Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I really like(d) this game

Hi all.

First off, I never really looked forward to WAR. Those of my online friends who played closed beta (yes, they ignored any NDAs) told me it sucked, so I pretty much took their word for it. Having given up on AoC, and not having the energy to carve myself something in Vanguard (and the EU WotLK beta sucking horrendously) I, and close friends, decided to give WAR a go.

Boy, was I surprised! I really liked the game. The PQs and the fact that I could level through PvP:ing especially. In the beginning I tried some solo quests as well, but quickly realized I found them utter rubbish. Way, way too short in my opinion, I spent more time travelling than doing the actual quest. Not my thing. Well, I levelled on, mostly through PvPing and grinding PQs to get that shiny inf-reward. I am now level 18, and I like the game less and less every minute I play it. I'm fed up with the scenario I can play (there are three in T2, I know, but there's only one people queue up for, the Empire one). And I've done most of the PQs. I've tried questing, but I quickly grow tired of that. And when I look at items, be it from quests, reknown och from PQs, I get this "meh" feeling. Sure they're easily obtainable, but I'll replace them so quickly, so I'm not sure it's worth the hassle in the first place (well, my reknown rank is 17, so there's no hassle involved in getting reknown gear).

I simply can't bring myself to being logged in for more than an hour anymore. I do some scenarios, get bored big time. Look for some RvR, not finding any, and can't really organize any either, since the chat channels are sort of useless. I'm getting the feeling you have to be in a big guild to enjoy this game. Mine is composed of RL friends, all living in the same city, some ten people all in all. So we can't really organize anything (we're quite spread out, level-wise). Am I the only feeling like this? Do you have any tips on how to enjoy the game again? Will it get better later on?

Brunhilde - 18 Rune Priest

Comments

• I am not sure of the population on your server and that is really important for RvR.

But yeah get in or ally with a fairly large guild.  You can only formally ally with 1 guild I think but make some friends with guilds you know like to RvR.

All in all its the best solution if there are not regular open warbands in the RvR areas you are going to.  On a high pop server I would say this is not an issue on medium or low server you need a guild.

But either way you will have more fun in an alliance formed warband.  Especially as a healer since you will get targeted if the opposing side is not stupid.

You don't need to join a big guild just make some alliances, people will be happy to know of other dependable rvr.

As to enjoying the game, I personally like the questing.  But you sound burned out on scenarios, which is understandable so i would definitely try more RvR if i were you.

I think now is the time for you to explore the social networking of your server.  Especially in Tier 2, this starts to become important.  You need alliances; you learn about keep attacks and keep defences and to get regular good rvr.  In the end this is key to RvR.  You are just cheating yourself if you want to RvR with only your guild alone.  Certainly form a regular guild group for your own fun but definitely coordinate with other like minded people.  If you don't you are really cheating yourself.

You don't need to be anything other than a group of decent players various guilds know of to be up for some RvR.  When they need some people for points or the stuff hits the fan they will probably send you a tell or vice versa.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Originally posted by Rytif

You are correct, the game tends to die out close to your level. This when the game's true intentions begins to become a reality, and it's not pretty. Don't listen to Mr. Dillusional that replied earlier, he's just the typical fanboy.

Please enlighten me as to why being a fanboy might be bad? A fanboy is someone who enjoys the game, sport or subject matter he is using or playing or watching. How is this such a bad thing. Can you not come up with a better diss or have you resorted to using words that sound like a compliment as your arguement. There is nothing wrong with hating or liking WAR. To some it may get boring, to others it may be the best thing since slice bread. But no one is dillusional. Its a matter of opinion. This game is all about population. If your on a low pop server, the chances of you enjoying WAR are slim. But it's not to say you cannot find fun ont hose servers. I actually tend to lean towards low pop servers as it's less competition.

But for this genious above me, learn to diss someone. God forbid you actually can come up with something on your own right? There is nothing wrong with being a fan or a fanboy of a game. There is something wrong with people who think compliments are diss's. Learn to educate yourself my friend.

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

If you don't like the quests or the scenarios, you aren't going to start liking them as you level up. That leaves RvR, which isn't a lot of content to justify subscribing. But in case you can stand doing the same thing in a game for as long as you are subscribed to it, I'd suggest rerolling on a higher population server. However, I am on a high population server, Averheim, and I don't see much RvR in my Tier (Tier 2, Shadowlands).

The game is designed well, and I feel it's a lot of fun. Even the community is nice. However, I'm not sure how Mythic messed up, but no one seems to RvR much in my Tiers. There is some RvR throughout the day, but somehow I miss it all. I never have trouble queing up for the Phoenix Gate scenario, and I know the Dwarf Tier 2 scenario is active as well.

Not only do I think it's your server, that has a problem, but also you. I don't mean that in a bad way, I mean that you don't like the quests or scenarios for one reason or another, so you shouldn't feel bad for wanting to /cancel your account. Sounds to me you're burnt out on MMORPGs.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• Originally posted by Rytif

Originally posted by Svarcanum

Hi all.

First off, I never really looked forward to WAR. Those of my online friends who played closed beta (yes, they ignored any NDAs) told me it sucked, so I pretty much took their word for it. Having given up on AoC, and not having the energy to carve myself something in Vanguard (and the EU WotLK beta sucking horrendously) I, and close friends, decided to give WAR a go.

Boy, was I surprised! I really liked the game. The PQs and the fact that I could level through PvP:ing especially. In the beginning I tried some solo quests as well, but quickly realized I found them utter rubbish. Way, way too short in my opinion, I spent more time travelling than doing the actual quest. Not my thing. Well, I levelled on, mostly through PvPing and grinding PQs to get that shiny inf-reward. I am now level 18, and I like the game less and less every minute I play it. I'm fed up with the scenario I can play (there are three in T2, I know, but there's only one people queue up for, the Empire one). And I've done most of the PQs. I've tried questing, but I quickly grow tired of that. And when I look at items, be it from quests, reknown och from PQs, I get this "meh" feeling. Sure they're easily obtainable, but I'll replace them so quickly, so I'm not sure it's worth the hassle in the first place (well, my reknown rank is 17, so there's no hassle involved in getting reknown gear).

I simply can't bring myself to being logged in for more than an hour anymore. I do some scenarios, get bored big time. Look for some RvR, not finding any, and can't really organize any either, since the chat channels are sort of useless. I'm getting the feeling you have to be in a big guild to enjoy this game. Mine is composed of RL friends, all living in the same city, some ten people all in all. So we can't really organize anything (we're quite spread out, level-wise). Am I the only feeling like this? Do you have any tips on how to enjoy the game again? Will it get better later on?

You are correct, the game tends to die out close to your level. This when the game's true intentions begins to become a reality, and it's not pretty. Don't listen to Mr. Dillusional that replied earlier, he's just the typical fanboy.

Delusional?  I play on a server with a low population.  Very low.  We are out numbered 2:1 or 3:1.  We had all our keeps taken by an organized former DAOC guild 3 days after release when only about 20 order people server wide were even in T2.

Guess what?  Me and 5 five other people who randomly met doing RvR formed a guild.  We recruited as many people as we could some of those people recruited some more.  Word spread and some people asked for invites because they couldn't get groups for RvR and PQs.  We formed an alliance with some other smaller guilds.  We tried the keeps three times and wiped.  We got it down.  Made Warband of about 30 people we took stormed 2 keeps and had the keep lord of a third down to 3% hp before a massive zerg of 50 or so destruciton wiped us.  We retreated and simulataneously defended both keeps from two massive zergs .  And we won and held both keeps.

I started a thread on this very board criticisizing Mythic for the status of low pop servers and I stand by what i said in that thread.  Low pop servers are severely disadvantaged the game is too boring because it is too hard to organize.  I am optomisitic about my server, but I am under no allusions that other low pop servers past the iniital three months of release may have real problems.

So in short you are a complete fool.

• lapommelapomme Member Posts: 270
    Originally posted by mackdawg19

Please enlighten me as to why being a fanboy might be bad? A fanboy is someone who enjoys the game, sport or subject matter he is using or playing or watching. How is this such a bad thing. Can you not come up with a better diss or have you resorted to using words that sound like a compliment as your arguement. There is nothing wrong with hating or liking WAR. To some it may get boring, to others it may be the best thing since slice bread. But no one is dillusional. Its a matter of opinion. This game is all about population. If your on a low pop server, the chances of you enjoying WAR are slim. But it's not to say you cannot find fun ont hose servers. I actually tend to lean towards low pop servers as it's less competition.

But for this genious above me, learn to diss someone. God forbid you actually can come up with something on your own right? There is nothing wrong with being a fan or a fanboy of a game. There is something wrong with people who think compliments are diss's. Learn to educate yourself my friend.

I'm pretty sure the term "Fanboy" labels somebody who blindly follows a system/game/sport or some kind of hobby for no reason.  For example, if somebody for no reason blindly just "hates" an Xbox 360, then they're a PS3/Wii fanboy.  I've noticed the word being used WAY too much and it's growing big time.  Pretty annoying.  Now if any opposite opinions clash, they call each other fanboys....sigh....

Anyways, I really hate to say this, but am I the only one who had more fun on AoC than WAR?  While Age of Conan was an unfinished piece of garbage, I seem to have enjoyed my 1 month on that (probably because we were building the guild town) MUCH more than my starting month on WAR....I seriously have a hard time making myself play WAR.  Funny thing is, WAR is about 1000x more polished than AoC, but the gameplay is just god awful.

• CammyCammy Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by Svarcanum

Hi all.

I was actually going to absolutely destroy your ignorance, then I read the rest of the posts.... and well, two other fine gentlemen already beat me to it! 

I will say one thing to the OP though (so my post isn't worthless). I rolled on a low pop server with my first toon, leveled him to 8 and although I loved the game and saw the potential I was missing a lot because there was just no scenarios no matter how long I queued... this was frustrating, so a bunch of my RL buddies already rolled on a separate server. Needless to say I decided to join them.

Server pop makes a HUGE difference, because scenarios are the bomb and RvR is the most fun I've had in an MMO for as long as I can remember. It's like the good ole days for me and Ill be definitely keeping my sub after this month. Thing is, you need to have a big server so that you can enjoy the true aspects of this game (IMO). The thing is... the low/med pop servers WILL be high/full within 2-3 weeks. People will be rerolling, trying the other factions, etc (I know a LOT of people who have switched to Order for the fight/challange).  Plus also don't forget its only been out a week, so theres still a ton of people who will be buying this game over the next month, especially when they hear its not just another failed experiement *Cough Vangaurd, AoC, Pirates of the Burning Sea, etc, etc *cough*. Trust me I've played them all and none of them hold a candle to the potential WAR delivers.... and I've barely scratched the surface.

• Originally posted by WesKhan1

I'm pretty sure the term "Fanboy" labels somebody who blindly follows a system/game/sport or some kind of hobby for no reason.  For example, if somebody for no reason blindly just "hates" an Xbox 360, then they're a PS3/Wii fanboy.  I've noticed the word being used WAY too much and it's growing big time.  Pretty annoying.  Now if any opposite opinions clash, they call each other fanboys....sigh....

Anyways, I really hate to say this, but am I the only one who had more fun on AoC than WAR?  While Age of Conan was an unfinished piece of garbage, I seem to have enjoyed my 1 month on that (probably because we were building the guild town) MUCH more than my starting month on WAR....I seriously have a hard time making myself play WAR.  Funny thing is, WAR is about 1000x more polished than AoC, but the gameplay is just god awful.

Some aspects of the gameplay are clunky.  The morale buttons piss me off.  And there can be some kind of wierd lag during CDs or something.

But all in all it is pretty good in many other aspects.  And for many people the rest of what you mentioned balances it out.  For you it doesn't it seems like that is the case, but that seems to be fairly rare.

Actually I have talked to a number of people who do not like AoCs gameplay either way.  And IMO DDO has better combat mechanics than AoC anyway, the combo and blocking system of AoC is not actually all that great.  Of course DDO has other problems.  Not that WAR's combat system is any better than AOC i just do not see AoC actually anything all that great or revolutionary and in fact think there are 2 or 3 much older games that have more revolutionary combat.

So meh to each thier own.

• CammyCammy Member Posts: 864
    Originally posted by WesKhan1

I sincerely disagree but to each their own. I can see why you feel that way (especially if you loved AoC Combat system) but that said... this game just "sticks" much more for me.

Again, to each their own

• lapommelapomme Member Posts: 270

I think everyone misread what I said.  I didn't enjoy the gameplay of Age of Conan except for the city building.  While the fighting system was fresh and pretty cool, the game was still boring.  What I was saying was that I somehow still enjoyed my first and only month on AoC more than the month I'm having on WAR.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Fanboy actually has no definition. Gamers have resorted to using it to bash people for enjoying a game. If you were to look up the definition of a fan(since fanboy has no definition and we know what a boy is), its someone who enjoys a certain subject matter. It's also 15 other definitions, none the resemble what you just stated. I love how gamers have been taking words and using them for whatever they see fit. I guess I could go around calling people apples because it sounds cool. But in honesty, would it make sense? The thing here is apple has a definition, fanboy doesn't. Maybe I should resort to using ebonics just to make myself look better, eh? Wait a minute, is'nt ebonics a dumbed down version of the english language. It's whats referred to as Black English or ghetto talk. I'm not trying to sit here and preach proper english, but if your going to diss someone because they like a game you hate. Is there not something better you could come up with, or is this all you  can resort to? I would hope people are not trying to show thier true colors of how uneducated they are. Even an editor on this site used the word just for the sake of poking fun of it. Just sad is all I can say, just sad.

So I say to you people who love using the word fanboy, come up with something else. If the basis of your whole arguement is to go around using the word fanboy, then it's probably better off if you stay in school. If you can muster up the confidence to use another word, then you get bonus points for actually trying to use that thing we call a brain.

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425

Well, being the OP I'll stick to my post and subject. I am, as it happens, on a high pop server (well destro side is high anyway, Order never is). And I have been to a number of keep sieges. I did enjoy them immensely, but the fact that you know you're waging a futile war (since destro outnumbers you and will take the keep as soon as you leave it) sort of takes some of the fun out of it.

I guess my best bet is to start making, at first, personal alliances, so I can get more RvR action. I still enjoy the scenarios, but to me it's exactly the same as the WoW BG grind, and I've done that for way too long already. That said, I'm not really burned out on them, it's just they feel a little, well, boxed in, for obvious reasons.

I guess what I'm missing is the community. Almost everyone I meet on my server is mature and nice, so it's not that. It's just that it's hard to coordinate things, or get groups or warbands together, as long as you're not PQing.

I'll stick with it some more, and try to make some allies. Hopefully this'll make it better. But I have to say, I fear I might quit WAR sooner than I thought I'd do during my first week of playing.

Brunhilde

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

Yes, coordinating outside of a guild is hard to do, since no one really uses the area chat. This happened in DAoC too, and what Mythic did to fix this is to start everyone in a starter guild that you could leave at anytime. Some people stayed in that starter guild, while others left it immediately. I'm not sure what the community would do with a General Chat channel, considering that no one uses the area chat, which is pretty much a chat channel itself. I guess the reason why people don't use the channel, is: 1) They are mature enough not to abuse it, spamming it with trash; 2) There is no need to LFG, since Open Groups are used a lot; 3) You can solo everything pretty much, or you can solo alongside other people completing the same objective as you.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

fanboy or "fanboi" as i know it came from idiots who loved and defended a game to yet come out, most recent acts of fanboism came out of darkfall and to some extent warhammer and AoC pre beta.

Now fanboi is more or less used by people who hate a given game, to insult the community of players who do like the game. Its a kind of mentality that leads people to think "im telling you why the game sucks and you still like it...your a fanboy"

I prefer the first definition, as its pretty silly to absolutly love a game that no one has tried, while liking a game that others dont like is, well a personal choice.

To the OP, its kind of the opposite for me, i found the first few levels a bit dull and around level 15, for me, the game really started to take off.

Mabey my server is more populated than yours, or just has a better selection of social and RvR happy people.  I find myself never really noticing how long it takes for me to actually join a scenario, as im more than happy doing the PVE (which im really starting to get into) or the PQ's.

So far ive noticed that some PQ are kind of too hard for what they are worth, and others are pretty easy, i find that on the easyer ones that more people are more likely to jump in.  In every map ive been on in the empire world, ive been able to find at least one PQ with a population working on it, same with open fiel RvR.

My guess is that your either on a race map where people have moved to a diffrent race map to RvR or that your server is junk. 

My suggestion (since im sure you have some time before your month is up) is to fly to the dwarf or elf map, perhaps more action is there.  My next sugestion is....CHOOSE A DECENTLY POPULATED SERVER

choosing a low pop server is an instant fail unless you love the PVE.

also i suggest trying the /1 <text> chat function (is /2 for tier 2? have yet to try it) to talk to the map as a whole, find some friends in game and add them to your RL frinds guild, never hurt to make some more friends, even if they are just game friends.