Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Jacobs on the IP, Marketing and EA

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

MMORPG.com Managing Editor Jon Wood had the opportunity to speak with Mythic Entertainment boss Mark Jacobs about the Warhammer IP, Marketing and EA.

Today, we continue with Part Two of my interview with Mythic Entertainment VP and GM Mark Jacobs. In this part of the article, we focus in on working with the Warhammer IP, Mythic Entertainment’s relationship with EA and more!

When I first asked Jacobs about Mythic’s lack of experience handling a major IP like Warhammer Online, I was reminded that this isn’t Mythic’s first kick at the IP can. I was quickly reminded that while it’s the first time that they have applied it to a massive scale MMORPG, Mythic has worked with titles like Aliens, Godzilla and Starship Toppers and others in the past and that they do have experience with IPs.

Read the article here.

Comments

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

I'm proud to say that I am and have never been a naysayer of EA or Mythic. I never had a problem with EA's decisions nor Mythics. I'm glad things ended up going good for both companies.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Before Mythic starts on anything new. Even in WAR.

I would like them to patch in Knight of the Blazing Sun and The Hammerer on Order side to bring the factions back in balance (and ofcourse you will have to patch in the cut Destro classes too).

Then after that the 4 Capital Cities that were cut.

When that's done. Then we can talk about new content ;)

• m3tam3ta Member Posts: 59

"Starship Toppers"? lol

• whoeuwhoeu Member Posts: 4

How they can talk about good marketing, when Mythic dont interested about their domain. It's easy to check that blizzard has all good domain names (diablo, starcraft , worldofwarcraft with all extension .com, .eu, .de). Mythic wasn't owner of the war-europe.com (wow-europe.com - blizzard), becouse the owner is GOA (company partner, but in critical situation they can stop work together (so what with domain name in that situation). The same on warhammeronline.eu (not Mythic/EA, even GOA owner), when worldofwarcraft.eu is blizzards.

So, what i whant to say is that Mythic dont't have (yet) harmonius team to entry on high level marketing like TV, while they dont focus on common marketings business (like example domain names).

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

What I find disturbing is Mythic's complete inability to articulate what customers can expect from WAR next. I know that specifics aren't going to be given, but Mark and the rest seem very vague about just what the priorities are. This is hauntingly like the "well, the boxes are shipped, now we can relax" attitude that I've seen in other releases.

But then again, Mythic doesn't really like to tell their customers anything but what a good job they've done and how much they know what they're doing. We'll see how long EA accepts this.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Originally posted by LordDraekon

What I find disturbing is Mythic's complete inability to articulate what customers can expect from WAR next. I know that specifics aren't going to be given, but Mark and the rest seem very vague about just what the priorities are. This is hauntingly like the "well, the boxes are shipped, now we can relax" attitude that I've seen in other releases.
    But then again, Mythic doesn't really like to tell their customers anything but what a good job they've done and how much they know what they're doing. We'll see how long EA accepts this.

I know you're interested in what comes next, I ahve to admit that I am too, but they need some downtime too. Launching a major project like this is EXTREMELY taxing. My guess is they're taking a little time away before hitting it again full force.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• TambourineTambourine Member UncommonPosts: 181

What? Mythic doesn't like to tell their customers anything? You are whack dude, because the truth is in the completely other direction.

Originally posted by Tambourine

What? Mythic doesn't like to tell their customers anything? You are whack dude, because the truth is in the completely other direction.

Thank you ever so much for pointing out my error. Could you please point me to where the Patch Notes are listed? How about the Technical forums, since you're so knowledgeable? I'd also be interested in finding where Known Issues with the game client can be found.

Dark Age of Camelot was my first MMO and finding information about what the developers were working on was like a scavenger hunt. I've become accustomed to a higher level of customer service from a product I've paid for. Apparently, you're content with less, "dude".

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by Stradden

I know you're interested in what comes next, I ahve to admit that I am too, but they need some downtime too. Launching a major project like this is EXTREMELY taxing. My guess is they're taking a little time away before hitting it again full force.

all that posting and hooking up technical support help and everything on their official forums must be pretty taxing.

oh wait.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

are you intentionally lying, or just naive?

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Sorry tho. But Mark and James were indeed very vocal and forthcoming in Beta all the way up till release.

Since the game released last week it's all dead silent!

Some Community Managers are answering only the more straighforward standard issues like Key issues, box delivery issues, account issues.

But at the moment there are some serious and pressing issues people are posting at Warhammeralliance.com and those are all ignored all week long already!

No word from Mythic whatsoever!

- What is Mythic going to do with the population imbalance? We all knew Destruction was going to be overpopulated from day one! We saw it in beta, preview weekends and now it shows after launch!

- What is Mythic going to do about Scenario Queue'ing issues!

- What is Mythic going to do about the FPS, choppy gameplay issues many people (even with high end rigs) are experiencing!

- What is Mythic going to do about City Rank system that seem to be locked!

- What is Mythic going to do about the horrible and completely useless chat system!

- What is Mythic going to do about the still frequently happening Server Disconnects and Client To Desktop crashes! (as they arent so minor as Mythic wanting us to believe)

- What is Mythic going to do about the frequent Character Stuck in Combat / Spell locking issues!

And I can go on and on.

--------

Don't get me wrong. I like WAR a lot. It's far more polished then AoC ever was. But there are still plenty of issues that needs to be adressed ASAP.

Sure some devs will need a breather, but the period directly after launch is what matters! They cannot afford to keep silent now!

Cheers

Thank you ever so much for pointing out my error. Could you please point me to where the Patch Notes are listed? How about the Technical forums, since you're so knowledgeable? I'd also be interested in finding where Known Issues with the game client can be found.

Dark Age of Camelot was my first MMO and finding information about what the developers were working on was like a scavenger hunt. I've become accustomed to a higher level of customer service from a product I've paid for. Apparently, you're content with less, "dude".

My first MMORPG was DAoC, starting in 2001 as well. I have a completely different opinion than you. Mythic always released what they were doing on their Herald, when it would go on the test center, and finally when we could expect it to go live. I'm surprised you missed all that information.

Originally posted by Guillermo197

Sorry tho. But Mark and James were indeed very vocal and forthcoming in Beta all the way up till release.

Some Community Managers are answering only the more straighforward standard issues like Key issues, box delivery issues, account issues.

But at the moment there are some serious and pressing issues people are posting at Warhammeralliance.com and those are all ignored all week long already!

- What is Mythic going to do with the population imbalance? We all knew Destruction was going to be overpopulated from day one! We saw it in beta, preview weekends and now it shows after launch!

- What is Mythic going to do about the FPS, choppy gameplay issues many people (even with high end rigs) are experiencing!

- What is Mythic going to do about the horrible and completely useless chat system!

- What is Mythic going to do about the still frequently happening Server Disconnects and Client To Desktop crashes! (as they arent so minor as Mythic wanting us to believe)

- What is Mythic going to do about the frequent Character Stuck in Combat / Spell locking issues!

And I can go on and on.

--------

Don't get me wrong. I like WAR a lot. It's far more polished then AoC ever was. But there are still plenty of issues that needs to be adressed ASAP.

Sure some devs will need a breather, but the period directly after launch is what matters! They cannot afford to keep silent now!

Cheers

Who needs forums where people will complain and whine together, which magnifies things that aren't so much of a problem? Mythic has phone support, which most MMORPG companies don't have. This means you get immediate results. I've started threads with problems in mind on Blizzards forums and Funcoms forums and never received a word back. My faith in technical support forums are gone, and I prefer phone support which Mythic has. If your problem is bad enough to come on here and bitch, why haven't you called them to have it resolved.

I play on Averheim and I'm on the Order side. I don't see Dest. as outnumbering us and if they do, it hasn't had an effect. Mythic also has a way to send in your problems through Feedback, which is much more constructive then a bitch session on a forum. In DAoC, they use your Feedback, categorize it by its content, and they send it off to the proper developer in charge of the issue, so they can fix it. Mythic is a great company, whom I've been with for 7 years now. You've no idea how wrong you are right now.

• LiquidWolfLiquidWolf Member CommonPosts: 516

And I can go on and on.

--------

Cheers

Hey while I completely understand you would like to go on and on, I wanted to give you a little help with one of your questions.

Though I understand I am not from mythic, I wanted to provide you with this opportunity to accept the information I am about to give you.

http://www.tillberg.us/warpop

This lovely individual/group has taken the current server populations, based off of guilded players on all servers, and compiled it for us.

At this point in time, a large number of servers are actually quite balanced. A few are horribly inbalanced... but nothing too bad. 1:1.7 is still adequate in my opinion. Allows Order to get in faster, and fits well with the Lore.

Now... I know it only includes guilded players... but to be honest it was the guilded Scenario/RvR groups I was worried about anyways. Unguilded, unorganized enemies are really not that much of a threat.

Now, as I said... It doesn't come from Mythic's site, it comes from someone who compiled data from Mythic's site.  Oh!  have you seen the server cloning they were doing? The announcement on the front windows? You know what i'm talking about right? The information window before you enter into the game.

Yeah, Server cloning. I like that step... good thing to get on right away... if you expect population inbalances.

What about the other stuff? Well no clue, but the fact that you want information NOW really doesn't show me you have good character. The game has only been out 6 days, and already they have been bringing down servers to fix minor problems. The fix for rezzing where you died was good, had a horrid time with destruction players doing that in scenarios.

They are on top of things, and all you need is a little patience. How about a month? You know, that free one you get? Hell, i'd give them two because it is still doing very well on my system. That is, of course, your choice.

I hope you can accept this... for your sake. 

• CendhariaCendharia Member UncommonPosts: 319

Before Mythic starts on anything new. Even in WAR.
    I would like them to patch in Knight of the Blazing Sun and The Hammerer on Order side to bring the factions back in balance (and ofcourse you will have to patch in the cut Destro classes too).
    Then after that the 4 Capital Cities that were cut.
    When that's done. Then we can talk about new content ;)

That wish may come true in the next few months..evidently Mr Jacobs was interviewed about that very thing the 4 cut classes, ...correct me if I am wrong think it was Ten Ton Hammer.

So that will make quite a few people happy...in the long run. :)

Cend

Patch notes, news are on the launcher after you put your name and password in...if there is no news there, then there hasn't been any news.   Personally I check there briefly if nothing new I go ahead and play.   Can also check the Warhammer Alliance forums...the Devs check in there..and post from time to time.

Technical forums if you check the Warhammer site itself under Customer support..there's EVEN A PHONE NUMBER TO CALL.    :P

A little reading..a little surfing and its at your fingertips.....for those that put out a tiny bit of effort.

As for official forums,  Mr Jacobs has already stated..there won't be any.....I keep up with the news,  anything Mythic staff states is pretty much there for answering your overall questions.    Again a little reading a little surfing..voila you are as on top of the news as anyone else.

Cend

Originally posted by damian7

Originally posted by Stradden

all that posting and hooking up technical support help and everything on their official forums must be pretty taxing.

oh wait.

Click the Customer Support button on the main Warhammer site........

Cend

And I can go on and on.

--------

Cheers

Anyone ever come to the conclusion that they have been working their tails off to get this game out..and a little silence might mean they've taken time to reaquaint themselves with their families again?     They are not automatons...I am sure  things will be addressed,   I am sure that main stickied thread with player suggestions over at WarHammer Alliance is being reviewed.

Every time we go down for maintenance in the early morning hours, there is a small patch...small fixes I am presuming..to the overall performance.    I have faith that the Mythic team will stay on top of things,  I witnessed their efficiency at fixing things that weren't quite working as intended during closed beta,  must say they are very impressive.   Very on target, and very focussed.

We'll hear about it when its time.   Its been a WEEK since launch......

Cend

Originally posted by Cendharia

And I can go on and on.

--------

Cheers

Anyone ever come to the conclusion that they have been working their tails off to get this game out..and a little silence might mean they've taken time to reaquaint themselves with their families again?     They are not automatons...I am sure  things will be addressed,   I am sure that main stickied thread with player suggestions over at WarHammer Alliance is being reviewed.

Every time we go down for maintenance in the early morning hours, there is a small patch...small fixes I am presuming..to the overall performance.    I have faith that the Mythic team will stay on top of things,  I witnessed their efficiency at fixing things that weren't quite working as intended during closed beta,  must say they are very impressive.   Very on target, and very focussed.

We'll hear about it when its time.   Its been a WEEK since launch......

Cend

Just a moment there, friend. Didn't you have official forums to consult during Closed beta? As far as downtime and this "reconnecting" you're suggesting, may I interject this. The launching of a new venture is the precisely wrong time to step away as there are a myriad of new problems that need addressing. If this is Mythic's excuse for inattentiveness, it is merely that, an excuse and you are an enabler. There is an old adage that says, "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen."  If Mythic can't handle dealing with the people who paid good money for their game, perhaps they are in the wrong field.