Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat problems in PVE, why I think its boring.

I think I found out why the game seems to be boring in PVE more so than other MMOS.

I have played a lot of MMOS, back from UO, and forward. Warhammer seems to have this combat feel in PVE that leaved me anxious, in a hurry, or want it to speed up.

Here is the good side of combat and here is why I think it is also its own problem for me.

1. Combat was slowed down for a reason. The pace of combat IS slower than on most other mmo where you can SPAM everything. Its good for PVP because..
    • Fights seem to last longer, keep you in the batter longer, and it makes the battle seem more influential on your decisions. When you are playing against other players and other people using strategies against you .. a slower paced combat system is good to give you time to react and change the flow of battle with proper strategies.
  2. The bad thing this slower paced combat does is make PVE BORING as hell. Since PVE is very straight foward non intuitive and tank and spank.. this makes PVE SLOWWWW. When you are just tryign to kill a a few mobs.. and you still have to have that slow paced combat it makes it drag out that much longer.. when you have to kill 100 things or 50 thing its just terrible.

1.4 Sec cooldown in Warhammer vs other mmos got a general 1 sec cooldown.

Its a different between getting off 9 actions in 9 seconds or 6 actions every 9 seconds.

Comments

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

It however has a lower GCD than WoW (by 0.1). So while im sure other mmos may be faster and thus more button mashing/spam, WAR is what it is.

• PangaeaPangaea Member Posts: 434

I know most WoW cooldowns are 1.5 (unless you are a druid/rogue)

With haste I know it can be quicker. But even with WoWs 1.5 sec cool down. The combat seemed to be quicker paced. Is there a reason for that

Warhammer has a slower autoattack as well.

4.0 secon for slow one handers 2.X for one handers..

Wow has 1.4+ attack speeds..

Maybe that has somethign to do with it.

LOTRO had a faster pace combat system. To me it feel that way.

• talideriantaliderian Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by Annekynn

It however has a lower GCD than WoW (by 0.1). So while im sure other mmos may be faster and thus more button mashing/spam, WAR is what it is.

Nope. Mythic "claims" that their GCD is 0.1 lower than WoW. It isn't. You can eyeball it and tell easily. Time it if you don't believe me.

• Omega3Omega3 Member Posts: 398

WAR combat feels slow because you make 95% of your dmg trough button mashing, as opposed to WoW where your weapon dmg is your main source. Your weapon is just a base dmg marker for your abilities.

Also, note that most characters have a truckload of hitpoints for their lvl compared to WoW.

I didn't like WoW fast paced combat, but WAR slow ass one isn't better. There must be a room in the middle.

My addiction History:
    >> EQ1 2000-2004 - Shaman/Bard/Wizard/Monk - nolife raid-whore
    >> WoW 2004-2009 + Cataclysm for 2 months - hardcore casual
    >> Current status : done with MMO, too old for that crap.

• MagterMagter Member Posts: 289

I play a WP and I kill things in seconds...BTW I played LOTRO and it has a slower combat system. Also if you don't want to play WAR, cancel the subscription and quit wasting your time.

Purpose in life is not to gain things, but experience. - Rover64dd

• PelagatoPelagato Member UncommonPosts: 673

Sounds like you dont like war and wow in general... just messing.... ok i get to the point....

the point is....

what is the point.... i think i was going pointless on this post....

ok ok.. back in touch...

U do a lot of damage through skills... if not all damage at all.... with out actions points everything turns into a slow fest.... I know what u mean... but I dont really feel its slower than WoW.. because wow by itself is also slow enough for me to hit slowness and done... no diference.. just slowness...

If you want the game to be more quicker.. play witch elf...

anyway what can be slower than FF turn fights?

• MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414

hmm, well sometimes I agree with the OP and sometimes I don't. When I am well geared, PVE goes by VERY fast, but when I'm sort of borderline behind the lvl where I can buy the latest and greatest gear, things can become slow and  tedious. I don't think the combat is significantly different than EQ2 or WOW though.

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Originally posted by MMORPDEATH
    hmm, well sometimes I agree with the OP and sometimes I don't. When I am well geared, PVE goes by VERY fast, but when I'm sort of borderline behind the lvl where I can buy the latest and greatest gear, things can become slow and tedious. I don't think the combat is significantly different than EQ2 or WOW though.

Yeah but thats not an issue of GCD, just amount of health/defense the npcs have versus your offensive capabilities. As a two handed Swordmaster (read: tank) I mow through npcs no problem and everything dies quickly. The only time its ever slow is if they are a) champions and im solo or b) higher level than me (in which case its expected).

However the fact is it is much easier to get max level (40) in this game than it was in WoW when it first came out. When WoW first came out most people got to 60 in a 12-15 /played period (atleast on my server). Here in WAR most hardcore got to 40 in WELL under 10 /played days. So if the pace of combat is slower than other games it does nothing to slow down the leveling curve.

• TonevTonev Member Posts: 462

Well, I didn't find the RvR and PvP aspect of the game boring (imbalanced as hell though). I think there needs to be checks and balances in games like this especially when it is suppose to be a team effort (not two or three people locking 20 people down as seen in DAoC).

DAoC was so got damn imbalanced when it came to classes and uber, duper CC I don't see how people even hint at wanting this game to be anywhere like it (yester year dummies).

I think the combat is fine, I do think the PvE aspect needs to be livened up though (make it more like WOW's or guild War's) as of now its like eating a dry, saltine cracker in the desert with no water around.

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593

Imo PvE pace is fine.. however there are problems but they deal mostly with mob placement and pathing in some areas..

Solo PvE where you kill mobs one at a time is slow, dull, and not challenging enough.

On the other hand in areas where you have mobs moving around in groups, patrols and a champ or two in their midst it is very satisfying and challenging.

Imo they should rethink their "trash" mobs... For example, in areas where mobs are solitary they should be made considerably tougher to compensate. Maybe even introduce a new mob type between normal and champ. Wild animals in particular should be tougher - a solitary bear should be as challenging as a 2 or even 3 mob patrol... and give proportionally larger rewards - this "xp based solely on level" is dull.

• wozzuwozzu Member Posts: 109

It's relative to the user. Since WAR's combat is boring, mashing the same 3 or 4 buttons in the same combination over and over, it seems slow.

In WoW, you can change things up, gogue your opponent, leap, spin a 180 and back stab him. You can mash 3 buttons over and over in WoW, but you don't have to. And if you're creative in WoW, you kill things faster.

Boring versus dynamic. It's relative to the beholder.

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593
    Originally posted by wozzu

It's relative to the user. Since WAR's combat is boring, mashing the same 3 or 4 buttons in the same combination over and over, it seems slow.
    In WoW, you can change things up, gogue your opponent, leap, spin a 180 and back stab him. You can mash 3 buttons over and over in WoW, but you don't have to. And if you're creative in WoW, you kill things faster.
    Boring versus dynamic. It's relative to the beholder.

Sorry but you can do the same in WAR... In fact quite a bit less damage in WAR comes from auto-attacks so you do actually have to play your skills.

In addition, do not compare starter level combat with the one at max level. I find that my swordmaster has much more viable skills to use at any point (and I'm 27 lol) than my hunter or priest had at 70... Not to mention things WoW never had that make WAR combat even more complex - tactic sets and morale abilities.

Too many people here compare beginner level play with endgame they've grown used to in WoW. Please play the first 10 levels of WoW again and then come back here and complain that WAR combat is "simplistic".

• MoretrinketsMoretrinkets Member Posts: 730

when you group, PvE is great and combat is fun

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

I agree. My bow got a 4 seconds attackspeed, so I'm constantly clicking one skill - Plink - since otherwise not only would the fight be hilariously boring, tedious and long my DPS would be insignificant to the point of my normal squig outdpsing me, or the monster soloing my squig and me before I manage to kill it. Simply put: I buttonmash, and still I feel bored.

I dont get it.... if the normal weapon damage do nothing... and you used abilities....    It will make more sense if your normal damage is higher and you press less ability keys?????