Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The graphics, your initial reaction (Poll)

Hmm, it's only been a few hours since the announcement and already people are making WoW comparisons. What do you guys think?

EDIT: For those of you that haven't seen the screens, they can be found here: www.swtor.com/media/screens

Comments

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

I overall like tye style they use, but I am not a huge fan of the outfits they are wearing.  They look like some kind of body suits.  I thought Jedi and Sith wear simple robes.

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570

not going to judge anything til much much later.  I hope it does well tho.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493

I think  you people take these things way to seriously and should wait off a bit.  Maybe if you had some real problems in your life like dealing with cancer, you could get a little prespective.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

I really like the look of the landscape shots, looks KOTORish to me.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

Graphics look like Star trek and champions online which people seem to bitch about alot...personally i like the style -shrugs-

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Disappointing.

If I want comics graphics I would go and play COH.

Yet I have to see them in game, but they just don't fit SW era.

I think they are clearly targetting the kiddies.

• EATtheDEADEATtheDEAD Member Posts: 207

I think everyone should wait a year or two when they actually release real in game footage and previews before you all start burning down the barn.  and hopefully wow is in the barn when it burns down *crosses fingers*

--------------------------------------
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The force shall free me.
    -the Sith code

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

The main problem I have with the pre-Alpha screen shots is that the outfits the characters are wearing are too brightly colored.  If they tone down the bright colors I won't really have an issue with the rest.  From the concept art, it doesn't look like they intend for everything to be brightly colored, so I have hope.

• YunbeiYunbei Member Posts: 898

I loved the style of Champions Online a lot, and I like it in this game too, tho its less stylized. I think it could a good crossover in style between comic and realism, thats no bad thing.

Please keep in mind this is early Alpha, folks! No shaders, lights, ambience, high res textures and stuff! Look at other pre-Alpha pics from MMOs, its just a small hint of the general direction! I recall some early Alpha pics from Vanguard and heck it had changed A LOT into the final product!

Essentially you have to see a MMO for yourself to really judge the graphics. Few screenshots, even in the final version ever do the real experience justice.

• RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897

Garbage ... its a Mix of disney with some WOW and some lightsabres thrown in.

this is star wars its supposed to be dark and gritty not some bad comic book. they might as well go all the way to attrach the kiddies and give them "the clone wars" style graphics.

• XavierxxXavierxx Member Posts: 251

I think they look just fine, they will probably improve to with the assumption that its still in an early stage. Just take a look at some of those screenshots again that show off some vegetaion and environment, looks fines to me and I also have no doubt that it will be many times better than the "other" star wars mmo out.

Originally posted by Xavierxx

I think they look just fine, they will probably improve to with the assumption that its still in an early stage. Just take a look at some of those screenshots again that show off some vegetaion and environment, looks fines to me and I also have no doubt that it will be many times better than the "other" star wars mmo out.

you better hope they can pull a miracle out of thier butts because SWG looks MANY times better than the new game already.

• lornjlornj Member Posts: 334

those graphics reminds me of city of heroes.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

I think they look pretty bad to tell you the truth. I thought KotOR's graphics looked pretty good, but the character design and style looks way to cartoony in my opinion.

The announcment of this game has me extremely excited as a Star Wars fan but somewhat disappointed as an MMO fan.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• anotheraddicanotheraddic Member CommonPosts: 44

pretty amazing that people are making these sweeping assumptions on a few teaser screenshots

First : These are all very early shots, obviously not a finished product, you can expect better textures, shading, etc in the next few months i'm sure

Second : Alot of recent MMO's have been having problems with peoples PC's not being able to run them a decently high settings levels, so taking a card from Blizzards playbook, I'm sure that this game will be able to run on a plethora of diffrent system configurations, and hopefully still be able to give us some eye candy on the high end.

Third : this is going to be freakin awesome

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

Honestly I played WOW and LOTRO and I play WAR currently none of which are graphical masterpieces by any stretch of the imagination. If they can deliver a great game play experience and immerse me in the star wars universe I will play it. It doesnt have to be graphically stunning.

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

as i said in another post these graphics are a disgrace to the KOTOR name.

how you go from dark and gritty to Disney land is beyond me.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

I can't say that the KOTOR games ever had great graphics.  I still enjoyed them a lot because they had great linear stories and great NPCs to group with.

• foliotfoliot Member Posts: 88

You do realize that there is no shadows at all, right?  I like the graphics so far, and the brightness will be reduced by the addition of actual shadows.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

I think when they complete the game the graphics they are aiming for will be similar to prince of persia next gen which I think is great. 

http://www.dasgamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/pop_s_010.jpg

• AlindaleAlindale Member Posts: 134
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

I'll give you a reaction on the graphics when I've seen them. So far they've only shown concept art. 

I'll second that statement.

• GorairGorair Member Posts: 959

havent seen any IG graphics yet as they havent been drawn yet im sure , ive seen some of the test skins laid out to make testing the engine possible without putting a graphic load on it. And they seem actually above par for pre alpha concept phase tbh.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

Anyone know if the graphics engine is new tech? I don't get why they can't use a modified Mass Effect engine (or the engine they used for KOTORII if they want it to be compatible with older systems).

They may already be doing this, in which case this post is null.

EDIT: Scrap that, I've since found out they're using HeroEngine.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by Alindale

Originally posted by zymurgeist

I'll give you a reaction on the graphics when I've seen them. So far they've only shown concept art. 

I'll second that statement.

Third........concept art is so-so, I'll wait for ingame stuff before I comment on the graphics.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Oh, how I love the people that picked the third option. This shows no knowledge of game development. lol

It's become apparent to me that game developers are of the opinion that sci-fi mmo gamers want these plastic-cartoon graphics. Look at the Star Trek and Stargate titles in development.

I personally think they look bloody awful, and despite this being in 'alpha' they won't suddenly change everything. It doesn't work like that.

Look on the bright side though: More people will be able to 'max out' the graphics on an average pc this way. /cry

*****EDIT*****

Oh, and to those playing the 'concept art' card, go look at the official site and you'll find that screenshots and concept art are clearly in different categories