Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One of the fastest dying MMO's of all time? the majority have spoken !

server merges = death

6 weeks in and they arent adding servers...they arent even stable, they are killing almost 22 servers.

Remember that article from Massively? during the launch he said WaR will settle around 250k ish subs. Most war fanbois laughed and said OMG WAR WILL GET 2 million subs easy !

lol...just lol....

see ya later WaR no more medicore MMO's please. the Majority have spoken.

and yes we are the majority..

750k accounts created

250k playing WaR

Equals 500k people (majority) that think WaR is nothing special.

Comments

• tool089tool089 Member UncommonPosts: 72

So trolls decided server merges are bad?  I thought the gerenal troll opinion was Mythic is dumb because they've got populations spread out too much, so their big new thing (RvR) was pointless with so few people.

Concentrating players to several well populated servers to show how fun RvR is and then attract more players to fill new servers isn't exactly a bad idea...

• JpizzleJpizzle Member Posts: 371

zomg, you showed them! It's friggin closing now! 250K subs! epic fail! no money there! That's like.. uh.. $10 profit! EA is going to close them down 4 shure!! server transfers is admitting they lose! 

/sarcasim

How about instead of FORCING players to stay on dead servers, they're actually thinking of the customer first i.e. giving them a better product. 250K is hardly a failure. Yes, they over estimated server pops, and admited to that. But to call the game the "fastest dieing" game is either extremely ignorant, or just plain stupid on your part. Gain some perspective, Dingdongdiddler.

• Spamalot345Spamalot345 Member Posts: 118

Oh look, another 1-post phenom hoping his friends will rejoin him in McWarcraft.

• NotArkardNotArkard Lord of the Rings Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 164

Server merges, the one thing people said could save AoC's PvP is going to kill WAR? Actually, they're just allowing transfers off dead servers. Not exactly the same thing. You know World of Warcraft? That game with 11 million subs? Yeah, it does the same thing.

Logic, you has none.

The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com and its management.

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Originally posted by Dingdongdang

server merges = death
    6 weeks in and they arent adding servers...they arent even stable, they are killing almost 22 servers.
    Remember that article from Massively? during the launch he said WaR will settle around 250k ish subs. Most war fanbois laughed and said OMG WAR WILL GET 2 million subs easy !

lol...just lol....
    750k accounts created
    250k playing WaR

While I think it's fair to say that Mythic over-estimated their initial subs, which resulted in having too many servers, there are a number of important points that you seem to have left out:

First, did you count the number of remaining servers, after the merges? I haven't either, but just a quick look tells me that it is still a healthy number.

Your numbers are based on a prediction, which is fine, but it's not actually an accurate count.

When you say dying, you're not actually thinking about what the game needs in order to be profitable for the company running it. I see absolutely no evidence that the game is dying.

While I understand that the 2 million number was way too high an estimate, you seem awfully determined to see this game fail. I'm not entirely sure why. You didn't like it. That's great. You're welcome to your opnion, but I don't really see the need to declare it "dying" as there are still a large number of players enjoying it.

Is the game doing record numbers and taking the MMO world by storm? No. Is it in the process of dying? No, it isn't.

PS: I'm not a fanboi. It's actually my job to understand things like this.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• kazsonkazson Member Posts: 224

at least this troll has a cool pic lol....

i posted about this already, it can be taken both ways....yes the game lost lots of players but at least now the players that ARE playing can acutally enjoy the game. and maybe through updates and word of mouth the game can make a come back.

hopefully it stays above 250k....Mythic said that was enough to "break even"...that doesnt sound good with it comes to content updates and such....those types of things are funded from acutal profit...not just breaking even. 

EA dont play dat lol

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

Stradden = <3

And good god, the Trolls and H8ters are out in full force today. What's up? Aren't the server 'merges' what everyone wanted to start getting everyone on a dozen or so full servers?

• XtortXtort Member Posts: 392

server merges = death

lol...just lol....
    750k accounts created
    250k playing WaR

haha lol... Mr.One-Post guy... Did WoW bore you that much so you had the courage to come here and post nonsense things with stupid numbers?

Why would the server mergers kill an MMO? It's for the benefit of players, because RvR in a low-pop server is no fun. Clearly, Mythic could not estimate the server numbers correct at start, and they are taking steps to stabilize this. Very good decision. The players who enjoy playing WAR will be even happier.

Mythic 1 - You 0

-----------------------------
    Osbourne Cox: You are the guy from the gym.

Ted Treffon: I don't represent Hardbodies.

Osbourne Cox: I know very well what you represent. You represent the idiocy of today.

Ted Treffon: No, I don't represent that either.

Osbourne Cox: You are part of a league of morons. Oh, yes. You see you're one of the morons I've been fighting my whole life. But guess what. Today, I win.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Server mergers are a good thing for the player base of the game. 

However, server mergers are done in response to a problem and are not a "good thing" as far as a games health goes.  Is it just that the game had to many servers at launch or it is having trouble retaining people.  I think it is both, but I am very impressed so far at Mythics response rate to issues.

I really wish Mythic would have waited until a few months after WOLTK to launch.  

• kazsonkazson Member Posts: 224
    Originally posted by Daffid011

However, server mergers are done in response to a problem and are not a "good thing" as far as a games health goes.  Is it just that the game had to many servers at launch or it is having trouble retaining people.  I think it is both, but I am very impressed so far at Mythics response rate to issues.
    I really wish Mythic would have waited until a few months after WOLTK to launch.  

i think WaR and AoC both jumped the gun...they should have both waited until Lich king released.

I know back then they didnt know what the realease date was but they should have held out.

WoW going last put it at a huge advantage.

Blizzard wins another year and destroyed all new comers once again

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Well, this is a funny story :)

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• Gios30Gios30 Member Posts: 48

The OP never once mentioned WOW. Why do all of you assume he plays wow or that any one who plays wow shares his views. You all act the same to every negative post its kind of childish.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

WAR is doing ok, its not doing amazing but its doing fine.

200k-500k is considerd sucessful in the mmo genre.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

One of the few intelligent moves by EA.  While server merges may indicate poor planning, at least EA is thinking of the customer.  Imo, WAR needs a healthy server population to be enjoyed.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• ofir7786ofir7786 Member Posts: 61

I'm hoping that if/when they close the low pop servers, they'll dramatically increase the population cap for the main servers, while also encouraging open world RvR over Scenarios.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

server merges = death

lol...just lol....
    750k accounts created
    250k playing WaR

I still think that 250k is good.

Look, first of all, there aren't many western games that can boast those numbers. If you are comparing with WoW the you don't understand why WoW is popular and that it is beyond regular mmo's.

Other than a few mmo's in asia that do very well (Lineage 2 being one of them but has something like 90k or less subscribers here) 250 k seems pretty on par.

The idea that so many copies were purchased does seem to point an ever growing mmo playerbase looking for something different. Part of them could even be WoW players.

But companies are so transfixed on WoW type numbers that they seem to be too eager and too willing to believe that they are going to attract similar numbers.

Merges do not equal death. For example, Lineage 2 had server mergers and it actually helped the game. Why?

Because certain types of games require a healthy population to work.

So going back to warhammer, people kept trying to get into high pop servers, there was danger there would be too much crowding and so they opened new servers. Problem was that lower pop servers just don't work with this game and also they were not able to keep some players due to a variety things.

So "no" game is not dying and I have  a feeling will be around for a bit. But it just won't attract the type of numbers that a game such as WoW can attract and keep.

For all the complaining and arguing on what 11 million subscribers really means, I chalk it up to splitting hairs. WoW has many millions of subscribers and might even be growing (depending on how those numbers are counted).

But no game will be able to reach those numbers unless it does a few things.

My guess is that the new star wars mmo WILL actually be able to get up there and stay up there. Perhaps not 11 million or over a million easy.

Why? Universal appeal. As I've said before about warhammer (and people just didn't accept it) Warhammer was always going to be successful but not VERY successful because it has limited appeal. The average person doesn't realy know warhammer. If I say World of Warcraft at work game players and non game players know it. I say warhammer and no one knows it, except for a table top game (and only a few know it as that).

But say something like Star Wars and everyone knows it. They might not Know SWG but by the time the marketing comes around for the new one you will see impressive numbers signing up.

but Warhammer? Not so much. And given some of the challenges that the dev team has come against it makes even more sense.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • pixeldogmeatpixeldogmeat Member Posts: 441

server merges = death

lol...just lol....
    750k accounts created
    250k playing WaR

Merges to me means more players per server, and I can't possibly see how this is bad. Are you going to complain next about how there are too many players on?

Keep counting those beans :)

PLAY WURM ONLINE!! www.wurmonline.com

• thanoskkkthanoskkk Member UncommonPosts: 230

He created a mmorpg account only to start this thread. how sick can this be?

He that lives upon Hope dies farting.

• konrad16660konrad16660 Member Posts: 182

This year I bought AoC with hopes that it would be a good game.  Actually I bought it because everyone and their mothers were and all I could hear about was AoC from everyone.  So I bought it and after logging in a couple times I was done with the game.  Then as a couple weeks went past everyone else seemed more or less done with the game as well.  Then I pre-ordered WAR from Gamestop in hopes that it would be good since I played Warhammer 40k in real life for a long time.  However as the time got closer for WAR to launch I lost interest since I had seen Tabula Rasa and AoC die when they were launched.  Therefore I saved the additional 70 dollars and let WAR rot at gamestop and never picked it up nor played it.  I figured it would fail like all the others.  With so many mmo's coming out these days people don't seem to stick with a game like they used to around the turn of the century.  I myself like communities and have more or less stopped caring about graphics that are a little more shiny.  Therefore atm I am content playing FFXI where the people are nice and chat channels aren't filled with "Is this game better than WoW" because where I play, nothing outside really matters.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by kazson 

i think WaR and AoC both jumped the gun...they should have both waited until Lich king released.
    I know back then they didnt know what the realease date was but they should have held out.

True, but thinking more on this Blizzard was in the position to wait as long as they wanted.  If Mythic for example pushed back another 4 months there wasn't anything that was forcing Blizzard to release before that.  They could take as much time as they want if they chose to.

While Funcom were idiots for releasing when they did (I assume they had a choice still), Mythic was in a very tough situation. 

I really wish I had read the join date of the original poster and just avoided this thread, but there has been some good reading to my surprise.

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891
    Originally posted by kazson

Originally posted by Daffid011

Any MMO game that releases within 1 to 3 months after WoW's expansion pretty much is goign to be dead in the water everyone knows that even WoW haters.  WAR released at a really good time for the niche market its hoping to keep and it also released in excellent shape, not perfect shape but excellent shape.  Releasing a few months later would not of changed some of the current issues, the issues they're running into now simply just can't be accounted for in testing. 

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

server merges = death

lol...just lol....
    750k accounts created
    250k playing WaR

Your numbers are wrong.

750k was the number of boxes sold wasn't it?  Not subs.  Well, not in the strict sense in that boxes sold are based on numbers sold to retailers and not necessarily to account creating customers.  That's how I understood it at least.

250k playing WAR is a SWAG and nothing more.  I'm not sure where you got those numbers.  Even if you take the numbers from http://www.waralytics.com/warservers/index it's unlikely there are 250k subscribers.  They list a total of ~464k characters, of which actual accounts have to be a mere fraction.  (yes I know the numbers there are low, but it is an indication of total characters and therefore total subs)

EG:  Assume that every person who created an account, created at least one character.  Now, even if you assume an outrageous  50% error in waralytics numbers, there could have been a maximum 696k accounts created.  Now, those are two literally crazy assumptions, but yet it gives you and extreme maximum.

Now, lets make some more reasonable assumptions.  1.  The waralytics numbers are 20% low.  2.  Every person who created an account, created at least one character.  3.  40% of the people who created an account created two or more characters.  The max accounts you could have is 557k, with 222k of them being multi-character accounts, resulting in a maximum since release of ~335k.

Essentially, based on the info available online, there is no way WAR ever could have had 750k playing subscribers.  Also, 250k currently paying subscribers is very generous.  I'd be surprised if WAR had topped more than 200k subscribers beyond the free trial period.  There may be more than that playing on accounts that will expire soon, but cancelled is cancelled in my books. 

Anyhow, my point is that you can make some more educated assumptions about the game than what you posted.  You could actually look on the WAR Herald and search for numbers if you want to take the time.

• ohsofresh42ohsofresh42 Member Posts: 68

Sheesh 1 post and he has yet to come back in here and defend himself after getting flamed numerous times. War is a good game not great and it didn't hold my interest for very long. But that is by no means hating on the game the RvR is very good there just wasn't enough of it going on while I was subbed, not to mention doing PQs in t3 were a p.i.t.a. since most people were to busy grinding scenarios. I'll come back later in the year to check out the two new classes.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    Originally posted by ohsofresh42

Sheesh 1 post and he has yet to come back in here and defend himself after getting flamed numerous times. War is a good game not great and it didn't hold my interest for very long. But that is by no means hating on the game the RvR is very good there just wasn't enough of it going on while I was subbed, not to mention doing PQs in t3 were a p.i.t.a. since most people were to busy grinding scenarios. I'll come back later in the year to check out the two new classes.

The two new classes come out in 2 months don't they?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by daeandor

Your numbers are wrong.
    750k was the number of boxes sold wasn't it?  Not subs.  Well, not in the strict sense in that boxes sold are based on numbers sold to retailers and not necessarily to account creating customers.  That's how I understood it at least.
    250k playing WAR is a SWAG and nothing more.  I'm not sure where you got those numbers.  Even if you take the numbers from http://www.waralytics.com/warservers/index it's unlikely there are 250k subscribers.  They list a total of ~464k characters, of which actual accounts have to be a mere fraction.  (yes I know the numbers there are low, but it is an indication of total characters and therefore total subs)

EG:  Assume that every person who created an account, created at least one character.  Now, even if you assume an outrageous  50% error in waralytics numbers, there could have been a maximum 696k accounts created.  Now, those are two literally crazy assumptions, but yet it gives you and extreme maximum.
    Now, lets make some more reasonable assumptions.  1.  The waralytics numbers are 20% low.  2.  Every person who created an account, created at least one character.  3.  40% of the people who created an account created two or more characters.  The max accounts you could have is 557k, with 222k of them being multi-character accounts, resulting in a maximum since release of ~335k.
    Essentially, based on the info available online, there is no way WAR ever could have had 750k playing subscribers.  Also, 250k currently paying subscribers is very generous.  I'd be surprised if WAR had topped more than 200k subscribers beyond the free trial period.  There may be more than that playing on accounts that will expire soon, but cancelled is cancelled in my books. 

Anyhow, my point is that you can make some more educated assumptions about the game than what you posted.  You could actually look on the WAR Herald and search for numbers if you want to take the time.

I'm Pretty sure Mythic announced that they have shipped 1,5 million and sold 850K (Mark Jacobs said it) so where do you get your numbers from?

I don't think WAR have 250K subs, maybe 350K or so but that is just a guess. But ok, WAR did actually lose their players as fast as AoC did, really not good news for the MMO market. Both Mythic and FunCom released their game way to early and both of them should have learned more from their earlier games.

However if WAR ends at 250K subs, that is fine too, that is actually what EA said their counted with to make the game go even. As long as WAR is over 250K the game is doing fine, if it starts to drop under then we have a problem but it havn't yet and I doubt it actaully will.

WAR will probably not ever be as big as "Motormouth" Barnett said and he shouldn't dizzed Funcom for making the same misstakes they did themselves but both WAR and AoC are not bad game, they were just released to early.

And some people here say that WAR did an excellent release but that's just bull, they have lost a lot of players and they have done a lot of misstakes but the game do have many nice features also and hopefully it will be a great game in a year. I don't really see it having more than half a million subs ever however, it is hard to get a game on it's feet after a too early release.

It is really sad that several games have been flushed down the drain because of early launches, WAR, AoC and Vanguard are all good games but the devs got greedy and wanted to release them before they were really finnished, therefore their subs number dived after launch. You can't really do that on the market today, it is suicide.