Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Updates from Around the Web

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Yesterday, we learned that BioWare was making Star Wars: The Old Republic. In our announcement feature, we told you that we would continue to follow the story as it developed and so today we bring you this assortment of details from coverage around the web.

With the announcement of BioWare’s Star Wars: The Old Republic MMORPG less than 24 hours in the past, more and more information is beginning to surface concerning the early details of the game. Our own coverage here at MMORPG.com, which was posted shortly after the announcement, gives a good overview, but in the interest of keeping you, our readers, as informed as possible, we have spent some time scouring the web for new tidbits that we may have missed.

Our report mentioned both that the game would be story based, and that players would have access to companion characters similar to those in earlier Old Republic games. Massively is reporting that the game will make use of dialogue trees (think more like Age of Conan than say, Warhammer). These trees will allow players to make decisions within the dialogue that not only impact your companion, but that are irreversible. Remember in the old games, where you choices impacted on your companions… Kinda like that. Not a new idea for the franchise, but certainly a new concept in MMORPGs.

Read the update here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

Yep, it's gonna be KOTOR3: Online.

Doesn't even sound like there'll be a need for crafting or an AH at this rate...

• tysonj25tysonj25 Member UncommonPosts: 66

I love how people make statements about a game we know nothing about. 

• YunbeiYunbei Member Posts: 898

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

The one BIG question mark, and so far the only serious concern I have is this: how can a MMO be so much story driven and still succeed in making people cooperate. So far I hear a lot how you as a single player are hero of a story, fine. But I hear not two class stories cross, so how are people ever supposed to work together on a shared goal, as in the usual quests, when everything you decide and experience is so exclusive? Doesnt the need to cooperate the inclusion of trivial standard quests a necessity? Somehow it starts to sound like a single player game with an online longe to meet and talk, and that would really spooky.

This part of "having no day to day stuff" or what seriously concerns me tbh. How can any player take part in a MMO, which is supposed to have players busy at least for many months, if not years, and still be always heroic and story driven? Even with dozens of writers, the usual amount of daily hours of an average MMO geek will EASILY surpass ANY heroic content they can create, let alone unique for every class!

I kinda hope this is more RP blah blah, and in the end we will have the level of story-driven we have seen in AoC's Tortage area, the first 20 levels, where you have some personal parts but by and large a normal MMO. I really would be let down if I subscribe to an MMO and everyone is vanished in instances of single player heroic stories. We'll have to see.

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Originally posted by Yunbei

The one BIG question mark, and so far the only serious concern I have is this: how can a MMO be so much story driven and still succeed in making people cooperate. So far I hear a lot how you as a single player are hero of a story, fine. But I hear not two class stories cross, so how are people ever supposed to work together on a shared goal, as in the usual quests, when everything you decide and experience is so exclusive? Doesnt the need to cooperate the inclusion of trivial standard quests a necessity? Somehow it starts to sound like a single player game with an online longe to meet and talk, and that would really spooky.

This part of "having no day to day stuff" or what seriously concerns me tbh. How can any player take part in a MMO, which is supposed to have players busy at least for many months, if not years, and still be always heroic and story driven? Even with dozens of writers, the usual amount of daily hours of an average MMO geek will EASILY surpass ANY heroic content they can create, let alone unique for every class!
    I kinda hope this is more RP blah blah, and in the end we will have the level of story-driven we have seen in AoC's Tortage area, the first 20 levels, where you have some personal parts but by and large a normal MMO. I really would be let down if I subscribe to an MMO and everyone is vanished in instances of single player heroic stories. We'll have to see.

I think you might be reading too much into the not having day to day stuff... Basically, I think that was their way of saying there won`t be aan emphasis on those kinds of things.

As to your point on the single playerness of it: Well, I don`t think that the personal storylines are going to be the whole of the game. They probably make up a fraction of it. If BioWare is smart, they`re going to give players plenty to do together and with luck, helping other players complete their personal quests will be rewarding for other party members as well. We`ll have to wait and see, but I don`t think that you`re going to have to worry about a lack of socialization. There would have been no reason to do an MMO version otherwsie.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• YunbeiYunbei Member Posts: 898
    Originally posted by Stradden

I think you might be reading too much into the not having day to day stuff... Basically, I think that was their way of saying there won`t be aan emphasis on those kinds of things.

As to your point on the single playerness of it: Well, I don`t think that the personal storylines are going to be the whole of the game. They probably make up a fraction of it. If BioWare is smart, they`re going to give players plenty to do together and with luck, helping other players complete their personal quests will be rewarding for other party members as well. We`ll have to wait and see, but I don`t think that you`re going to have to worry about a lack of socialization. There would have been no reason to do an MMO version otherwsie.

Good points! Rationally I feel you are right. This story uniqueness talk just freaked me out a little, heh.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Lotro has made story driven a huge success,perhaps a similar system may be incorporated here .. just guessing tho..

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Too bad the art-style isn't even Starwasy. This game might as well have been a single player game, because it most certainly has nothing Star Wars oriented about it based on everything we've been told and can see with our eyes ^.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• BolthornBolthorn Member Posts: 13

I have a feeling that the story driven parts they are talking about are going to be like Conan where you can do those things alone but also have alot of others stuff you can do with friends. I for one cannot wait to see this game. I played SWG but soon found that there was nothing to do after a while and the nerfs just ruined it for me

• MageThiefMageThief Member Posts: 18

Oh,,, I dont know if I gonna scream of joy or fear. Love Bioware as developer, love the KotOR IP, but I dont know if it would be best to leave KotOR as a singelplayer game or if it will kick ass as an MMO. Well time will tell I guess.

-<[ Damn Dirty Apes ]>-
    -<[ Merde Souill

• Devildog1Devildog1 Member Posts: 494

Well tbh I'm kinda sceptical but I'll wait till open beta to see!

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by Bolthorn

I have a feeling that the story driven parts they are talking about are going to be like Conan where you can do those things alone but also have alot of others stuff you can do with friends. I for one cannot wait to see this game. I played SWG but soon found that there was nothing to do after a while and the nerfs just ruined it for me

As I was saying the way they have done the Story mode in Lotro is brilliant... you dont have to do it if you dont want to you can go through the game anyway you want really. But doing the storyline adds so much more to the game experience imo. I think you may be right tho .. but in AoC the choices you make in the story mode dont really make any difference.

So if Bioware can pul it off where your choices do make a huge difference it could be awesome. They might need to find a balance though because alot of players probably wont want to be tied to the story line so it could be a difficult balance to get right .

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Hopefully the story dont evolve around another killing of 50 boars to get 10 ears, but include betrayer quest ....

RIP Orc Choppa

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061
    Originally posted by tysonj25

I love how people make statements about a game we know nothing about. 

Yes, especially when they're teary-eyed SWG vets. It just makes my day.

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Too bad the art-style isn't even Starwasy. This game might as well have been a single player game, because it most certainly has nothing Star Wars oriented about it based on everything we've been told and can see with our eyes ^.

Ya know, I think the thread that you created about this exact same topic is probably sufficient for your views on this. There's no need to repeat it in every thread.

You aren't too interested in the game. That's cool, but please don't continue to spam the same info over and ver again all over these forums.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

In their interview, Muzyka says that, “It’s not a day-in-the-life of Star Wars”. Instead, he tells them that it’s about being a hero. Obviously, this puts a damper on players who may have been hoping to spend their time strictly as an entertainer or moisture farmer.

This was one of the most encouraging things they could have said about this MMORPG. This is Star Wars. It’s not about owning a shop or growing crops. It’s about fighting for the fate of the galaxy.

Bioware gets this and I expect they’ll focus first on making a fun game rather then following the insipid design choices of the SOE developers.  A wonderful, player-interdependent crafting system doesn’t help when you ignore balance and gameplay design problems.   Star Wars isn’t a story about musicians.    I'm looking forward to seeing a company who finally understands that produce a real Star Wars MMORPG.

• ZodiaEclipseZodiaEclipse Member Posts: 100

I'm actually pretty excited about this. The trick is not to hope for another SWG because that isn't going to happen, rather just hope for a good Star Wars game. From what I've read Bio Ware has done well with their KOTOR line so it's not unreasonable to think that they could make a game that is fun to play in a world that is fun to be in.

Thanks for all the new tidbits, I'll be looking forward to more.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Thanks for the update.

Few others points I read here and there:

• There will be crafting but you won't craft shoes
    • Ships will be customizable
    • Regarding pre-alpha pics: lightsabers will get smaller but not too much
    • Can only have one compagnion at a time with you
    • Could have special achievements for not having (using?) compagnions
    • Character customisation = sliders (many?) with 3 positions only
    • Korriban starting planet for Sith
  • JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

The Good:

I love a good Star Wars story and being able to develop a character in a virtual Star Wars world with other fans sounds awesome.

The Bad:

Judging by the screen shots, the graphics look closer to The Clone Wars animated movie rather than more realistic graphics, like SWG strived for. The lightsaber in that one Jedi's hand looked like he was holding a spray paint can, it was huge, quite contrary to the elegant weapon the lightsaber is. While I liked KoToR, I prefer controlling only one character.

I can't wait t hear more about the game mechanics, what there is to do other than questing, and abuot what classes will be offered at release.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• SouvecSouvec Member UncommonPosts: 698

WoW.... don't we already have a multitude of MMO's that play you out to be the hero, and even one now after several updates.... that already has a SW flavor?  Well the wait is over, maybe you'll have a SW MMO to play that may carry with it a better story and less bugs, but once again will be nothing different and won't be what most were expecting.

I know it wasn't what I was hoping for, but I am sure there are many who will gobble this one up just like WoW.

Originally posted by Alienovrlord

In their interview, Muzyka says that, “It’s not a day-in-the-life of Star Wars”. Instead, he tells them that it’s about being a hero. Obviously, this puts a damper on players who may have been hoping to spend their time strictly as an entertainer or moisture farmer.
    This was one of the most encouraging things they could have said about this MMORPG. This is Star Wars. It’s not about owning a shop or growing crops. It’s about fighting for the fate of the galaxy.
    Bioware gets this and I expect they’ll focus first on making a fun game rather then following the insipid design choices of the SOE developers.  A wonderful, player-interdependent crafting system doesn’t help when you ignore balance and gameplay design problems.   Star Wars isn’t a story about musicians.    I'm looking forward to seeing a company who finally understands that produce a real Star Wars MMORPG.

I am surprised, a post in this thread that I completely identify with. Too bad many of the hardcore SWG-style sandbox advocates will just read; "I want a wow clone with no depth and a level based progression system, which is bad.. mmkay..." when they see your post.

• just_becausejust_because Member Posts: 6

this looks like it's gonna be yet another game clone, a "quest-based" game on rails, a-la WoW.

Where's the freedom of SWG?  the sandboxing???

Jedi fest?  what's this? A glowstick dance party?

lame, very lame

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

For the follow up. Here are the main concerns / most replied thread so far on the main web site.

1. Don't make Jedi a starting profession
    2. Who plans not to start off as a Jedi
    3. Crafter based economy! Please
    4. Realistic Graphics (let your voice be heard)
    5. Join date 10.21.2008
    6. Fix Lightsabers

I was pretty sure Jedi and Crafting would be are in the top. Still the graphics are a suprize, for the less...

However it's strange compagnions aren't also high, I mean for an MMO.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Hmm. Well I hope it's not a Hub-based game like DDO and GW. As long as it has wide open areas, multiple cities/planets to travel to and the interactive instances that the Hero Engine supposedly excels at, I think this game might be fun. I'm a big fan of the KOTOR games. I look forward to hearing more.

Joined - July 2004

Originally posted by just_because

this looks like it's gonna be yet another game clone, a "quest-based" game on rails, a-la WoW.

Where's the freedom of SWG?  the sandboxing???

Jedi fest?  what's this? A glowstick dance party?

lame, very lame

And yet an other SWG cry-baby manages to completely ignore the time period differences between SWTOR and SWG, well done!

• ForcanForcan Member UncommonPosts: 700
    Originally posted by Hrothmund

Originally posted by Alienovrlord

I am surprised, a post in this thread that I completely identify with. Too bad many of the hardcore SWG-style sandbox advocates will just read; "I want a wow clone with no depth and a level based progression system, which is bad.. mmkay..." when they see your post.

I somewhat agree with the both of you, but I think Star Wars is more than that.  It's not just about fighting for the fate of the galaxy (even though that's the major premise on the outside), it's also how someone rise to become the hero (not mentioning the prequels, in ep. 4 - 6, you see the journey of a young farmer rise to become the champion of the Republic, the hero, in Luke).

I'm waiting and see if Bioware can pull it off to have both the journey to become the hero, and the fighting for the fate of galaxy in the same game, since I have not seen it in any other games.

Current MMO: FFXIV:ARR

Past MMO: Way too many (P2P and F2P)