Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR: EA executive "we gonna outsell WoW".................

ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

www.videogaming247.com/2008/10/24/wow-is-the-target-with-the-old-republic-says-lucasarts-and-ea/

I know Bioware+EA+Lucas has to be positive, but to me they are slightly deluded.

This game is never going to go even close to WoW.

It will be a success, but it doesn't have the "addiction" element WoW has (ES: Epic gear grinding in BGs and Raidinf).

Quite frankly the way I see it is that SWTOR will be a single player game wsith MMO function, which means that yo will be able to meet other players in the same world, but 80% of the game will be focused on you and your story, cutting out other MMO elements.

Don't get me wrong I will be the first to buy this game, since I am a fan of Bioware games, but my approach will be more like buying Kotor 3 rather than Kotor Online.

I will "beat" all the PvE in few weeks like I do normally then I will move on to another game, I don't think I am gonna subscribe for long to this game.

Comments

• Balkin31Balkin31 Member UncommonPosts: 224

It's Star Wars so no matter how the game sounds today on paper the IP alone has the chance to sell very good. I am unsure as to whether or not it can hold as many subscriptions as WOW but I guess we will have to wait and see.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

how would you know that this game is not addictive...seriously...? how.

probably wont outsell wow becasue it sci-fi and thats the only reason atm imo.....its to early to tell how well it will do though.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• pixeldogmeatpixeldogmeat Member Posts: 441

With the new star wars movies catered to children and the weekly show that appears on cartoon network, I don't think some people are factoring in a lot of fresh blood for a star wars game.

I think with the right marketing they will have some decent sales.

I on the other hand, don't give a crap. I hope they just stop development and spend money on something useful like helping homeless people or something.

PLAY WURM ONLINE!! www.wurmonline.com

• KrissKriss Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by ste2000

it doesn't have the "addiction" element WoW has.

Holy crap! You've already played the game?!?! I mean how else would you know what elements are in the game and if they are addicting or not?

I don't mean to troll and I understand the chance that it my just be phrasing...But I couldn't pass up the chance.

Das Uber Lurker!

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

I think it will since there are more star wars fans on the world than there are warcraft fans and especialy if they put it on consoles too which I think they will since a lot of kotor fans and now TFU fans are from consoles.  Plus they said the combat is going to be like a console action game instead of the standard combat thats in most mmos.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Kriss

it doesn't have the "addiction" element WoW has.

Holy crap! You've already played the game?!?! I mean how else would you know what elements are in the game and if they are addicting or not?

I don't mean to troll and I understand the chance that it my just be phrasing...But I couldn't pass up the chance.

The key is "Story Driven".........if you know what it means you will know that doesn't involve months grinding epic gear in BGs or Raids......................

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

www.videogaming247.com/2008/10/24/wow-is-the-target-with-the-old-republic-says-lucasarts-and-ea/

I know Bioware+EA+Lucas has to be positive, but to me they are slightly deluded.

It will be a success, but it doesn't have the "addiction" element WoW has.

Quite frankly the way I see it is that SWTOR will be a single player game wsith MMO function, which means that yo will be able to meet other players in the same world, but 80% of the game will be focused on you and your story, cutting out other MMO elements.

Don't get me wrong I will be the first to buy this game, since I am a fan of Bioware games, but my approach will be more like buying Kotor 3 rather than Kotor Online.

I will "beat" all the PvE in few weeks like I do normally then I will move on to another game, I don't think I am gonna subscribe for long to this game.

I think it's pretty premature for anyone from LA/Bioware/EA to make any statements about being in the same league as WoW.  That's like a grade schooler saying they can ball with someone from the NBA.  Time will tell, it always does.  However, is the potential there for this game to outsell WoW?  Of course it is because it's Star Wars.  The problem is the development of the game isn't finished, make this statement a year after launch when sub number are on the rise, not 2 years before launch. lmao

• KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831

A couple of points:

1) That's what people said about WoW.  No one, least of all Blizzard, expected WoW to become as successful as it has

2) What "addiction" element does WoW have that other MMOs don't?  And are you psychic, how do you know STOR won't have that element?

3) The way you see it is...you haven't seen it.  So stop pretending like you have.  BioWare is going for something new here and you're trying to judge it based on preconceived notions.  Only fools do that.

That said, I do agree this game won't outsell WoW because WoW's success is based on its popularity in Asia, which makes up the vast majority of Blizzard's fanbase.  However, BioWare is very well known and popular in North America so I wouldn't doubt if it seriously cut into Blizzard's North American subscriptions.   The last few MMOs that were supposed to be "WoW-killers" never stood a chance.  But BioWare's reputation combined with the resources of EA and LucasArts means this game is going to be popular no matter what you do to try and prevent it

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• KrissKriss Member Posts: 34

So you are implying that the story it self and the progression of that story won't/can't be addicting? This game is a good year or two from release anything you say now is speculation. IMHO a *good* story driven MMO with *RPG* would be way more addicting then grinding and raids.

Das Uber Lurker!

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

If their expectation going in is we're going to out WoW WoW, then they're predestined for epic fail.

I'm pretty much convinced that WoW is an outlier as an MMO, mainly because so much of its success is based on "it's from Blizzard!" and the fanbase that's associated with Blizzard, built up over the last 15 or so years.

Part of SWG's problem was that LEC (along with SOE) thought they could push their usual bantha poodoo in a box and reap ridiculous rewards.  SWG had the potential to be the first million subscriber MMO, but as addicts to the Dark Side they showed no patience (in releasing the game early buggy and unpolished) and were all too eager to jump on the quick and easy path (major revisions to be more like WoW) with disasterous results.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• mmcguire2mmcguire2 Member Posts: 310

Arg…I was so looking forwarded to this game and now not so much. Everyone keeps asking for something new but anything new only wants to be better then WoW. I would like to see a MMO being made because it’s a good idea NOT to be better then WoW.

• KokushibyouKokushibyou Member UncommonPosts: 230

How can you possibly know this about a game that is barely into developement?
    How can you possibly know this about a game that is barely into developement?

Why do people think that because they read an interview or two that they are somehow experts on things that don't exist yet?  Truly, baffles the mind.  And I refer both to the OP and Bioware.

Originally posted by SioBabble

If their expectation going in is we're going to out WoW WoW, then they're predestined for epic fail.
    I'm pretty much convinced that WoW is an outlier as an MMO, mainly because so much of its success is based on "it's from Blizzard!" and the fanbase that's associated with Blizzard, built up over the last 15 or so years.

I agree.  But BioWare is on par with Blizzard for having a well-established, rabid, LARGE fanbase.  More so than any other developer since 2004.

BioWare and Blizzard are comparable in a lot of ways.   Obviously, like I said in the last post, a lot of Blizzard's support is it's large Asian consumer base which certainly gives them the advantage.

----------

So you are implying that the story it self and the progression of that story won't/can't be addicting? This game is a good year or two from release anything you say now is speculation. IMHO a *good* story driven MMO with *RPG* would be way more addicting then grinding and raids.

What I am saying is that developers cannot ceate thousands of hours of interesting storyline it is just not possible, you need that ampunt of hours if you want to keep a player paying a subscription for years.

What I am saying is that SWTOR will be more or less like Kotor 2, but in a massive world.

The story will run out eventually so the interest of the players.

Of course is my opinion, but from the information around the web, it looks like it is just a KOTOR 3 with MMO elements, rather than a real MMORPG.

What I am saying is that developers cannot ceate thousands of hours of interesting storyline it is just not possible, you need that ampunt of hours if you want to keep a player paying a subscription for years.

What I am saying is that SWTOR will be more or less like Kotor 2, but in a massive world.

Of course is my opinion, but from the information around the web, it looks like it is just a KOTOR 3 with MMO elements, rather than a real MMORPG.

You do realize of course that BioWare has stated they are going to be employing a full-time staff of 12 committed professional BioWare approved writers?  And that they've already produced more content than all their games since Baldur's Gate + all the expansions COMBINED?

Methinks thou dost protest too much.  

----------

• VolatileManVolatileMan Member Posts: 45

Not that I disagree with you contention that It may wont make to WoW numbers, but I do wonder what the heck you mean WoW has an 'addictive quality' that SWTOR wont have? What is this addictive quality and how can you surmise SWTOR wont have it?

Also what makes WoW 'more' than a single player game with some mmo functions (that you claim SWTOR will only be)???

• AselliaAsellia Member UncommonPosts: 174

I'm actually very excited, and I am a huge fan of Bioware, and the majority of their games. I don't think it will outsell WoW, just because WoW has been around longer, more people got to know it, ect. But, I do think it will be a lot of fun.

In all honesty, not saying it's wrong to find it addictive or anything like that, but I found WoW to be extremely boring, and immensly repetitive. I find most MMOs to be like that. I for one cannot STAND grinding, I find it to be so unbelievebly boring. So, a story-driven MMORPG is definitely something for me to be excited about. I myself am not one of the biggest fans of starwars, I have seen all 6 movies though and did enjoy them, plus played KoToR, which I loved.

Hopefully bioware wont disappoint (Not that they ever have. Least for me.) , in my opinion it shouldn't matter if it kills WoW, long as the game is good i'll pay for it.

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

in todays market not many mmo's have much of a chance to hit the 1 million subscriber mark let alone wow numbers.....With that said.....

The Warcraft (WoW) ip isnt as huge as Star War's bottomline....

Everyone knew WoW was gonna be a sucess simply because Blizzard was developing it and the Warcraft ip has had some huge sucess prior to wow... And the exact same can be said for Bioware and Star War's.

When it comes to rpg's..Bioware and blizzard are in a laegue with a few..

No reason to already come to the conclusion that Star Wars wont be as succesfull or even more sucessfull than wow...

but reason isnt something you fanboi's tend to display so spin it how ya like.

Originally posted by youngkg

in todays market not many mmo's have much of a chance to hit the 1 million subscriber mark let alone wow numbers.....With that said.....
    The Warcraft (WoW) ip isnt as huge as Star War's bottomline....
    Everyone knew WoW was gonna be a sucess simply because Blizzard was developing it and the Warcraft ip has had some huge sucess prior to wow... And the exact same can be said for Bioware and Star War's.
    When it comes to rpg's..Bioware and blizzard are in a laegue with a few..
    No reason to already come to the conclusion that Star Wars wont be as succesfull or even more sucessfull than wow...
    but reason isnt something you fanboi's tend to display so spin it how ya like.

I agree with most of what you've said here, especially the part about Bioware and Blizzard being in a league of a few.  The one X factor that scares me a little about this game is EA's envolvement in the process.  Sure, they have as much money/resources as any company out there, but I don't view them any differently than SOE as far as quality.  EA does not have a spectacular record and I fear what they may do during development to bork this game.  It's all speculation at this point but it gnaws at me when I think about the game. lol  Also, if this game is even going to go over 1 million subs they need to take care of the people who play the game in Europe/Asia.  Blizzard did a great job in making WoW available to the largest MMO markets and that is in my opinion why it does so well.  Koreans love grind fests, see Lineage II et. all for reference.

• WRyanWRyan Member Posts: 266
    Originally posted by SgtFrog

how would you know that this game is not addictive...seriously...? how.

probably wont outsell wow becasue it sci-fi and thats the only reason atm imo.....its to early to tell how well it will do though.

When this thing hits the store shelves... Sci-Fi could be the new "it" thing in MMO's.  We've already got a few of them coming out next year, and Futruristic Settings are big in Single Player games nowadays.  So... the market can change in their favor in a couple of years, easily.

I think it will sell very well, but you do have a valid point.  Sci-Fi MMO's are still new ground, even though EVE Online has been on the case for a few years now.  All other Sci-Fi MMO's have been complete failures, though - SWG and Tabula Rasa are the only two that come to mind.... well... and RF Online... which isn't even on the map anymore - I could be mistaking though, there may be others I haven't thought about that are currently out.

But, Star Wars Sci-Fi is slightly different than your other fare.  I mean, most Sci-Fi media has to explain the existence of everything, where fantasy can borrow heavily from the LotR lore, without much consequence.  This is a major disadvantage for Science Fiction.  But, like I said, Star Wars is a bit different, in that it's been around for a long time, and people already know what everything is.  Star Trek is also in this boat, and... Stargate to some extent, I guess (although not as much.)

Originally posted by Korusus

You do realize of course that BioWare has stated they are going to be employing a full-time staff of 12 committed professional BioWare approved writers?  And that they've already produced more content than all their games since Baldur's Gate + all the expansions COMBINED?

Methinks thou dost protest too much.  

You do realise that in order to make a single player game RPG like KOTOR it takes a couple of years, while the the content can be "grinded" in just few weeks?

How many years Bioware will have to spend in order to create the massive number of storyline required to keep the player interested to their MMO for more than few weeks like it usually happens in a single player RPG?

I said it is unrealistic.

If Bioware can do it, I won't be complaining since I like their games, but I really can't see how can they keep up with the pace of players while creating story driven content.............

• ForcanForcan Member UncommonPosts: 700

Of all the things to screw up, EA is making the same mistake as SOE (targeting WoW and want to be the "WoW killer"...)

I will not say whether this game will succeed or fail, but if their vision is to the next "WoW killer", I do fear for the future of this game...

Current MMO: FFXIV:ARR

Past MMO: Way too many (P2P and F2P)

• achellisachellis Member Posts: 542

i really think this game will sell out WoW, i mean this is Star Wars and WoW is just getting to become old news even with the new expansion its the same game.

Originally posted by mmofringer

and they just doomed themselves. any game that shoots for wow fails hard. when will developers learn?

QFT, that should not be the goal of any developer when making games imo.  Make a solid, engaging, bugless MMO with massive pvp and engaging/meaningful pve and the rest will take care of itself.

• fcnd05fcnd05 Member Posts: 29

I like the confidence but how can any company make such a claim?  Sure, the Star Wars brand has a huge following and Bioware has a great record of developing single player games no denying it.  It is the wrong approach to try to be a "WOW" killer.  I would prefer an MMO be developed to be the best it can in it's specific realm.  WOW and Star Wars are not of the same ilk in terms of setting space vs mediviel.  To imply that this game is going to be a WOW killer means their model is to attract and sustain subscribers is to cater to the carebears and be less focued on grouping.

I don't believe Bioware even has a track record for an MMO.  I know Blizzard didn't either and they succeeded to a high degree.  This is encouraging for Bioware but I fear that this game will be hyped into dissappointment just like ever other MMO released post WOW.

This is my opinion of course to which I am entitled.

This discussion has been closed.