Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions from a newb.

PezDSpencerPezDSpencer Member UncommonPosts: 111

Just picked up a copy of this game, and had a few questions:

1. Is there any sort of mail system?

2. What classes are played the most/least.

3. Which servers are the most populous?  ( I rolled on Nimrodel, and there's no one to be seen at level 5.)

I probably have more stored in my brain somewhere, bu they aren't coming to me right now.  Thanks in advance!

---
He said to me, "On your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Comments

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by PezDSpencer

Just picked up a copy of this game, and had a few questions:

1. Is there any sort of mail system?
    yes, but you are still in the starter instance
    2. What classes are played the most/least.
    most = hunter I think. least I dunno. we have a fair share of all classes in my kinship.
    3. Which servers are the most populous?  ( I rolled on Nimrodel, and there's no one to be seen at level 5.)
    brandywine on the N American side. but until you get out of the starter instance and into the real world next level you probably will not see a lot of other people. First 6 or 7 levels only take about a half hour to a hour and most leave at about level 6 or 7 at the most.

I probably have more stored in my brain somewhere, bu they aren't coming to me right now.  Thanks in advance!

welcome to LoTRO and feel free to ask anything here or over at the official forums. Only suggestion I have is try a few different classes and play each to about ten to get the feel for which you like best.

I miss DAoC

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Jack covered things pretty well.  I want to stress what he said about the newbie instance is quite true.  No-one is there for more than an hour or two.  In fact the whole 1-10 game can sometimes be sparse.  You'll see a lot more folks playing once you get to the higher level zones.  Brandywine is the most populous server.  However, if you start there now you are likely going to be looking at ques to login when MoM launches in a few weeks.

As far as least played class, I'd say Burgler followed by Captain.  Both are very solid classes, but also technical classes that take some skill to play well.  A well played Burgler is one of the stongest characters in the game.  Nearly OP in PvP.  There is a Burg in our KS that can do things I find hard to believe, but he is also one of the top Burgs on our server.  Captain is also a solid choice.  One of the most sought after classes for end game raiding, they have amazing buffs.  However the most sought after class for any kind of group work is a Minsteral (the healer like most MMOs).

Oh yeah, and welcome :-)

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• PezDSpencerPezDSpencer Member UncommonPosts: 111

Thanks for the info. 

I really dig Captains right now.  I've always been a support/healer class at heart.  But I'm curious.  I was looking at their skills, and they get halberds/spears at later levels.  Are those worth using, or should I stick with sword/axe/mace and shield?

---
    He said to me, "On your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

• PezDSpencerPezDSpencer Member UncommonPosts: 111

Oh, and another thing,  I was reading some posts about MoM.  Is it true they're overhauling the graphics?  I think it's a pretty game right now (with all setting topped out).  But even better graphics would be sweet.

---

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by PezDSpencer

Oh, and another thing,  I was reading some posts about MoM.  Is it true they're overhauling the graphics?  I think it's a pretty game right now (with all setting topped out).  But even better graphics would be sweet.

Dunno if I would call it a overhaul on the graphics but they had to design some new tech in order to achieve the epic dimensions inside Moria w/o causing epic lag in the process. There is a dev diary somewhere about it and if I can find it I will link it.

I miss DAoC

• sharpshadesharpshade Member UncommonPosts: 58

Hello there! I'm new as well and thought instead of creating a new thread I would just post here.

1.) What classes are good at solo'ing? Due to my work schedule I'll be solo'ing for the most part.

2.) Which servers rp? I am a roleplayer and would be looking to join an rp kinship and server.

3.) How is crafting in the game? Is it fun and useful or something barely anyone pays attention to?

Thanks so much for all your help in advance!

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by sharpshade

Hello there! I'm new as well and thought instead of creating a new thread I would just post here.
    1.) What classes are good at solo'ing? Due to my work schedule I'll be solo'ing for the most part.
    2.) Which servers rp? I am a roleplayer and would be looking to join an rp kinship and server.
    3.) How is crafting in the game? Is it fun and useful or something barely anyone pays attention to?
    Thanks so much for all your help in advance!

1. All classes are good soloing.. Hunters are probably best (high dps, ports and faster run speed), the new Warden class coming in MoM seems to be a great solo class.

2. Only Europe have offical RP-servers (they are labeled RP so cant miss them)... if you play in US I think Landroval is the unoffical RP-server.

3. Its very usefull but not alot of fun in my opinion.

and Welcome to Middle Earth!

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd