to lvl 50 and had a blast.  I couldn't believe she actually stuck with it (she dabbled in FFXI but really isn't an MMO fan) .  Let that be testament to Turbine's ability to craft an immersive game lol.   She played a Guardian while I played a champion.   As other's have said, Guardian can get a bit demanding for group play so keep that in mind.   But the Guardians ability to survive can go a long way when soloing.  But yeah either Champion, Hunter, or Guardian are all good choices.   If she likes ranged attacks then obviously the choice is Hunter.  They also get that cool teleport and tracking system :)  Enjoy your time in Middle Earth together.

• WuppiecatWuppiecat Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by solareus

I think a guardian is the easiest, you will hit a hard wall with a hunter solo wise where he can't punch through alone. With my Guardian I have went from 1-49 solo 75% of the time.  Guardian can take tons fo damage, and if you have a healer you can use 2handed weapon for dps.
    Guardian also gets heavey armor at level 15 so that makes a good different , if it is your "wifes"  first character.

I never hit a wall on my hunter although she did level after Forochel was added which made a significant difference to solo leveling. 

My first character to 50 was a Guardian and I still log him to take on elites for shard hunting etc but he certainly wouldn't be my recommendation to someone new as a first character to level in LOTRO not because of any difficult play but he was slower to level than my Hunter.

New friendly doesn't have to mean solo only friendly either, a big part of MMOs (IMHO) is group play and sometimes people need encouragement to join groups - if you could solo everything it may as well be an "offline game" (again IMHO).

Now if you are leveling together, husband and wife, I may choose differently.  Guardian + LoreMaster is an awesome pairing (having done this with a friend new to MMOs, I played the LM) between the two you have a tank, healer, CC and decent dps - not much below an EM can ruin your day, aside from a veryyy bad pull ofc

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by bokononlives

My wife and I duo'd are way to lvl 50 and had a blast.  I couldn't believe she actually stuck with it (she dabbled in FFXI but really isn't an MMO fan) .  Let that be testament to Turbine's ability to craft an immersive game lol.   She played a Guardian while I played a champion.   As other's have said, Guardian can get a bit demanding for group play so keep that in mind.   But the Guardians ability to survive can go a long way when soloing.  But yeah either Champion, Hunter, or Guardian are all good choices.   If she likes ranged attacks then obviously the choice is Hunter.  They also get that cool teleport and tracking system :)  Enjoy your time in Middle Earth together.

LOL FFXI was the First MMO my wife Dabbled in,as well {grins}.

Originally posted by TavinBek

The problem with letting new people play hunters is that they tend to annoy people by getting too much agro...a good hunter has to have a certain amount in finesse....

Although when not grouping that's not a problem and they are probably the easiest class to level.

I can't disagree that they require finesse, but at the same time they are a point and shoot class.

All the classes .. hmm... "most" of the classes require the player to be spot on in certain ways.

Guardians you can't lose the encounter (sigh, can be very hard at times), Minstrels you have to be on with your morale building (heals) but also have to watch for aggro, Burglars you have a lot to do and a lot to juggle.

I would suggest Champion because it is another "kill them all" class, but my experience with one in closed and open beta was that I took too much damage for soloing.

However, it is an easier class to play.