Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvE Is Frustrating

To get things started, I am not a tank. So, I am sure those classes have a bit easier time handling such situations.

Ellyrion is my major gripe. I am a Dark Elf and I primarily PvE this area while I wait for T2 scenarios to pop, or get tired of playing said scenarios. It is by far the most frustrating game experience. It is a beautiful zone, but the way mob placement was done here is enough to make no desk safe from fist smashing.

Simply put, there are FAR too many roaming mobs, and mobs in general in this zone. I cannot accomplish anything while attempting quests. NPCs riding on horseback crisscross each other and cover ground that completely inhibits solo play. General mob spawns are also so dense, I can't contemplate how they would tolerate had they been sentient.

Once I finally fight through the 3 dozen mobs (hardly exaggerating) to get to the one quest objective, I find 2-3 roaming mobs walking directly to the area in which I am fighting. I end up giving up the fight, only to be snared/rooted while 3 mobs that never used to be there, have their way with me. I will respawn and start all over again, only to receive the same result.

I've taken the slow, paranoid approach when questing. One mob at a time, slowly but surely, don't aggro more than one. I don't attempt to bypass content. WoW's horrible AI and game mechanics trained me to quest that way (here are 13 mobs that will respawn and daze you 30 seconds after you kill them). But it is simply unavoidable in this game.

If there has to be one change in PvE gameplay, I would love to see nothing more than a complete mob placement overhaul. It is getting ridiculous.

Comments

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593

Lol and I thought solo PvE was laughably easy... /sarcasm off

No really, that's what I do like about WAR's solo PvE - mob patrols, mobs moving in groups, champions hidden among normal ones. All of those force you to think tactically and pay attention to where you're going and what is happening around you.

Either play smart or travel in a group. Sorry but that's the way it is. Avelorn is filled with even more mob patrols, hidden trolls etc. Some regions seem to be more empty of road patrols and movement in general, human ones seem pretty safe in particular. In Avelorn however even a routine journey from chapter to flight path by main road may turn into a stiff fight with a 3-mob mounted patrol.

In fact I find areas without such mob movement lacking and disappointing. Actually I hope quite the opposite from you and wish Mythic will get around to fixing those "orphan" mob encounters (sadly there are some) where mobs seem to just stand in one spot, waiting to get aggroed.

• StellusStellus Member UncommonPosts: 263

I don't have an issue with the mob patrols themselves. I like them - they make the area feel alive. It brings a large "cool" factor into the game. I just don't like how -dense- they are, especially confined to small areas.

• Keeper2000Keeper2000 Member UncommonPosts: 637

OP, try Chaos zone or Greenskeein.  Dark Elf zone is much more agro insane than the other racial zones.  Maybe because they wanted to do that zones like that?  I dont know.  I dont care much.

T2 and specially T3 elf land made me felt like I was in the most unsafe zone ever.  Avelorn is like a mad agro pool where I walked one step and a mob agroed on me.  Even the roads are unsafe!!!

But it didnt frustrate me.  I found it interesting actually.  I guess, as most all in life, its just perception and opinions.

Yeah, I do agree that it is nice to see developers make zones come alive. I like how it is active, the High Elves are on the move, etc. But for gameplay's sake, when I've already become invested in the zone and the lore, it is hard to leave it. While it frustrates me to no end, I still find enjoyment out of it.

I just wish they wouldn't pack mobs like sardines into a 1 acre plot and then sprinkle 7-8 roaming mobs on horseback from which you cannot run away. You can create the same immersion, but just don't overdo it.

• amoroneamorone Member UncommonPosts: 209

When the mobs are dense like that especially around quest items/npcs/etc, I have found that there is usually a "safe" way to navigate through, BUT you have to plan carefully. Watch mob movements, timing, etc. It makes the game feel way more alive to me like that....you have to recon and plan! And as mentioned, this continues and becomes even more "dangerous" as you proceed. Tier 4 is way fun but you gotta be VERY aware of your surrounduings. haha

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527
    Originally posted by amorone

When the mobs are dense like that especially around quest items/npcs/etc, I have found that there is usually a "safe" way to navigate through, BUT you have to plan carefully. Watch mob movements, timing, etc. It makes the game feel way more alive to me like that....you have to recon and plan! And as mentioned, this continues and becomes even more "dangerous" as you proceed. Tier 4 is way fun but you gotta be VERY aware of your surrounduings. haha

Fun, yes, and interesting, perhaps, but certainly not immersive. I think it's silly that I have to weave my way through mobs who are patrolling back and forth, perfectly able to see me (if they were capable of seeing and not just programmed to attack whatever comes within range) and probably hear me. It turns the PvE game into more of a puzzle than an RPG.

Imagine if WoW was filled with quests that each one makes you pick up a bag in a cave full of murlocs.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787
    Originally posted by Stellus

To get things started, I am not a tank. So, I am sure those classes have a bit easier time handling such situations.
    Ellyrion is my major gripe. I am a Dark Elf and I primarily PvE this area while I wait for T2 scenarios to pop, or get tired of playing said scenarios. It is by far the most frustrating game experience. It is a beautiful zone, but the way mob placement was done here is enough to make no desk safe from fist smashing.
    Simply put, there are FAR too many roaming mobs, and mobs in general in this zone. I cannot accomplish anything while attempting quests. NPCs riding on horseback crisscross each other and cover ground that completely inhibits solo play. General mob spawns are also so dense, I can't contemplate how they would tolerate had they been sentient.
    Once I finally fight through the 3 dozen mobs (hardly exaggerating) to get to the one quest objective, I find 2-3 roaming mobs walking directly to the area in which I am fighting. I end up giving up the fight, only to be snared/rooted while 3 mobs that never used to be there, have their way with me. I will respawn and start all over again, only to receive the same result.
     I've taken the slow, paranoid approach when questing. One mob at a time, slowly but surely, don't aggro more than one. I don't attempt to bypass content. WoW's horrible AI and game mechanics trained me to quest that way (here are 13 mobs that will respawn and daze you 30 seconds after you kill them). But it is simply unavoidable in this game.
    If there has to be one change in PvE gameplay, I would love to see nothing more than a complete mob placement overhaul. It is getting ridiculous.

Oh my god!! Are you seriously complaining because the PvE in WAR is too difficult for you?!

LMFAO!!!

I do the mind-numbingly easy PvE quests while watching TV. When I am fighting some dumb zero AI mob I often have a cup of tea in one hand. The mobs in WAR cant even see you unless you are within a few meters of them and even when they do attack me I can beat all of them by pressing the same combination of buttons. In fact I can beat most of them without even having to touch my keyboard as the auto-attack will do it for me......but that can take a massive amount of extra time (ohhh 10 seconds or so?) so I usually press the buttons to speed it up.

.....and you find it difficult. Oh dear.

Originally posted by neonwire

Originally posted by Stellus

Oh my god!! Are you seriously complaining because the PvE in WAR is too difficult for you?!

LMFAO!!!

I do the mind-numbingly easy PvE quests while watching TV. When I am fighting some dumb zero AI mob I often have a cup of tea in one hand. The mobs in WAR cant even see you unless you are within a few meters of them and even when they do attack me I can beat all of them by pressing the same combination of buttons. In fact I can beat most of them without even having to touch my keyboard as the auto-attack will do it for me......but that can take a massive amount of extra time (ohhh 10 seconds or so?) so I usually press the buttons to speed it up.

.....and you find it difficult. Oh dear.

I'm a squishy - a Sorcerer. I have paper armor, no healing abilities and the more I cast, the more likely it is I damage myself. Couple that with a difficult mob placement and you can understand my frustration.

But you're right. You are awesome and I am not. Seems to be a general consensus when someone brings up a constructive post in these forums. "You suck". Brilliant!