Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Performance issues with WAR.

So yeah, after looking at the system requirements for this game, I thought my PC would be able to run it at least on medium settings well enough, turns out that's not the case. I get low fps pretty much all the time at balanced settings on 1440x900. I only made animation high quality. If I'm in a capital citry forget it, game runs like a slide show and the same for any crowded area. Weird thing is, the game doesn't even look all that great, from a technical standpoint(I like the art style).

Games like EQ2, Lineage II, LOTRO, all looked far better(if artistically not as interesting), and yet I never have FPS issues on those games, even on high settings. WoW is also far from the best looking game out there, but at least it runs like a dream and the art work makes everything look nice and creative, if blocky. This strikes me as odd since I thought they needed the game to run well, because they want that whole large scale battle thing. Now my PC is admittedly old and not cutting edge, but it runs the games I mentioned well enough. Here are my specs again:

Nvidia GeForce 7800GTX 256MB

Pentium 4 3.4GHZ

2GB of RAM

Windows XP SP3

I checked System Requirements Lab and I pass it with flying colors and get similar reults that I do with Tabula Rasa, which also performs very well on my machine. Speaking of that site though, one thing I noticed was that for my Processor, it gives me some weird statistics. It says I have two CPUs running, and that I'm running at "3.40 GHz Performance Rated at 5.10 GHz". WTF?

Anyways, help me make this game playable, because I really do like it so far.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
WoW: 70 NE Rogue(Akama)
FFXI: 75DRK/37WAR/18SAM/12THF(Fenrir)
Currently playing: Warhammer Online(or at least trying to).

Comments

• CarpeNoctumXCarpeNoctumX Member Posts: 33

Bump?

• AstralGethAstralGeth Member Posts: 197

There are people that are having unplayable conditions on top of the line hardware and then there are mid-low range rigs that can play it just fine. No one has been able to pin it down yet, but there are a ton of threads on the warhammeralliance.com support forums, you can try to see if your symptoms match someone else's.

www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/forumdisplay.php

• DantielDantiel Member Posts: 14

I have a 6800nVidia, 2GB RAM, XP sp3, 3.8ghz P4 (3.5 yrs old) and this game is rough on my machine. Lowest settings at 1024 * 768 is the best I can do. On the other hand, my brother has a new gaming rig, and the game looks totally different and detailed. I'm just going to get a new rig myself.

• OrionManOrionMan Member Posts: 423
    Originally posted by CarpeNoctumX

So yeah, after looking at the system requirements for this game, I thought my PC would be able to run it at least on medium settings well enough, turns out that's not the case. I get low fps pretty much all the time at balanced settings on 1440x900. I only made animation high quality. If I'm in a capital citry forget it, game runs like a slide show and the same for any crowded area. Weird thing is, the game doesn't even look all that great, from a technical standpoint(I like the art style).

Games like EQ2, Lineage II, LOTRO, all looked far better(if artistically not as interesting), and yet I never have FPS issues on those games, even on high settings. WoW is also far from the best looking game out there, but at least it runs like a dream and the art work makes everything look nice and creative, if blocky. This strikes me as odd since I thought they needed the game to run well, because they want that whole large scale battle thing. Now my PC is admittedly old and not cutting edge, but it runs the games I mentioned well enough. Here are my specs again:
    Nvidia GeForce 7800GTX 256MB

Pentium 4 3.4GHZ

2GB of RAM

Windows XP SP3
    I checked System Requirements Lab and I pass it with flying colors and get similar reults that I do with Tabula Rasa, which also performs very well on my machine. Speaking of that site though, one thing I noticed was that for my Processor, it gives me some weird statistics. It says I have two CPUs running, and that I'm running at "3.40 GHz Performance Rated at 5.10 GHz". WTF?
    Anyways, help me make this game playable, because I really do like it so far.

This PC should run the shit out of the WAR code... You would even run AoC on medium or highish setting with this Rig. In other word there is something very wrong or bugged when you need latest and greatest to run last decades graphics (namely WAR).

• Matt_UKMatt_UK Member Posts: 420

Hmm i wish i'd read these forums before buying.

Originally posted by Matt_UK

I did, I checked a few forums actually, and all signs pointed me to the fact hat I would indeed be able to run the game just fine. This isn't Crysis, and there is no reason why a game that looks like this, stutters on my machine when I can run much better looking games no problem. Something might be wrong with my machine, I dunno, because when I checked www.systemrequirementslab.com, I almost max out  the bar, but it says I have two CPUs running(P4 3.4GHZ) at 5.10GHZ....WTF? Might be a problem at with the site but I would really just love to play this game, so I'l try anything. All my drivers are up to date too, by the way.

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

I will tell you as a Elder beta tester the game has had the same issues from very early beta. Us older testers got dropped all the time and had DLL and other issues ( i have  a high-end rig) and others with medium to low-end rigs. The worst of it came when they added the freaking piece of shit malware PunkBuster. PB has been known for years to cause all sorts of issues with FPS games and it never works anyhow.

We pissed and moaned about this being added to the core element of the game amongst other things and it didn't matter what us testers thought. Not to mention that we had no say in the class cuts either. That just happened and we were told to deal with it. This was not the beta communities idea for any of this garbage. I had tremendously high hopes for the game considering DAOC was one of my longest running games next to EQ.

Jacobs is one cocky bastard as well and I have lost all respect for him (the little that I actually did have). They had to rush the game out and cut massive corners because they did not want to delay the game again. Bad freaking move and now subscribers are paying for it. I am so disappointed as I once again have no MMO to play and I actually think I am about done with them anyhow. 16 years of the same old grind is enough.....

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• OrionManOrionMan Member Posts: 423

I did, I checked a few forums actually, and all signs pointed me to the fact hat I would indeed be able to run the game just fine. This isn't Crysis, and there is no reason why a game that looks like this, stutters on my machine when I can run much better looking games no problem. Something might be wrong with my machine, I dunno, because when I checked www.systemrequirementslab.com, I almost max out  the bar, but it says I have two CPUs running(P4 3.4GHZ) at 5.10GHZ....WTF? Might be a problem at with the site but I would really just love to play this game, so I'l try anything. All my drivers are up to date too, by the way.

WAR has massive FPS problems as AoC had in the beginning. The funny thing is that WAR is getting that with graphics that are a bit subpar. It could indicate that the game was a bit rushed (even though 75% of the content was cut over the last year) to get it out before WoWLK.... Let me know if you wanna have AoC buddykey (have one left) cause your Rig will even run a beast such as AoC very well.

• Brone87Brone87 Member Posts: 244

I have a Q6600, 4gbs of Ram, 512mb 8800 gts and this game stutters like a severly retarded child. This boggles my mind because I can run AoC on high with 0 stuttering while running through the world solo. In this game its a different story... I run through the woods solo and Im locking up for 2 seconds at a time every 10 or so seconds. Also I just reformated my system fresh and installed from the disc so its not my PC.

Originally posted by OrionMan

WAR has massive FPS problems as AoC had in the beginning. The funny thing is that WAR is getting that with graphics that are a bit subpar. It could indicate that the game was a bit rushed (even though 75% of the content was cut over the last year) to get it out before WoWLK.... Let me know if you wanna have AoC buddykey (have one left) cause your Rig will even run a beast such as AoC very well.

Oh I'd love to try AoC, that games looks great and the only reason i stayed away from it is because  I thought you needed a super computer to play it on anything above the lowest settings. I'm definitely interested if you were serious about the offer.

But with the problem at hand, I'm about to log in and try a few things to see if I can find what's causing the problem.

So yeah, after reading some more it really does seem like it's a problem with the game and not really my PC. Oh well, it's not much fun at it's current state, so I guess I'll need to wait until they fix this.

• IxnatifualIxnatifual Member Posts: 475

Game was running fine for me through open beta, early access and a while more, but a few days ago my FPS began to drop to a crawl when the area near me got crowded - something that had never troubled me before. Turns out that they recently hard-locked the anisotropic filtering settings to 16 times for whatever reason, which results in a massive performance hit when there's a lot of textures to render (ie. when there's more players near you). As there's not yet an in-game UI element for setting the anisotropic filtering, I turned it off in my NVIDIA control pannel and overrided the application settings that way. RvR combat went from me having trouble even moving my character due to low FPS to running smoothly in mass RvR conflict. Try it out - better than waiting for the fix.

• NewhopesNewhopes Member Posts: 458

I think theres a memory leak some where in wars progaming, normaly it plays fine on my pc then suddenly the game become ultra laggy until I log.

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891

I have a computer similiar to the OP's except its a Pentium D with an 8600 I run the game on Highest Quality with 1600 x 1200 (i turn it down to fastest when in the RvR lake) and other than the occasional minor hitch caused by server lag Ive not had any of thes eproblems.   It seems to be completely random who gets hit hard by these bugs and its related to an ancient memory leak for the most part.  Make sure your drivers and DX9 version are fairly up to date.

And just because you have a fancy P4 etc with 2 gigs of ram if your mother board sucks monkey ass and its FSB is lower than 800MB then thats a nice big huge bottleneck that would cause some of these problems.

Punk Buster only runs during login the elder beta tester bitching obviosuly forgot to mention this so it has nothing to do with any ingame issues.

BTW Not all Elder Beta testers feel the same way that he does.

Also if you are running the patched over OB client I suggest a full unisntall then reinstall from the disk.  There's a noticable performance increase when you do this.

• cvettecvette Member UncommonPosts: 82

Quick question, When i want to adjust the ingame video settings, 1440x900 doesn't even show up.

Any ideas. Currently im playing 1680x1050.

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891
    Originally posted by cvette

Quick question, When i want to adjust the ingame video settings, 1440x900 doesn't even show up.
    Any ideas. Currently im playing 1680x1050.

If its not showing up then its not a supported resolution by either the video card, the game, or the monitor.  If its not supported by any one of these it won't show up and yo ucan't force it too.

•  You know, I myself have never seen or heard of a game that did not have issues at launch. Something is wrong. Does not matter what it is, but it's something. WOW had it. Star Wars Galaxies had it. And the list goes on and on. If you are an avid or "hard core" MMO gamer you know this. So my only question is... Why are people complaining? Would it not be far better to get as much information as possible to the DEV's so they can actually find and fix the problem sooner? (Just for you WOW people before you go pointing your flamethrower at me: I was a WOW alpha tester. I prolly have more 70's than you do. All I do is game. And yes, wow had major lag problems when it launched for months. And I remember seeing the same things on those forums when it first launched also. So please do not tell people how WOW never had this problem)

I myself had these specs

Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_ldr.070828-1515)

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz

Nvita GeForce 8800 650MB ram

3GB of ram

Even with this machine I was gettin a small "lag spike". But I did some asking around, checked forums, and even let Mythic know of the problem. And I found an answer.  RAM! So I upgraded to 6GB of ram and now the game runs smooth. Sure it should run smooth on less. But if you have been around awhile you will notice that each time a new game comes out it requires more than the one before. It is a simple fact. And it will continue to be that way.

I'm not complainging, I'm asking for a solution, but it's becoming more and more obvious there is no solution until Mythic decides to find one. Oh, and just in case it matters, I installed the retail version of the game from the discs, not the beta client.

• Brone87Brone87 Member Posts: 244

Wow, I cannot believe your justifying needing 6 gigs of ram because this game is new. Incase you haven't noticed this game is not graphically impressive. Yes its graphics are "good" however, compared to games like AoC and Crysis it doesn't even come close.

Also incase you dont realize, unless you have a 64 bit operating system your never going to be able to utilize that ram.

• pandaconpandacon Member Posts: 14

The only problems have have is that it takes a long time to exit the game, and sometimes the game won't exit out all the way. I also notice that the game will stall for a second every now and then.

My brother has a lower end system than me and just got a radeon 4670 (or something like that) for the game and he says it lags so much the game is unplayable. His system should be fine to run the game.

I hope they fix these issues soon.

• JT1228JT1228 Member Posts: 23

I'm playing on a P4 3.0 1.5gig ram and a 512mb 7600 nvidia and I have no problems on balanced setting, but I lower it to framerate for rvr, still without any trouble.

• IxnatifualIxnatifual Member Posts: 475

I'm not complainging, I'm asking for a solution, but it's becoming more and more obvious there is no solution until Mythic decides to find one. Oh, and just in case it matters, I installed the retail version of the game from the discs, not the beta client.

It's really odd that reducing the anisotropic filtering didn't work for you. You're the first I've ever seen this not working for. Perhaps you forgot to make sure it overrided the application settings? 16 times anisotropic filtering should bring most systems to their knees in crowded areas, so I'm extremely surprised turning it off yielded no noticable performance boost.

I never tried this. How do I turn this off?

• SteelguruSteelguru Member Posts: 118

ROFL give me a break.   I played AoC right from the gate.   I happened to check their Technical support boards when WAR was patching last night, and their 5k latency spike issue is continuing with not even a sniff of a comment by Funcom.

In my WAR guild, most of which also played AoC with me, the only issue we've run into is occasional CTD's from alt-tabbing out.

I've had over 300 players on my screen RvR with almost no lag in WAR (and the little I had I suspect was due to my mediocre PC), where the latency spikes were so bad in AoC, we couldn't even handle a raid or a Keep assault.

I am not surprised you still have a buddy key left for that piece of crap game.   Who in their right mind, would give a dime to Funcom?   Get going bud.

• TekkamanTekkaman Member UncommonPosts: 158

This PC should run the shit out of the WAR code... You would even run AoC on medium or highish setting with this Rig.

No, not on High'ish settings hehehe. Barely on Medium honestly. I've seen many mid-range at the time rigs and low-end rigs and medium was very hard especially at that resolution. Age of Conan requires pretty much an 8800GT or higher to hit medium to high settings at that resolution with candy or even without.

Good luck fixing your performance though. Of the four computers I've built that have WAR players behind them none have had any problems so far.