Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good news, the next generation MMORPG is soon to be released, it's a little too hardcore though!

123457»

Comments

• javacjavac Member Posts: 1,175
    Originally posted by rikilii

I somehow doubt that DF has been in 7 years of 100 percent full on development.

The difference is that DF has only been developed by a team of 25-30 people for those 7 years, not a team of 100s like WAR, WOW, AoC etc.

• snowmonkysnowmonky Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Blodpls

I fully agree with the op.  Unfortunately the majority of gamers these days do not.
    They like their grinds.
    They like their epic lootz.
    They like being herded.
    They don't want risk.
    They don't want to think.
    They don't want actual skill to be the deciding factor in pvp.
    Sad but true :(

That is true. It's even creeping upon the FPS genre.

Edit: I'm not waiting for Darkfall, though. I just gave up on MMORPGs for the time being.

www.oblinq.com/SnowmonkeysTemple/

• airstrikeairstrike Member UncommonPosts: 373

You guys havent even seen a real pvp video with UI and a full actual fight and you hype it soo much and asked others to do the same ... fanatical followers ? ..

Originally posted by airstrike

You guys havent even seen a real pvp video with UI and a full actual fight and you hype it soo much and asked others to do the same ... fanatical followers ? ..

try watching the latest video, there are plenty of fights and the UI has been shown in numerous videos and screenshots now... the UI is minimal (to heighten immersion) and it's easy to miss.

good luck with it.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515
    Originally posted by javac

try watching the latest video, there are plenty of fights and the UI has been shown in numerous videos and screenshots now... the UI is minimal (to heighten immersion) and it's easy to miss.

good luck with it.

Yea problem is that latest video is Scripted.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• GalaturcGalaturc Member Posts: 48

You will not find your generic MMORPG UI in Darkfall. No name tags (except for your current opponent's health box), no level/class/skill level signifiers, no arrows/spots on your radar, no scrolling damage points, no auto targeting. You will only have a small quickbar which you can also set and assign shortcut keys to skills/spells and for your items such as potions.

Fanatical followers? We're just trying to introduce the game to the MMORPG members who were unaware of Darkfall, and long term followers who quit following. My aim is to try to change the bad impressions many other posters (both Darkfall fans and vaporware trolls) have created about Darkfall previously.

Apparently, you're not aware of the latest Darkfall video or not fully informed about it. Why not ask and learn? If you're not comfortable with Darkfall Forums and their members, you can post it here, and I'm sure me or someone else will gladly help you out.

Originally posted by HYPERI0N

good luck with it.

Elaborate please?

If what you meant was, it looked as if they seemed to create a scenario for their gameplay video, I don't see why it's a problem. Instead of showing some horde of players aimlessly hitting and killing, they tried to demonstrate some specific situations that you will often see in a game.

The first scene was a castle intrusion where small groups (5 vs 5) having a local PvP is demonstrated.

The video shows how magic and combat goes hand in hand in PvP if you choose so, huge naval battles, several battle ships that come in different sizes, piracy, cannons and attacking a fortress from a coast.

They also have tried to demonstrate the cities, trading, player versus player interaction, crafting, banking system, and user UI to an extent.

Later in the video, you can see a 100 vs 100 battleground where Mirdain Elves, Humans and Dwarves are taking on Orks and Mahirims, how cavalry will be useful in battles, how a city siege will work out, some special siege vehicles, and how a city is destroyed (literally).

However, you should understand that this game is still in closed beta at the moment. They were able to prepare a simple animation for each probable occasion players will face in the given situations of the video. Therefore, it's very likely that current feel of the game from the video will be critically improved and there will be many more animations (such as more varieties of running, jumping, falling to the ground, death, bow shooting, melee swing animations, etc), explosion and magical effects added to the game prior to the release. I'm hopeful that much more sound effects will also be recorded by professionals and implemented prior to the release.

You can see at least one type of each of these animations/effects that demostrates the most important features of the game during the video.

Originally posted by HYPERI0N

good luck with it.

sure makes a lot of sense to script the whole 17 minute video when they could have just played the game with fraps running, right? and i suppose they were lying about the "100% in-game footage" as well?

some people are truly clueless.

An interesting poll that has recently been posted on Darkfall forums demonstrates how balanced the PvP will be between PKs, Anti-PKs and neutrals.

Contrary to what some speculators suggested in this thread about how Darkfall will turn out to be a gankfast to scare away non-PvP types, te polls clearly shows how most players will actually play it to enjoy the freedom and immersions (similar to UO and SWG) made available for casual players.

Please read on and feel free to join the discussion here:

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=70860

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776
    Originally posted by Ohforfsake

Wall of text is long, but yes I agree. There has been a severe shortage of Darkfall-type games over the past few years.

The op just put waaay too much into that post but I hope Df does deliver and even if not I hope they can atleast convince other companies to try to offer such open play.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776
    Originally posted by Galaturc

An interesting poll that has recently been posted on Darkfall forums demonstrates how balanced the PvP will be between PKs, Anti-PKs and neutrals.
    Contrary to what some speculators suggested in this thread about how Darkfall will turn out to be a gankfast to scare away non-PvP types, te polls clearly shows how most players will actually play it to enjoy the freedom and immersions (similar to UO and SWG) made available for casual players.
    Please read on and feel free to join the discussion here:
    http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=70860

Agreed I played SWG during some of it's "open world pvp" and of course I got ganked but I didn't die to players any more so than I did to pve mobs so I personally don't worry too much about people crying gank fest. Believe it or not some people who enjoy pvp enjoy it for the challenge of playing against a player every pvp player is not some ganker just looking to make others lives miserable from my own experience I'd say most pvpers fall in the latter category I hope when the game comes out I enjoy it enough to stay on but I'm fairly certain I won't be "pushed" out of the game by pvp gankers.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

Darkfall Beta began today. I guess we will find about the game very soon. Cheers to all vaportrolls!