Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Instant gratification...

DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

From TOR forums

NancyMcIntyre
Hello all!

Firstly allow me to share with you the celebration and excitement at the release of Star Wars: The Old Republic. I am sure this will be a game to look forward to!

My friends at Lucas Arts have asked me to pop in and share some of the news you have all been waiting for!

Star Wars : The Old Republic will not contain the excessive amount of reading and complexity the classic SWG game had - we are aiming for an instant gratification (kill, loot, repeat) system you've all want. We have conducted extensive focus group testing these past few years and are giving everyone the chance to immerse themselves in an iconic and starwasy environment. As such, we are delighted to share that your initial encounter with Darth Raven will be as an unforgettable event as they come!

Best Regards,

Nancy.

So far my reading is : they want us to be THE hero in a cartoonish game with instant gratification.

Rated T for Teen.

Comments

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

It's not really instant gratification.  They want you to play through a good story and enjoy it like with all their games.  In fact they have said that they don't want people to focus on loot.  They want them to focus on the story.

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822
    Originally posted by Flyte27

It's not really instant gratification.  They want you to play through a good story and enjoy it like with all their games.  In fact they have said that they don't want people to focus on loot.  They want them to focus on the story.

Im confused ....they just said its an instant gratification system. Im leaning toward this game being even more of a WOW clone than SWG turned into ...but hopefuly not.

• Daedalus732Daedalus732 Member Posts: 589

Did you miss the part where she said the game was about instant gratification?

I remember when saying such a thing was anathema to the MMO world. Now it appears to be the norm.

If they just want people to play through a good story, why make it an MMO? Why not just make it another good single player game? 

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

I fear that this game might well be a letdown for people who are in a huge hurry to get to the endgame and don't bother paying attention to the journey.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• WharmasterWharmaster Member Posts: 234

OP...you DO realise that was a mock post made by a troll, right?

Satire too subtle for ya?

I remember back in 1999, folks kept asking me if I was stockpiling food. I always answered, "No, I'm stockpiling ammo and making a list of people who are stockpiling food"

• Daedalus732Daedalus732 Member Posts: 589
    Originally posted by SioBabble

I fear that this game might well be a letdown for people who are in a huge hurry to get to the endgame and don't bother paying attention to the journey.

That really begs a whole new question. Will a story based game even have an "End Game"? Or will you be expected to play the game all over again as a different character?

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by Wharmaster
    OP...you DO realise that was a mock post made by a troll, right?
    Satire too subtle for ya? image

He he :)

Well, I hope it will make mods show themselves.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803
    Originally posted by Daedalus732

That really begs a whole new question. Will a story based game even have an "End Game"? Or will you be expected to play the game all over again as a different character?

Yes, and it's a good question.   Stories have beginnings, middles, and ends.  In life, the endgame is the grave.  Why are people so eager to get to it?

Unless they're planning on people not being subscribed to their game for any more than six months, they need to have some endgame content, and that doesn't dovetail well with selling an RPG once to tell one story.  An MMO is not like a stand alone game.  SWG always had this problem...it was tied to an IP that revolved around a single story of one family, and tried to break out and make it about the extras, but a lot of people just don't have the ability to make their own fun, and SWG originally was not very good at providing them with tools to do so.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• DharokDharok Member Posts: 13

Yes, and it's a good question.   Stories have beginnings, middles, and ends.  In life, the endgame is the grave.  Why are people so eager to get to it?
    Unless they're planning on people not being subscribed to their game for any more than six months, they need to have some endgame content, and that doesn't dovetail well with selling an RPG once to tell one story.  An MMO is not like a stand alone game.  SWG always had this problem...it was tied to an IP that revolved around a single story of one family, and tried to break out and make it about the extras, but a lot of people just don't have the ability to make their own fun, and SWG originally was not very good at providing them with tools to do so.

This was one of the reasons people had problems with AoC. Alot of people rush to get the max level only to find that not alot has been developed for it with only 1 - 2 months gone past since release. And I expect if the same trend continues with WAR, I guess it may go the same way. But theres alot of new games set to be released before this does. Perhaps the trend will change :)

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

I remember when saying such a thing was anathema to the MMO world. Now it appears to be the norm.

If they just want people to play through a good story, why make it an MMO? Why not just make it another good single player game? 

Instant gratification comes from getting loot quickly without much work put into it.  Being that game is more story focused then loot focused I'm not sure how it will have instant gratification.

• Raiz1Raiz1 Member Posts: 177

Instant gratification comes from getting loot quickly without much work put into it.  Being that game is more story focused then loot focused I'm not sure how it will have instant gratification.

You are not applying the instant gratification to the full spectrum of the MMO genre. Its not just loot.

Its level/skill progression, its the absolving players of the need to apply any thought to their character to make them powerful, its having a ridiculous crafting system that does not have a foundation or a foothold in the game itself.

Instant gratification is about taking away the labor pains and handing a pregnant woman her baby.