Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Getting to Know the New Game Director

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com Managing Editor Jon Wood had the opportunity to ask new Age of Conan Game Director Craig Morrison a little bit about himself and his philosophies on gaming.

MMORPG.com:

How does your vision for the game differ from your predecessor's?

Craig Morrison:

I’m not sure there are all that many core differences there in terms of the game-world and what Age of Conan represents. I think the game has a fantastically realized game-world and an experience that is genuinely different and sets us apart from other MMO titles. We really have already captured that brutal energy of the Conan universe and it is reflected in the very action orientated combat system and the lush vibrant game-world. I think it would be foolish to not be proud of that and to strive to extend it even further.

The areas that I will be focusing on in order to achieve the ambition of take the game to the next level are two fold really. Firstly, as I have discussed with the community in my first letters to them, there are some fundamentals to the progression systems (in particular in relation to itemization and statistics) that have to be addressed and we are doing that. Then beyond that I really want to focus on the community aspects of what makes an MMO community shine, improving the PVP systems, improving the guild functionality and support systems and introducing ways that players can feel even more involvement in the world we have build up already.

Read the interview here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182

Very encouraging indeed.

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

• lumachelumache Member Posts: 314

While I know this really isnt this new directors fault, but an apology for being IGNORE, DELETED, MOVED, and outright BANNED from the forums for attempting to bring things like, THE MEMORY LEAK issues, Crashes, grouping issues and others to light on the forums would be a good place to start.  Furthermore, assurances that the forums will become a place where these types of issue are handled, addressed and OPENLY discussed rather than shot down and dealt with punatively would be even better. 

As long as I continue to see people like Rihnlann or whatever on the forums with disclaimers that while he can ban posters and move posts, his views might not be those of FUNCOM, I cant give them my gaming dollars. Well, they already have them until december, however I dont sign in or play the game.  The first few months experience really put me off Conan and FUNCOM in general. 

Where is the new game director to say 'Hey, we know some stuff wasnt done right and we aim to change that." ?  When I receive an apology email and a free month (after december), MAYBE I might be pursuaded to return to this game.  Now dont misunderstand me, I NEVER expect this will happen, though nothing short of this will do for me.  I suspect there are many more out there that feel the same way, most of whom dont post here or anywhere else. 

I wanted Conan to be the place I landed every evening after work and the place I found myself late saturday night smashing away on someones skull. I wanted a place to come and leave the outside world behind, but what I got was something quite different.  I still see this new game director claiming they have a wonderful world etc.... I dont see him admitting the game was a disaster at launch and should have been handled differently.  I dont feel like this guy is fully admitting the extent of the issues with the game and that they understand they alienated alot of folks.

At this point, I think thats the LEAST they need to do to start rebuild the relationships with their customers that they so carelessly and wantonly discarded in the opening months of this game.

Thats my 2Tin.

-Lum

• MordacaiMordacai Member Posts: 309

I ...feel jipped...i bought a collector's edition had problems right from the git-go, and it really didn't turn out to be a fun game AND nothing like what I thought it would be. I echo those sentiments above, I should have cancelled my subscription though at the end of the 1st month and saved myself some more gaming dollars then what I did, I stupidly forgot to cancel it and let it run, nearly 3 months before turning it off.  I would only come back after 6months to a year after launch to see if all the performance, crashes and other issues are fixed.

1 day is what I would give it, if it didn't make me feel part of the world and fun I would never return ever again.

I have learned some things though, on what not to do with a game....that's good for my part.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

The hell with you all.  I'm a merchant of doom! (I knew there was a label to describe me somewhere)

Seriously, though -- I do have a couple of friends who still play AoC so I'd love it if Funcom can somehow turn the game around.  I wish Morrison & crew the best of luck doing so!

• ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182

A lot HAS been done, things are looking up.

If you don't like the game, move on with your life, you will be much happier in the long run.

Merchants of Doom.. perfect

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Originally posted by 3on1

Originally posted by Superstition

im afraid its too late for aoc and the damage has already been done and substantially at that

next time read the interview before saying such non-argumented things ;)

I'm not speaking for Superstition or anything but...

I, for one, did read the interview and do think the damage has been done.

However, unlike many others -- I would love to be proved wrong. I think that a turnaround would be a good thing for the MMO community in general. The only thing that would concern me about this becoming a success story would be if it somehow made other developers believe they could get away with a similar situation.  Let's face it, there's plenty of crappy MMO's on the market and I'd personally rather not see more crap clutter it up and get fixed after.  I think AOC's issues were not in launch (which went very smoothly for me and my guild) but in the weeks directly following it. Change after change, nerf after nerf -- this all convinced me that balance and design just didn't meet with the proper testing and/or programming prior to going live. Change A and I'll move on and concentrate on B. Change B and I'll try to salvage things and work on C. Change C so drastically that there isn't really any point in A through C and I'm done messing with things. (substitue in whatever mixture of classes, powers/abilities, crafts you want -- for me it was the repeated gem changes prior to the PvP patch. Yeah, they were pretty unbalancing before but everyone had access to the same. I didn't PvP in AoC so I took that final kick to my boys and canceled.)

AoC might not be so bad to a newcomer who hasn't seen or been through what many of us have. I have great respect for those with the patience to persist with it. I'm just a merchant of doom and AoC's window to impress has passed for me.

• drarkanexdrarkanex Member Posts: 153

It was meant in the most possible of cynicism.  But honestly, Funcom should just shut their doors and admit they messed up.  I and quite a few of the AoC launch people are saddened and griefed by Funcom's demise.  AoC could have been something new and revolutionary, but in turn we get the usual "It's your fault for buying it" routine.  Funcom deserves every cynical response they can get and i'm not stopping until they fess up that they messed up royally.  I want an apology, a formal apology.  Not some washed up, gleaned over response from Erling.  I want the faces we know from Funcom to formally apologize to EVERYONE for their mistakes.   But until then, they will get nothing.

Originally posted by pjcarmen

A lot HAS been done, things are looking up.
    If you don't like the game, move on with your life, you will be much happier in the long run.
    Merchants of Doom.. perfect

No, I paid $50 for a game and was lied to.  And for that, I'm not going to move on.  I will stay locked in on this subject until I get a formal apology from Funcom stating that they messed up and HOW they messed up.

Sure, I'm playing my WoW and have WotLK on Pre-Order so in essence i have "moved on", but this is a wound left open by me paying $50 for a product that never delivered. ya dig?

im afraid its too late for aoc and the damage has already been done and substantially at that

I think he did read the interview.  Fixing the faults now is not going to win back the hearts of the launch.  You think we want a free month?  You think we want something for nothing?  We already got nothing for something.  Again, and I think I speak for everyone that bought AoC and is no longer playing it, We don't care about a free month.  We're just not going back to it.

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by drarkanex

I think he did read the interview.  Fixing the faults now is not going to win back the hearts of the launch.  You think we want a free month?  You think we want something for nothing?  We already got nothing for something.  Again, and I think I speak for everyone that bought AoC and is no longer playing it, We don't care about a free month.  We're just not going back to it.

I felt the same way. then I played WAR, realized that the visual quality, combat, mechanics and systems in AoC were more looking toward the future, and went back.

I have been happy ever since.

I mean, WAR is played. It is old and derivative. Funcom screwed up, but they also , I think, learned from that mess up. Going forward, AoC of all games has a better chance of holding up. Make the right moves, and it can be fun again.

WoTLK will be doing the same thing that Blizzard has been doing for 4 years, resting on it's laurels, and right now no other game comes close to looking stunning on todays hardware than AoC.

I am willing to support a company who at least took a chance and tried something new. It may have been a mess at first, but the games potential is finally showing. I have a full guild, and I am having a ball.

And believe me...I can be a harsh critic (ask all of my LOTRO fans), and AoC is at least fun...and that is what counts.

• JonMichaelJonMichael Member Posts: 796

What's with this company, anyway?

First we have "Steak and Wine" and now we have "Merchants of Doom".

Does Funcom not understand why so many people have given up on this game?  It's totally their own fault for both lying to their playerbase and not giving what was promised.

Currently: AION, an MMO Beta under NDA
    Played: WAR, LOTRO, Hellgate: London, CoX, GW, SotNW, DAOC, EQ2, SWG, WoW, AO, Horizons, Second Life, There, TSO
    Beta'd: There, Second Life, EQ2, DAOC:LotM, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, Gods and Heroes, Hellgate: London, Requiem:Bloodymare, AoC, WAR, DDO, Fallen Earth

• SoupgoblinSoupgoblin Member Posts: 324

I will take the moniker "Merchant of Doom" any day over Funcom's well earned "Merchants of Deceit".

I was upset about the constant lies, the ignoring of the game testers, and ignoring the problems on the forums. Lag spikes have been a major issue since day one, and there is a thread with over 120 pages of people reporting information such as ISP, city/state/country, server. The lag spikes affect everyone in every country on every server, While in a group (with people from all around the US) we all experience the lag spike at the same time, but oddly enough we are still able to communicate using ventrilo with no hitches, while the game world stands still for a minute (or more), and Funcom still denies that the problem is on their end.

I don't wish Funcom to fail, but if they continue the dishonesty, they will fail, and they will deserve it. The onus is on them to pull their head out. People won't leave because you admit that you screwed up, apologize and work towards the fix, they will leave if you if you continue to lie, blame your customers for your bad coding and drag your feet for half a year to fix things.

Once Funcom can stop the lying and be honest with it's customers, I may resub, but until then I have no need to be a customer of a company that blames me for their own problems.

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

It was meant in the most possible of cynicism.  But honestly, Funcom should just shut their doors and admit they messed up.  I and quite a few of the AoC launch people are saddened and griefed by Funcom's demise.  AoC could have been something new and revolutionary, but in turn we get the usual "It's your fault for buying it" routine.  Funcom deserves every cynical response they can get and i'm not stopping until they fess up that they messed up royally.  I want an apology, a formal apology.  Not some washed up, gleaned over response from Erling.  I want the faces we know from Funcom to formally apologize to EVERYONE for their mistakes.   But until then, they will get nothing.

Well, Gaute resigned, Erling HAS apologized and he's the voice of the company... I'm not sure what else you want. You want to be angry, that's cool. You have every right to be, but that just seems like an odd request.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

Originally posted by Stradden

Well, Gaute resigned, Erling HAS apologized and he's the voice of the company... I'm not sure what else you want. You want to be angry, that's cool. You have every right to be, but that just seems like an odd request.

Agreed...

I mean, look at SWG, Vanguard and SOE, or LOTRO, DDO and Turbine..

I have yet to get an apology OR my money back for that wasted hard drive space..

But, I did learn my lesson and just said "No" to WAR!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

It is up to Funcom to deliever on it's promises for AoC.  We will just have to wait and see.  Remember SWG did not get good until almost a year after release.  You have to admit that AoC still has lots of potential.

As to EA's claim that DAoC has over 100,000 subscribers, I just highly doubt that.  Maybe in the past year they had that many at some time, but the game is so dated and so messed up with all the multiple server types and server consolidations.  I would be shocked if they had more than 50k.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

I agree with Stradden

They have fixed a good chunk of the launch issues, the game is still really young, so there is ALWAYS going to be issues to work through. People expect the game to come out flawlessly and BE that way 4 months after launch? That doesn't make any sense, and isn't a realistic request with a game like Age of Conan. I understand the disappointment, I understand the frustration, I understand  people wanting more, but let's be honest. Look at everything they have done over the past few months, a short time in a MMO's life, to fix as many issues as possible, while adding in features people want to see. Nobody is giving them a fair break, once they fix a handful, people want two handfuls, once they do that, people want 3 handfuls, so look at it from their perspective. Look how short a time it has taken them to fix the bugs, to fix the performance, to add the new content in comparison to other games which can take a year, or even two years to fix and add half of what Funcom has. (Not going to mention which title I'm speaking of).

The way I see it, if you were once really looking forward to Age of Conan, wait a couple of big updates, than try it out again. If you're one of the people who's going to naysay everything, please do it to your own group of friends, or try it out again, too and see if it changes your mind at all.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Jumping on the proposal for questions to Stradden.

First even if I'm not anymore subscribed to AoC I can say, as many others players, I'm following the game closely and I do see the improvements  and more important better communication.

I'm parsing below the post I made when I quit the game the questions in blue are the ones I'm still asking.

For Now I have an issue with itemization as stats should matter in the near future. Unless there is social clothing how will you let players have their characters look like the way they want to?

For quite some time now, I saw no official word on the UI, which is still a major hindrance as the interface between the player and the game.

I'm still hopeless  for socialization, still not as much as WAR though...

By the way your customer service never actually answered my personal email, nor your community managers my PMs. In this I have some faith with you, as new Product Director, that the service will improve.

As a final note I did read the data about crafting changes and well I'm sorry but I'm not impressed nor even interested in so far.

Almost forgot : why don't you merge English US and European forums? US are dead and there are much less official posts than europeans ones.

Repost from AoC forums:

In hope this post added to many others silent and no so silent voices help improving AoC.

So let me tell you the story of a gamer, like you.

Until about one month before launch I wasn't interested in AoC at all. I was more looking forward WAR.

Mature content (read adult community), combo system, character customization, interesting crafting, PvE with PvP sieges made me preorder the CE edition.

At first I had a blast in the pre-launch, the game was gorgeous, combo and fatalities fun and the story line with voice overs was great.

I kept playing and leveled casually, knowing better not to burn through content too fast after launch.

I made my wife toy with a necromancer, as she loved playing one in Diablo II, then spend over 1000$ on a new PC for her. I also made two friends of mine join us in Hyboria.

I can say we do had some fun together, but the bugs and issues started impacting heavily on our game play.

As almost all players I know, memory leaks became pretty annoying. We became used to them and well each patch had us hoping it might finally be something of the past.

The game stability was the main reason one of my two friends left... for Lotro. And he keeps telling me how polished is this game. Funny is he never wanted to try it out when I was playing it.

Another big issue we had was the UI. The main one was lack of scaling feature. The chat system wasn't helping communication at all, the friend/guild list a big mess.

I spent lot of time looking for and tweaking the UI getting external software to keep focused on the game not the UI.

So in the end we had:

- a player made custom UI (that I manually patched after each update and published it to my friends)

- an external software to be able to remap hotkeys

- custom external macros to swap weapons and hot bars

After over a month, we knew the social feature was lacking heavily. Not only the UI didn't help (chat system) nor either the many instances and unfriendly system to switch or find friends, plus there was no need nor no gain to group at all.

Player cities lost in the corners of the games added to time travel sink made us avoid that part.

Player customization which keeps us hooked to our characters seemed interesting at start then left us with a sour taste in our mouth. Not only we looked all the same, but the sexy clothes for male and females where just lacking that added to all our male characters be obliged to wear kilts.

On top of that succubus with missing nipples and wearing a g-string was killing the immersion and made us feel weird. So we found and used a mod adding one and removing the other. Still the medusa spell looks weird.

On a side note could someone explain to me why you pushed live weapons and shields hooks that are one feed behind the back of the characters?

About the visual aspect of the game, we all agree the game is gorgeous. Alas there are two things very annoying. First one is when you speak to some NPC the bloom is so high that is makes our eyes bleed. The second one is I don't read anymore the npc texts as it's barely readable. NPC = click, click, click...

We experienced the "balance" of the game and the always never welcome "stealth patches". At least we had one respec.

As not so young players we didn't grind, not anymore, for the top end items. Even items description and itemization was so badly implemented that we just kept items mostly for look.

We started looking forward crafting but we never actually started crafting just reading the feedback on the appropriate forums. We knew it would be a waste of time.

At this time we had the feeling mature content was lacking and even we noticed some removal of it. Like you can't look under skirts anymore, there is a black layer

I started asking about the mature topic on the forums and became one point from being banned because of the inconsistent moderation. This, without trolling ever and always being polite.

I do know nobody will ever answer to my email to your customer service Funcom, I stopped bothering.

I still have some hope, no more faith, for AoC that's why I maintained the list of frequently asked suggestions.

I stopped playing for some time and it's my friends that left and my wife that doesn't enjoy the game anymore that helps me quit. So, family and friends quit.

If I may here a few topics I would focus on to improve AoC:

MMO: improve socialization, better tools to chat, find an form groups, mini games

Ownership: give a sense of ownership to the players.

Character customization, player/guild housing to display trophies, itemization

UI: move, hide|show, rescale, anything. Redo trading UI, add notification for email, add foes/enemies lists. Ability to remap anything. Put NPC text at bottom of "cut scenes" and answers at top on the black banners.

Combat: put melee and ranged on combos or balance the difference.

Redo combo system with a console type. Now it click - wait - click - wait

Crafting: delete and redo, look at SWG where crafting matters and improves socialization, ownership and achievement.

Mature content: just deliver what you have been advertising.

Forums: sorry folks but get rid of non pros and hire skilled mods that keeps professional and consistent.

I wish AoC will be better in the future even if I do know WAR launch will have a huge impact in the next 3-4 months.

Regards,

just another player.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Then Back into LotRo

Contrary to what most AoC players think, the combo system, which is good, isn't really much different or better than LotRo. As someone said it's a password protected skill system. It would be awesome if it was a console combo system.

What I didn't miss in AoC was the really annoying shouts characters makes in LotRo. Captains the worst. I still wish I could disable or had a sound slider for that part.

I agree the graphics are gorgeous and I loved seeing huge stairs leading to well designed temples. The general design of the world is really well made. Not better than LotRo but maybe a bit more appealing. Sometimes you feel like you are visiting some ancient civilization ruins, gorgeous. But instances kils the immersion and socialization. Only for that LotRo is 100% better.

Even if all the classes are interesting in AoC, balancing them for PvP really kills them. I like how in LotRo each class has his purpose and isn't "worried" with balance.

I /bow @Turbine for the way they tweaked our classes with the class updates publishes. It was smart, sexy and efficient.

Character customization is really good up to level 10-20, and then you realize you look all the same. Warriors wearing kilts is nice until you realize you can't find a damn pair of pants. Now I'm really happy to have access to LotRo social clothing system.

Crafting, I love crafting in MMO as it's what I do when I get bored at killing stuff. Thing is I didn't even try it in AoC just reading posts and players feedback. I still miss SWG crafting system. Even trust me LotRo's, which is fine, is really nice regarding AoC.

The quests aren't better or worse, just another game with different universe. Even some "mature" dialogues are nice. You can feel the evilness or rudeness in the characters, I liked the change.

UI, well at first look it's nice, after a few hours it's just one of the worst I ever saw. I'm happy I can now scale my UI and have some useful features like locking and hiding my inventory items. Even I do miss some very nice features from AoC: separate quest, crafting and inventory bags, general area map markers for quests AND mouse look toggle!!! I like how I logged back and my old self made Yessh UI was still working without having to patch anything /cheers @Turbine.

I think AoC will be a very nice game in the long term but for now LotRo IS the nice game.

On a final note, when I left LotRo, I kept my subscription going because I had the feeling my money was well used while I was out and the devs deserved it. Sadly that I can't say for AoC

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by lumache

While I know this really isnt this new directors fault, but an apology for being IGNORE, DELETED, MOVED, and outright BANNED from the forums for attempting to bring things like, THE MEMORY LEAK issues, Crashes, grouping issues and others to light on the forums would be a good place to start.  Furthermore, assurances that the forums will become a place where these types of issue are handled, addressed and OPENLY discussed rather than shot down and dealt with punatively would be even better. 
    As long as I continue to see people like Rihnlann or whatever on the forums with disclaimers that while he can ban posters and move posts, his views might not be those of FUNCOM, I cant give them my gaming dollars. Well, they already have them until december, however I dont sign in or play the game.  The first few months experience really put me off Conan and FUNCOM in general. 
    Where is the new game director to say 'Hey, we know some stuff wasnt done right and we aim to change that." ?  When I receive an apology email and a free month (after december), MAYBE I might be pursuaded to return to this game.  Now dont misunderstand me, I NEVER expect this will happen, though nothing short of this will do for me.  I suspect there are many more out there that feel the same way, most of whom dont post here or anywhere else. 
    I wanted Conan to be the place I landed every evening after work and the place I found myself late saturday night smashing away on someones skull. I wanted a place to come and leave the outside world behind, but what I got was something quite different.  I still see this new game director claiming they have a wonderful world etc.... I dont see him admitting the game was a disaster at launch and should have been handled differently.  I dont feel like this guy is fully admitting the extent of the issues with the game and that they understand they alienated alot of folks.
    At this point, I think thats the LEAST they need to do to start rebuild the relationships with their customers that they so carelessly and wantonly discarded in the opening months of this game.
    Thats my 2Tin.

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Gaute "Disaster" Godager has left the building. So Craig can be forth coming and express himself and admit that Gaute screwed up big time!

There is a good reason Gaute left (better described as he HAD to leave).

If you sell 800.000 copies and then couple months later, except for a couple servers, all game servers have turned into a ghost town. Then I call that a dissaster!

And all those players left for a good reason. And if you even want a small percentage of them back, then you better start with an Open Apology to the community that your predecesor screwed over their entire playerbase and litterly chased them out of the game.

As that is what happened. And it will be very, I repeat, it will be very very hard for Funcom to get even a small percentage of their customers back.

There is just so much that need to be done in that game, I don't even know where to start or where to end.

But I do feel for Craig tho. That he is the one that has to step in and clean up the mess Gaute left behind...... again.

Cheers

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by Guillermo197

Originally posted by lumache

Thats my 2Tin.

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Gaute "Disaster" Godager has left the building. So Craig can be forth coming and express himself and admit that Gaute screwed up big time!

There is a good reason Gaute left (better described as he HAD to leave).

If you sell 800.000 copies and then couple months later, except for a couple servers, all game servers have turned into a ghost town. Then I call that a dissaster!

And all those players left for a good reason. And if you even want a small percentage of them back, then you better start with an Open Apology to the community that your predecesor screwed over their entire playerbase and litterly chased them out of the game.

As that is what happened. And it will be very, I repeat, it will be very very hard for Funcom to get even a small percentage of their customers back.

There is just so much that need to be done in that game, I don't even know where to start or where to end.

But I do feel for Craig tho. That he is the one that has to step in and clean up the mess Gaute left behind...... again.

Cheers

I agree the forum moderation is a disaster on the US part, inconsistent for the least. They need to hire pros...

I think they did apologize and there are limits Craig can't go over. Honestly could he really say : hey we screwed big time, Gaute work blows and blah blah blah... no can't do Sir.

Funcom needed a head they took Gaute. If you step back SOE didn't do half that with SWG.

Personally I'm giving Funcom a 6-12 months. Then I'll be back to check how things goes on so I can try my collector's edition mount I never had the level to try out, funny indeed.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Originally posted by Deewe

I agree the forum moderation is a disaster on the US part, inconsistent for the least. They need to hire pros...

I think they did apologize and there are limits Craig can't go over. Honestly could he really say : hey we screwed big time, Gaute work blows and blah blah blah... no can't do Sir.

Funcom needed a head they took Gaute. If you step back SOE didn't do half that with SWG.

Personally I'm giving Funcom a 6-12 months. Then I'll be back to check how things goes on so I can try my collector's edition mount I never had the level to try out, funny indeed.

I don't think the moderation had anything to due with how the game ended up. If a professional took over the job, then less posts would probably be deleted. But then you will have people who go against that, stating they allow any non sense on thier forums. Now some of thier moderators have show thier true colors as you shall say. Im sure most of them have been warned not to let personal opinions draw over onto the boards. But some of thier moderation and moderators are actually good. I can name 3 off the top of my head that actually wanted to help the community by creating helpful threads. I think Famine messed up in the procedure he took to enlist these people. He should of looked through there applications more and asked more questions to them. But as I stated, moderation wasn't the problem with the game. The company let itself turn into a mess. They showed consumers no organization and repeatidly stated things and set dates on things they couldnt meet. This showed consumers that they don't care for what goes on with thier community and kinda shunned us all. This spilled over into the forums and people started noticing moderation because they were plain bored of the game. Even the moderators seemed to get to this point as they started opening up themselves more to the community.

Should this game hand out a free month? They should do more. They should make this game f2p and let it go. They always stated they would learn from thier mistakes, but they kept making them. The only way to bring people back for me would be to relaunch the game in a new scope. Take the bad things from this game and remove them. Things like thier decimal stat system, really fubar'd crafting system which seems to go no were, and gems. They need to quit thinking about dx10 and make their game. I always think to much can be detrimental to a product. And Age of Conan did exactly that. They looked for to much and it ended up as confusion. Things like what do these stats do and what are these spells really doing made people lose attention in the game. MMORPG's are always about how addicted can you get in the game. How much time will one want to invest in the world and will they understand it. Age of Conan confused people in all those areas. They need to make it f2p because at this point in time, no one wants to come back to the same scenario.

I was a true supporter of Age of Conan and Funcom because I enjoyed my relationships with some of thier staff. I can only hope for them the best, but with the way things went, i come to not care about ever returning. F2P probably isn't the best idea, but for a game that will most likely end up as a loss, what other way is there besides closing the doors?

• ArthineasArthineas Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by Valentina

I agree with Stradden

They have fixed a good chunk of the launch issues, the game is still really young, so there is ALWAYS going to be issues to work through. People expect the game to come out flawlessly and BE that way 4 months after launch? That doesn't make any sense, and isn't a realistic request with a game like Age of Conan. I understand the disappointment, I understand the frustration, I understand  people wanting more, but let's be honest. Look at everything they have done over the past few months, a short time in a MMO's life, to fix as many issues as possible, while adding in features people want to see. Nobody is giving them a fair break, once they fix a handful, people want two handfuls, once they do that, people want 3 handfuls, so look at it from their perspective. Look how short a time it has taken them to fix the bugs, to fix the performance, to add the new content in comparison to other games which can take a year, or even two years to fix and add half of what Funcom has. (Not going to mention which title I'm speaking of).

The way I see it, if you were once really looking forward to Age of Conan, wait a couple of big updates, than try it out again. If you're one of the people who's going to naysay everything, please do it to your own group of friends, or try it out again, too and see if it changes your mind at all.

Well said and QFT.  I agree with what you said 100%.  The game has after all only been out for 4 months.  MMORPGs have had far more problems then AoC has and have survived and thrived. EQ and UO are prime examples.  Even WoW had many problems and look at what it became today.

Of course AoC will not be on WoW's level but it can still be moderately successful with constant improvement.  I think they are definitely headed in the right direction.

• RosenthorneRosenthorne Member UncommonPosts: 94

It never seems to amase me that the biggest critics of the game are people who admit that they havent played since month 1.....Fact is, the game HAS improved, things ARE getting fixed, people ARE being listened to!

Personally, I have kept playing and have seen these changes evlve...slowly, but they are happening. This new Director seems to have the users interests at heart, so GIVE HIM A GO!!!!

I also have rolled numerous alts, and there seem to be a lot of new players coming through, so perhaps the old "haters" wont even be missed....

Cheers

That is what I consider Funcoms apology...

Simple..I see it like this

"OMG, Gaute, step down or we fire you...Craig take this crap over and fix it..."

I say...

Apology accepted.

• SoupgoblinSoupgoblin Member Posts: 324
    Originally posted by Rosenthorn

It never seems to amase me that the biggest critics of the game are people who admit that they havent played since month 1.....Fact is, the game HAS improved, things ARE getting fixed, people ARE being listened to!
    Personally, I have kept playing and have seen these changes evlve...slowly, but they are happening. This new Director seems to have the users interests at heart, so GIVE HIM A GO!!!!
    I also have rolled numerous alts, and there seem to be a lot of new players coming through, so perhaps the old "haters" wont even be missed....

Actually, those "new players" you speak of are just like you, old players starting alts.

I say this because I have been playing AoC since release, and will continue to play yill the end of the month. I don't feel the need to pay and wait for Craig to fix things, if/when the problems are gone, I may re-sub, but I don't see the need to pay to play an unfinished, unbalanced, unfun game for another 4 months.

One of my posts was deleted because of trolling.  However, my statement I made was not trolling.  There are going to be people that absolutely love the game and there are going to be people that absolutely hate the game.  I believe that's what a forum is about.  My post I made was not trolling in anyway and I point shame in the mods direction for labeling it as 'Troll' 

Again, there are going to be people on both sides of the board expressing their opinion and because a mod here feels like he's overstepping his boundaries and feels threatened by a post and labels it "trolling" when in fact the post wasn't anywhere near trolling. 

This is a forum, where people discuss things.  If i'm not able to "ney say", then what use are these forums?