Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: A Guide for the Fresh New Player

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Warhammer Online Correspondent John Lisenby Writes this guide that introduces the early mechanics of the game to new players who might ot be too familair with them.

What do you do when you log on? Where do you go? Who do you talk to? What does that green circle over that NPC's head mean? Don't look any further. Here are the answers you seek. This short guide goes over a number of elements that should help you get started if you're a first time player.

When you first log in to this new game world you will find many things to do. What do you do first? Me, I found out all I could about the controls, interface, and the chat. It's really pretty simple, and I've laid out a quick overview of each below:

Read the guide here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

I am sorry, but this isn't a guide.

It's title gives a user the wrong idea, like Bait and Switch for more shady businesses.

It should be titled something like ... WAR's UI and beginner tips  or something where it doesn't elude to telling the new player that this has what he needs to play WAR for the first time.  Talks nothing of the two sides, the classes, the races, the starting areas, the point of the game, etc.  How items work, housing ( I know, none but still you get the idea).

Please use more responsibility when publishing this stuff, tons of users look here to share information.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Really good beginner guide. It hits the much needed items, and some of the unique aspects of the game, and getting started. Good job, kudos to you.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• RoxiannaRoxianna Member Posts: 60

Nice guide. Good job. I am going to link it from my guild forums where members who missed the initial rush are still trickling in daily.

Thanks.

• RedmowRedmow Member Posts: 196

I need a guide on the crafting stuff. I'm dumb. Specifically salvaging and talisman making. All I know is I gotta bunch of pretty little wisp thingies.:)

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Always love the posters that critique the articles for not enough information.  You have to realize that these posters have a word count limit, so they just can't be detailed like some want. 

I thought the article was pretty good.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Is this "FRESH" like in "fresh meat" ?

• craynloncraynlon Member Posts: 255

nice article

my advice for absolute beginners would be:

do NOT join a server that has the status LOW on any side of the realms even if the system suggests that server for you. i experienced that first hand and heared it from friends as well. if you end up on a LOW population server you will miss out what makes the game great i.e. public quest (for pvers) and rvr szenarios, world rvr  (for pvpers).

i know this suggestion may be counter productive but i had to tell a lot of people that otherwise would have quit the game to try a mid-populated server and after they saw what the game was about they said theyd stay.

even the login queue  on the HIGH populated servers makes up for it presenting a really living, breathing, warring mmo with almost instant pvp or pqs options 

if your bored, visit my blog at:
    http://craylon.wordpress.com/ dealing with the look of mmos with the nvidia 3d vision glasses

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

Good article.  It has some useful *practical* tips for playing rather than getting into the broader concepts of the game (which would take dozens of articles to cover).

I was a beta tester and I even learned a new trick (the backpack filter) from the article.  Thanks! 

• IpcryssIpcryss Member UncommonPosts: 169

Regarding the circles; you forgot to mention that a blue circle over a Rally Master's head means that you have influence rewards available.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Always love the posters that critique the articles for not enough information.  You have to realize that these posters have a word count limit, so they just can't be detailed like some want. 
    I thought the article was pretty good.

Actually, I was critiquing the title in being misleading.  I never said the info wasn't good, and I even gave an alternative title as an example.

Please get your facts straight before coming at me.

And yes I know it's me, cause I was the only one with the gumption to stand up and state it in a clear non flaming troll way.

• HowatchHowatch Member UncommonPosts: 36

Ty for good informative article on how to start in here. I need all the help I can get and this is helpful for me. Keep up the good work :)

• SttuocSttuoc Member Posts: 1

"And last of all there is a nice PDF file named "Player Guide".

I can't find this pdf. Is it in the WAR directory? on the DVD?

Thanks

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

Just a note on the Bags.   As you level up, you will automatically be given more bag space.  And there is a pretty hefty amount of storage in the Bank (Located in the Capital Cities).

So, if you have stuff you want tokeep, fly (its real cheap) to the City and bank it.  Like mats you have collected that are to high level to use.

Also, DO NOT vendor your Green or better items that drop and are not bound to you.  Use the Auction House (yes, there are players out there with some Silver to spend) and you will have your 15g for the mount long before you hit 20.  Plus a lot more.

Avoid the temptation to buy stuff on the AH unless it is at or just above your level, really cheap, and really, really good.  Gear drops and rewards come often in WAR.

Good Hunting

WAAAAAGGHH

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Sttuoc

Thanks

That file was originally part of the Beta install.  Do not know what replaces it now.

Originally posted by Shoal

Originally posted by Sttuoc

Thanks

That file was originally part of the Beta install.  Do not know what replaces it now.

The instruction manual that comes with the game maybe? :P

I have the copy of the beta manual.. i think.. hmm, Yeah I should.  But I dare not host it for fear of reprecussions : /

• jerimithomasjerimithomas Member Posts: 1

ty so much for this little guide man, being im COMPLETLY new to the WAR world and never played WOW, i was REALLY confused about the whole RVR thing and i was searching all night while i was donwloading for some help, and your guide explained it really good and now i kow what level i should start at, and some basic ideas about it. keep on making guides dude u rock and ty again.

• greydorgreydor Member Posts: 153

just a shame RVR was down to push a button for a scenario