Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what is Pre-CU

SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

i hear it all the time.

SWG was awsome pre-cu....

what happend? whatd did they change?

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

Comments

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

I dare say that a thread with this name comes up once every four months here.

There are at least half a dozen similar threads back a few pages.

In essence, preCU was SWG as it was originally published, in June 2003.  In April 2005, the CU ("Combat Upgrade") revised SWG, imposing levels, radically altering some professions, and in general ditching a lot of the original design features. Six months later, the NGE "New Game Enhancements" was published which turned SWG into the steaming pile of bantha poodoo it is today.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

@ver: thanks il start reding that asap

@sio: bah once evey 4 months is not that bad compred to allot of topics apearing every day :)

• iwantmyswgiwantmyswg Member Posts: 301

the pre-cu was the greatest system ever made

you had 32+ professions to pick and match from

i myself before getting jedi was a tka/fencer a great pvp template that was very well balanced for pvp and pve even tho pve is lame.

you also had a great jedi system after pub 9.

the pre-cu was the dream of every mmo player and it was stolen from us to make star wars fanbois and fanbots happy. oh wait only under 5k of them play the nge now. i guess we should go back to the pre-cu.

• PapaLazarouPapaLazarou Member Posts: 502

Pre CU was a very buggy and broken system that caused lots of players to constantly moan on the forums and SWG kept losing subs because of this so they felt the need to change the combat system twice with the CU and NGE to try and fix this but they failed and made the game worse.

On paper pre cu was great but under SOE/LA development it was shit.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

That letter made me sad and angry : (

It reminds me how fun a MMO can be.

• pdxgeekpdxgeek Member Posts: 585
    Originally posted by PapaLazarou

Pre CU was a very buggy and broken system that caused lots of players to constantly moan on the forums and SWG kept losing subs because of this so they felt the need to change the combat system twice with the CU and NGE to try and fix this but they failed and made the game worse.

Spoken like the NGE target audience...

Pre-CU had problems but it remains the single best mmorpg experience I've ever had. I've played just about every mmorpg on the market and none of them have come close to the pre-CU swg game.

• EbenEmaelEbenEmael Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by PapaLazarou

SOE tried to fix nothing. The CU/NGE was their response to WoW. The changes were done to attract more players. Yes, pre-CU was bugged and parts were broken but it was still a popular game. As far as people moaning on the forums, the game could have been perfect but some people would still complain. Thats the way of the web...

yeah. SOE like to backstab there vets...

• BadmortaginBadmortagin Member Posts: 25

I played Since Beta. Pre-CU was the best way for the game to be played. I know not everyone will agree with this. But the character building was what I enjoyed most. It was taken away during NGE. I played 100% crafting. I made it to master armorsmith and had a good business going. Then they changed crafting completly. They changed how it was made and what it took to make an item. This was the last straw for me as a crafter. I had to start from scratch for resources. Now the game is nothing better than a console game. Again, some will dissagree. To each his own. If you like SWG now over before. That is great. But for some we waisted alot of time and most feel betrayed by SOE for it.

EQ - Tergan - Retired
    EQ2 - Badmortagin - Retired
    SWG - Badmortagin - Retired
    AO - Badmortagin - Retired

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

All server PRE CU were packed with players happy to experience what the game had to offer. 20 to 30 times the population is now.

That was much. 32 Professions  you could take on, mix and drop. Awsome crafting  system and player driven economy.  It was a social heaven of MMO allowing and supporting social interaction.  It was the golden age of  Star Wars and maybe of MMO is general,. Then the CU and NGE patch destroyed all that, to generate another WoW clone and failed.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• EbenEmaelEbenEmael Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

All server PRE CU were packed with players happy to experience what the game had to offer. 20 to 30 times the population is now.
    That was much. 32 Professions  you could take on, mix and drop. Awsome crafting  system and player driven economy.  It was a social heaven of MMO allowing and supporting social interaction.  It was the golden age of  Star Wars and maybe of MMO is general,. Then the CU and NGE patch destroyed all that, to generate another WoW clone and failed.

3 years later and SOE and some of the SWG fanbois are still in denial.

• BadmortaginBadmortagin Member Posts: 25

I know that most will not agree with this statement. But SWG in alot of ways was the most inovative game of the MMORPG genre. Player houseing, player cities, crafting system, mining and factories. All were very inovative at the time. To bad they destroyed it.

EQ - Tergan - Retired
    EQ2 - Badmortagin - Retired
    SWG - Badmortagin - Retired
    AO - Badmortagin - Retired

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Originally posted by SioBabble

I dare say that a thread with this name comes up once every four months here.
    There are at least half a dozen similar threads back a few pages.
    In essence, preCU was SWG as it was originally published, in June 2003.  In April 2005, the CU ("Combat Upgrade") revised SWG, imposing levels, radically altering some professions, and in general ditching a lot of the original design features. Six months later, the NGE "New Game Enhancements" was published which turned SWG into the steaming pile of bantha poodoo it is today.

I left in May of 2005, couldn't even walk out of my house. Kept getting killed by animals ten levels lower than me, it was absurd. The CU was just awful. I'm so glad I left before the NGE.

Pre CU was definately one of the best MMO's ever made.

bah. i would love to see what pre-cu was like :(

everyone speaks so highly of it

• Lunchbox76Lunchbox76 Member Posts: 294

Dont worry it will be back but not by soe. I cant give you anymore info then that. Dont want to get banned and all that.

Playing Fallen Earth.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

just google "pre-cu SWG"

your path begins there....

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931
    Originally posted by SgtFrog

Pre-cu through the eyes of a fellow veteran player:

The game was just out of beta and 40 of my guild started playing. I was one of my group’s “Planet Side” testers/players, having beta tested it. We are 200 strong spread out now over 8-10 different games.

I would tune in the SWG channel on TS and listen, it was amazing to here the accounts of things across the galaxy as seen through the eyes of noobs. Everyone was a noob. I had to be a part of this.

I got the game and away I went. There were people everywhere. Cantinas were jammed, star ports as well. People running across Dath, no speeders yet. Fighting rancors and nightsisters. Squills and Tuskin Raiders were things to avoid on our home planet. The Corellian plains and the swamps of Talus, filled with big cats and their babies was a great place for the CH, but a dangerous one as well.

The crafting was amazing as well, folks dedicated themselves to mining, harvesting or buying the best resources, looting or buying skill tapes, and the items they made were top shelf. We knew who they were and we haggled for the best price. Weapons, armor, BE clothing, foods, drinks, etc…

The fighting classes would hire out to protect crafters as they tended their harvesters, or just paid us to bring home the best meat or bone, when ever it would be located that month at various places across the galaxy.

The player cites became sophisticated and well thought out. We would hunt in groups to fund the treasury. Recruit top crafters to place their vendors so traffic in town would increase.

Entertainers formed troupes that would travel around and perform at events for hire. Towns would have celebrations, music, fireworks, dancing. The socialization was at its peak.

Bases became focal points for the GCW, defending and attacking, when one went “hot” hundreds of players would be on hand. Theed was a kill zone as was the Bestine-Anchorhead corridor.

Jedi were rare and as the game progressed, more found their way to the Force. But through perma-death, saber TEF and eventually visibility and the BH, showing off with a LS was a bad thing. Removing the BH gank squad made us Jedi more brazen and may have been the first sign of the down hill slide. Jedi should have remained in the shadows.

I remember traveling across many planets and stopping off in camps on a regular basis. Players just out and about were never hard to stumble across. The Master Ranger camp was a sight to see. If they had a dancer, it was a chance to heal up a bit and move on. Before leaving you could often barter for a new pet or some food or drink. Few knew I was a Jedi, it was much safer that way. Regular clothes, carrying a rifle or carbine, with my LS in the tool bar just in case I was not as careful as I thought I was.

Back to a big city, get your speeder, armor and weapon repaired. It was always nice to find a smuggler and get those new items sliced. Stop by the local cantina and enjoy some music and get a mind buff, hit a star port and have a doctor buff you up. Then back out to the open spaces, never far from action.

Player run night clubs sprang up, rented juke boxes, exotic dancers, beauty pageants and just a place to hang out, waiting for the next assault on the enemy or hunting party. At one pageant, with about two hundred in attendance, a beautiful young Jedi was competing, when a BH attacked, the fight spilled out into the street and raged on for 20 minutes before she managed to escape. I cannot imagine a more “Star Warsy” scene then a fight breaking out in a Star Wars bar.

You didn’t have to run around to find PvP, it would always find you if you were not alert. NPC’s could unmask you as well, and many times you would have to fight your way out of town. For a Jedi, that meant visibility for sure. Time to be extra careful. But if laying low was your thing for the moment, there were 100 places to go and things to do. Tend to your factors, restock, shop, socialize, hunt, the Vette, Theme Parks, The Warren, Black Sun Bunker, etc… The server forums served as After Action Reports that made the slow times at work more enjoyable.

New players would seek help, and many did help. Taking them under their wing, showing them the ropes, forging bonds, weaken by the tears of this dying game, and friend’s lists evaporated as gamers left for greener pastures.

You really carved out your own existence, the greatest Star Wars saga ever told, yours… and if you ran the course and wanted a change, you could start over, 31 more times if it suited you.

Many of us have moved on, others stay and pray that the greatness of this game will return. Still others, like me, pay for a month here and there just to check in and see for ourselves.

For me, there is a soothing, surreal feeling when I hear the opening music. I stand above my home on Tatooine, in Storm’s End, a town we forged from the sands in a place called The Valley of the Wind. I watch the twin suns set over the mountains and remember what the game was like. It truly breaks my heart to think of the friends lost and the good times we had, gone forever, like the sands in a storm. I wait a bit longer, check my empty friend’s list and log off.

Yes, we were adventurers, explorers and soldiers, and it was the best of times.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Lunchbox76

Dont worry it will be back but not by soe. I cant give you anymore info then that. Dont want to get banned and all that.

One of the stickies at the top of this forum, and the Veteran's Refuge, contain the relevant subject. The owners of this site really REALLY don't want this matter discussed.

Originally posted by ArcAngel3

Originally posted by SgtFrog

Pre-cu through the eyes of a fellow veteran player:

The game was just out of beta and 40 of my guild started playing. I was one of my group’s “Planet Side” testers/players, having beta tested it. We are 200 strong spread out now over 8-10 different games.

I would tune in the SWG channel on TS and listen, it was amazing to here the accounts of things across the galaxy as seen through the eyes of noobs. Everyone was a noob. I had to be a part of this.

I got the game and away I went. There were people everywhere. Cantinas were jammed, star ports as well. People running across Dath, no speeders yet. Fighting rancors and nightsisters. Squills and Tuskin Raiders were things to avoid on our home planet. The Corellian plains and the swamps of Talus, filled with big cats and their babies was a great place for the CH, but a dangerous one as well.

The crafting was amazing as well, folks dedicated themselves to mining, harvesting or buying the best resources, looting or buying skill tapes, and the items they made were top shelf. We knew who they were and we haggled for the best price. Weapons, armor, BE clothing, foods, drinks, etc…

The fighting classes would hire out to protect crafters as they tended their harvesters, or just paid us to bring home the best meat or bone, when ever it would be located that month at various places across the galaxy.

The player cites became sophisticated and well thought out. We would hunt in groups to fund the treasury. Recruit top crafters to place their vendors so traffic in town would increase.

Entertainers formed troupes that would travel around and perform at events for hire. Towns would have celebrations, music, fireworks, dancing. The socialization was at its peak.

Bases became focal points for the GCW, defending and attacking, when one went “hot” hundreds of players would be on hand. Theed was a kill zone as was the Bestine-Anchorhead corridor.

Jedi were rare and as the game progressed, more found their way to the Force. But through perma-death, saber TEF and eventually visibility and the BH, showing off with a LS was a bad thing. Removing the BH gank squad made us Jedi more brazen and may have been the first sign of the down hill slide. Jedi should have remained in the shadows.

I remember traveling across many planets and stopping off in camps on a regular basis. Players just out and about were never hard to stumble across. The Master Ranger camp was a sight to see. If they had a dancer, it was a chance to heal up a bit and move on. Before leaving you could often barter for a new pet or some food or drink. Few knew I was a Jedi, it was much safer that way. Regular clothes, carrying a rifle or carbine, with my LS in the tool bar just in case I was not as careful as I thought I was.

Back to a big city, get your speeder, armor and weapon repaired. It was always nice to find a smuggler and get those new items sliced. Stop by the local cantina and enjoy some music and get a mind buff, hit a star port and have a doctor buff you up. Then back out to the open spaces, never far from action.

Player run night clubs sprang up, rented juke boxes, exotic dancers, beauty pageants and just a place to hang out, waiting for the next assault on the enemy or hunting party. At one pageant, with about two hundred in attendance, a beautiful young Jedi was competing, when a BH attacked, the fight spilled out into the street and raged on for 20 minutes before she managed to escape. I cannot imagine a more “Star Warsy” scene then a fight breaking out in a Star Wars bar.

You didn’t have to run around to find PvP, it would always find you if you were not alert. NPC’s could unmask you as well, and many times you would have to fight your way out of town. For a Jedi, that meant visibility for sure. Time to be extra careful. But if laying low was your thing for the moment, there were 100 places to go and things to do. Tend to your factors, restock, shop, socialize, hunt, the Vette, Theme Parks, The Warren, Black Sun Bunker, etc… The server forums served as After Action Reports that made the slow times at work more enjoyable.

New players would seek help, and many did help. Taking them under their wing, showing them the ropes, forging bonds, weaken by the tears of this dying game, and friend’s lists evaporated as gamers left for greener pastures.

You really carved out your own existence, the greatest Star Wars saga ever told, yours… and if you ran the course and wanted a change, you could start over, 31 more times if it suited you.

Many of us have moved on, others stay and pray that the greatness of this game will return. Still others, like me, pay for a month here and there just to check in and see for ourselves.

For me, there is a soothing, surreal feeling when I hear the opening music. I stand above my home on Tatooine, in Storm’s End, a town we forged from the sands in a place called The Valley of the Wind. I watch the twin suns set over the mountains and remember what the game was like. It truly breaks my heart to think of the friends lost and the good times we had, gone forever, like the sands in a storm. I wait a bit longer, check my empty friend’s list and log off.

Yes, we were adventurers, explorers and soldiers, and it was the best of times.

very good read.

thanks.

man game sounded amazing..

the world was very group orintated unlike most mmorpg atm...and was player run...

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803
    Originally posted by CasualMaker

Originally posted by Lunchbox76

One of the stickies at the top of this forum, and the Veteran's Refuge, contain the relevant subject. The owners of this site really REALLY don't want this matter discussed.

Because this site, like much of the "gaming press", is really just another advertising medium for the game companies.

Who, like all good corporations, hate competition.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• GrandAmGrandAm Member Posts: 404

ArcAngel mentioned dance troops in one his replies.  They were awsome.  I started in CU but they were there as well.  In the NGE I have yet to see them at any time of play.  I have seen some Ents. working together but never more than two or three.  Usually those two or three I saw alone working by themselves.  During the last vet trial I went into ME cantina and didn't see any troops.  When I traveled around and hit other cantinas I didn't see any entertainers at all.  This was on Chilestra.

The best troop I saw in CU days was on Bria.  They were six dancers all dressed and coordinated to look like the Brady kids from the Brady Bunch Show.  They had all their names and performed like the originals did back on the Brady variety shows in the 1970s.  That was certainly the most funny and awsome thing I have ever seen non-combat toons do in this game.  You could tell a lot of thought and work went into it.

I wonder if they are still around?  Has anyone else seen them before or seen them lately?  I wonder if any of the original troop members visit these forums?

"Suddenly, thousands of Trekies whose heads are full of facts of things like the stardate when the Cardassians farted on Deep Space nine are irrlelevant." - hardcoremoviecritic

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

/nitpick ON

That should be "troup", not "troop". Same pronunciation, and in fact derived from "troop", but different now.

/nitpick OFF

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931
    Originally posted by GrandAm

ArcAngel mentioned dance troops in one his replies.  They were awsome.  I started in CU but they were there as well.  In the NGE I have yet to see them at any time of play.  I have seen some Ents. working together but never more than two or three.  Usually those two or three I saw alone working by themselves.  During the last vet trial I went into ME cantina and didn't see any troops.  When I traveled around and hit other cantinas I didn't see any entertainers at all.  This was on Chilestra.
    The best troop I saw in CU days was on Bria.  They were six dancers all dressed and coordinated to look like the Brady kids from the Brady Bunch Show.  They had all their names and performed like the originals did back on the Brady variety shows in the 1970s.  That was certainly the most funny and awsome thing I have ever seen non-combat toons do in this game.  You could tell a lot of thought and work went into it.
    I wonder if they are still around?  Has anyone else seen them before or seen them lately?  I wonder if any of the original troop members visit these forums?

I was regularly playin in a band and dance group made up of 20 players (yup 20 in one group back in pre-cu).  We had all the moves and flourishes down, and dancers would group flourish to sychronize their routine.  I had a dance fx bot that played smoke and light shows.  The joint was hoppin' man, totally.  It was nuts, and boy was it fun.  It was nothing to see 2 or 3 full groups of 20 in one cantina.   Not only that, but you could find the cantinas this packed on Tatooine, Corellia and Naboo all at the same time.  I'm not exaggerating, this was a common occurence.  A couple times everyone in the cantina crashed to desktop.  We figured it was because the place was just too packed lol.  Been a long time since SWG had a problem like that I bet.

This brings me to another major difference between pre-cu and NGE.  Pre-cu was jam-packed.  I played mainly on two servers, Bloodfin and Ahazi, and man they were jammed.   I'd sometimes pop over to Bria because that community was a little nuts lol, in a good way.  Crazy role-play antics going on there.  Honestly, this was a phenomenon, not just a game.  It only didn't realize it's full potential in my view because it was broken and incomplete, and because customer serviced largely sucked.  I did have a few good customer service experiences early on, but this dropped off sharply as we got closer to the CU, and it would only add insult to injury to try to access customer support after the NGE.

• ebonfireebonfire Member UncommonPosts: 160

the long dark tea time of the soul...