Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High Population Server

zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

I've decided to get back into FF 11, and its been about 3years since I have played. Was wondering if anyone had info on what server(s) have a high Population.

Comments

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by zaylin

I've decided to get back into FF 11, and its been about 3years since I have played. Was wondering if anyone had info on what server(s) have a high Population.

Hey there..

Well, Odin I know has a high population because since the Limit Break Radio podcast is "stationed" there, a bunch of people transferred to that server.

Umm... As far as I know, other servers have comparable populations, though a couple I've heard have a lower pop. Maybe someone could elaborate on that more.

I'm on Pandemonium which seems to average between 1500-2500, depending on time of day/night. The 2500 periods are during that cross-over between the US and EU/Japan play times.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• NoimiNoimi Member Posts: 76

Lakshmi can be anywhere from 1000-3000 people at a time (though, more often 1000-2000) but I'm fairly certain due to the popularity of the game in other regions it'd be hard to find a server with a playerbase lower then 1000 members.

• anastaiaanastaia Member Posts: 55

yep Lakshmi is pretty ok, and if you can find me  ill help you out :D

broken, missing, the torment of
    my soul...

• NarsheNarshe Member Posts: 563

Odin and Bahamut have high populations.

Waiting for Fallen Earth, World of Darkness, Old Republic, FFXIV

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by WSIMike

Hey there..

Well, Odin I know has a high population because since the Limit Break Radio podcast is "stationed" there, a bunch of people transferred to that server.

Umm... As far as I know, other servers have comparable populations, though a couple I've heard have a lower pop. Maybe someone could elaborate on that more.

I'm on Pandemonium which seems to average between 1500-2500, depending on time of day/night. The 2500 periods are during that cross-over between the US and EU/Japan play times.

BTW I really liked your Posts on the thread "How is FF11 holding up?" and  there was one other about WOTG where you made some good points.

thank you Noimi, anastaia, Narshe, and  WSIMike for your posts much apprecitated.

• MarigrimMarigrim Member Posts: 4

Hi and welcome back to FFXI for starters :) I was surprised to see  no one who from Odin replied to this post so I created this account to do just that. I found this post when I was looking for server info due to the fact I myself am leaving Odin. Yes beyond any doubts Odin is the most populated server in FFXI, the economy and many players ability to play is being choked to death by this influx  of new ppl wanting to be members of the "most popular" server in FFXI. It's so full of people it is becoming nearly impossible to continue the game as you would be able to in a balanced environment . Think about it like this.. there is only so much "material" a server has in it - like NM's needed for quests camps in popular lvling areas item drop NM's and etc. The respawn times on these NM's lvling monsters and etc.  were set based off of the fact servers are made to accomidate a certain number of players what happens when that number is double or triple that number? Things become scarce and others become nearly impossible. Take certain pieces of equipment players use as income what happens when on the norm there should be 1 - 2 posted in the free market AH, and you need some gil and go to post that item to find 30 (or more)posted. Good for the buyer but the price has gone insane meaning less money for the poster less for the economy and all and  all less in fair circulation. Odin is survivng due to RMTing atm - without the gil buyers (and the older players that saved gil during the economy inflation who carry around hundreds of millions from the time 12 fire crystals were 10k) without the normal trying to get by players that buy gil the economy would die out completely. I retired after 4 years of play recently due to this. I can't bring myself to 1 commit more money to this game XD and 2 to destroy what I worked so long and hard to do, if I take 10 minutes to buy gil I killed the 2 months it took me to farm up the same amount making to me my efforts in vain. It got to the point it was nearly impossible to do simple things like farming so I felt it was about time to retire was a good run. I post this so you understand the real situation in Odin right now, oh it's populated all right - have fun entering a race against everyone else with the same opinion "the most populated server will be fun!" for every new friend you'll make just as many enemies just trying to get by. I'm not warding you away from Odin, I welcome any and everyone with a good positive attitude, I just don't want you to be shocked when you really get back into the game and realize oh **** what was I thinking when you see the problems over population can cause. That and not hearing from people who's server was taken from them and ripped to shreds due to popularity - in my opinion it wasn't fair to us to have to deal with it... so for me to come back and survive in the game without having to RMT I have to leave my friends behind, how would you feel?   Please don't take this post as an insult or a personal attack to anyone wanting to have ppl to play with, I know the feeling I just wanted you to be forwarned. Take care and please enjoy your return to FFXI, may your return bring you unforgettable adventures and more so unforgettable friends. ~ Mari

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

intresting points....but I guess im a little confused.From what I remember, a high populations server(s) back about 3years ago had about 3000 or so daily, and around 4,000-6,000+ at peak times...now  1600/2800-3500. I have seen a LOT less people running around than before when I played, like Bastok Market (lol where i spent a good amount of time myself) Full of  People..but now its like 1/3 or so of what I remember...I guess what im trying to figure out is how the population now is having the effects you state they are....im intriuged.

it is as simple as paying the $25 to transfer. *sigh* if you're trying to start a debate you're starting in the wrong place, I am sure you know population has nothing to do with how many people are logged in at one time, if it were more or less odin would be doing well except for the moring hours when there are 6k people on for around an hour before most people go to bed - people who are not online affect the economy as well you know... the auction house doesn't stop when you log out... etc.. nor does the mark your presence has on the server it's people and the economy unfortunately. I decided to keep my leave of FFXI like I explained it was a good run for me I had a blast; and never once did I ward you away from odin and nor did I attempt to debate with you about it. I explained what thousands of Odins original players would tell you nicely politely and respectfully. You (bringing up an invalid point about current online population in a failed attempt at witty sarcasm) are trying to drag me into a debate for 5 minutes of MMORPG forum posting fame, I am sorry I decline, and as a matter of fact will declare you the winner - you win because I lack the fortitude to have the debate in the first place. I wish you all the best in your future adventures across Vana'diel - whether it's Odin, Garuda, Siren, w/e. You asked for the opinions and thoughts of anyone who might read your post, I offered my thoughts and that was that. Maybe you should have requested to debate with someone because even though you are requesting information you actually already know everything, but you want to make sure the rest of the internet community is as sharp witted and prepared as you are. Touche` I suppose I never did learn to read between the lines. In the future for poor ignorant people such as myself make your debate intentions clear so us that are educated beyond our intelligence are sure to keep our unfounded comments to ourselves.

to everyone who might happen across this message and find it more than was needed (before the person I am more or less talking to deletes it)

I wanted to email this message but I couldn't even remember what the password on my account was, so I had to use the original email to even get this open to reply so I know the reply may seem lengthy off topic and directed at the author and for that forgive me but I had to rebute at least once, to defend myself my opinions my experiences and above all my server. Everyone who sits and reads this please accept my apology. To the person who started this post I say this: I will not reply again so please feel free to delete this reply insult me debase what I have said w/e you like I refuse to debate though I had to defend myself just once. I still have my account, I will never stop payment on it though I have essentially retired, I still pop in to say hello from time to time, if your travels (and your wallet for the $25 fee) find you in odin I would be more than happy to help you settle in. Anyway this was my final post take care and good luck no matter what direction your return takes you.

Mari~

After re-reading your reply (and a 10 minute debate with my b/f about it) I think I may have read more into what you said than I originally thought. This is an ademum to that post - if what you said wasn't in sarcasm please accept my most humble apology... I am truely now unsure if your post was a question true pure and innocent or was it dripping with the saracm I originally suspected. Either way my post was far more harsh than I originally intended it to be and is in essence exactly what I thought you were trying to do to me - an open attack on what was said. Please forgive me and delte it if you can. I seriously over did it this I assure you will be my last post, and the last time I read it again I am sorry and again I reiterate and request you forgive my transgression.

To anyone else who reads this please don't think too ill of me I may have misread what I thought was an attack.. but I reserve to think that only a possibilty you may have indeed been trying to openly attack my thoughts but I degress again.

Please go not too harshly upon my zeal to defend myself my thoughts and my server, thank you for reading this and for the final time I am sorry.

~Mari 

intresting points....but I guess im a little confused.From what I remember, a high populations server(s) back about 3years ago had about 3000 or so daily, and around 4,000-6,000+ at peak times...now  1600/2800-3500. I have seen a LOT less people running around than before when I played, like Bastok Market (lol where i spent a good amount of time myself) Full of  People..but now its like 1/3 or so of what I remember...I guess what im trying to figure out is how the population now is having the effects you state they are....im intriuged.

Hmm... I don't recall the servers having that high of a population.. Though, to be fair, I never really paid that close attention to it :-p. There's always been plenty of people for me to party with, get to know and have fun. My friends list has always been pretty full.

That said, for the past 3-4 years at least, FFXI has maintained right around 500k players. You can check out the Vana'diel Census SE puts out each year (they just put a new one out not too long ago), and it shows FFXI's population holding steady.

So... It may well have had a much higher population back when it was still new to the US and elsewhere outside of Japan. But, as with any game - especially one as niche as FFXI - eventually the population does settle down and level off.

I do see where it could be a problem to have a server with a near capacity population. The increased competition over resources, the potential performance hits in populated areas (Lower Jeuno AH and Whitegate, anyone?), and so on. This is why I would personally never go to Odin.

It may not have 3-4k populations, but in my time playing the game, Pandemonium has always had enough players to make it enjoyable.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

Originally posted by WSIMike

Hey there..

BTW I really liked your Posts on the thread "How is FF11 holding up?" and  there was one other about WOTG where you made some good points.

thank you Noimi, anastaia, Narshe, and  WSIMike for your posts much apprecitated.

Cheers!

Thank you for the kind words. I try my best to keep things informative and fair. Hence why I'm quick to go after and clarify or correct posters who mis-state things, blatantly make things up, cite way out-dated information, etc.

So... thanks again :)

As much as I wanted to leave this thread with the thoughts I have posted I couldn't help pointing this out.

There is a new odin only emigration due to the economy bursting the index at last look was 1% and dropping.   I hope you accept the facts more than you accepted my person views.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Please some one please let me know which server has the highest population. I play in Seraph our population is

US Non peek times- 700-800 players

US Peek times- 1400-1800

JP Normal times 700-900

JP Peek times 1500-2100

Seriously iv had this server at this low population for over a year now >.<

When I don't play in JP times which is most of the time I find it very hard to get a group Especially on weekdays. Last night I was trying to get G3 done with a group of lvl 60 new players, with my second character and It took me 3 hours to find a mage to help. There were only about 900 players online at around 5pm last night. By the time we finished (We didnt get to the ??? BUT I did get the orb... so ill prob finish today solo) By the time we finished I re checked the server population it was up to 1300 players online.... Which is really not good Imo..this is on a Monday night.

• oskaterooskatero Member Posts: 6

odin is 2600-3500 at US/JP peak time

I may consider moving to Odin anyone else? Any larger servers maybe like 4000 players peek times ^_^

4000 players US peek times? Anyone <.<?

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553

There is something i think needs to be said.  For those who just absolutely want to go find the highest population server there are some things you need to keep in mind outside of just finding parties and doing missions/quests.

More people increase your chances of party.  It also greatly increases the chance of any/all party spots are taken which means you gotta go somewhere either A.) New and/or B.) Untested.  This can lead to becoming frustrated and dead or both.  

More people increase your chance of getting help when you need to kill a NM.  It also greatly increases the chance of that NM being heavily camped as well.  And there are some that are almost a requirement for their drops and i dont know about you i'd rather fight 3-4 other people than 10 others on an NM that could take 2-20 hours to spawn and isn't 100% drop rate either.

More people increase your chances of your items being sold quickly.  It also greatly increases the number of items being sold period and you will run across lower prices on the lower gear and having to undercut and undercut as you keep getting out sold.

I say all this as just a few examples of drawbacks to this mentality people seem to have that "More is better".  About 2000-2500 during peak times already starts causing issues for partying spots and i cant imagine what 4000 can do.  I highly suggest people check out other servers before thinking "Oh, this has more people on it so i'm going there".  That's a bad mindset to have as resources in this game are not nearly as abundant as other games you might be coming from (WoW for example) and will make it harder later to fight over them.  And trust me, it gets quite personal sometimes.

Am I saying Odin is bad because it's got a huge population?  Not at all.  But you have to realize that for every plus there is a minus.  I'd rather find a better balance than an easy solution.  I play on Bismarck, we generally have about 2200-2300 on weekends and about 1200-1500 during the week on a very steady pace.  We dont generally have a "peak" time as i think we are almost evenly divided between JP/NA/EU players.

So please, people, look at more than just a population when you are choosing your home.  This game is never going to be that simple and choosing your home is no different. 

Servers I play/played on that i would reccomend: Ifrit, Bismarck, Pandamonium.  Just be careful on Pandy as there is this Mithra that runs around and annoys the hell out of low level players.  She's generally seen around Windy.  Just be careful around her.  lol  (That mithra knows who they are.)

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

• curiindicuriindi Member Posts: 488

I wouldn't worry about being in a server with no one to play with. I've played in three servers and I've never had problems with low population, but I've "heard" of a few things.

I've heard that although Odin has the highest population, it's also dominated by Japanese players - members of Famitsu, a very popular gaming magazine, play in Odin. This may not be good for players looking for servers with more western player presence.

I've heard that among all the servers, Ramuh, Ifrit, and Titan have the lowest population of non-Japanese players. I've also heard that Carbuncle, Shiva, and Valefor have the least active community forums. I'm not sure if any of this is true since it's pretty easy to find players from every server if you join a FFXI forum.

Originally posted by Suplyndmnd

There is something i think needs to be said.  For those who just absolutely want to go find the highest population server there are some things you need to keep in mind outside of just finding parties and doing missions/quests.

More people increase your chances of party.  It also greatly increases the chance of any/all party spots are taken which means you gotta go somewhere either A.) New and/or B.) Untested.  This can lead to becoming frustrated and dead or both.  
    More people increase your chance of getting help when you need to kill a NM.  It also greatly increases the chance of that NM being heavily camped as well.  And there are some that are almost a requirement for their drops and i dont know about you i'd rather fight 3-4 other people than 10 others on an NM that could take 2-20 hours to spawn and isn't 100% drop rate either.
    More people increase your chances of your items being sold quickly.  It also greatly increases the number of items being sold period and you will run across lower prices on the lower gear and having to undercut and undercut as you keep getting out sold.

I say all this as just a few examples of drawbacks to this mentality people seem to have that "More is better".  About 2000-2500 during peak times already starts causing issues for partying spots and i cant imagine what 4000 can do.  I highly suggest people check out other servers before thinking "Oh, this has more people on it so i'm going there".  That's a bad mindset to have as resources in this game are not nearly as abundant as other games you might be coming from (WoW for example) and will make it harder later to fight over them.  And trust me, it gets quite personal sometimes.
    Am I saying Odin is bad because it's got a huge population?  Not at all.  But you have to realize that for every plus there is a minus.  I'd rather find a better balance than an easy solution.  I play on Bismarck, we generally have about 2200-2300 on weekends and about 1200-1500 during the week on a very steady pace.  We dont generally have a "peak" time as i think we are almost evenly divided between JP/NA/EU players.
    So please, people, look at more than just a population when you are choosing your home.  This game is never going to be that simple and choosing your home is no different. 
    Servers I play/played on that i would reccomend: Ifrit, Bismarck, Pandamonium.  Just be careful on Pandy as there is this Mithra that runs around and annoys the hell out of low level players.  She's generally seen around Windy.  Just be careful around her.  lol  (That mithra knows who they are.)

Good points, all. I've always thought the idea of the highest population server  being the best is a bit overrated - and over-stated.

I've been on Pandemonium since I started playing and aside from the rare off-day, I've never had trouble finding a party, getting access to resources, etc.

As Suply said, a high population server is great in terms of "more people to group with". It also translates into "more players to compete against" in terms of NM spawns, camping spots, etc. So there is a balance there.

As for that trouble-making Mithra... I shall dilligently defend my domain from such dastardly deviants!!

>.>