Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what do you think?

Does this game have a future? Is there an end-game worth playing for, or anything at all really to give me a goal aside from better gear?

I am playing the trial and seems pretty cool - but I am also playing WAR. WAR isn't the most fun game there is, but it seems to be the best I can get at the moment.

My only real reservations about this game, is that it's not a highly populated game, and has seemed like it could go under any day for a while now. Also it sounds like there's not a whole lot to do later in the game.

WAR isn't all that fun, but it seems like it has more of a future to look forward to, but what about Vanguard?

Just looking for opinions, and perhaps any information to shed some light on these issues and show my ignorance on them, if possible.

Thanks.

Comments

• DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464

Interesting, i'm in the exact same situation as yourself. Currently playing WAR, some things I really enjoy about it, others I really don't. #1 the graphics and performance of WAR.

So I thought to myself, hmm I had a much worse system when I first tried Vanguard awhile ago, bugs have probably been fixed lets give it a try.

Have everything on Full and Vanguard looks very nice...however

I've heard the game is one long grind, and if you're a casual player to stay away. This worries me. I'm also not one to go heavy into raiding at end game.

So right now I have no idea whether to stick with WAR, go with Vanguard or re-sub AOC.

• RaavRaav Member Posts: 120

Does VG have a future?  Yes, up till now the devs focus has been on fixing VG.  It is now fixed.  Now is the inflection point where they can finally focus on really growing VG.  Content is now the focus.

Currently, VG's population is now Medium on Xeth and Seradon ( the two US servers).  This is a major milestone.  It means more peeps are subing.

Content wise, there is stuff to do at all levels and it gets harder the higher you get.  If your new, its a great time to join a mature helpful and friendly community.  If you have a maxxed character and already won the Raid zone APW, then wait a month.

The game is in really good shape right now and growing.

• pruttelpruttel Member UncommonPosts: 22

I think at the moment there are more than enough ppl on the 3 non-pvp servers, the sartok pvp server is struggling tho. There is loads to do at high end if you like raiding and long quest chains. Both can be done either hardcore or casual( lots of casual guilds out there). They are adding new content in the next few weeks for high end as well.

If you like PVE and a mature community VG is your bet. If you expect a deep pvp experience stay away from it at this point of time, as other games more cater towards it.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Seems Vanguards end game is at the moment raid heavy. Vanguard is like all games of its kind, the goal is better gear and better characters while having fun with your friends. The game world is huge and if exploring new areas is to your liking VG has a lot to offer. If casual play is your thing VG may not be the right choice, but I am sure you can still find plenty to do, you just will have a hard time raiding. Then again if you love raiding chances are you are not a casual player anyway.

SOE seems to have put in a good amount of work and i doubt they are thinking of closing the doors any time soon. If EA owned it or NCSoft it might be in more trouble, but with the all access pass SOE seems to keep games alive longer than some might.

• vardarvardar Member Posts: 282

Vanguard is a good game, Same with War, but the 1  thing that i personnally feel is that War has more action going on, more things to do, its more 'alive' then Vanguard.....

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

WAR definitely seems a bit more alive... it's just that after the beginning, it shifts and becomes like any other game, albeit with mor easily available PvP. PvE in WAR is boring, and there aren't enough people most of the time to make RvR or Public Quests worthwhile. On my server, Gorfang, I've been in scenario queues for all three beginner scenarios for three hours or so now and I haven't gotten into one.

I don't mind a grind to a degree, if I have something major to strive for, and I know people in the game. WAR has a horrible community as of yet - no one really talks to each other, and even when I try, I usually get nothing in return. Community is a major thing for me, and it seems that Vanguard probably wins in this area.

Even WAR is a grind; there's like no way around that in MMO's.

Raids aren't usually my thing... but then, I've played WoW for three years, and what else is there to do in that really but PvP and Raid?

If the amount of players needed to raid isn't too high, it may not be too bad, though. I'll have to check into that, 'cause I don't remember that.

• KaiserjagerKaiserjager Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by Raav

Does VG have a future?  Yes, up till now the devs focus has been on fixing VG.  It is now fixed.  Now is the inflection point where they can finally focus on really growing VG.  Content is now the focus.
    Currently, VG's population is now Medium on Xeth and Seradon ( the two US servers).  This is a major milestone.  It means more peeps are subing.
    Content wise, there is stuff to do at all levels and it gets harder the higher you get.  If your new, its a great time to join a mature helpful and friendly community.  If you have a maxxed character and already won the Raid zone APW, then wait a month.

I disagree with a really good shape comment, it is in a decent shape and it is workable but nothing out of the ordinary. Especially so if one has a medium level computer.

That being said the game does offer quite a few features and content. While I doubt it will ever become a second MMO comming I think that it shapes up into a decent product. So yes, I would agree - the game is growing.

• gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Decadentia

Interesting, i'm in the exact same situation as yourself. Currently playing WAR, some things I really enjoy about it, others I really don't. #1 the graphics and performance of WAR.
    So I thought to myself, hmm I had a much worse system when I first tried Vanguard awhile ago, bugs have probably been fixed lets give it a try.
    I've heard the game is one long grind, and if you're a casual player to stay away. This worries me. I'm also not one to go heavy into raiding at end game.
    So right now I have no idea whether to stick with WAR, go with Vanguard or re-sub AOC.

I'm in much the same position - just started WAR - have also gone back to Vanguard and been pleasantly surprised by the improvements - I seem to be able to enjoy the game now without awful textures and stuttering (so far anyway - perhaps different story awaits in the urban areas).

I think the answer is, just play both games as the notion takes us until we get fed up with one or the other. I think both have very different things to offer and it's nice to finally have a couple of viable alternatives to WoW and LoTRO. Both excellent games, but you get tired of anything eventually...

From what I can gather, though, AoC is a bit of a murder picture at the moment. with only the hardcore fanbois still playing.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by Gajari

Does this game have a future? Is there an end-game worth playing for, or anything at all really to give me a goal aside from better gear?
    I am playing the trial and seems pretty cool - but I am also playing WAR. WAR isn't the most fun game there is, but it seems to be the best I can get at the moment.
    My only real reservations about this game, is that it's not a highly populated game, and has seemed like it could go under any day for a while now. Also it sounds like there's not a whole lot to do later in the game.
    WAR isn't all that fun, but it seems like it has more of a future to look forward to, but what about Vanguard?
    Just looking for opinions, and perhaps any information to shed some light on these issues and show my ignorance on them, if possible.
    Thanks.

Vanguard is not going to close up.  Sony has kept games around that are doing far worse.  In fact if xfire is a reasonable measure, vanguard is starting to beat out eq on number of people playing.  So I think the subs have been slowly growing.

VG also has more content then most MMOs.  Not only does it blow most games away on adventuring content it also has crafting, harvesting, and diplomacy content and each one is almost like another game.  Compare to a game like war vanguard is a behemeth.

With the game now running pretty stable and most bugs squashed the devs are talking about ramping up the addition of new content at the high lvls.  Right now high lvls have some long questlines for mounts, some good high lvl dungeons full of interesting quests, a faction area for a rather long armor quest, another dungeon area I haven't done, and a huge raid dungeon, and I do mean huge.

I'm currently spending a lot of time playing war but have gone back to vanguard some as well.  War is already starting to feel old while last night I logged into vanguard and was really feeling the draw to go get a group. 

---
    Ethion

• SpeedMannSpeedMann Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Originally posted by Raav

More likely people are just giving the trial a go. But more subs will probably come from that.

==================================================
    Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

• ZilodZilod Member Posts: 15

i have not tried war but i think they are 2 different games

war to me seem to focus more on pvp with RvR while vanguard is pve focused

about the population and such... well it is actually growing so i dont think is going to shut up or something like that... aoc came out and pop kept going up, war came out and servers are still running strong :P (well the few servers eheh)

i think one of the good thing about vanguard is actually the things to do, you can go crafting or dip when you are tired of adventuring and the game is so big and classes different and fun to play that it have huge "replay factor" ... so dont be scared to do everything in a pair of week :)

about grinding... well is the structure of D&D like games... good thing about vanguard is that you can level up no prob doing your quests and you dont need to camp rooms to get good exp (as in eq for example)

if you like pve i think that vanguard is a pretty solid choice nowadays... if you like pvp well probably eve ehm war (:P) is better

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

This is the best game to hit the market since Everquest.

If you've ever been to Castle Mistmoor and liked it you need to play this game.

So many thoughts and opinions about this game these days but you need to form your own on this one really.

Go play the trial and get on a flying mount as soon as you have 25copper (shouldnt take long at all)

• DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by gracefield

Originally posted by Decadentia

I'm in much the same position - just started WAR - have also gone back to Vanguard and been pleasantly surprised by the improvements - I seem to be able to enjoy the game now without awful textures and stuttering (so far anyway - perhaps different story awaits in the urban areas).

I think the answer is, just play both games as the notion takes us until we get fed up with one or the other. I think both have very different things to offer and it's nice to finally have a couple of viable alternatives to WoW and LoTRO. Both excellent games, but you get tired of anything eventually...

From what I can gather, though, AoC is a bit of a murder picture at the moment. with only the hardcore fanbois still playing.

Id say quite the contrary, I started AOC from the start and it's actually quite the fun game. I was playing with a few friends who never really got into it, and without a guild I eventually lost interest. AOC has plenty of potential however, I wouldn't snub it.

• jatskijatski Member UncommonPosts: 32

Played Vanguard a few months back and I enjoyed it alot, found a really awsome guild. Then my month expired and I couldnt pay with my credit card for some reason. So I had to shelfe it, sadly.                                      Then I waited for WAR, played it, wanted it to be the best mmo so much. To be honest it is really boring, and i usually love pvp games. Im not sure what makes me dislike WAR, the feeling just isnt there. The lag, small zones which I rush through, pvp isnt actually that fun (compared to daoc).

Anyways, I had great time in Vanguard and noticed today that i had a free month to play. Im gonna try and reach max level and enjoy my time ingame. If i feel the game can't deliver for some reason i quit, but I think it wont. Even though I have zero former mates there. Hope the EU server isn't dead!

Just airwalking.

• RaavRaav Member Posts: 120

Halgar the EU server is super healthy.  Enjoy your return to Telon.