Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you use xfire? (A poll)

TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Since so much has been made about xfire and its users lately lets see if we can get a small sampling of how many people here use it.......

Comments

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

Just started using it last week. I got curious about how many hours I wast.... er... spend playing MMOs.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

If it runs on my computer at start up BY default I become very annoyed.   This is my sanctum you'll enter it when I tell you to.

There are some exceptions ofcourse like MYSQL server, ditto, powermenu, and firewalls.   But aside from tools that you need it's a case of GTFO.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• Hades_WarpigHades_Warpig Member Posts: 265

yup, i do

• x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745

I tried it.  I didn't 'get' it though - seemed to be just a glorified chat room that ran alongside your games.  I can chat in-game though, so what's the point?

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Xfire is strictly for the FPS crowd.  There is just no actual reason for a MMO player to use it.

• Originally posted by x_rast_x

I tried it.  I didn't 'get' it though - seemed to be just a glorified chat room that ran alongside your games.  I can chat in-game though, so what's the point?

There's good reason to use x-fire for fps games.  For example, I could come home, see my friend playing a fps, and then have x-fire load the game and bring me to the same server as that person.  No real point for it with mmos though, which is probably the main reason I don't know even one mmo player who uses it.  I'd be surprised if more than a third of the mmo community uses x-fire.  Thus the reason I couldn't care less about any "stats" from x-fire.

• DashDashDashDash Member UncommonPosts: 28

Yes i do and i like it.

Many times before, i didnt, on my old computer, where all MB of ram was so much for me.

But since a lot of my friends started to use it, me too.

It has a good screenshot and video making, with autohosting system, now in beta live gameplay streaming function and verry good Voice chat, good usable when is my ventrilo server offline, or some other reasons.

The other good reason is, when my friend plays something, i can speak with him, write to him and he dont want to jump from game on desktop.

Yes, for many gamers it can looks like something unusable, but when u one time start it, u have it and u use it.

And the last good is, it have a fully compatible MSN plugin now, and i hope, ICQ, and other protocols will be usable soon.

The last thing is, i know a lot of MMO players who have X-fire and the truth is a lot of MMO players plays some FPS too :)

Cant recruit someone into it, but only can describe pros for me.

Thats all.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

I use it. I have friends that play FPS while I play a majority of MMO's. Helps when want to communicate with each other. Also with other friends who play different MMOs.  I also like how many hours it logs of you playing games.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• ZardaXZardaX Member Posts: 57

No

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

no, i never fouind a good reason to use it.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Don't see a reason to.  I'm fully capable of starting my own game and finding the server myself.  I rarely use voice chat as is, and I never take screen shots either so that's all out the window.  Also I know of nobody personally who actually uses X-Fire so that is even more reason not to bother getting it.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• CorruptedCorrupted Member Posts: 310

Yes and it's a great program and as stated before, especially for FPS which I play alot of. You can take ingame pictures, videos and much more. It doesn't hurt to just have it installed and you can set it up so it doesn't start up when Windows does.

• strategystrategy Member Posts: 183

Thanks to the Xfire stats we are finally freed from companies like FunCom who want us to believe they have zillions of subscriptions.

I trust Xfire stats 1000 x more than any poll organised on www.mmorpg.com.

Those who say the stats on www.xfire.com are wrongly sampled are only defending one of the less popular games or games on decline.

The sampled user base for the top 100 listed games is just too big. The lower listed games (under top 100) don't have enough players to be  accurate, but for those games with a sample of some hundreds or even thousands of players it shows exactly of what is being played in this industry.

Great tool to predict things and counter lying companies.

• RadioMaryjaRadioMaryja Member UncommonPosts: 123

i do. i  always wanted to track how many hours i've spend gaming, and how many hours were needed to finish games.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Problem with X-fire is that it sucks, it takes up to much resources. I use Ventrilo instead.

And X-fire statistic works ok to see how a game is doing with it's subs but it is a sucky way to compare between different games, EQ2 don't have 10% of the subs of WAR (last I checked a week ago WAR was number 4 and EQ2 number 80, WAR is bigger, no doubt about that but more like 2 or 3 times, not 10), you just need a system like that more for PvP.

• CorruptedCorrupted Member Posts: 310
    Originally posted by Loke666

Problem with X-fire is that it sucks, it takes up to much resources. I use Ventrilo instead.
    And X-fire statistic works ok to see how a game is doing with it's subs but it is a sucky way to compare between different games, EQ2 don't have 10% of the subs of WAR (last I checked a week ago WAR was number 4 and EQ2 number 80, WAR is bigger, no doubt about that but more like 2 or 3 times, not 10), you just need a system like that more for PvP.

Xfire sucks so you use Ventrilo instead? That made no sense, you're pretty much comparing them 2 together when they are nothing alike, majority of the people that use Xfire aren't using it for voice chat.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

There are a lot of no's there.  Xfire is an Activision fanboi program!

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

In general, the only reason I've used xfire is to test it's video capabilities (which sucked compared to FRAPS, at least at the time I tested it, but the files did take up significantly less space AND it's more user friendly).

As for xfire, in general, I dont' really see the point of it, either, except for lobby-based games:

• I firmly believe a gamer should run as few processes/applications in the background as possible while gaming - xfire is an unecessary application running in the background as far as I'm concerned
    • How often I game and when I game is nobody else's business - I don't need xfire to prove how cool and/or addicted I am...
    • While there are some players whom I've befriended outside of games, I generally like to keep my gaming life separate from real life - I have no illusion that most in-game friends are true friends - they're simply the MMO equivalent of myspace adds...  As such, I don't need them on an external friends list (with few exceptions - there are definitely some people that do make a mark and with whom I'd like to keep in touch, but they're few by comparison)
    • I don't voice chat because it ruins immersion, even in silly, non-rp games like Dungeon Runners
    • Most games I've played have screenshot capabilities - if they don't and I really, really need screenshots then I might use xfire, but I could use FRAPS, basic Windows screenprint functionality or even a professional program like Snagit, which has a rudimentary built in editor, custom profiles, save options, etc...
    • If I want to create videos, FRAPS is still the best I've seen, albeit at a higher disk cost and manual compression
    • Most MMOs tie players to specific servers - since I rarely play lobby-based games, there's really no reason for "friends" to see what server I'm currently playing on
    • If I want to chat while gaming, I'll chat in game - if you're not in game, no chat for you!
    • I can launch and patch my own games, I don't need to use xfire to do it for me

~Ripper