Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Ranger Class Overview

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com Age of Conan Correspondent Mike DeHart writes this introductory overview of the Ranger class in Funcom's Age of Conan.

The Ranger class in AoC is a pure archer akin to the scout or ranger classes in Dark Age of Camelot. That means no pets and very few nature themed spells. Rangers rely on stealth and distance to deal damage with bows and crossbows. They are also adept with a sword and shield, for close combat fights. The ranger is a ranged DPS class with medium armor, stealth, and considerable crowd control; these abilities can make the ranger formidable in both PvP and PvE.

Age of Conan Screenshot

Read it all here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

An educational class review, but I would be more interested in seeing a performance review across different hardware specs.  There were many of these during launch, but hopefully they have done some optimizing?

In general most of the classes I played were fun, but post tortage my fps kept dropping, with the worst in cities being 5 fps.  In the wild I was getting 10 to 20 if I am recalling correctly.

My launch spec:

3.6 ghz gpu

3 gb ram

10k rpm raptor drive

ati 1950 pro 256 mb

Since launch I have upgraded to:

ati 4850 512 mb

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Terranah

An educational class review, but I would be more interested in seeing a performance review across different hardware specs.  There were many of these during launch, but hopefully they have done some optimizing?

In general most of the classes I played were fun, but post tortage my fps kept dropping, with the worst in cities being 5 fps.  In the wild I was getting 10 to 20 if I am recalling correctly.

My launch spec:
    3.6 ghz gpu
    3 gb ram
    10k rpm raptor drive
    ati 1950 pro 256 mb
    ati 4850 512 mb

Yep, I change my GFX card last week but I went up between 5-20 FPS from launch to last week with the same hardware. The game floats a lot better now.

But your old GFX card was not that great, AoCs textures really need a 512 megs memory. I don't see any problems for you to run the game at medium now.

And Ranger is my favorite class BTW, not so easy to play as many other classes but really fun and dangerous in PvP :D

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

My launch spec:
    3.6 ghz gpu
    3 gb ram
    10k rpm raptor drive
    ati 1950 pro 256 mb
    ati 4850 512 mb

I have the 4870 model, and play with everything on with 40-60 fps, and spiking to the 30s for cities...normal actually.

Turn off shadows (which 90% of people do anyways) and the game will run awesome

There is no doubt the game requires a hefty system. But, after seeing how it performs, I cannot downgrade to games like Vanguard, WAR or LOTRO anymore...as AoC just looks and plays gorgeous.

Cheers

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

How does any of these replies refer to the OP?

For the OP.  Listing your max level would be good as it will build more credibility to your "article".

Also, the time frame you are talking about.  The game has underwent a number of changes the last few months, especially with Rangers.

Your comment on elevation... You are certain this is for AoC?  I know DAOC it was a good thing, but I have not noticed a change in range with elevation, neither have I noticed a decrease in damage using my bow in melee...

You may need to double check things. 

• corpsman77corpsman77 Member Posts: 17

So the OP is one of the 5 people who still play this game?

• lmzzlmzz Member Posts: 57

There is no increase in range with elevation. It´s really not a great dps:er for single targets compared to OTHER CLASSES, my HoX out-dps my ranger with ease, he did so even when he was ten levels lower than my capped ranger.

www.excisiongaming.com

Casual PvP & gaming fun for mature gamers

This is the 3rd "correspondant" crap you guys have published... I wish ya'll would double check what is written before publishing.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Age of Conan: Ranger Class Overview.   <--------- See that word?

Good.

Great article BTW.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Overview means some fact thrown in, not the fiction he stated.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

My launch spec:
    3.6 ghz gpu
    3 gb ram
    10k rpm raptor drive
    ati 1950 pro 256 mb
    ati 4850 512 mb

Hey Terranah.

There are a couple of performance reviews here: www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/8077-age-conan-hardware-performance-review.html

However, a newer one :  Age of Conan Video Optimization Guide  is a bit better I think :)

• abalabal Member UncommonPosts: 169
    Originall
    And Ranger is my favorite class BTW, not so easy to play as many other classes but really fun and dangerous in PvP :D

I'm sure you mean overpowered.

• neilh73neilh73 Member Posts: 239
    Originally posted by abal

Originall

I'm sure you mean overpowered.

Yes, Ranger is overpowered up to about level 40, but its all downhill from there! 

At level 80, since the gem nerf you have to be a pretty damn good player to  win with a Ranger against most other classes in a 1 v 1 situation.  Ranger DPS is pretty poor at higher levels and the amount of misses just gets worse and worse the higher level you get. 

The only guaranteed wins at level 80 are Demo and Necro.  ToS's, PoM's BS's, Barbs, and all the soldier classes are really tough fights with those classes actually having the advantage.  Assassins are funny, if you get the jump on them they are toast, if they get the jump on you then you are probably toast.

Sure Rangers are very useful in Group PvP at endgame, but 1 on 1, not so much.  They may rule Tortage Underhalls and White Sands Isle, but believe me they don't rule Keshatta.

MMORPG History:
    Playing - EVE Online.
    Played (Retired) - AO, SWG, MxO, WoW, RFO, SoR, CoX, EQ2, GW, L2, Vanguard, LotRO, AoC, TCoS, Aion.
    Favourite MMO - Pre-CU SWG, 3 Years, 4 Accounts, 2 Pre-CU Jedi (1 Pre-9).
    Awaiting - Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Secret World, Earthrise.

Again, this "overview" is false.

Range is not extended because of elevation.

Stealth is not worse cause of Medium Armor (just not as many bonuses from armor like cloth and light)

Difference between Bow and Xbow is range and damage.

There is not negative to hit or damage using the bow at point blank range.  You do not HAVE to use your melee weapons.

I PM'd (I think I did it right) Stradden about this and other guides.  Hopefully this will be removed as it is ... well wrong... on so many levels.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Originally posted by WolfClaws

Stealth is not worse cause of Medium Armor (just not as many bonuses from armor like cloth and light)

There is not negative to hit or damage using the bow at point blank range.  You do not HAVE to use your melee weapons.
    I PM'd (I think I did it right) Stradden about this and other guides.  Hopefully this will be removed as it is ... well wrong... on so many levels.

Your tone seems a bit hostile but the guts of what you're saying matches up a lot more with my ranger play experiences.  I *do* think the correspondent program is a great concept but honestly don't see it working well for MMORPG.com.  Right now, even the main articles don't consistently get proper review before posting so I'm not sure why the correspondent articles would fare better.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The armour do make a difference but not a really big one. Experimented a bit with it and it is easier to stealth in cloth armour, but it ain't so big difference that it is worth the lesser protection of cloth.

There is no difference in stealthing in full plate and cloth. The difference is how many points you have spec'd. 

As I said, there are more plus stealth points for cloth and light armor for the barbarian and the assassin.  Lord knows my demo has gotten several of those peices as quest rewards instead of casters stuff.

You cannot spot a ranger anymore than you can spot any other rogue if they are spec'd right.

Hell, stealth is borked for pvp anyways.  Waiting on that fix heh.

I like the idea behind a Correspondent writer, and them being independant is awesome, but recently the stuff that has been published hasn't been checked by the MMORPG staff, either that or the staff isn't familiar with what is being submitted.  Going on assumption.

That is bad for business.

If people keep seeing the inaccuracies of these Correspondants, less people may visit the site.  That means loss of potential revenue.

• AppenAppen Age of Conan CorrespondentMember Posts: 5

Armor Info:

http://www.aocsale.com/aoc-news/Age-of-Conan-Ranger-Class-Guide-574.html

Rangers do face one disadvantage, in that the armor that they wear heavier armor than any other class in the Rogue category, meaning that when it comes to sneaking around they are not quite as capable as other, similar classes. Still, rangers are versatile characters with flexible attacking capabilities.

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=14135

Your hide ability works depending upon a few factors. Time of day. (Obviously it is easier to hide at night then in daylight). Secondly the type of armor that your character is currently wearing.(You make less "noise" in cloth armor then you do in medium). Thirdly the amount of points you have in Hiding and the level of the enemies you are trying to avoid.(I keep my hiding skill maxed out)

I really meant that a ranger's stealth isn't as good when compared to other classes becasue of this armor bonus. I probably should have worded it differently, but hindsight is always 20/20. The difference might be negligable at endgame but again that is why this is an overview aimed at newer players.

Elevation:

http://conanvault.ign.com/wiki/index.php/Ranger_Guide

Solo Tips

Start combat from the farthest distance possible. Attack from high ground when possible (yes, AoC actually takes elevation into account!)

Melee penalty:

Ten Ton Hammer: Is there any penalty for firing a ranged weapon at a close proximity? For instance, if a Ranger continues using a bow even when a monster is eating his face, will he still get full damage on his arrow attacks? Conversely, is there any penalty for being at an extremely long distance other than not doing damage to the creature? Does the damage change for the distance you are away?

Evan: Although you will be able to use ranged weapons up close, the Ranger will suffer some penalties in melee range. However, he will have a handful of melee combos and crowd control methods to deal with these limitations

------

Cons (Weaknesses)

At times easily overwhelmed when taking on multiple enemies in close quarters. Heavier armor means stealth skills are not as strong as they could be. Ranged weapons suffer penalties when used at melee range. Rangers don't really differentiate themselves from other rogue classes until the 30s, where they really come into their own.

You also have to remember that this guide was written well over a month ago. Before the PvP patch, before Craig took over, etc. This game is changing drastically as Funcom tries to bring back a lot of its subscribers, which may date some of the info but I really can't do anything about that.

-Mike DeHart

Mike, Did you play the game or just compile old guides together?

Look, I am not trying to disrespect you here, but the "guide" written in May is nice.  But it was also going off of a LOT of assumptions too.  A LOT.

Seriously, armor does not matter with stealth.  Like I said, cloth and light armors have +stealth on them where Medium armors on the whole do not.  There are a couple of exceptions though.

Bow and xbow speed doesn't matter.  They aren't a factor.  The Wiki is right that the Xbow does hit harder, have shorter range and has some AoE stuff.  But the Bow has an AoE move too.  Just didn't hit as hard, and has more range.

Elevation does NOT play a factor in range for any class.  Because the mechanic isn't there.  It measures X to Y... Z being elevation isn't included in the equation.  It just seems further cause you are on a mountain top... and that player will have to run up the top and bypass invisible walls to get to you, but that isn't increased range.

The game mechanics for that stuff has not changed since  Beta, the PvP Weekend, Open Beta, Early Access or Live.

Oh, and you never have to shift to your melee weapons... ever.  Because range is not an issue.  The instruction book has a tip that states you should switch to melee if the enemy gets close cause range is for range and all that.  It is true in Vanguard (well bugged at the moment) and WAR, but not here.  Don't believe me?  Try it yourself.

And again, it doesn't matter how much stealth you have.. daytime for NPCs you will always be uncovered.

PvP you might get spotted by a player if they search for you... might.  But mostly not.

And here is a question for you personally... I know that the info you obtained is... old.  But why use it?  You could have had this as background info, and played the class yourself, test things out.  You said you talked to high level rangers... they tell you that they switch to melee cause their ranged damage sucked at close range?  I bet not.

Combat mechanics for Ranger attacks have not changed... at all.  Their damage was reduced tons since beta...  except up to level 20ish, and the combo range for melee increased.. but it is all the same.

Why didn't you check your facts?

Mike, Did you play the game or just compile old guides together?

Actually I just used these as proof and it took me a while to find them all. Simple googling.

Look, I am not trying to disrespect you here, but the "guide" written in May is nice. But it was also going off of a LOT of assumptions too. A LOT.

Seriously, armor does not matter with stealth. Like I said, cloth and light armors have +stealth on them where Medium armors on the whole do not. There are a couple of exceptions though.

I'm not talking about +stealth. the mechanic IS there you just don't notice it at 80. I mean i don't know what else to say I've shown you examples to prove my point unless you have similar examples you're pretty much just giving me your word.

Bow and xbow speed doesn't matter. They aren't a factor. The Wiki is right that the Xbow does hit harder, have shorter range and has some AoE stuff. But the Bow has an AoE move too. Just didn't hit as hard, and has more range.

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?p=854559

I don't know where you're getting this either because I've found speed to be a huge factor early on. Again look through the eyes of a 1-30 ranger not your 80 ranger with an epic xbow.

Elevation does NOT play a factor in range for any class. Because the mechanic isn't there. It measures X to Y... Z being elevation isn't included in the equation. It just seems further cause you are on a mountain top... and that player will have to run up the top and bypass invisible walls to get to you, but that isn't increased range.

First i never said it increases range, secondly this is a mechanic that was definitely in during beta so if your next statement is true it should still be in.

The game mechanics for that stuff has not changed since Beta, the PvP Weekend, Open Beta, Early Access or Live.

Oh, and you never have to shift to your melee weapons... ever. Because range is not an issue. The instruction book has a tip that states you should switch to melee if the enemy gets close cause range is for range and all that. It is true in Vanguard (well bugged at the moment) and WAR, but not here. Don't believe me? Try it yourself.

When did I ever say you HAD to switch to melee? I said your ranged damage suffers a penalty at melee range. Which is true.

And again, it doesn't matter how much stealth you have.. daytime for NPCs you will always be uncovered.

PvP you might get spotted by a player if they search for you... might. But mostly not.

This just proves my point that more than just hiding skill is factored into determining your stealth.

And here is a question for you personally... I know that the info you obtained is... old. But why use it? You could have had this as background info, and played the class yourself, test things out. You said you talked to high level rangers... they tell you that they switch to melee cause their ranged damage sucked at close range? I bet not.

I did. I have a 40 level ranger. He's not amazing but again thats why this guide is a newbie guide. At 1-30 level range melee damage is good and I kill as fast with sword and shield as my bow so i recommended using it. The gap between melee/range widens as you level.

Why didn't you check your facts?

I did, and I've back mine up with sources. You should do the same.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

WolfClaws, your wrong man.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

*sighs*

Simple googling.  Try googling Vanguard SoH Druid. 

You will see something from TTH that is 2 years old, and all the info is dead and changed.  Only parts are true.

That is what you got when you googled.

Some parts of the guides and whatnot you found is true, a lot of it isn't.

Stealth works how it works.  I can be a guardian in full plate walking around and if I have trained stealth enough, I shouldn't be discovered by a player.

Same holds true for a rogue class, only they move a lot faster under stealth and have special attacks from stealth.

Being detected is the same.  A guardian with 800 points trained in stealth will be the same as a Ranger or Assassin with 800 points except he will have stam drain and move slower than a rogue.  Players cannot really detect other players.  Broken mechanic or intended... who knows.

PvE in the daylight will detect anyone stealthed.  Period.

Elevation does not help.  It was something they wanted, but never made it in the Gold version of the game.  All elevation does is allow you to attack from locations players will have to work to get to... meanwhile you are still picking them off.  There is no increase to range or accuracy.  That only works if you are in FPS mode.

Heh, it isn't the bow speed, it is the combo refresh you are refering to.  If you use a common attack for bow and xbow, the move refreshes the same speed and when the "cool down" is over, you can attack again, bow or xbow.

Mike, you did say to switch to melee...Read your overview again... which seems shorter now... odd.

Check out this post...

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=169800

It has current rangers from the current community talking about this overview.

And for a basic overview, I would suggest putting a quip on Tracking.. as it is a very important feature for being a ranger.  Especially on PvP servers.

*sighs*

Simple googling. Try googling Vanguard SoH Druid.

You will see something from TTH that is 2 years old, and all the info is dead and changed. Only parts are true.

That is what you got when you googled.

You just said that the mechanics haven't changed since beta. Playing the game isn't going to give you information on what checks or controls happen on the server end every time to shoot your bow or hit the stealth key. For this info I have to turn to the internet. I've tried to find the most accurate information regarding this but because all AoC info is fairly dated it's tough.  If you find other info I'd be happy to hear it but you've still yet to provide any sources that suggest otherwise.

Some parts of the guides and whatnot you found is true, a lot of it isn't.

Stealth works how it works. I can be a guardian in full plate walking around and if I have trained stealth enough, I shouldn't be discovered by a player.

Same holds true for a rogue class, only they move a lot faster under stealth and have special attacks from stealth.

Being detected is the same. A guardian with 800 points trained in stealth will be the same as a Ranger or Assassin with 800 points except he will have stam drain and move slower than a rogue. Players cannot really detect other players. Broken mechanic or intended... who knows.

I'm not talking about a guardian or ranger with 800 hiding I'm talking about one with 50-100. And I'm not talking about players. Yes player detection has been broken since release. I know from first hand experience that a ranger's hiding isn't as effective as an assassin/barb's at low levels (1-20). Why? because of this armor check. It's in the Ranger guide on the AoC forums as of late May and I've searched patch notes trying to find a change to this mechanic but to no avail.

Elevation does not help. It was something they wanted, but never made it in the Gold version of the game. All elevation does is allow you to attack from locations players will have to work to get to... meanwhile you are still picking them off. There is no increase to range or accuracy. That only works if you are in FPS mode.

I'll conceed on this point, but it hardly compromises my article as "a work of fiction."

Heh, it isn't the bow speed, it is the combo refresh you are refering to. If you use a common attack for bow and xbow, the move refreshes the same speed and when the "cool down" is over, you can attack again, bow or xbow.

This is just nit-picking. Combo refresh still slows down the overall speed of the xbow when compared with a bow, because I should hope everyone is using combos when they attack.

Mike, you did say to switch to melee...Read your overview again... which seems shorter now... odd.

No I said: The bow and crossbow suffer penalties when used within melee range, so it's best to switch to a sword.

Nowhere did I ever say you HAVE to switch to melee, but I think its better in the early levels DPS-wise.

I'm not sure what you're insinuating about it being shorter either as I have as much ability to edit it as you do right now. I wrote this article in late August, submitted it, and haven't seen it until now.

Check out this post...

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=169800

It has current rangers from the current community talking about this overview.

Its going to be hard getting good review when your original post pretty much says "Tell me whats wrong with this guide"

I DID base most of this guide off tortage knowledge because 1.) thats the audience i'm aiming for and 2.) i really don't have time to level characters much higher than 1-20 when writing these guides. Due to the limited number of AoC players, let alone people willing to commit to writing 1-2 articles about the game every month, I really only have a week or so to test out every class.

This is why the first paragraph of the guide says:

This is by no means an in-depth guide for the ranger savvy, but if you're new to the class and interested in trying a Ranger this is a great place to start.

Its a completely different game in early levels than it is at 80.

That being said I'm done with this thread as it's going no where and is only turning into a flame war as this point. I've provided evident to backup my info and I'll let that speak for itself.

But it is disrespectful and rude to slander someone's hard work when you provide absolutely no evidence to back up your claims. Correspondents are putting a lot of time and hard work into these articles, and if you don't like them you should become and correspondent yourself and make them better.

Mrbloodworth says it well in his signature:

"Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Mrbloodworth

LOL, it isn't slander if the statements against your "published" articles are true.

Go back in game, and give YOUR experience... Validate what YOU wrote in game.  See if it is true or not.  Cause while you may have raised a ranger to level 40... you obviously didn't notice the stuff you mentioned.

And my little example on guardians in full plate stealthing.... well it doesn't matter how many points.. it was just an example..

An assassin is more likely to get popped out of stealth than that guardian. 

The "conceed" you have given, is only part of it.  Your work is not accurate.. you take it how you want to, but the thing is, players new to the game will read it, and go "wow, I just wasted my time playing, this is nothing like I read about".  So it is my obligation as a player, and member of the community to point this out.  And hopefully nip it in the bud real quick.

Don't worry, you aren't the only correspondent I have seen to do this.  There have been over 3 or so articles that are mis-titled, mis-represented and just plain wrong.

Actually every gameplay feature I've described is accurate. The only things your having problems with are mechanics, and overgeneralizing like that doesn't help.

You will think what you will think I guess... It is normal to defend something that is yours.  And yeah, MMORPG can be to blame for waiting for so long to publish it, but I would have been here anyways.

Your interpretation of stealth is misleading.  Armor does not play a factor. 

Oh, wait before I go on.. when you wrote that at the time, you said you were level 40?

You aren't playing anymore are you?