Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWGs Official Forums

TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

As if they weren't already hilarious enough: forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

Comments

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

I went to the Old Republic site first, watched the video at Gamespot then I went to the SWG forums and the most priceless posts there ... they are really afraid of this game.. then I came here .. todays announcement really grabbed SWG by the neck and squeezed and its a matter of time where the life is just choked out of this game finally.

• The SOEforums are flooding with tears of "DeNile"

Even Valara posted the offical lie of the day:

---

The amount of energy, resources, and enthusiasm being thrown at The Old Republic raises one obvious question: What about Galaxies? LucasArts was emphatic about the fact that there's enough room for two viable Star Wars MMORPGs to co-exist.

"We're looking to continue to support Galaxies with high-quality updates on into the future," said Jake Neri, producer for LucasArts' online division. "We're focused on a chapter release around Hoth, where we're re-creating the battle at Echo Base. We'll allow players to get in groups and jump in and just participate in a very high-quality battle. We've just released a trading card game inside of Galaxies, and fans are eating it up. Looking into next year, we're going to revamp our droid system with something called droid commander." Neri also said that SOE Austin was working in conjunction with LucasArts on further additions to Galaxies for years to come, with no end to the game in sight.

---

No way in hell there is any truth to this.

Sure, they will continue with their once every 3 months lipstick jobs on this pig with their team of entry level college intern Devs (who are being trained on the NGE for future employment at DCMMO)  until the plug is pulled.  Which will happen soon as the new game is released.  Anyone who believes otherwise is completely denying reality.

There is no incentive for SOE to put anything into this.  In fact, I expect them to start working to sabotage Bioware.  They may even sue.

• newmoon002newmoon002 Member Posts: 50

Are we soo blood thirsty as to want to see someones game taken from them, like ours was? All I ever wanted was a choice. Classic servers, the proverbial have your cake and eat it 2.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803
    Originally posted by salvaje

The SOEforums are flooding with tears of "DeNile"
    ---

The amount of energy, resources, and enthusiasm being thrown at The Old Republic raises one obvious question: What about Galaxies? LucasArts was emphatic about the fact that there's enough room for two viable Star Wars MMORPGs to co-exist.
    "We're looking to continue to support Galaxies with high-quality updates on into the future," said Jake Neri, producer for LucasArts' online division. "We're focused on a chapter release around Hoth, where we're re-creating the battle at Echo Base. We'll allow players to get in groups and jump in and just participate in a very high-quality battle. We've just released a trading card game inside of Galaxies, and fans are eating it up. Looking into next year, we're going to revamp our droid system with something called droid commander." Neri also said that SOE Austin was working in conjunction with LucasArts on further additions to Galaxies for years to come, with no end to the game in sight.
    ---
    Sure, they will continue with their once every 3 months lipstick jobs on this pig with their team of entry level college intern Devs (who are being trained on the NGE for future employment at DCMMO)  until the plug is pulled.  Which will happen soon as the new game is released.  Anyone who believes otherwise is completely denying reality.
    There is no incentive for SOE to put anything into this.  In fact, I expect them to start working to sabotage Bioware.  They may even sue.

Um, exqueeze me, but didn't the Niemoidian slime of LEC tell SOE that they couldn't bring out the NGE as SWG 2 because there wasn't enough room in the universe for two SW themed MMOs?

Who does Valera think she's kidding?  LEC will yank the plug on SWG as soon as TOR comes online.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• Originally posted by newmoon002

Are we soo blood thirsty as to want to see someones game taken from them, like ours was? All I ever wanted was a choice. Classic servers, the proverbial have your cake and eat it 2.

They never gave us classic servers so we had to develop them ourselves, so that's moot.

The NGE can't live on it's own.  The only reason why it has even what it has today, tiny as the sub base is, is that it's the "only Star Wars MMO"

This changes that competely.

The Bioware game couldn't possibly be as bad as the curent live NGE.

• newmoon002newmoon002 Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by newmoon002

They never gave us classic servers so we had to develop them ourselves, so that's moot.

The NGE can't live on it's own.  The only reason why it has even what it has today, tiny as the sub base is, is that it's the "only Star Wars MMO"

I agree with you, I just don't like the idea of people's game being taken from them. I have learned first hand that it is some BS. The people who enjoy the NGE god bless em , even though its the worst piece of human feces to grace the online world. It's their dreck.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I agree with you, I just don't like the idea of people's game being taken from them. I have learned first hand that it is some BS. The people who enjoy the NGE god bless em , even though its the worst piece of human feces to grace the online world. It's their dreck.

I don't really want anyone to lose their game.

Its pretty obvious if you think much about it what has happened here and why.

If you actually remember much.. then you remember SOE had exclusive rights to any/all Star Wars MMO's.  Just like Funcom locked up the rights to any Conan MMO.

Obviously they gave up those rights... how/why did that happen.  SWG was the #2 MMO for SOE numbers wise... so for them it was a "major" success.

Personally this is how I always felt... and why I will most likely not want to try this game.. even tho I was a star wars fan when EP4 came out.. of course we just called it "star wars" then... and you know the first sears book with all the figures etc... I mean I was 8 years old when EP4 came out in 1977.

I just feel that if this game doesn't get the numbers LEC thinks it should... that it will suddenly be changed... and after that fails... it will be put on the back burner until the next super secret announcement...

Oh and yes I use tinfoil for wall paper.

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

---

---

That is just a cut and paste of Jake Neri's quote in the SW:TOR Gamespot preview article.  Nice to know the amount of effort the folks at SOE are putting into assuring the masochists who still play SWG is minimal, much like the effort they have put into the game's development since release.

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

---

---

financially if SWG had a future you can bet SOE would offer classic servers. But that future died with today's announcement. Clearly SOE will shut this game down soon.

No company is going to accept a license and spend 75 million dollars developing a product if there's a competitor around still getting mother's milk from its parent (LA). That line about there being room for two star wars mmos is bunk.

• todeswulftodeswulf Member Posts: 715

Actually there is no reason not to belive SWG will be around, hell they just expanded the dev team by five, and sign another five year lease to their offices in Austin.....which are in a seperate buliding from the other SOE offices there. It's funny watching the "Vets" (Did you guys fight in a war or somthing?)  go nuts becasue the game just won't die.

Oh and from what I am seeing TOR devs already hate your ass...I never saw so many  locked/deleted (and I persumed banned) post than I did last night, so much for bending Bioware to your will.

So lets recap.

SWG going nowhere Smed is laughing at you

SWTOR isn't going to give you anything close to your PRE NGE Sandbox in fact the Devlopers and Mods have zero tollerance for you guys.

EMU still isn't working and not likely too.

I guess there is somthing to be said for letting go and the futility of revenge.

• You do realize that they are basically using SWGNGE as a "kobayashi maru" traning simulator for entry level Devs, right?

• GrandAmGrandAm Member Posts: 404

You do realize that they are basically using SWGNGE as a "kobayashi maru" traning simulator for entry level Devs, right?

Good analogy.  I didn't even need to look up the reference.

"Suddenly, thousands of Trekies whose heads are full of facts of things like the stardate when the Cardassians farted on Deep Space nine are irrlelevant." - hardcoremoviecritic

• GutboyGutboy Member Posts: 630

And the current SWG devs are putting out some great product. Now that we know that TOR will be a EPIC Fail (for the true SWG fan*) and the announcement from LEC that SWG will continue on for years I am fully satisified.

*True SWG fan enjoys open world style gaming not a single player KOTOR type questing, with a Guild Wars like psuedo MMO RvR combat system tagged on to justify both the 'MMO' title and the inevitable monthly fee to go along with it (which is what TOR is.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    Originally posted by firefly2003

I went to the Old Republic site first, watched the video at Gamespot then I went to the SWG forums and the most priceless posts there ... they are really afraid of this game.. then I came here .. todays announcement really grabbed SWG by the neck and squeezed and its a matter of time where the life is just choked out of this game finally.

Buff wars galaxies, I mean star wars galaxies really does have it's days numbered. Lucasart will close down SWG I reckon. I can't see them putting a new star wars game out there, then have it compete against another product on the same IP in the same genre despite the different time line. I wouldn't play SWG now since it will fill like it's all a waste of time as your efforts will be gone in 2 to 3 years time. The game will not make it's 10 year anniversary I'm willing to bet.

• Originally posted by Gutboy

And the current SWG devs are putting out some great product. Now that we know that TOR will be a EPIC Fail (for the true SWG fan*) and the announcement from LEC that SWG will continue on for years I am fully satisified.
    *True SWG fan enjoys open world style gaming not a single player KOTOR type questing, with a Guild Wars like psuedo MMO RvR combat system tagged on to justify both the 'MMO' title and the inevitable monthly fee to go along with it (which is what TOR is.

Have they managed to fix mobs shooting through hills, trees, terrain, houses. rocks, etc while players can't target them back?

No?

Get back to me when they fix that Day 1 bug (made worse by the "on crack" NGE combat system) before you tell me they are producing quality.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152
    Originally posted by Gutboy

First of all, I take it you will not play TOR?  I would hate for you to violate your ethics and play a game that you have spent the better part of a year bashing every chance you got...

Secondly, the fact that you think SWG has a future is astonishing to me.  Do you REALLY believe that Bioware and EA would pump this much money into a contract and game that would have a competing MMO in the IP?  You really can't be serious...

There is no way that SWG continues once the new game goes live.  I wouldn't at all be surprised to see it closed down well before the new game goes live just to get demand for the IP built back up and to get the bad stigma created by SWG off of the minds of consumers.

SWG will not be around to compete with the new MMO.  Chances are great that LucasArts has already decided when to close shop for SWG.

Tecmo Bowl.

Well LEC already said that they are allowing two SW games to be in the market at the same time (Jake Neri). I "bashed" the game now known as TOR simply because of people like you who want "sandbox" and the game is NOT sandbox.

I personally think that former KOTOR players will fully enjoy TOR, and people that want a open game world with the ability to do what they want when they want will feel TOR is a EPIC fail. 

What Bioware did yesterday:

Step 1: Announce title.

Step 2: Fanbois rush the official forum in order to get the low player number that enhances the chance of getting into beta.

Step 3: Every armchair designer in the world pops on to any forum that includes the title in question to post up their half-assed ideas for how the game "should" be, and how it will fail if it is just "WoW in <insert location / costume>". The longer you leave the period between announcement and launch, the more these threads will be repeated.

Step 4: The developers announce features that they are 95% sure will appear in the final version. The length of time from announcement to launch sees that 95% chance drop in direct proportion.

What they should have done:

KOTORO anouncement is "yes, we are developing KOTORO and beta starts tomorrow" then Bioware would be doing it right.

They didn't. They are doing it wrong. It was actually better as a badly kept secret, because then it could be mysterious and attract hype without actually guaranteeing anything. Now, however, they'll have to quantify what they've been doing. The info dump yesterday sounded a lot like a bunch of "here's some really cool ideas we thought of" but little in the way of actual implementation.

So have you guys realized that Bioware Austin is neither Lucasarts or Bioware yet? I mean what did you expect from the unholy child of old SOE Austin and Wolfpack?

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

When did LucasArts or more importantly LucasFilm say that they were going to allow SWG and TOR to compete with each other?

When was this said?

Tecmo Bowl.

• GravezGravez Member Posts: 249

Well LEC already said that they are allowing two SW games to be in the market at the same time (Jake Neri). I "bashed" the game now known as TOR simply because of people like you who want "sandbox" and the game is NOT sandbox.
    I personally think that former KOTOR players will fully enjoy TOR, and people that want a open game world with the ability to do what they want when they want will feel TOR is a EPIC fail. 
    What Bioware did yesterday:
    Step 1: Announce title.
    Step 2: Fanbois rush the official forum in order to get the low player number that enhances the chance of getting into beta.
    Step 3: Every armchair designer in the world pops on to any forum that includes the title in question to post up their half-assed ideas for how the game "should" be, and how it will fail if it is just "WoW in <insert location / costume>". The longer you leave the period between announcement and launch, the more these threads will be repeated.
    Step 4: The developers announce features that they are 95% sure will appear in the final version. The length of time from announcement to launch sees that 95% chance drop in direct proportion.

What they should have done:
     KOTORO anouncement is "yes, we are developing KOTORO and beta starts tomorrow" then Bioware would be doing it right.
    They didn't. They are doing it wrong. It was actually better as a badly kept secret, because then it could be mysterious and attract hype without actually guaranteeing anything. Now, however, they'll have to quantify what they've been doing. The info dump yesterday sounded a lot like a bunch of "here's some really cool ideas we thought of" but little in the way of actual implementation.

So have you guys realized that Bioware Austin is neither Lucasarts or Bioware yet? I mean what did you expect from the unholy child of old SOE Austin and Wolfpack?

Can you quote some more from F13? I think if people concentrate really hard they can sense the tears coming from the NGEtards.

• They are going to keep saying that SWGNGE is going on forever and ever until the day they say it is not of course.

Hell, they may even do it in true SOE style, announce the shutdown after they charge everyone for an expansion :)

Originally posted by Thunderous

When did LucasArts or more importantly LucasFilm say that they were going to allow SWG and TOR to compete with each other?
    When was this said?

It was said yesterday here is the quote:

So unless you say that TOR's release is "no where in sight" both games will be active at the same time.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

When was this said?

So unless you say that TOR's release is "no where in sight" both games will be active at the same time.

And we all know that nobody who works on SWG lies about the games future -

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

Originally posted by JestorRodo

When was this said?

Hi this is August calling, Jestor "predicted" the sunset date for SWG would be announced then.

And we know that nobody who bashs SWG lies about the games future either.

• "The NGE won't close, the NGE won't close"

Keep telling yourselves that fanbois.  The NGE is going to continue on in the same sense that the "CU is here to stay".

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568

Originally posted by JestorRodo

When was this said?

Hi this is August calling, Jestor "predicted" the sunset date for SWG would be announced then.

And we know that nobody who bashs SWG lies about the games future either.

Jestor may be correct, just off by a few months. 

With SW:TOR being announced, there is just about no way possible for SWG and TOR to be going at the same time.  They will, however, make sure SWG keeps going until the launch of TOR.  These subs will be the "base" of TOR along with "vets" looking for another, ANY OTHER, SW game.

I've read what they say about SWG, but I serouisly doubt that it has any validity in the real world.  You very well know the poor situation that current subs are in with more leaving every day.  That just doesn't bode well for SWG in the long term.

I really do not believe that TOR will be the absolute death of SWG, outside of LA's IP.  The problem I still see, is STO.  Some of that has already been anounced as "sandbox" with it's own version of "houseing".  Space and ground has already been anounced.  STO will probably provide the version of "old" SWG enough to draw "vets" and enough players off of existing SWG to just make SWG not  viable in the money dept.  Cryptic is well known for "tweaks" and not complete game re-vamps to satisfy "vets" enough to know that that game is not likely to CHANGE in a massive way such as CU, NGE, and/or C6CD.

STO is the one for current players of SWG to worry about with TOR's coming to be the complete and utter iceing on the cake.