Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Age of Conan Review

Comments

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by Steelrose

Originally posted by jedijef

Originally posted by Stradden

Well in my opinion this review is a joke as almost all reviews made in every magazine and on every major website last 5-6 years. All it does, is trying to appeal the majority of the people here, that felt to AoC hype before release, so it gets favourable feedback from the community. This review is just the reflection of the state of the AoC-forums on this website. It's a coward article hiding behind the community.

Seriously? Did someone just accuse us of writing a review to appease our community? REALLY? I mean seriously, it really doesn't matter what we write in our reviews, I guess we're just ALWAYS going to get this kind of statement. More often than not, it's "you're trying to sppease sdvertisers" now it "you're trying to appease your community". Ya know what? Reviews are just one person's opinion of a game. That's it. There's no freaking hidden agenda. Seriously. Deal with it. That seem like something I'm saying to get favorable feedback?

There's no cowardice here, friend. I hate to break it to you.

Your article pretends to be an objective review. It doesn't state "in my opinion, the interface is clunky and the community full of idiots..." It says let me paraphrase: the interface is clunky and the community full of idiots. Most of the things you criticise can  be criticized in almost every game, depends on what approach you have towards the game. I'm not saying AoC is a good game, the game has great atmosphere for me and otherwise it's an overhyped mess. But the reasons why I dislike it differ from yours and most of the things you dislike I actually enjoy. Review should be informative. I don't want to read your personal opinions, I want information.

Sorry, but any time you read a review, 'in my opinion' is logically, and quite obviously, implied.  That's what a review is, information presented from a certain point of view.  If you want a straight listing of facts, I'd direct you to the product info page at Gamestop.com or something similar.  If you read a review by myself or any other writer, expect to get their personal opinions interspersed with the facts.  Its really not rocket science.

Simply not true. I guess that's a difference between a good review and a bad review. Good review should have no personal opinions. It should be informative and contain facts only. For exmaple it should inform me about the interface (whether it can be resized, how many bars, how is the respond-rate etc).

Who the hell cares about his personal opinion? That's what forums are about NOT REVIEWS on a website like this. Just because you and your comrades are bastardized by the maganizes that write video game reviews that includes more personal opinions than an actual facts, doesn't mean a review should have personal opinions. You indeed can critize the interface if the respond-rate is extremly slow, it can't be resized etc, but you can't say the people that play the game are neandertals. That's stupid, childish and the writer should get whipped and an instant kick off from his volunteer unpaid job position. But I guess that's what I'm gonna get very soon.

all reviews and articles are personal opinions, even the dictionary says so

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by miagisan

the problem is the community in online mmorpgs is the byproduct of a game.And in mmorpgs, where community is vital since you are dependant on the community, yes, it is valid to critique.

Again I'm not talking about a critique, it's the insults that came along with the criticism that bothers me. I find it highly unprofessional.

If you had a bad experience, it's understandable to comment on it. Calling a community cave men and a bunch of idiots is different.

This can differ by circumstance as well, a game is not made up only by the few hundred people you came across. Not when there's the possibility for hundreds of thousands to be playing. That's an important distinction to be made.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Malickie

really? i can find a ton of reviews and editorials in major publications (NY Times, Daily News, etc) in NY which totally destroy whatever they are talking about. Reviews and Editorials are based on personal insight, and what they think of it. If it was a technical review, based strictly on factual numbers such as hardware, costs, etc, then yes, making up this data would not be cool. But this is a review of a game, which takes alot of intangibles into affect. what one person may think is horrible (say huge numbers of quests for examples, which i hate in mmos) may be ideal for someone else.

Destroying the product is fine, insulting a community because of a personal experience isn't IMO.

and you mean to tell me you were never asked by a friend or guildmate "hey how is this guild?" or "how is the community in this game?" or have never grouped up and found a couple of complete jerks in a group or raid group? Now when these numbers are lower percentages, you can shrug it off to the occasional "asshat", but as the % increase, it very much makes an impact upon a game.

I give up, you're just not getting what I'm saying. /sigh

• jedijefjedijef Star Wars Galaxies CorrespondentMember Posts: 27

Well in my opinion this review is a joke as almost all reviews made in every magazine and on every major website last 5-6 years. All it does, is trying to appeal the majority of the people here, that felt to AoC hype before release, so it gets favourable feedback from the community. This review is just the reflection of the state of the AoC-forums on this website. It's a coward article hiding behind the community.

Seriously? Did someone just accuse us of writing a review to appease our community? REALLY? I mean seriously, it really doesn't matter what we write in our reviews, I guess we're just ALWAYS going to get this kind of statement. More often than not, it's "you're trying to sppease sdvertisers" now it "you're trying to appease your community". Ya know what? Reviews are just one person's opinion of a game. That's it. There's no freaking hidden agenda. Seriously. Deal with it. That seem like something I'm saying to get favorable feedback?

There's no cowardice here, friend. I hate to break it to you.

Your article pretends to be an objective review. It doesn't state "in my opinion, the interface is clunky and the community full of idiots..." It says let me paraphrase: the interface is clunky and the community full of idiots. Most of the things you criticise can  be criticized in almost every game, depends on what approach you have towards the game. I'm not saying AoC is a good game, the game has great atmosphere for me and otherwise it's an overhyped mess. But the reasons why I dislike it differ from yours and most of the things you dislike I actually enjoy. Review should be informative. I don't want to read your personal opinions, I want information.

Sorry, but any time you read a review, 'in my opinion' is logically, and quite obviously, implied.  That's what a review is, information presented from a certain point of view.  If you want a straight listing of facts, I'd direct you to the product info page at Gamestop.com or something similar.  If you read a review by myself or any other writer, expect to get their personal opinions interspersed with the facts.  Its really not rocket science.

Simply not true. I guess that's a difference between a good review and a bad review. Good review should have no personal opinions. It should be informative and contain facts only. For exmaple it should inform me about the interface (whether it can be resized, how many bars, how is the respond-rate etc).

Who the hell cares about his personal opinion? That's what forums are about NOT REVIEWS on a website like this. Just because you and your comrades are bastardized by the maganizes that write video game reviews that includes more personal opinions than an actual facts, doesn't mean a review should have personal opinions. You indeed can critize the interface if the respond-rate is extremly slow, it can't be resized etc, but you can't say the people that play the game are neandertals. That's stupid, childish and the writer should get whipped and an instant kick off from his volunteer unpaid job position. But I guess that's what I'm gonna get very soon.

Steelrose, while I have to confess some amusement, there's really no point in debating this with you.  I can and did use the neanderthal comment, and, while some may find it crass, that is my style, and it isn't likely to change because it ruffled a few feathers (quite the contrary actually).  As for your other assertions, let me just state that every single thing you said in this post is incorrect, and leave it at that.

/salute

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by Aguitha

Originally posted by Deewe

Typical MMORPG.COM review here.  How can you expect a fair and honest review when in one hand you get money from them and on the other review their game.

Fact is, this game blows major.  The only good thing is the 1-20 game period.  How can you get a passable rate (6/10) when the game is nothing but a grind past 20.

Seriously why do you bother anymore to come here and even waste your precious time to post?

So you think in 2 passable sentences your are doing a better job jan the reviewer? Be my guest write a full article on the game, post it here and let the community be your judge.

For now you are just a lame troll in the body of a sick gnome, not impressive at all.

I come here to read what's new about the mmo's community.  But when i read review that are obviously biased, i can't help but comment on it.  And last time i checked, that's what a forum is about.

Let me guess this straight...You believe that this site is paid to write their reviews for gaming companies, and you call it typical. Therefor, you must dislike all the reviews here for that same reason. Then why, in your last statement, would you say that you come here and read what's new if you know it's already biased because they get paid to write it in the first place?

In conclusion, this logic further suggests that since this is a forum, and you can, at any time, write your comments on said reviews. You will inevitably write contradictory comments about them, since they are initially biased from the start.

I'm not trying to flame you, just making you aware that anything can be construed by statements. It just takes the right sequence to turn into something else.

the problem is the community in online mmorpgs is the byproduct of a game.And in mmorpgs, where community is vital since you are dependant on the community, yes, it is valid to critique.

Again I'm not talking about a critique, it's the insults that came along with the criticism that bothers me. I find it highly unprofessional.

If you had a bad experience, it's understandable to comment on it. Calling a community cave men and a bunch of idiots is different.

This can differ by circumstance as well, a game is not made up only by the few hundred people you came across. Not when there's the possibility for hundreds of thousands to be playing. That's an important distinction to be made.

yes but if i had to write a review on my circumstances, i do include the community, because it is a very large part, if not an integral part of an mmorpg and my experiences within them. Every review i write, and i have written about 6 or 7 now on another website, based on mmorpgs, has included a community aspect, because i tend to get drawn into the community with rp, event, etc. While my reviews have not been kind to AoC's community, i have talked negatively about communities more in games like wow (where i played on a pvp server with guildies) and Hellgate.  For me, the community is a HUGE factor in which game i play, and thats probably why i keep going back to games like EQ2 and LOTRO, where i find the communities and rp refreshing and helpful.

• SteelroseSteelrose Member UncommonPosts: 215

As for your other assertions, let me just state that every single thing you said in this post is incorrect, and leave it at that.
    /salute

I ask you as well. Does your line suppose to convince me? Or convince anyone else reading this thread? Or you? When you wake up, do you look at yourself in the mirror and say "You are great, you are fantastic, you are genius"?

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    Originally posted by whisperwynd

Typical MMORPG.COM review here.  How can you expect a fair and honest review when in one hand you get money from them and on the other review their game.

Fact is, this game blows major.  The only good thing is the 1-20 game period.  How can you get a passable rate (6/10) when the game is nothing but a grind past 20.

Seriously why do you bother anymore to come here and even waste your precious time to post?

So you think in 2 passable sentences your are doing a better job jan the reviewer? Be my guest write a full article on the game, post it here and let the community be your judge.

For now you are just a lame troll in the body of a sick gnome, not impressive at all.

I come here to read what's new about the mmo's community.  But when i read review that are obviously biased, i can't help but comment on it.  And last time i checked, that's what a forum is about.

Let me guess this straight...You believe that this site is paid to write their reviews for gaming companies, and you call it typical. Therefor, you must dislike all the reviews here for that same reason. Then why, in your last statement, would you say that you come here and read what's new if you know it's already biased because they get paid to write it in the first place?

In conclusion, this logic further suggests that since this is a forum, and you can, at any time, write your comments on said reviews. You will inevitably write contradictory comments about them, since they are initially biased from the start.

I'm not trying to flame you, just making you aware that anything can be construed by statements. It just takes the right sequence to turn into something else.

And you think that when they put that HUGE background AOC  wallpaper that they do it for free ?  I'm not saying they are paid to write review, but they are certainly paid by the game they are reviewing.  In my book you can't be credible if you get money from the same guy you review.

As for your other assertions, let me just state that every single thing you said in this post is incorrect, and leave it at that.
    /salute

I ask you as well. Does your line suppose to convince me? Or convince anyone else reading this thread? Or you? When you wake up, do you look at yourself in the mirror and say "You are great, you are fantastic, you are genius"?

Well, it has certainly convinced me that he's more credible than you are, because he's right. Simple as that.

yes but if i had to write a review on my circumstances, i do include the community, because it is a very large part, if not an integral part of an mmorpg and my experiences within them. Every review i write, and i have written about 6 or 7 now on another website, based on mmorpgs, has included a community aspect, because i tend to get drawn into the community with rp, event, etc. While my reviews have not been kind to AoC's community, i have talked negatively about communities more in games like wow (where i played on a pvp server with guildies) and Hellgate.  For me, the community is a HUGE factor in which game i play, and thats probably why i keep going back to games like EQ2 and LOTRO, where i find the communities and rp refreshing and helpful.

I agree, I came from games like DAOC and SWG. Community was the most important aspect to my enjoyment in those games. That's a highly important factor in MMO's in general, I wouldn't attempt to dispute that.  The OP even admitted he's a crass individual, which explains the comments. I just find it an unorthodox approach at least compared to what I'm used to seeing here. I was highly surprised to find such polarizing comments in an official MMORPG.com review.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

I think anyone who reads this (at least, i hope) would see that the review thinks anyone who players FPS games are some sort of mouth breathers (again, its on the internet), and decided to treat an entire player base with his own preconceived notions, and quite frankly dislike of that genre. I’m not even sure with this in mind that this person was even the right pick for the job, because he walked in with this notion before hand. This is where any comments about the community loose credibility. Like I said:

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

9 times out of 10, most people that say "This community sucks", walked in and started pissing on the drapes.

The reviewer came into it with a preconceived notion, and decided to flame, and name call an entire community of players. Acts that would get most banned or warned here. Considering that the entire premise of AOC was to have a real-time/FPS like combat model, not sure why the assignment was given to him. Also, considering what game this person is the correspondent for, makes it even more boggling.

If anyone would like to tell me, that i am wrong, or making assertions about the reviewer, I already covered this, I don’t know who he is, or what articles he has written before, going back to another of my original points. Perhaps is reviewers were given Genres, maybe then would I know where they are coming from.

All I read here, is someone who dislikes FPS, and has already subscribed to the idea that anyone that players them, is a Neanderthal, and also seems to be inexperienced in PvP games. Why would I take any review from him seriously?

As it stands, some one that covers a sandbox game, with RPG like PvP that’s as thin as a cap full of water, was given the assignment to review a game that is PvP at its core, Old school at that, and was pitched to the real-time combat crowds as a closer cousin to a FPS than an RPG.

While the review was more than accurate about much of the game, is it any wonder he didn’t like the community? Comparisons to the style of AOC PvP to Warhammer is , well, way off. AOC is more akin to UO, in every regard.

As far as the "They are sellout reviewers", that’s just dumb. The guy clearly gave his personal opinion regardless of who buys ads here.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

And you think that when they put that HUGE background AOC  wallpaper that they do it for free ?  I'm not saying they are paid to write review, but they are certainly paid by the game they are reviewing.  In my book you can't be credible if you get money from the same guy you review.

Ah, now your talking advertising. That's totally different. You may try to connect those dots if you like, but in business, it's totally different. Just because a company pays another for advertising, it doesn't necessairly mean they bought the opinions of that company.

The issue of whether or not Mmorpg is biased for those companies by way of payment is irrelevant. Fact is, if YOU believe they are, and are still here posting and being a part of this community...don't throw stones in a glass house. It just makes you look like a hypocrite.

/salute

Well, it has certainly convinced me that he's more credible than you are, because he's right. Simple as that.

I don't mind arguing with masses, I'm doing that all my life. I'm happy to see it's so easy to convince you just by saying this guy is incorrect and i'm right. I guess you have a good life. A simple one, but definetly good.

/salute

I don't mind arguing with masses, I'm doing that all my life. I'm happy to see it's so easy to convince you just by saying this guy is incorrect and i'm right. I guess you have a good life. A simple one, but definetly good.

I do have a good, simple life. Complicated gives you stress, less enjoyment, and confusion that leads to misunderstandings and strife.

Seriously, I don't see in the article anything mentioned with the word 'idiots', so I he's right about that one at least. And you 'posing' as him in front of the mirror? That's a little asinine, don't you think?

/salute

I do have a good, simple life. Complicated gives you stress, less enjoyment, and confusion that leads to misunderstandings and strife.

Seriously, I don't see in the article anything mentioned with the word 'idiots', so I he's right about that one at least. And you 'posing' as him in front of the mirror? That's a little asinine, don't you think?

All right idiot have 0-25 IQ if im correct. Shame we can't measure the IQ of an average neanderthal. That would be a close comparison.

I think anyone who reads this (at least, i hope) would see that the review thinks anyone who players FPS games are some sort of mouth breathers (again, its on the internet), and decided to treat an entire player base with his own preconceived notions, and quite frankly dislike of that genre. I’m not even sure with this in mind that this person was even the right pick for the job, because he walked in with this notion before hand. This is where any comments about the community loose credibility. Like I said:

9 times out of 10, most people that say "This community sucks", walked in and started pissing on the drapes.

So I guess I think I'm a mouth-breather, since, looking over my game shelf, I see Far Cry 1 & 2, all the CoD games, all the Doom games, Half-Life 1 & 2, and many more.

Need I go on?

I get that you didn't like the review, that's totally cool, but man seriously, at least come up with something more than an assumption if you're going to spar with me.  So far what you've said lacks credibility, to be kind, and is flat out wrong, to be blunt. 

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Ok, bloody well enough. Not just the poster quoted here (I'm not picking on you Bloodworth, no worries).  Nowhere in the article did he say that  "Everyone who plays Age of Conan is a neanderthal. he said that this was his overall impression of ther community at large. As I saw it, he was also pretty clear about the lkinds of behavior that he felt justified the remark. Please, just let it go.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

All right idiot have 0-25 IQ if im correct. Shame we can't measure the IQ of an average neanderthal. That would be a close comparison.

Idk, even Geiko gives them the credit to be able to save money on car insurance. Even they got offended, you can even see their endeavors on a few sites showing off how smart they really are...

• CaligulugCaligulug Member Posts: 283

Jedijef. Do not let the rabbid fan bois get you down. Your review was spot on and objective. I couldn not have written it better my self.

So I guess I think I'm a mouth-breather, since, looking over my game shelf, I see Far Cry 1 & 2, all the CoD games, all the Doom games, Half-Life 1 & 2, and many more.

Need I go on?

I get that you didn't like the review, that's totally cool, but man seriously, at least come up with something more than an assumption if you're going to spar with me.  So far what you've said lacks credibility, to be kind, and is flat out wrong, to be blunt. 

I wasn’t done posting. Also, I said I liked the review. Third, you just also reinforced my point about I DONT KNOW WHO YOU ARE OR WHERE YOU COME FROM. You are still, random reviewer #49857372902, with as much history as any other poster here. This was easily a post on the forums, like I said.

Not your fault, it’s the managements here. Regardless, it’s clear from your posting that you look down on FPS, and have a distain for PvP games and have already written off anyone who plays them. That and you like to just toss out crass words to increase readership, seemingly to cover up inexperience with the genre you are reviewing. You seemed to really want to let people know that with the many many references to FPS and PvP players.

I bet you did walk in and piss on the drapes, most likely right after you made a toon on an open PvP server, and PvP happened.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Originally posted by Caligulug

Jedijef. Do not let the rabbid fan bois get you down. Your review was spot on and objective. I couldn not have written it better my self.

Not at all man, I actually appreciate the debate, as well as your support.  The personal attacks are a little uncalled for (but can be responded to in kind, frankly), but other than that I'm cool.

With that, I'll bow out of the discussion before I get myself in further trouble. 

Ok, bloody well enough. Not just the poster quoted here (I'm not picking on you Bloodworth, no worries).  Nowhere in the article did he say that  "Everyone who plays Age of Conan is a neanderthal. he said that this was his overall impression of ther community at large. As I saw it, he was also pretty clear about the lkinds of behavior that he felt justified the remark. Please, just let it go.

I did. Talk to your boy. I also disagree, you may wish to re-read the article.

From almost line one he was insulting the player base, and had already written them off. Blanket statements don't make it right.

I won't take it persional, Have him do the same.

Its an altogether magnificent scene, or, at least it was until I looked down to see the tip of a sword sticking out of my gut, the blood-red drops of gore trickling off its tip and soiling the pristine white of the snow-capped ledge beneath my sandaled feet.

advertisement

Phuxurmom, a conqueror according to my combat spam, swings his sword deftly and, in two swift strokes, my assassin lies sprawled in a pool of his own guts as they spread beneath him on the frozen tundra, his head a few feet removed from the rest of his body and his arms embarrassingly akimbo. All I can do is hurriedly click the respawn button to save my poor avatar from the tea-bagging fate that is surely worse than his latest pseudo-death. The joke of it all is that there was no rare spawn nearby, no resource node within a country mile, and really, no reason at all for the bloke's sword to be sticking out of my gullet other than the sheer spitefulness and possible adolescent maladjustment of its owner.

Dude played a PvP game, got ganked, wrote off the community. As if he didn’t know that PvP happens.

News at 11.

----------

How are you?" -Me

Originally posted by Caligulug

Not at all man, I actually appreciate the debate, as well as your support.  The personal attacks are a little uncalled for (but can be responded to in kind, frankly), but other than that I'm cool.

With that, I'll bow out of the discussion before I get myself in further trouble. 

I’m not attacking you, I am disagreeing with parts of your article.

----------

How are you?" -Me

From almost line one he was insulting the player base, and had already written them off. Blanket statements don't make it right.

/snip

Cons

Neanderthal Player Base

That's as far as I got, so I've got to agree with Mr.B here, it's nothing personal. I don't take it as such it is however a questionable approach, considering people who play this game visit this site (for now).If this is what MMORPG.com is aiming for it might not be the place for me anymore, I'd be saying this even If I didn't play the game in question btw.

Its an altogether magnificent scene, or, at least it was until I looked down to see the tip of a sword sticking out of my gut, the blood-red drops of gore trickling off its tip and soiling the pristine white of the snow-capped ledge beneath my sandaled feet.

advertisement

Phuxurmom, a conqueror according to my combat spam, swings his sword deftly and, in two swift strokes, my assassin lies sprawled in a pool of his own guts as they spread beneath him on the frozen tundra, his head a few feet removed from the rest of his body and his arms embarrassingly akimbo. All I can do is hurriedly click the respawn button to save my poor avatar from the tea-bagging fate that is surely worse than his latest pseudo-death. The joke of it all is that there was no rare spawn nearby, no resource node within a country mile, and really, no reason at all for the bloke's sword to be sticking out of my gullet other than the sheer spitefulness and possible adolescent maladjustment of its owner.

Dude played a PvP game, got ganked, wrote off the community. As if he didn’t know that PvP happens.

sorry, but maybe you need to reread it. I think the entire review was spot on, and even if he was harsh on a community, how is he wrong? Reviews are based on total personal experience. If you have had a bad experience you would be critiquing it as well. REVIEWS ARE SUBJECTIVE. That's, by definition, a review. Just because you may have had a different opinion or experience does NOT make a review wrong, nor does it make it right to YOU. Every person bases subjective truths based on their beleifs, morals, experiences, and if it is something you can experience and beleive true, then to you it is. Take religion for example, what one person beleives may be different than another persons, though neither can be true, as well as neither can be false, since there is no way to prove it, and subjectively, both parties are right.