Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It looks like those horridly cheap saturday mourning disney shows...

Am I the only one who thinks disney took a massive dump on Bioware's front lawn, and then bioware ran outside and used what was in that mess for their graphics engine?!

This looks NOTHING like ANY kind of starwars you'd want to play. It doesn't even resemble Kotor to the SMALLEST degree. Is not a SINGLE person pissed off with their art direction, or has mmorpg.com turned into an xbox360 kiddy fest?!?!

Seriously.....look at this crap they call "Star Wars"...note the size of the sabers and their energy streams:

Heres another crapfest for you to look at, note again the size of the saber, saber blade, and the character style:

Now, for comparison.....KOTOR style, note a low-quality image showing their character design/style and lightsaber style:

Seriously, would any of you actually play Wow-Star Wars, AKA: Star Wars: The Old Republic, if it were released right now if it didn't have any true bugs to speak of? Speaking merely about the graphical + Art style of the game, because theres no way in hell I could "immerse" myself into a part-WoW, part-Heros Online, Star Wars.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Comments

• TrashcantoyTrashcantoy Member Posts: 827

cry more please

what does this rant add to the other 1000 thread about the graphics? or do u just need some attention..

MMOs currently playing: -
    About to play: Lord of the Rings Online
    Played: Anarchy Online (alltime favorite) and lots of f2p titles (honorable mentions: 9Dragons, Martial Heroes, Dekaron, Atlantica Online)

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

How bout be less of an ass please? I couldn't find an actual thread depicting the horror that is their graphics engine. Unless previous ones have been moved or deleted.

Hell, even the poll about the graphics has no one complaining about the graphics. So wtf are you talking about son?

• TrashcantoyTrashcantoy Member Posts: 827

lol u dont see people complaining?

btw: grow up, how sad is it to complain about some concept art? if u dont like the style then bugger off, i dont feel like the graphics are nice but im not making threads talking crap about disney

MMOs currently playing: -
    About to play: Lord of the Rings Online
    Played: Anarchy Online (alltime favorite) and lots of f2p titles (honorable mentions: 9Dragons, Martial Heroes, Dekaron, Atlantica Online)

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

You know that they are prolly no where near done with the graphics, I mean just look at the fact that there is no shadows yet.  Those screens are prolly just from early alpha.  I think when done it will look similar to the next gen prince of persia which I am happy with.

• singsofdeathsingsofdeath Member UncommonPosts: 1,812
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

How bout be less of an ass please? I couldn't find an actual thread depicting the horror that is their graphics engine. Unless previous ones have been moved or deleted.

Hell, even the poll about the graphics has no one complaining about the graphics. So wtf are you talking about son?

If there are so few people complaining about the graphics....does that give you a hint?

I'll tell you though the things that many people say over at the official forums.

Generally, the Art-Style and so on seem to be widely accepted. What most everyone disagrees with are the Lightsaber models in the screenshots. So I'm guessing BioWare will work on that.

From what I've read so far, the majority of people are alright with the art-direction in general, meaning the more stylized approach.

Plus, you are looking at Pre-Alpha screenies. So expect to see improvements and changes.

But knowing people, this will fall on deaf ears.

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923

Sorry i agree with 3on1 to an extent, did you not read the other post about these shots being alpha shot's and would definately be improved upon in a closer to finish build? The graphics here IMO are not that bad well not as bad as you are suggesting i think you comparison is a little off, i mean yes they are cartoony but just check out the other thread in relation to the graphics and see the comparison's of other game's in alpha to final release, the Gild Wars one was a perfect example.

I just think you are getting a little worked up a little too soon.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

I agree with you, those graphics look like utter crap. Ignore the little whining about whiners people, if we make our voice heard early, there is a better chance they will change it. Those graphics would definitely kill immersion for me.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• SoupgoblinSoupgoblin Member Posts: 324

Please don't play the game then...

It is still in alpha and you are already crying about things that might change, if it is even an actual screen shot. Besides, It ain't about graphics, it is about gameplay.

If you want a pretty game, go check out AoC, and be happy.

Originally posted by tkreep

You know that they are prolly no where near done with the graphics, I mean just look at the fact that there is no shadows yet.  Those screens are prolly just from early alpha.  I think when done it will look similar to the next gen prince of persia which I am happy with.

Those are alpha screenshots yes, but those screenshots are depicting the very BASIC style of their graphics engine, and I've played countless alpha's before. Things do not change by eons in terms of graphical  aesthetics between mid-alpha and launch. When you've tested over 9 MMO's in the early to mid alpha stage and end up testing until launch you learn this very quickly.

Tabula Rasa

Everquest 2

Hellgate: London

Auto Assault

City of Heroes

Eve Online

Vanguard

etc etc etc......they all looked, in terms of art and style, the way they did in alpha when they were launched. The only thing that changes are the graphical enhancements such as AA, Vsync, shaders etc. Unless there is a major outcry about how ridiculously dumb the graphics look they will stay that way until launch, which if you haven't noticed from the screenshots above....will kill this game outright.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by singsofdeath

If there are so few people complaining about the graphics....does that give you a hint?

I'll tell you though the things that many people say over at the official forums.

Generally, the Art-Style and so on seem to be widely accepted. What most everyone disagrees with are the Lightsaber models in the screenshots. So I'm guessing BioWare will work on that.

From what I've read so far, the majority of people are alright with the art-direction in general, meaning the more stylized approach.

Plus, you are looking at Pre-Alpha screenies. So expect to see improvements and changes.

Have you been reading with your eyes closed? There has been a TON of threads and some 9+ pages about how much everyone hates the graphics.

Alpha shot or not, it's not the polycount that people don't like, its the style.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

Look at the results of the graphics poll - the majority of people aren't worried as it's still in Alpha. Whether they still feel this way the nearer we get to release is another issue.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Do we really need another thread discussing the graphics?

Originally posted by Soupgoblin

Please don't play the game then...

It is still in alpha and you are already crying about things that might change, if it is even an actual screen shot. Besides, It ain't about graphics, it is about gameplay.

If you want a pretty game, go check out AoC, and be happy.

I can tell several things about people like you by the way they post. You've probably never tested more than one or two betas. Most likely never played in alpha, and most likely are not a huge Star Wars fan.

IF you were, a huge Star Wars fan, had tested more than two betas, had been a participant in more than one alpha, you'd know this is the correct timing on the part of the "future" players to be voicing concerns about the game's fundamental resource, ie: it's graphics engine.

Furthermore I don't give a crap about the game being "pretty". The "artsy" style they are going with is almost like the style then went with for the new Star Wars episodes on TV, utter CRAP. It isn't Star Wars and it has no embodiment of the franchise WHATSOEVER.

I'm sorry to the rest of you I may have inadvertently offended, however I believe we've all been screwed over in one way or another in terms of the Star Wars franchise being misrepresented, and this is no exception. This is one genre I will not stay silent for because MMORPG.com's trolls don't like people complaining on "their" caves...oops I mean forums.

Originally posted by Abrahmm

Have you been reading with your eyes closed? There has been a TON of threads and some 9+ pages about how much everyone hates the graphics.

Alpha shot or not, it's not the polycount that people don't like, its the style.

I have not been reading with my eyes closed. I have read all those threads and in all of them, the majority of people complain mostly about small things, not the entire art-style as the OP here does.

Yes, the graphics need improvement, that is what is generally accepted and agreed on. What many do not agree on is that apparently some people want a complete redo of the style.

That's what I said. my apologies if that wasn't clear.

Originally posted by darwa

Do we really need another thread discussing the graphics?

If it's ANYTHING to do with the future life of a great genre such as Star Wars, and the "General" populous of the forums actually like this "Anime Star Wars" then I say YES every single freaking time.

• BurnthebedBurnthebed Member Posts: 443

Those are alpha screenshots yes, but those screenshots are depicting the very BASIC style of their graphics engine, and I've played countless alpha's before. Things do not change by eons in terms of graphical  aesthetics between mid-alpha and launch. When you've tested over 9 MMO's in the early to mid alpha stage and end up testing until launch you learn this very quickly.

Tabula Rasa

Everquest 2

Auto Assault

City of Heroes

Eve Online

Vanguard

etc etc etc......they all looked, in terms of art and style, the way they did in alpha when they were launched. The only thing that changes are the graphical enhancements such as AA, Vsync, shaders etc. Unless there is a major outcry about how ridiculously dumb the graphics look they will stay that way until launch, which if you haven't noticed from the screenshots above....will kill this game outright.

You are a liar.

Tabula Rasa from alpha to release were WORLDS APART! So, either you didn't alpha test, didn't keep up with the actual screens of the game from alpha to launch, or all of the above.

I completely agree that lightsabers need to be rescaled, and that they need to fine tune the graphics, but I'm not going to get my panties in a twist about it.

The sleeper awakes...and rides his dirtbike to the mall.

Originally posted by Abrahmm

I have not been reading with my eyes closed. I have read all those threads and in all of them, the majority of people complain mostly about small things, not the entire art-style as the OP here does.

Yes, the graphics need improvement, that is what is generally accepted and agreed on. What many do not agree on is that apparently some people want a complete redo of the style.

That's what I said. my apologies if that wasn't clear.

Death, my issue with the whole art-style is that it's not Star Wars at ALL. It's an Anime art-style and completely crap. What I believe people are liking about the "art" is just that, the concept-art pictures they posted and not the actual GFX art.

This is because they only had the concept-art pictures up yesturday, and those in-game GFX demo screenshots were posted much later, AFTER everyone had actually voted about the "Art style".

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I agree with the OP, at the moment graphix are quite unattractive.

Don't wanna make obvious comparison with SWG, but the graphics of this one are more suited to SW than SWTOR.

They look too colorful for a sci-fi, for a fantasy they can be ok, but for a sci-fi I expect something a little bit more realistic.

Originally posted by Burnthebed

Tabula Rasa

Everquest 2

Auto Assault

City of Heroes

Eve Online

Vanguard

You are a liar.

Tabula Rasa from alpha to release were WORLDS APART! So, either you didn't alpha test, didn't keep up with the actual screens of the game from alpha to launch, or all of the above.

I completely agree that lightsabers need to be rescaled, and that they need to fine tune the graphics, but I'm not going to get my panties in a twist about it.

You obviously didn't alpha test Tabula Rasa. The overall graphical art style remained the absolute same. The only thing that changed between alpha and launch about the graphics were the "enhancements", aka: Anti-Aliasing, Vsync, shader enhancements, and shadows. Oh, and btw I didn't keep up with the alpha "screenshots", because I was too busy ACTUALLY testing it and immersed within them, rather than sitting on a website looking at several month old screenshots.

• iamspamicusiamspamicus Member UncommonPosts: 114

It's too bad they didn't get the people who did the art for the Force Unleashed 360 game. I just rented that last night and  the character designs are  really  cool. I would have loved to run around looking as bad ass as the apprentice.

I think in the end it's all about how fun the game is. I have played plenty of f2p pretty  MMOs that  had horrible gameplay. I think I would have more fun if it were not so great looking but fun to play.

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923

Why do ppl think because they dont like something that every 1 else should accept there opinion? Maybe others like the Artstyle OP and they dont want it changed, maybe ppl like how the new series looks, why is it because you dont ike it does it have to be changed? i know this is what in your opinion should be changed but you are coming across as if you are the higher voice that should be listened to.

Maybe base your argument off of your opinion instead of making assumptions as to what everyone else wants and likes.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
    Originally posted by iamspamicus

It's too bad they didn't get the people who did the art for the Force Unleashed 360 game. I just rented that last night and  the character designs are  really  cool. I would have loved to run around looking as bad ass as the apprentice.
    I think in the end it's all about how fun the game is. I have played plenty of f2p pretty  MMOs that  had horrible gameplay. I think I would have more fun if it were not so great looking but fun to play.

I agree, they did very well with the graphical art and style of Force Unleashed. In "some" places it felt kind of weird, but overall they did fine.

SW:TOR looks like a really bad saturday mourning Anime. It looks more like Electric-Plumbers: Online, rather than anything remotely resembling Star Wars.

Originally posted by charlizd

Why do ppl think because they dont like something that every 1 else should accept there opinion? Maybe others like the Artstyle OP and they dont want it changed, maybe ppl like how the new series looks, why is it because you dont ike it does it have to be changed? i know this is what in your opinion should be changed but you are coming across as if you are the higher voice that should be listened to.
    Maybe base your argument off of your opinion instead of making assumptions as to what everyone else wants and likes.

I don't have to simply because you've already made the point that your not a StarWars fan, nor have you been following the franchise of games and books for over 10years. I'm sorry that you like the Anime Art-Style they are going with, but quite frankly it just is NOT Star Wars, and they will fail horribly trying to attain the NGE-Refugees from SWG.

-Fact

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I'd have to see more screenshots to really feel comfortable with my conclusion, but based on what I have seen so far I would say I am not liking the graphics.  They appear to be going with a more stylized approach, but then even for stylized I don't find them particularly appealing.  At this point, SWG graphical style looks better...

On the other hand, if this is what i have to look at to have good framerates, so be it.  Performance and gameplay will trump graphics, and the graphics while unappealing to me personally are not a deal breaker.

Originally posted by charlizd

I don't have to simply because you've already made the point that your not a StarWars fan, nor have you been following the franchise of games and books for over 10years. I'm sorry that you like the Anime Art-Style they are going with, but quite frankly it just is NOT Star Wars, and they will fail horribly trying to attain the NGE-Refugees from SWG.

-Fact

Ever considered that they do not build this game just for those?

Seriously, many SWG Vet's seem to think BioWare is there to please only them. That's a little weird to think, don't you agree?

Edit: @Terranah: As i said earlier, I personally so far have a big problem with the Lightsabers. The character models are...meh so far. Nothing big, nothing too bad. The backgrounds and the rest of the art seem to be perfectly fine in my eyes. But as you said, in no way is anything I have seen so far a dealbraker.