Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Fanfest: Walking In Stations

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

MMORPG.com is at this year's EVE FanFest and yesterday the kind folks at CCP gave us a presentation on the highly anticipated upcoming Walking In Stations feature, releasing some information that we knew, and even some that we didn't.

Yesterday at EVE FanFest, members of the press were given a presentation on the upcoming "Walking in Stations" feature for EVE Online that will see players of the sci-fi sandbox game able to step out of their ships for the first time to interact, do business and socialize in a more conventional way, through their 3D avatars.

While we still do not have a definitive launch date for the feature, we have seen progress made even since we last spoke to the folks at CCP about it at this year's Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany and progress is moving forward.

When the game was first conceptualized in 1999, the small team's goal had been to create an online environment that would allow players to take part in an experience that was reminiscent of a classic sci-fi movie. Technology at the time being what it was and the team being as small in size as it was then, the early developers had to settle for the original ships-only design.

Read more Walking in Stations with EVE Online.

Comments

• XantheousXantheous Member Posts: 121

Good article thank you for going to Fanfest for us, I look foward to the expansion. (You double posted teh article I think.)

• MaudridMaudrid Member Posts: 1

Yes double post.

• GoparuGoparu Member UncommonPosts: 18

Nothing new, yet.

• DavodDavod Member UncommonPosts: 44

Been looking forward to this for ages!

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

How very interesting.Any guesses on  when these thing might actually be in the game ?

• DanagDanag Member UncommonPosts: 67

Did I miss a link, or is there no new footage available yet, of this upcoming expansion? Would be nice to see what type of progress they've made since the last time we were given some video-footage, :)

-
    Danag

• GrifinGrifin Member Posts: 91

Starting to sound like a game in the game,I like the concept.

make it really useful.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

While I think it is a good addtion to the game, it is really not a highly sought  feature.  I think the playerbase is more interested in new ships and areas.

True, in my case at least. Though it does sound like it'll add to the game, and what I do in-game, I'd quickly pass on this expansion if it meant I would have more fun pew-pewing things, or exploring new areas of space.

I'd even pass on the Walking-expansion if it meant simple things, such as less-static "backgrounds" for the existing systems in New Eden, or the long-asked-for "training queue" where-in players could at least queue-up _one_ skill to train once our current skill is complete, or a "default skill" to fall-over to whenever your current skill-training completes. (poke poke, nudge nudge)   

-
    Danag

• Nu11u5Nu11u5 Member Posts: 597

Quick post..

Walking in Stations presentation videos found on EVE forums (thanks Sandreia)

Part 1
    Part 2

and now Part 3

//insert sig here
  • MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

While I think it is a good addtion to the game, it is really not a highly sought  feature.  I think the playerbase is more interested in new ships and areas.

you would be wrong.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Originally posted by Nu11u5
    Quick post..Walking in Stations presentation videos found on EVE forums (thanks Sandreia)Part 1
    Part 2and now Part 3

Hrm.. Seems the links for Part 2 and Part 3 are the same?

-
    Danag

• ctd1500ctd1500 Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by Danag

Hrm.. Seems the links for Part 2 and Part 3 are the same?

Here's the proper link to Part 3.

Looks very nice so far... I'd still trade it all for a skill-training queue, LOL :)

-
    Danag

• XrayzapoteroXrayzapotero Member Posts: 19

Th. Exp. is just going 2 be über!!!

• KravisKravis Member UncommonPosts: 186

Here is another:

Oops, sorry that was 07. Don't you think it's time to either put up or shut up? Love the game but one of it's biggest downfalls is the vaporware and the dev teams ability to hype said vaporware.

If you think that's neat try this one:

Atmospheric Flight Demo 06'

Originally posted by Kravis
    Here is another:
    sorry that was 07. Don't you think it's time to either put up or shut up? Love the game but one of it's biggest downfalls is the vaporware and the dev teams ability to hype said vaporware.If you think that's neat try this one: Flight Demo 06'

Yup.. I remember that one.. The Atmospheric Flight one was one of my favorites... Almost forgot all about it...

Ok.. I change my voice.. I'll pass on the Walk-in-station expansion for the Atmospheric-flight expansion! LOL :)

-
    Danag

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

Sick of hearing about it : Just show us already.

• BanteelBanteel Member Posts: 4

WoW er i mean Eve that looks nice.    After seeing those videos I may renew my subscription after they've done all the updates, to see how it looks. I haven't played in like over a year so I haven't seen the new skins and textures update either.

I'll be looking forward to this and watching the news anticipating the arrival.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Athmospheric flight has been put on hold a long time ago. Iirc, the dev who explained it wrote that other projects were deemed a lot more important, and thus athmospheric flight is still in prototype stage.
    From what i know, it proved to be a lot more complicated to actually integrate it into eve in a meaningful way. Making a feature that has absolutely no effect on anything but visuals is wasted development time.

• DavodDavod Member UncommonPosts: 44

Cant see how training queues will be good for the game, would be far to easy to level and never loose a second of training. Just lame.

I my self and several of my friends sees Walking on stations as the perfect expansion, far better then anything else and more important.

Why? Because we think the game should have a more evolved social aspect, and more "mindless fun" in it.

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

Links to Higher qulity vids:

WiS1 : http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/47964

SecWars Demo: http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/47963

Enlighten Demo: http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/47962

Enjoy!

• KravisKravis Member UncommonPosts: 186

Originally posted by batolemaeus
    Athmospheric flight has been put on hold a long time ago. Iirc, the dev who explained it wrote that other projects were deemed a lot more important, and thus athmospheric flight is still in prototype stage.
    From what i know, it proved to be a lot more complicated to actually integrate it into eve in a meaningful way. Making a feature that has absolutely no effect on anything but visuals is wasted development time.

LOL, they used resources to develop that demo and showed it at Fanfest 06' (I think) and they had NO clue of what gaming mechanics to make it useful for players? Talk about putting the cart before the horse. I am sure if they opened a dialog with the players on it's uses they would have received a plethora of thoughts on how to use the technology.

Atmospheric Flight was used as only one example of dev hyped vaporware, I do have more if you like. The Ambulation carrot is once again dangled and yet we have no release date or exactly what game mechanics they are trying to attain in it's initial release. Maybe we will get these details towards the end of FanFest but I have my doubts. What we have is yet another tech demo, which is dangerous. Dangerous for CCP that they could raise the expectation of Ambulation to levels that if/when they do release it will fail to meet the expectations THEY nurtured over the years. We already have people running around thinking Quantum Rise is the initial release.

I am ecstatic with some of the videos released by attendees, the SecWar video that CK put up looks really cool:
    http://www.crazykinux.com/2008/11/walking-in-station-videos-eve-fanfest.html

However, so did the Atmospheric Flight demo and look where that ended up. The bottom line, they need to detail the goals of the initial release, right now it's anyone's guess. Finally, they need to talk target dates for Singularity testing and not "soon" or "it's coming in 09'".

My last thoughts, I promise. Last week CCP Zulupark opened this thread:
    http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=905941
    All questions regarding Ambulation were tabled for FanFest. I just hope the many questions people have can finally get answered and not end up in yet another blackhole of no information for months.

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by Kravis

Originally posted by batolemaeus

LOL, they used resources to develop that demo and showed it at Fanfest 06' (I think) and they had NO clue of what gaming mechanics to make it useful for players? Talk about putting the cart before the horse. I am sure if they opened a dialog with the players on it's uses they would have received a plethora of thoughts on how to use the technology.

Atmospheric Flight was used as only one example of dev hyped vaporware, I do have more if you like. The Ambulation carrot is once again dangled and yet we have no release date or exactly what game mechanics they are trying to attain in it's initial release. Maybe we will get these details towards the end of FanFest but I have my doubts. What we have is yet another tech demo, which is dangerous. Dangerous for CCP that they could raise the expectation of Ambulation to levels that if/when they do release it will fail to meet the expectations THEY nurtured over the years. We already have people running around thinking Quantum Rise is the initial release.

I am ecstatic with some of the videos released by attendees, the SecWar video that CK put up looks really cool:

http://www.crazykinux.com/2008/11/walking-in-station-videos-eve-fanfest.html

However, so did the Atmospheric Flight demo and look where that ended up. The bottom line, they need to detail the goals of the initial release, right now it's anyone's guess. Finally, they need to talk target dates for Singularity testing and not "soon" or "it's coming in 09'".

My last thoughts, I promise. Last week CCP Zulupark opened this thread:

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=905941

All questions regarding Ambulation were tabled for FanFest. I just hope the many questions people have can finally get answered and not end up in yet another blackhole of no information for months.

The atmospheric flight demo was a proof-of-concept of something that they wanted to eventally put in game and still plan too. Ambulation is something that they ARE implementing and they have given concrete details of what will be in at launch. 3 different types of areas (captians quarters, promenades and player owned business 'pods' ) for launch which seems pretty specific to me. And seeing as CCP does 2 expansions a year and it's not going to be in the march one, a person of moderate intelligence could deduce that it will be in the fall/winter expansion.

• FlummoxedFlummoxed Member Posts: 591

looks similar to the old EA/Westwood mmog Earth and Beyond.