Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Hickman - Addressing the Cut Classes

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

In the first part of our post-launch interview with Mythic Entertainment's Jeff Hickman, MMORPG.com Managing Editor Jon Wood asks a couple of questions about the four classes that were cut from the game pre-launch, when we can expect to see them in-game, whether or not they are affecting game balance and more.

MMORPG.com:

When and how are you going to implement the careers and cities that were cut prior to launch?

Jeff's Answer:

Sorry folks, there’s not set date for this just yet, but Jeff had some interesting things to say on the topic and assured us that they hadn’t been forgotten and that they would be in the game:

“We desperately want to do some of these things that we’ve pulled out of the game… We do have plans. We’ve been talking about it for months and it’s very important to us to do the right things with the game. I don’t mean to sound wishy-washy about it. We’re going to [get the classes in]. It’s just a matter of how long it takes us to do the right things to those classes. We pulled them away for a reason and that’s because they weren’t as good as they needed to be. So we’re looking at those classes hard now and we’re looking at how long it’s going to take us to make them to the point where they feel as good as the other 20 classes in the game.”

“I firmly believe,” he said “that our classes… each one feels cool and unique in and of themselves.” He doesn’t however, want everyone to like every class. He told us that his goal was to evoke emotion from players about the classes. Players should love some and hate others.”

“We’re going to launch those classes when they’re absolutely ready,” he continued, answering the original question, “hopefully it will be fairly soon., but don’t look for it in the next couple of weeks. That’s just not going to happen. We have to make these things perfect or at least as perfect as they can be.”

Read the interview here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• NogginNoggin Member Posts: 808

Well that's good news. I'm sure a lot of people will be very happy with the addition of the Choppa and Hammerer specifically.

• skaiskai Member UncommonPosts: 100

Amazing.  A developer level-headed enough to point out that while the cut classes created an imbalance in T1, they don't matter for the T4 balance which is significantly more important.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

funny that he completely ignored - not just side-stepped - but ignored the city part of the questions

are they gone for good?

has this been brought up anywhere else?

• BurnthebedBurnthebed Member Posts: 443

I can't wait for the knight of the blazing sun to come back. The empire needs some meat shields!

Also, the black guard was the class I planned on playing before they were cut so I'll be interested in trying one, even though I don't play destro at all right now =P

The sleeper awakes...and rides his dirtbike to the mall.

• RedmowRedmow Member Posts: 196

I got out of it that the cities are not gone for good but rather the cut classes rate first before that along with other glitches and bugs.

My only complaint was not seeing anything on improved chat. Of course, that question wasn't asked either.

I agree about the RvR stuff. I've had times where my Chaos Chosen gets stomped and other times, I'm doing the stomping. Of course, I've had to change my play style. I took Chaos Chosen to heart and just rushed into battle maiming, killing and destroying. I try to be more of a team player now.

But, getting a good defense set up or a good retaliatory strike going really needs a good chat system. I'm not talking about the scenarios but rather the RvR areas in the zones. We were getting stomped last night a few steps away from the war camp...the war camp was full of potential reinforcements. I had to /shout to get some help.

Overall, I'm loving the game. Granted, I'm only rank 9 but so far so good except for a few things.

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674

I want a gamma option. I have more issues with that than anything besides gold sellers and PQs being empty. I accept that RvR is going to be hit or miss. Cities at the moment is the least of my worries and classes would be nice but I am still exploring the ones that are there.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

Its nice he doesn't (but understands) think people should judge the game so early but for a lot of people they don't wanna wait and if the game at the beginning doesn't suck them in then they pretty much will say screw this.  There is imbalance in the game perhaps when they add those classes in it will even out dunno, not sure how many are willing to wait.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891
    Originally posted by gatheris

funny that he completely ignored - not just side-stepped - but ignored the city part of the questions
    are they gone for good?
    has this been brought up anywhere else?

He did answer the question there's no ETA but the're not cut they're simply not in yet.  Try rereading the first paragraph and the name of the topic.

• iceberg2iceiceberg2ice Member Posts: 13

funny how they are discussing about extra content when the game is so full of bugs and imperfections... and the warhammeralliance forum does not even allow posting about them... they should be looking at fixing the rushed unfinished buggy release first before even thinking about adding more content...

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883
    Originally posted by iceberg2ice

funny how they are discussing about extra content when the game is so full of bugs and imperfections... and the warhammeralliance forum does not even allow posting about them... they should be looking at fixing the rushed unfinished buggy release first before even thinking about adding more content...

Thats wonderful fan sites for you, thats why Mythic is using them to hide the problems, thats why they don't have their own forums, to hide from the problems, oh they go around looking at what people are saying (thats why whats his face in the interview probably seems kinda hurt from how people are judging the game so early)  but still i think they made things worse by having things spread out, then on their own forums, least some companies care enough about their playerbase that they give ya a home =P

I'll just say that the game is in beta..oh wait..i kid i kid but still that was an excuse for a long time and things that should have been fixed never did get fixed if they don't have people staying on after the first free month its because they don't wanna pay for beta testing which with all the issues its starting to feel that way.

I personaly will stay till my free month is up then cancel, i'll check back on the game when more problems are gone and the things that should have been released are in the game =)

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897

eh maybe im just lucky but the only bug i have seen is the "incorrect password" bug i got the other night. other than that my game has been running pretty darn good ... sure theres a crash here and there ... but um what game doesn't.

heck eq2 crashes on me every once in a while, and my friends WoW game crashed just the other night.

is the game perfect? eh of course not but "rushed, unfinished buggy release"? just smells of a WoWboi stink.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

Jeff, sometimes it's more a simple matter of giving paying customers what they want. It's sounds like the missing classes are on indefinite hold. That's cool. Take as long as you want, but don't be surprised when we take our dollars somewhere else while you dilly-dally around with this. You say that each of the classes you've released are unique in and of themselves. I think you're starting to believe your own hype. Each class within an archetype is basically the same as every other class in that archetype. The only real difference is cosmetic, different flashy effects, but nothing really unique. They all progress pretty much the same. Judging from what you released, I have to wonder if the missing classes just weren't finished, rather than not "fun enough". Frankly, what you released wasn't that great either.

But hey, take your time. I'll just refrain from throwing any more money into WAR until you guys get your act together. This consumer isn't supporting an unfinished product.

Nice interview, Jon. Thanks for pulling these guys out of their corner a little bit.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• dutchmandutchman Member UncommonPosts: 61

as long as the classes and city's are in before the end of the year i will be happy.  fron day 1 i wanted to blay a black guard:(.    (also play DE on tabletop)

• SouvecSouvec Member UncommonPosts: 698

Maybe I am one of the lucky few but I have yet to see anything I would consider a bug.  Imperfections... well not sure what your refering to but nothing in this life i perfect, nor game or person.  Get used to it.

Mythic is the only developer I have seen that actually seems to have a solid passion for the product they've released, not to mention are working hard to "perfect" as we go along.  Not to mention that each patch or fix made doesn't destroy half the game in the process.

I like where WAR is going and I think they will be one I will support so long as they continue to support us players.

P.S. Warhammer Alliance isn't a bug-tracking site... if you have issues use the ticket system in game.  That's why they implemented it... you know a central place for all issues to funnel?

Originally posted by LordDraekon

Jeff, sometimes it's more a simple matter of giving paying customers what they want. It's sounds like the missing classes are on indefinite hold. That's cool. Take as long as you want, but don't be surprised when we take our dollars somewhere else while you dilly-dally around with this. You say that each of the classes you've released are unique in and of themselves. I think you're starting to believe your own hype. Each class within an archetype is basically the same as every other class in that archetype. The only real difference is cosmetic, different flashy effects, but nothing really unique. They all progress pretty much the same. Judging from what you released, I have to wonder if the missing classes just weren't finished, rather than not "fun enough". Frankly, what you released wasn't that great either.
    But hey, take your time. I'll just refrain from throwing any more money into WAR until you guys get your act together. This consumer isn't supporting an unfinished product.
    Nice interview, Jon. Thanks for pulling these guys out of their corner a little bit.

i agree I hate the whole "it wasn't good enough" excuse to be honest ... especially since the barely let beta testers try out the classes or even suggest changes to them. i remember i asked if i could make a post asking for suggestions for the cut classes while in beta ... I was warned that they werent taking suggestions and if i pressed the issue they would revoke my beta slot.

sorry but they should let the gamers decide if the class is good enough. also part of me would take a half assed black guard, instead of having to level up another character and switch when the black guard comes out.

How can you play ANY game with classes based on those arch types? Have you honestly NEVER played another game with a tank, mage, rogue, healer system for classes? ALL CLASSES IN THOSE ARCHTYPES ACCROSS ALL GAMES EVER MADE PLAY THE SAME.

Honestly, I'm sorry you don't enjoy the classes, and I hope you find something that suits you to spend your money on.

• DreamforestDreamforest Member Posts: 2
    Meh, I'm more concerned about the population imbalance for RvR than more lame classes. Doesn't matter what classes they are if you get steamrolled every time you go out because you face the zerg.
  • banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891
    Originally posted by Ravanos

i agree I hate the whole "it wasn't good enough" excuse to be honest ... especially since the barely let beta testers try out the classes or even suggest changes to them. i remember i asked if i could make a post asking for suggestions for the cut classes while in beta ... I was warned that they werent taking suggestions and if i pressed the issue they would revoke my beta slot.

sorry but they should let the gamers decide if the class is good enough. also part of me would take a half assed black guard, instead of having to level up another character and switch when the black guard comes out.

And there's the dilemma...do they push out unfinished medocre classes to see if the masses like them? Or do they hold them back to they're finished and less sucky?   Its a lose lose situation..personally we'd see way more flames & haters & trolls if the classes were there and unfinished.  Its obvious from the way they discuss the subject and the fact they weren't seen in beta after christmas last year that they were Not Complete nor probably near it.  While it sucks I can't play the choppa I'd rather not have him if he's going to be a lame peice of crap.

None of you are ever happy when it comes to stuff like this..yous ay let the gamers decide but MOST gamers don't want to be given a peice of unfinished crap.  If they put them in you'd cry they suck if they leave them out you cry because you didn't get to decide well...which is the lesser evil?  To me not having them is the lesser evil...means I still have a chance at liking the class later on.

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

is the game perfect? eh of course not but "rushed, unfinished buggy release"? just smells of a WoWboi stink.

Why does everyone think that if you bash WAR you are automatically a damn WOWboi? WoW blows, its the main reason mmo's dont have that spark anymore.

Originally posted by Goldknyght

Why does everyone think that if you bash WAR you are automatically a damn WOWboi? WoW blows, its the main reason mmo's dont have that spark anymore.

It's a strange thing isn't it? It seems to happen to people who dislike any game other than WoW though, not just WAR

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

They do it for the same reason people blame WoW for the failures of so many other MMO developers.

Strange similarity don't you think?

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by Burnthebed

I can't wait for the knight of the blazing sun to come back. The empire needs some meat shields!
    Also, the black guard was the class I planned on playing before they were cut so I'll be interested in trying one, even though I don't play destro at all right now =P

Yeah that was my fave in Beta and was gutted when they removed em  ....  

because more often than not thats the case, ive seen so many times "omg AOC/WAR or any other game sucks" with Xfire tags with thousands of hours put into WoW.

like i said the game isn't perfect but the whole "rushed, unfinished buggy release" is ridiculous ... maybe its something on his end.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I'm happy that the Mythic devs plan to release these classes sooner rather than later.

Once the four classes are in I will be happy to subscribe to WAR.

At least for the initial 30 days to try the game out.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• MyrdekMyrdek Member Posts: 346

On the subject of the cut cities, why would anyone want them to put them in?

I mean, let's be honest here, how much % of your gaming time have you spent in the 1 city? It's practically always empty so why would you want Mythic to spend a couple of millions in ressources to add 4 more?

I think that's why he avoided the subject, he realises that it's just not worth the time and effort to put them in. At least, not until theres a reason to.

I say focus on the bugs/issues and a way to improve population balance across the world, get the 4 cut classes back in and then you can think about other stuff. That way, people that are holding off like me might be able to play in 6-12 months :)

Btw, anyone who says the game wasn't rushed is on drugs. Of course it was, even a monkey could figure that one out. Mythic was basicly stuck between releasing the game a bit early to not directly compete with Wrath of the Lich King or wait a few more months hoping that Blizzard drops the ball. We all know that Blizzard never fails so option 2 was a no go. Mythic was stuck between 2 lousy choices, they picked the only logical one