Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A new star wars expansion? Link with video

LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

There is a vid floating around that is suppossed to be the new expansion for SWG. It was posted by 1 of the 4 empoyees who were let go on SWG recently by the smedster. Source click here -  

The video was posted on you tube. It has now been taken down.  It has been moved. Click here.   to view it.

Fake or real? It appeared on YouTube on 15th October with this description:

"Quick explanation -

Last week, John Smedley sacked four of us at SoE using extremely unprofessional reasoning on his part. Basically he's looking to trim the staff down of those working on SWG now that KotORO is about to be announced soon.

We wouldn't of minded so much if he had just been honest about his reasons - but that isn't John Smedley.

So basically, this is my way of being unprofessional back at him. He'll never be able to discover which of the four of us snuck this out of the offices, so here it is John - your "careful timing" you are oh so precious about - ruined.

This is the project John Smedley has not been telling SWG players about. He's known for about a year now that Bioware is working on the Knights of the Old Republic MMO, and him and Lucasarts have been busy thinking up ways to squeeze the remaining SWG playerbase out of one final cash lump sum before everyone jumps ship - and this is it.

Star Wars Galaxies - City of the Skies. The 4th Expansion.

It's been in the works for the last 3-4 months, and basically is a mish-mash of material SoE has purchased from other Star Wars games with Bespin in it, to make the production process faster.

The ONLY part they are actually splashing out on is that they are really asking Billy Dee Williams and the guy who voices Kyle Katarn to do voices for it.

Smedley seems to think the idea of actually creating content from the era the game is set in, rather than more clone wars stuff is "original thinking".

I'm sure that'll give a good few of you a chuckle..."

Comments

• precuorbustprecuorbust Member Posts: 120

I call fake.  Doesn't even look like the same rendering engine.

An expansion for the NGE would be the biggest waste of money ever, given that they don't have enough subs to pay for it's development even if everyone bought it.

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604
    Originally posted by precuorbust

I call fake.  Doesn't even look like the same rendering engine.
    An expansion for the NGE would be the biggest waste of money ever, given that they don't have enough subs to pay for it's development even if everyone bought it.

If fake, I think it's a pretty convincing looking fake.  I give the counterfeiters credit

But I agree, it seems highly unlikely there would be an expansion to SWG this late in the game, especially one with 3 or 4 crew-served ships and two new races.  I'd need to see an official announcement before I'd believe it.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

That is a lot of time to put into a fake.

• SelenciaSelencia Member Posts: 180

It's a fake because the current dev team would never put that much effort into an expansion/update.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

That is a pretty convincing "fake".

I called it in another thread that SOE would release an expansion for SWG just before KOTOR mmo came out.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Wasn't it announced that the fourth expansion would be Hoth?

I forget.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by darwa

I forget.

That was just a zone additition. Either way I' still don't care about returning to SWG, it looks old and crap now. They can add whatever to it, it still can't compete with new and shiney.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Originally posted by tillamook

I forget.

That was just a zone additition. Either way I' still don't care about returning to SWG, it looks old and crap now. They can add whatever to it, it still can't compete with new and shiney.

What I find interesting is that if you compare the current look of the game to Pre-Cu the graphics have actually gotten WORSE. 

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

I liked the artwork for Mustafar but then came the NGE. But I have to agree the artwork has gone downhill. What I find "iconic" about this is that their art department for SWG doesn't really exists any longer. There are modders who are doing a better job such as texture updates for planets and even a full texture revamp for space. These are done by one person who get more accomplished in 3 months than the staff at SWG can get done in a year regarding textures.  I can see this being a fake. The talent is out there. If it is real what a burn!

I forget.

What I find interesting is that if you compare the current look of the game to Pre-Cu the graphics have actually gotten WORSE. 

Yep, movement, lighting, the sky, textures, everything looks plastic now.

SWG Bloodfin vet

Valara

This video was not created or produced by LucasArts or SOE. There are currently no plans for a retail expansion pack for Star Wars Galaxies.

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?start=120&topic_id=766099&#8320566

SWG Bloodfin vet

• WharmasterWharmaster Member Posts: 234

Valara

This video was not created or produced by LucasArts or SOE. There are currently no plans for a retail expansion pack for Star Wars Galaxies.
    http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?start=120&topic_id=766099&#8320566

LOL!!! Yeah, right....like I'd believe anything an SOE puppet said.

Remember Mustafar? They sold us that crap RIGHT before the NGE.

Sounds JUST like an SOE move, therefore, to sell it's few remaining players an expansion right before the game takes it's last shit.

I remember back in 1999, folks kept asking me if I was stockpiling food. I always answered, "No, I'm stockpiling ammo and making a list of people who are stockpiling food"

• Force_FireForce_Fire Member Posts: 145

The Voice Over gives it away...the guy sounds like a 13 year old. If it were real, they would have gotton a Man to do the Voice Over. One possibility is that the Footage is Real and the VO is fake. Perhaps, they had not done the ADR work on the Promo yet. I understand the backstory is that these guys got fired and leaked this in retaliation..maybe it wasn't ready for release so they got some kid to finish it.

Originally posted by Force_Fire

The Voice Over gives it away...the guy sounds like a 13 year old. If it were real, they would have gotton a Man to do the Voice Over. One possibility is that the Footage is Real and the VO is fake. Perhaps, they had not done the ADR work on the Promo yet. I understand the backstory is that these guys got fired and leaked this in retaliation..maybe it wasn't ready for release so they got some kid to finish it.

Voice overs also could be placeholders for the actual actors to replace it later.

Keep in mind that the average age of NGE Dev Team IV is under 25, so most all of them are barely beyond teenagers.

The "official denial" probably gives it more weight.  SOE has always lied about stuff like this or hid things even from their own community people.  Remember the starter kit denial?  Remember the deletion of the original post where the details of the NGE were leaked?

That said I still don't see any sort of expansion being made for the NGE, they don't have the numbers to make it worth making. 

Originally posted by Force_Fire

Voice overs also could be placeholders for the actual actors to replace it later.

Keep in mind that the average age of NGE Dev Team IV is under 25, so most all of them are barely beyond teenagers.

The "official denial" probably gives it more weight.  SOE has always lied about stuff like this or hid things even from their own community people.  Remember the starter kit denial?  Remember the deletion of the original post where the details of the NGE were leaked?

That said I still don't see any sort of expansion being made for the NGE, they don't have the numbers to make it worth making. 

I guess you are right...The truth is I would come back today if that was an advertisement for the RETURN OF THE PRE-CU game.

I'm an addicted whore to that old game.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

I can only say AWESOME!

I dont know what to do, believe it or think is a fake, but it's awesome, fake or not.

But It would be really fun if all this turns true. The leaked expansion and the story behind it muhahahaha

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418

its not a fake.

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

We just need someone that is good at seeking trademarks out.  If  this is indeed true a trademark would be registered.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Fake....all fake.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

If there really was an expansion it wouid go like how the NGE went down promises of new fixes and new content, then instead of changing the game this time around again for the 4th time, they just shut down the game forever .

Fake I guess xD

www.massively.com/2008/10/16/rumors-of-new-star-wars-galaxies-expansion-most-likely-false/

I was really hoping SOE was that desperate.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Posted on page 7 of that thread said it's not produced by LA or SOE, no plans for the xpansion so it should be fake.

SWG has the most interesting Fans and Enemies this Industry has ever seen. In no other MMORPG do you see this insane behavior. No where do you see this level of dedication.  Nothing surprises me anymore with this game...NOTHING!

SWG is really an a cool social experiment gone wrong.

• pdxgeekpdxgeek Member Posts: 585

Considering they can't even add Hoth as an actual planet like the players requested I seriously doubt there is any work being done on an expansion.

Successful games get expansions.

• GrandAmGrandAm Member Posts: 404

IMO...

Of course it's a fake.  The idea behind it is they are creating an expansion, but they fired/laid off devs.  They have been dangling the Hoth carrot for a long time.  The have been dangling the DC carrot for almost a year with nothing to show for it.  Out of the blue they are supposed to have a fully renered cinimantic showing all the function of this expansion.

Every video they release for promo is in HD letter box format.  This one is in 4:3 ratio.  Everything they show has been modled elsewhere.   I have seen those ships modeled on quack forums as still photos.  The SWG is quacking in open source development.  All the tools to make this good looking video are available.

They are giving away a free play time in desparation.  A new competing SW MMO is coming.  The last box pack failed to sale.  The previous expansion was a huge mistake in the way it is released.

It takes money they know they will not get back from mistrust of customers to make an expansion.  To complete this they need devs.  But SOE decides to fire more.  How are they going to get this ready if they keep firing devs, send them to other projects etc...  They can't because it doesn't exist.  Just my opinion.

3 of the 4 ships are POB based.  There have been problems with the UI controls in the video that people have pointed out as reasons it is fake on the Oforums.

I could be wrong.  But it just looks like some smart ass fan/vet trying to stir things up.

"Suddenly, thousands of Trekies whose heads are full of facts of things like the stardate when the Cardassians farted on Deep Space nine are irrlelevant." - hardcoremoviecritic